ADVERTISEMENT

Infographic: Why the road to the playoff starts on signing day

Anybody that thinks recruiting rankings (at a macro level) doesn't matter is either delusional or lying to themselves. You have to have grapes to make the wine and recruiting rankings are, on a macro level, pretty dang good.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Anybody that thinks recruiting rankings (at a macro level) doesn't matter is either delusional or lying to themselves. You have to have grapes to make the wine and recruiting rankings are, on a macro level, pretty dang good.

Truth. Which is why I don't understand all the talk about how this staff runs circles around Pelini in recruiting when they still have some work to do to even reach the average Pelini class ranking. For all the talk about private planes, recruiting resources, etc etc this class is going to be ranked about the same as what Pelini got out of a tank of gas

Truth. Which is why I don't understand all the talk about how this staff runs circles around Pelini in recruiting when they still have some work to do to even reach the average Pelini class ranking. For all the talk about private planes, recruiting resources, etc etc this class is going to be ranked about the same as what Pelini got out of a tank of gas

This class isn't over yet. We will see tomorrow how it rounds out.

I think this staffs classes feel different because we aren't scrambling to get Glenn Irons and we don't have a fluff recruit like Monte Harris or Bubba Starling. Also, winning recruiting battles verse Ohio State (possibly others) makes it feel different.

We shall see.

Reactions: arf_man and timnsun

I think this staffs classes feel different because we aren't scrambling to get Glenn Irons and we don't have a fluff recruit like Monte Harris or Bubba Starling. Also, winning recruiting battles verse Ohio State (possibly others) makes it feel different.

We shall see.
Can't like this enough... JLB has been saying the same thing in three different threads; even if we finish around a Pelini finish, don't tell me this is exactly the way Pelini went about recruiting as well (not saying you're saying hat JLB, but you sure are implying that there isn't a difference if we finish with a similarly ranked class).

Maybe we miss out on some and don't close like we wanted to, but I do see us trending up moving forward... these coaches will continue to improve our recruiting moving forward.

We'll see how things shake out tomorrow. Recruiting rankings are as good an objective barometer as we have. Arguing that a #22 Riley-led class is much better than a #22 Pelini-led class seems awfully subjective.

I would think that maybe someday we can put all of this talk to rest that ratings and stars do not matter. They do and there is plenty of evidence to back that up. Will there be the occasional "diamond in the rough" or two or three star who make waves and become All Americans? Certainly, but they are the exception, not the rule.

I would also hope that Riley and Company are setting the table for the future. I am hopeful because I simple don't know, that they are filling the pipeline for future years. This isn't about a one and done deal, recruiting for 17 ends tomorrow and starts tomorrow.

There is no way I would want that pressure year and year out.

We'll see how things shake out tomorrow. Recruiting rankings are as good an objective barometer as we have. Arguing that a #22 Riley-led class is much better than a #22 Pelini-led class seems awfully subjective.
In theory, I agree. That's why I emphasized GretnaShawn's post. I think he did a good job pointing out the inflated nature of Pelini's classes when you factor in the attrition.

Maybe Riley's classes will experience the same attrition (Stephenson and Grimm are 2 obvious examples), but it seems too early to tell if this will continue to be a trend.

Also appreciated the post about beating out the big dogs for many of these recruits. Maybe pelini did as well, I don't know. I just don't remember it that way quite so much.

In theory, I agree. That's why I emphasized GretnaShawn's post. I think he did a good job pointing out the inflated nature of Pelini's classes when you factor in the attrition.

Maybe Riley's classes will experience the same attrition (Stephenson and Grimm are 2 obvious examples), but it seems too early to tell if this will continue to be a trend.

Also appreciated the post about beating out the big dogs for many of these recruits. Maybe pelini did as well, I don't know. I just don't remember it that way quite so much.

Lots of factors and you are both on the mark - another is the holes that past coaching staffs have had. Seemed like the past staff would have a couple bad years in a row at certain positions and it would eventually come back to haunt. It is one thing to have a top 15 class with a bunch of say LB's because that year was full of them when you really needed a bunch of OT's but couldn't snag one or two. And of course, if they don't stick around, you have zero shot and that totally compounds the failed years.

Reactions: timnsun

Recruiting matters. Recruiting rankings -- especially when done by ESPN of all people -- do not. Not clicking on that link, but let me guess...ESPN wants you to pay their monthly rate to get access to their rankings? No different than Rivals. These people are doing anything they can to get you to pony up! Whether you fall for it is up to you.

We shall see.

This is the big thing. We aren't battling Akron and Maine for guys. We're going right after the same guys USC, Oregon, and other top programs are. Can't remember a year where I could watch so many of our recruits on YouTube at the camps.

This is the big thing. We aren't battling Akron and Maine for guys. We're going right after the same guys USC, Oregon, and other top programs are. Can't remember a year where I could watch so many of our recruits on YouTube at the camps.

cmon .. if the above were true in significant numbers ... it would be reflected in the rankings .... maybe we are going head to head with the top programs more but if they don't sign it doesn't matter

its ok to acknowledge that as far as rivals rankings are concerned Riley and Pelini are recruiting at the same level without having to manufacture reasons why a class ranked 23 in 2017 in better than a class ranked 23 in 2011. Ultimately it is what you do with your recruiting classes and I hope Riley wins at a higher rate than Pelini did while continuing to represent the program in a professional manner

cmon .. if the above were true in significant numbers ... it would be reflected in the rankings .... maybe we are going head to head with the top programs more but if they don't sign it doesn't matter

its ok to acknowledge that as far as rivals rankings are concerned Riley and Pelini are recruiting at the same level without having to manufacture reasons why a class ranked 23 in 2017 in better than a class ranked 23 in 2011. Ultimately it is what you do with your recruiting classes and I hope Riley wins at a higher rate than Pelini did while continuing to represent the program in a professional manner

One area that I like Riley's classes better is that Riley is better at filling holes across of variety of needs and position groups. If we have some busts at each position, we'll still have contributors left. I think we'll have a better top to bottom talent level given the same Pelini rating.

I also think the talent level among Riley recruits is more even than a Pelini class. Instead of a couple of banner RB's followed by "who ever heard of this guy and why did we offer Jan 27th to play safety?" there is good star weight across the position groups instead of letting the law of averages bring the trailers up.

Riley as of yet, doesn't seem to have a problem keeping most of his recruits and he might actually get a 22nd ranked class onto the field. Pelini's classes while IMO good enough on paper, often boiled down to the headliners of the class never making it to campus, being injured, or leaving the program. In effect, Pelini never played with a 17th or 25th ranked class, because the kids who earned him those ratings never played. Losing Grim is hardly an equivalent situation.

We should see in a couple years. If a Riley series of 22nd ranked classes end up with a nation leading 18 walk-on players or whatever it was in the two deeps, on the 2019 roster, then you'll know that a 22nd ranked class in 2017 is the same as 2011 or 13 or whatever.

One area that I like Riley's classes better is that Riley is better at filling holes across of variety of needs and position groups. If we have some busts at each position, we'll still have contributors left. I think we'll have a better top to bottom talent level given the same Pelini rating.

I also think the talent level among Riley recruits is more even than a Pelini class. Instead of a couple of banner RB's followed by "who ever heard of this guy and why did we offer Jan 27th to play safety?" there is good star weight across the position groups instead of letting the law of averages bring the trailers up.

Riley as of yet, doesn't seem to have a problem keeping most of his recruits and he might actually get a 22nd ranked class onto the field. Pelini's classes while IMO good enough on paper, often boiled down to the headliners of the class never making it to campus, being injured, or leaving the program. In effect, Pelini never played with a 17th or 25th ranked class, because the kids who earned him those ratings never played. Losing Grim is hardly an equivalent situation.

We should see in a couple years. If a Riley series of 22nd ranked classes end up with a nation leading 18 walk-on players or whatever it was in the two deeps, on the 2019 roster, then you'll know that a 22nd ranked class in 2017 is the same as 2011 or 13 or whatever.

don't necessarily disagree except for the fact that Riley's classes haven't been subjected to time as yet to see which recruits might wash out

also if what you say is true then Riley should win at a much higher rate than Pelini .... hopefully this will be prove to be true

We don't necessarily have to win against those teams to be successful in recruiting. Just making the relationships, getting recruits to visit and see the gameday experience, and putting the brand out there are very important. This is where Bo failed hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT