ADVERTISEMENT

In what year did you become a die-hard Nebraska fan?

1965; when our family moved to Nebraska. It was painful to see our undefeated Huskers go down in defeat to Alabama in the Orange bowl. Can you believe we were undefeated that year before going to the Bowl game?
1965; when our family moved to Nebraska. It was painful to see our undefeated Huskers go down in defeat to Alabama in the Orange bowl. Can you believe we were undefeated that year before going to the Bowl game?
Early 90's I remember growing up and my dad and my uncle always watching the games, yelling at the TV. I remember my grandma always cheer for the wrong team. The huskers have always been a big part of my family since as long as I can remember. I am trying to instill that passion and husker pride in my son as well.

Reactions: BigRedBeliever
1970 remember a little bit of the ou game and the orange bowl, black & white tv with a snowy picture still remember Jerry taggie reaching over the goal line for the go ahead and winning td I also remember lots a penaltys refs called a pretty tight game

I moved to Nebraska from California in 1982. It was funny, because the first couple years, we were forced to watch Husker football in my Godparent's basement and would be pissed, because cartoons were over. I also distinctly remember the Raycom Big 8 game of the week and watching a lot of Sooner football, too. By 1986, I stopped resisting and was Big Red, through and through. I was more upset after that OU game than when I found out Santa Claus wasn't real and Darth Vader used to be a good guy. I religiously listened to Kent Pavelka and Gary Saddelmeyer. When the Huskers lost, I truly believed the sun wasn't coming up, ever again. I remember the post-game call in shows on KFAB, and all the hate for TO and Charlie McBride and why we couldn't be more like Miami, FSU and Oklahoma. The Bob Devaney prediction show, was pure gold.

GBR

OK, OK, OK. We get that you are old! No need to repeat yourself. Winking

WHAT?!!
FnlwAwc.gif

Reactions: Sinomatic
While listening to Bobby Reynolds run, run, run.

Reactions: bigboxes
Tarheelhusker didn’t know you were one of use old timers.

What a sneaky way to root out the blue hairs. I started cheering for the team in 2017 on my 18th birthday. How do like them apples?

Rooting out the blue hairs, eh? Hell, I wish I had hair!!
Sorry for the late replies, I got in my afternoon nap.

34800701446_9c6f14cc4a_b.jpg

dad got our first color tv the week before the GOTC from some 'connections' he had in omaha.

it was glorious.

Started following in 1963. Became a fan for life in 1964. Cried because of a loss the first time when Alabama and Bear got us in the Orange Bowl 39-28!

I have a vague memory of watching either the 71 or 72 Orange Bowl game in our living room (not sure which game). I also remember watching the 71 OU game at some friends house on Thanksgiving. I was 7 at the time. My first 3 games I went to were 1975 LSU, 1977 Alabama and 1978 OU. That last two were huge wins. I was hooked.

1977/78 here. Finally beating OU only to lose to Mizzou following that win. Then the OU rematch in the Orange bowl memories that still seem strong all these years later. I think the biggest memories back then was turning Lyle up on the radio with the tv volume off when they were on tv.

January 1, 1971. Orange bowl against LSU. I was six years old and my 8 year old brother and I listened thru the air vents as my folks had a watch party going on that night. we listened to the whole game instead of being in bed!

I have a vague memory of watching either the 71 or 72 Orange Bowl game in our living room (not sure which game). I also remember watching the 71 OU game at some friends house on Thanksgiving. I was 7 at the time. My first 3 games I went to were 1975 LSU, 1977 Alabama and 1978 OU. That last two were huge wins. I was hooked.

I took my two little brothers to the 78 OU game. People were crammed in there so tightly. You're right it was a huge win. Billy Sims coughed it up on our 3 yard line with a few seconds remaining. Earlier we witnessed Rudd blasting the OU return guy who fumbled but refs gave it back to them. It was the most electrifying hit I've ever seen. Even guys in the restroom right after that were doing "light" body slams to each other. Then we surrounded the OU cheerleaders by the south end zone goalposts. The state patrol were guarding them. They formed a double file to get them out of there and then posts came down. Last time I saw the the crossbars was later that night on TV and they were heading south at 27th and O.

Our family moved from Omaha to Phoenix Az in Sept of 1968. I was 5. I recall going to 1st grade the following year wearing my Husker football shirt. No one in 1st grade knew of the Huskers but i bleed Husker red. We moved in 1971 to a city called Glendale AZ in Feb of 1971 and that November our neighbor a Oklahoma Grad bet my dad a bottle of whisky on what became known as THE GAME OF THE CENTURY..... SO YA I HAVE BEEN A DIE HARD FAN SINCE AGE 5. Even though i graduated from Arizona State....

January 1, 1971. Orange bowl against LSU. I was six years old and my 8 year old brother and I listened thru the air vents as my folks had a watch party going on that night. we listened to the whole game instead of being in bed!
This was mine as well, I was 7 and watched at our neighbors, parents going crazy and us kids were in to it!! Haven't missed a game since via radio or tv.

1980. Moved to Sidney from California. Couldn't listen to Cal games anymore so I needed someone to listen to. It was all over after that.

Last edited:
1980. Moved to Sidney from California. Couldn't listen to Cal games anymore so I needed someone to listen to. It was all over after that.
January 1, 1966. I was 9, a month away from being 10, growing up in Omaha. Was just getting into football that fall and watched the Orange Bowl vs. Alabama with my father. Old black-and-white TV. It was magical, and I remember it as if yesterday. NU was 10-0, going for a national title. Everyone was so excited. Every time the announcer said the word "Nebraska," I thought they were talking to me. After all, they were talking about where I live! My hero became Bob Churchich that day, and I was scarred at the 'Bama win. 39-28, I still recall the score. I've been an addict ever since.

Omaha born in '69. Was sometime in the mid 70's I recall tho when I walked into our living room on a game day. Up to that point I had never in my life heard my mom use a curse word. I believe we were playing Oklahoma.. anyway I remember as if it were yesterday and her screaming at the tv - get that son-of-a-b%$#h!!! She literally scared and scarred me simultaneously that day. I was on board shortly thereafter tho. Remember getting a Marvelous Jarvis baseball liner at the Sears or JC Penney's in the south roads mall. Loved that shirt. Had a paper-route delivering the world herald and remember the day after losing the Nat Champ when Osborne went for 2. That next day was the coldest, quietest, most melancholy day. I was almost done with my route and was looking over this farmers fallow field while the sun was setting and just felt as if I had gotten punched in the gut. Moved out to California in '92 and have great memories watching the huskers smash the competition in those awesome mid 90's years. Once I was on a business trip in Hawaii and had met a young lady out at a club. Long story short we ended up back at my hotel and she was a bit dismayed when at about 4:30 in the morning I got out of bed to put on the game! There was no way in hell I was going to miss seeing Tommy Frazier in action sweetheart! Live on the central coast now and always thought I'd grow to like following a PAC 12 team.. still waiting for that to happen. I've seen the huskers the times they've played in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl and then once at the LA coliseum.. Anyway can't wait for the Frost era to begin as it's been tough sledding being a husker fan for the past 2 decades that's for damn sure.

1962. I was 10. Listening on the Radio back then like everyone else. Used to take a bus to the games when I was a kid, sponsored by KBRX, the Radio Station in O'Neill, Nebraska. Trip to the game, game ticket and trip back to O'Neill after the game. Seems to me that is was like $10/person for all of that back then.

I remember some of my early favorite players like Dennis Claridge and Freddy Duda at QB. I always wanted to play like they did. Wayne Meylan was Dick Butkus to me. He was my favorite player back then.

Wow, I can remember so many of the players coaches from those days...but I have no idea what I had for breakfast this morning.

Earliest memories - the 68 or 69 OU game at my Great-grandparents house in Omaha (I was 4 or 5).
Die-hard fan - 77 when SI had the IM Hipp article.

CC

Dad is from Omaha and has always been a huge Husker fan, so I watched all the games with him from when I was very young. But it was '92 or '93 when I started intentionally watching and appreciating Big Red Football. Back then, you had to get creative to see games living in Washington State. Lots of sports bars in the 90's and early 2000's. Went to the Fiesta Bowl for the '95 game and had the time of my life watching them pound Florida. Come to Lincoln about once a year now to catch a game.

1967 OU beat us bad, I was 7, first time I remember my father swearing.

OU won bad... Real bad.

I listened to every game since if I could. I missed lots in the 80s living in Fairbanks, but 50 years now. I am so old.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT