ADVERTISEMENT

In the cold hard light of day....

.....we won....
- we got outgained by double
- we seemed to play ‘ not to lose’ in second half... my son said at half” put the foot on the throat”... we didnt
- some young kids played☺
- a win is still a win
( and we got a bonafide hoopster)

bring on the Illini🏈
Yes a win is a win. I will take it. But my biggest concern going forward was how soft our defense was against the run. Penn State has struggled to run the ball all season, but not against us. Iowa will ram it down our throats if we don’t improve there.

Scott going into a shell like a turtle in the second half is playing not to lose. Personally I would prefer he keeps playing to win games but that’s just me.

I Agree. Scott was way too conservative in the second half and I thought the coaching staff bogged down the offense with their slow play calling. The Huskers need to play faster. Not on the last drives when they were trying to take time off the clock, but earlier taking those time outs because the play clock was winding down. It forced the offense to be lethargic. Let’s Go! Play faster. Was I the only one who wasn’t thrilled with the play calling in the first half when the Huskers had to settle for a FG after Kade missed an easy TD catch? The two plays before that was running a smallish Wan’Dale between the Tackles. That showed no imagination. On the first play I thought Luke could have strolled in on the left side if he had kept the ball. He needs to have a talk with Crouch.

Jmo since frost has struggled his first 2+ years I think he trying to hard to win to please the fans himself, coaching at your Alma mater is more pressure to be successful, look at harbaugh at Michigan and he inherited way more talent than frost did. frost is now starting to second guess himself which isn’t good. He needs to turn the play calling over to the offensive coordinator

Coaches yes players no, 2 stops inside the red zone counts for something doesn’t it?
Plenty on both sides. OL couldn’t protect or run the ball, if we open up some holes we run out the clock and don’t need the stops in the red zone. Finishing games remains an issue, even though we came out on the right side this time.

Last edited:
Yes a win is a win. I will take it. But my biggest concern going forward was how soft our defense was against the run. Penn State has struggled to run the ball all season, but not against us. Iowa will ram it down our throats if we don’t improve there.
You posted that we weren’t going to win. Then we won. And now the goal posts move. Some are impossible to keep happy.

Reactions: chicolby
Goal posts have moved? I have said the same things all year. And I was happily wrong in my prediction.
I’m not sure if it’s the Bo Pelini syndrome of squeaking out ugly wins or just an inferiority complex that Nebraska football has done absolutely nothing in two decades, but this mindset that you cannot critique a Nebraska football team after a win is mind boggling.

I’m not sure if it’s the Bo Pelini syndrome of squeaking out ugly wins or just an inferiority complex that Nebraska football has done absolutely nothing in two decades, but this mindset that you cannot critique a Nebraska football team after a win is mind boggling.
This entire thread, and the lion’s share of this board, have been critiquing the staff and players since the final whistle blew yesterday.

This ‘mindset’ is entirely a figment of your imagination.

This entire thread, and the lion’s share of this board, have been critiquing the staff and players since the final whistle blew yesterday.

Did I post any inaccurate stuff in my post?

@B1G RED RULES care to comment?

I know today's a day you didn't wish to see. like I said, OP's criticism is founded. your post is that of a teenage girl.

let's hear it, big guy. assuming there's anything to say.

huskers looked like shit, and beat a team that looked worse. no problems were solved. but, we won. I'll take an ugly win over an ugly loss any time.

unlike you, presumably.
Funny to see the same posters saying we would get killed bitching after we win.
...before the season that we would beat Penn State and our fan base would not be happy after the game. 2020 has been crazy!
You posted that we weren’t going to win. Then we won. And now the goal posts move. Some are impossible to keep happy.
This took a couple minutes to find. Could find a lot more.

Scott going into a shell like a turtle in the second half is playing not to lose. Personally I would prefer he keeps playing to win games but that’s just me.
Do we have the personnel to open it up without self destructing? If you look at the criticisms of QB play, and pretty much all our offensive players (OL even), does anyone really think we could have opened it up? I do not have the answer but I think there is a real question whether or not we could have.

That's because we played with only two real D-linemen for much of the game. I guess so Chinander could get more crappy OLB's on the field?

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
.....we won....
- we got outgained by double
- we seemed to play ‘ not to lose’ in second half... my son said at half” put the foot on the throat”... we didnt
- some young kids played☺
- a win is still a win
( and we got a bonafide hoopster)

bring on the Illini🏈

"I never apologize for a win" Carl P

Plenty on both sides. OL couldn’t protect or run the ball, if we open up some holes we run out the clock and don’t need the stops in the red zone. Finishing games remains an issue, even though we came out on the right side this time.
And if we catch a sure TD in the first half that gives us 4 more points. The last PSU drive probably isn’t quite as stressful in that scenario.

Reactions: headcard
I was happy with the win. Needed it badly.

In reflection, we scored a defensive touchdown and they had two chances with first downs inside the 10 yard line that yielded no points. Defense played great on both those sequences.

I came away feeling lucky to win...but you do make your own luck.

Reactions: Rick.Shaw
Frost was playing consevative with all the young pups that played in the skill positions and havingto learn at a faster rate than they would normally have to and maybe only know half the playbook as well as maybe only half of their assignments and the same can be said about knowing what their resposibilities are also. People on here don't seem to get that there are growing pains in this O and need to deal with it and get over themselves. Before the season In the WR room, the only 2 with really any type of experience was Robinson and Warner and Falck even though he transferred in. The RB room was in the same situation as Mills and Johnson were the only 2 with returning experience mostly Mills though.

Last edited:
For all the people complaining that Frost coached “not to lose” I might remind you that the team “didn’t lose”.

If he’s out there slinging it, people ask why he didn’t run more and take clock.

For a fan base that hasn’t enjoyed much winning, it’s amazing that people find a way to gripe when they do.

Nebraska was an underdog playing against a team projected to be in the top 10. A supposed “angry” team looking to get their first win.

We saw some great stuff yesterday. We saw a freshman QB add a spark. We saw a couple freshman WRs make plays. We saw the coaches get the ball in the hands of Robinson. We saw the Blackshirts bow up twice when it mattered keeping Penn State out of the end zone.

Looking at the schedule with Ohio State, Northwestern and Penn State, I’d say 1-2 is the best anyone thought was reasonable. And here we are. Let’s see if we can string together a few wins and build some momentum.

For all the people complaining that Frost coached “not to lose” I might remind you that the team “didn’t lose”.

If he’s out there slinging it, people ask why he didn’t run more and take clock.

For a fan base that hasn’t enjoyed much winning, it’s amazing that people find a way to gripe when they do.

Nebraska was an underdog playing against a team projected to be in the top 10. A supposed “angry” team looking to get their first win.

We saw some great stuff yesterday. We saw a freshman QB add a spark. We saw a couple freshman WRs make plays. We saw the coaches get the ball in the hands of Robinson. We saw the Blackshirts bow up twice when it mattered keeping Penn State out of the end zone.

Looking at the schedule with Ohio State, Northwestern and Penn State, I’d say 1-2 is the best anyone thought was reasonable. And here we are. Let’s see if we can string together a few wins and build some momentum.
Technically we should be 2-1 right now as we most certainly should've beaten NW. We lost that game ourselves as they didn't beat us, we beat us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT