ADVERTISEMENT

Instate Recruiting

CatColumbia

All-American
Apr 19, 2014
One day in Lincoln, the next day in Orlando
With the recent Florida departures, do we repurpose those scholarships for a few instate players in this class?

Cole Payton (Would he flip this late in the game?)
Isaac Zatechka
Avante Dickerson (Will he flip?)
Keegan Johnson (Any chance he comes here rather than Iowa?)

Payton is going to North Dakota State where they have actually been successful putting quarterbacks in the NFL. You're not going to flip him. He couldn't be going into a better situation. Never thought I'd say that. Dickerson is still gettable I think. Just use the look how much we suck, you'd play right away here line

I didn't like Dickerson whatsoever last year, but man that kid improved A TON as a football player this year. Probably worth taking a shot at him...it's not like he's committed to Ohio State or anything.

Saying that, I doubt they ever completely stopped recruiting him anyways.

Reactions: headcard
With the recent Florida departures, do we repurpose those scholarships for a few instate players in this class?

Cole Payton (Would he flip this late in the game?)
Isaac Zatechka
Avante Dickerson (Will he flip?)
Keegan Johnson (Any chance he comes here rather than Iowa?)
Is Zatechka a D1 player? It doesn’t look like has any D1 offers. Not even from the Dakota schools or Wyoming.

Last edited:
Is Zatechka a D1 player. It doesn’t look like has any D1 offers. Not even from the Dakota schools or Wyoming.
I'll be surprised if he doesn't walk on. Pops doesn't need NU to pay for his school. He may be telling schools he has no interest in going anywhere else. Offers are self reported so take offer lists with a grain of salt. Physically I think he looks like a D-1 linemen but I haven't seen him play.

Reactions: headcard and WHCSC
I'll be surprised if he doesn't walk on. Pops doesn't need NU to pay for his school. He may be telling schools he has no interest in going anywhere else. Offers are self reported so take offer lists with a grain of salt. Physically I think he looks like a D-1 linemen but I haven't seen him play.
If Mark Pelini can play D1 football. Anyone can. I believe he was a slot receiver at Mooney then packed on about 100lbs of flab and started at Center for us. Most egregious case of nepotism I've ever seen.

If Mark Pelini can play D1 football. Anyone can. I believe he was a slot receiver at Mooney then packed on about 100lbs of flab and started at Center for us. Most egregious case of nepotism I've ever seen.
Zatechka at least looks athletic and is already I think up around 270.

Cole Payton received a call from Coach Frost the day after he won westside a state title

thanks but no thanks was his answer

it's too bad, because he'd probably start the second he set foot on campus. then again, NDSU would be double-digit favorites against NU, so that's likely true for most of their players.

Reactions: newAD
It is not where the recruits come from that matter, it is what you can get them to do once they get on campus.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Cole Payton received a call from Coach Frost the day after he won westside a state title

it's too bad, because he'd probably start the second he set foot on campus. then again, NDSU would be double-digit favorites against NU, so that's likely true for most of their players.
I wonder if he offered him at quarterback. It would be really disappointing if an in-state recruit preferred North Dakota State to us if both offered at the same position.

I wonder if he offered him at quarterback. It would be really disappointing if an in-state recruit preferred North Dakota State to us if both offered at the same position.
I'm not sure where else he'd want him. clearly the best QB in the state, ready to play now.

NDSU has sent their last 3 QBs to the NFL, two of them top 5 picks (this years' will be likely top 3 and Wentz was #2), and the other is an Omaha kid (Easton Stick)

I don't see a world in which a quarterback chooses to play for NU over NDSU

Last edited:
I thought we expressed interest in him as a LB a while back, but he wanted to play QB. Maybe they are interested in him as a QB now too.

I wouldn’t blame him. NDSU has a good thing going on with QB’s right now.

I have relatives that have season tickets in Moorhead and one of them told me “ I watched Nebraska this year and I feel sorry for you, right now who wants to play for Nebraska anymore”😩

That was a tough pill to swallow when a FBS school is twice as good as Nebraska at this current time.🤨

I'd never seen Payton play so I just watched his hudl file - this kid looks to be exactly what Frost wants in his QB.

Not to take anything away from Haarberg, but this kids file is much more impressive and he seems to fit the mold of a 'Frost QB' better as well. I think this loss is going to sting.

Reactions: scarletred
I'd never seen Payton play so I just watched his hudl file - this kid looks to be exactly what Frost wants in his QB.

Not to take anything away from Haarberg, but this kids file is much more impressive and he seems to fit the mold of a 'Frost QB' better as well. I think this loss is going to sting.

Why he never offered a Class A QB over a Class C QB has to do with himself playing for Wood River is the only thing why he would do it...

Maybe I’m off my rocker on this but really, I seen Payton play and he is a winner..

Why he never offered a Class A QB over a Class C QB has to do with himself playing for Wood River is the only thing why he would do it...

Maybe I’m off my rocker on this but really, I seen Payton play and he is a winner..
I don’t think that’s true. Haarberg is a good prospect. The kid had D1 offers from schools like Vanderbilt, Boston College and NC State. He is very talented. I don’t think the reason he was offered was simply he played the same level of football as Scott Frost. Nothing against Payton, he may deserve an offer too, but he doesn’t have anywhere near those kind of offers and he has to get way more exposure than Haarberg, playing on one of the best teams in the Midwest.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and WHCSC

I hadn’t heard that, but I’ve heard from some people on Westside’s staff that there’s no way he would come to Nebraska, even as a QB. Very disappointing because watching him in the championship game was eerily like watching Frost back in the day. With all that talent on the field, he was the best player. At least on that day.

I don’t think that’s true. Haarberg is a good prospect. The kid had D1 offers from schools like Vanderbilt, Boston College and NC State. He is very talented. I don’t think the reason he was offered was simply he played the same level of football as Scott Frost. Nothing against Payton, he may deserve an offer too, but he doesn’t have anywhere near those kind of offers and he has to get way more exposure than Haarberg, playing on one of the best teams in the Midwest.
NDSU would be favored in games against all of those schools, just like they would be against NU

It’s a far better football offer.

Reactions: newAD
NDSU would be favored in games against all of those schools, just like they would be against NU

It’s a far better football offer.
OK, if you say so. But the point remains Haarberg isn’t some slug, he is a National recruit with a lot of good offers. For whatever reason Payton doesn’t have any P5 type offers. I’m not against offering the kid, but see no reason to downplay Haarberg. HH is 6’6 with a huge arm and is athletic. Granted the staff could fail to develop him and mess it up, but when is the last time we’ve had a QB recruit like that?

Last edited:
Reactions: red scowl
OK, if you say so. But the pint remains Haarberg isn’t some slug, he is a National recruit with a lot of good offers. For whatever reason Payton doesn’t have any P5 type offers. I’m not against offering the kid, but see no reason to downplay Haarberg. HH is 6’6 with a huge arm and is athletic. Granted the staff could fail to develop him and mess it up, but when is the last time we’ve had a QB recruit like that?
If I say so? Those are academic schools, with the exception of NC St, which is an ACC bottom feeder.

NDSU would be favored by multiple touchdowns over each. That’s not really up for debate.

Hopefully Haarberg is good. Payton looks cant-miss. The fact they were after him at another position is laughable.

Reactions: huntered
If I say so? Those are academic schools, with the exception of NC St, which is an ACC bottom feeder.

NDSU would be favored by multiple touchdowns over each. That’s not really up for debate.
Multiple P5 offers is better than no P5 offers, that isn’t up for debate. Iowa was going to offer Haarberg soon too, I’m sure we would have all loved to see him go there. HH is a very good prospect and it would have been nuts not to offer him.

Reactions: tdierberger
Multiple P5 offers is better than no P5 offers, that isn’t up for debate. Iowa was going to offer Haarberg soon too, I’m sure we would have all loved to see him go there. HH is a very good prospect and it would have been nuts not to offer him.
When your instate school calls and you tell them no thanks, perhaps it’s a clue you’re heart’s set on trying to be the next top 5 pick at a perennial powerhouse?

My guess is he told every coach to save their offers, just like he did Frost.

I hope Haarberg is the next tom brady. I also fully expect to never see him on the field.

I think this would be a good year to take some of these home state guys. They'll stay here so you can develop them, and they'll also help with the culture. I would think. With all the restrictions on visits, it would make sense to me.

Save the scholarships for 2022. We seem to give them out like M&M's anyway. However, if can pull off a huge upset this weekend at Purdue, those 4 stars might be coming in droves.

When your instate school calls and you tell them no thanks, perhaps it’s a clue you’re heart’s set on trying to be the next top 5 pick at a perennial powerhouse?

My guess is he told every coach to save their offers, just like he did Frost.

I hope Haarberg is the next tom brady. I also fully expect to never see him on the field.

Frost couldn't develop Tom Brady to be Tom Brady if his life depended on it. At least not yet anyway....rooting for a big turnaround, but i've seen nothing from this staff that would lead me to believe they could field a winning team with Brady or even Mahomes, right now.

I'm to the point that I don't care what the recruits ranking or stars. If it's more likely that the guy is gone in 9 months, then the whole thing is worthless. We need guys to go through the program, mature and provide depth.

Reactions: HominidHusker

Hopefully Haarberg is good. Payton looks cant-miss. The fact they were after him at another position is laughable.
I don't know. Boston college is a pretty salty program. They could play with just about any team in D1

how you dont recruit a kid who can run when the opportunity presents itself, can pass more than 20 yards on the run, can see the field and recievers coming open and hit them with a spiral, tuff enough to play lb if things dont quite workout at qb. i just dont get it. how many coaches and consultants do we have recruiting for us? no wonder we have so many dumb fk saturdays. the sell out will soon be gone.

Reactions: CatColumbia
No, it wasnt! What was most egregious was all of Barney Cottons sons getting scholarships and passing or slow playing Ott, Phillip's, and Bazata to name a few. That was bullshit and beyond comprehension!

Reactions: scarletred
So it sounds like we need to recruit scared? Take the sure bet Nebraska kid because we think he will stay. Is that the plan?

Sounds like a sure winning combination to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT