ADVERTISEMENT

In my many decades of watching Husker football

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
I've watched a lot of teams. There's only a few that I find truly memorable. One was a Tagge and Kinney led championship team. One was the team that beat Florida in the Fiesta Bowl. One was the Gill led team that fell just short. One was Frost's last year. Now...I am thinking that this team is one that I am going to remember as fondly maybe as all of those great Husker teams. I love this team. Losing record or not, I love what I see happening on this team and what it is going to mean for our school going forward. I won't remember all of the guys individually I'm sure but this is a team that will stick in my memory bank.

4+ decades.....arrived in Bellevue (AF) in early 1974

First game watched...

09/14 Oregon Lincoln W 61-7 7/ 76,053

Lots of pizza, nachos and wings.

Been a Husker for 44 years.

Now retired in Michigan.

This is a great 'turnaround' scrappy team......love to watch them get better every week.

...the future looks very bright indeed.

I've watched a lot of teams. There's only a few that I find truly memorable. One was a Tagge and Kinney led championship team. One was the team that beat Florida in the Fiesta Bowl. One was the Gill led team that fell just short. One was Frost's last year. Now...I am thinking that this team is one that I am going to remember as fondly maybe as all of those great Husker teams. I love this team. Losing record or not, I love what I see happening on this team and what it is going to mean for our school going forward. I won't remember all of the guys individually I'm sure but this is a team that will stick in my memory bank.

The 1993 team comes to mind, the odds against them just staying close to FSU in the OB were huge, absolutely NO ONE outside of the team and fans gave Nebraska a shot to even be within the spread that game.

And the 1994 team, what can you say. Frazier goes down Berringer goes down, Turman plays steady enough to keep things afloat, and the Blackshirts, wow, just WOW, with their year long performance, along with solid Special Teams.

Especially if the next several years turn out to be good, the senior's laid the foundation

After having to watch years of Clownahan & Smiling Mike moving NU to the bottom of the bucket.....like you, I most GREATLY love & enjoy seeing SF & staff turn this horrible mess around.

Reactions: Crushinator
Hope we beat Iowa, it will be nice for the board to have this kind of attitude all off-season instead of the spit and vinegar that we'll hear for months if we lose.

First game watched...

Now retired in Michigan.

This is a great 'turnaround' scrappy team......love to watch them get better every week.

My very first Husker game in person. Oregon 1974.

Our wingback, Don Westbrook, had a pretty good game I remember.

Reactions: GoBluePureMichigan
The 1993 team comes to mind, the odds against them just staying close to FSU in the OB were huge, absolutely NO ONE outside of the team and fans gave Nebraska a shot to even be within the spread that game.

And the 1994 team, what can you say. Frazier goes down Berringer goes down, Turman plays steady enough to keep things afloat, and the Blackshirts, wow, just WOW, with their year long performance, along with solid Special Teams.

Do you mean that Turman? Matt Turman, HC of 2018 Class B State Champ Skutt Catholic.

First game watched...

Now retired in Michigan.

May I ask, where in Michigan? Standing in Union Pier now, missing Empire.

Amen, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Our standards slip further every year. We are going to be 5-7 at best. That’s nothing to celebrate.

We do have a brilliant young QB, the team has improved, and next year’s schedule looks much easier. But the ink isn’t even dry on a 4-8 or 5-7 season and people here are happy?

Remember a few short years ago when many people here made fun of Bo’s assistants for hooping & hollering about 9 wins? Apparently not.

Would have loved to have seen this offense with an off-season Farmer at center and a descent defense, historically. GBR

Our standards slip further every year. We are going to be 5-7 at best. That’s nothing to celebrate.

We do have a brilliant young QB, the team has improved, and next year’s schedule looks much easier. But the ink isn’t even dry on a 4-8 or 5-7 season and people here are happy?

Remember a few short years ago when many people here made fun of Bo’s assistants for hooping & hollering about 9 wins? Apparently not.
It’s not a zero sum game for everyone. As long as they are tangentially connected to higher education, there is a teaching and growth component to cfb. This team is one to be proud of for many reasons. No criminals, found their backbone, some electricity, and one that grew.

You missed the point of the post completely. Carry on...

You missed the point of the post completely. Carry on...
No kidding. Nobody said they are happy with the overall record. But is there something wrong with finding things to like about this team? Personally, all things considered, I've felt better about this season than some of our 9-win seasons. It's all about the potential and where this program is headed. I haven't been this optimistic about the future in a long, long time. And I don't feel like I am kidding myself in being that optimistic. And I feel like most of our fans feel it too-there seems to be a sense of pride and excitement among the fans that I haven't seen for a long time.

There is plenty from the 2018 team that people will remember. Some good and some bad but it’s definitely been a fun and frustrating ride.

Vacationed in Michigan last year. I must say that is a beautiful state. Lots of places to see that were amazing. Sleeping Bear Dunes was neat. We’ll definitely get back to explore more Michigan sometime.

Hi Mel!

We are in Glen Lake Michigan.....enjoying life and a very beautiful part of the country. Sleeping Bear Dunes is our backyard.

Best to you,

GBR
Beautiful. I’ve climbed that dune and hiked those forests many times. But since we bought here we haven’t been back. I miss it. Good for you. Sounds like a great place to settle in.

glass+half+full

I've watched a lot of teams. There's only a few that I find truly memorable. One was a Tagge and Kinney led championship team. One was the team that beat Florida in the Fiesta Bowl. One was the Gill led team that fell just short. One was Frost's last year. Going to be fun to watchNow...I am thinking that this team is one that I am going to remember as fondly maybe as all of those great Husker teams. I love this team. Losing record or not, I love what I see happening on this team and what it is going to mean for our school going forward. I won't remember all of the guys individually I'm sure but this is a team that will stick in my memory bank.

I have to agree. Win or lose tomorrow it has been a very memorable season. It has laid a strong foundation and it is fun to watch what will be created. The contrast of the two halves of the season have been so dramatic and it is so much fun to see things finally click. For so many years the end of the season has been a picture of collapse and created a fog for the rest of the year. It s a true joy to enter the off season with a true sense of hope. Not the destination but the journey. Really enjoying the trip.

Agree. This team, this entire program is 180 degree different from where it was in August, and light years ahead of where we were a year ago. Frost has brought an excitement to this program that has been missing since January of 1998. It’s been a tale of two seasons this year. And going forward I think we can expect our seasons to look much more like the second half of 2018. GBR!

First game watched...

Now retired in Michigan.

Bobby Moore in that game I believe... The future Ahmad Rashad

Funny...this season has been really fun.

Maybe it's watching the team grow under Frost.

I saw real passion again.
Yep. I remember after win 3, when Mick went down at the end, but got up, threw the bones and limped off...and Coach Frost's reaction to that, thinking, "I never thought I would be this pumped for a win #3, in November!":Cool:

No kidding. Nobody said they are happy with the overall record. But is there something wrong with finding things to like about this team? Personally, all things considered, I've felt better about this season than some of our 9-win seasons. It's all about the potential and where this program is headed. I haven't been this optimistic about the future in a long, long time. And I don't feel like I am kidding myself in being that optimistic. And I feel like most of our fans feel it too-there seems to be a sense of pride and excitement among the fans that I haven't seen for a long time.
I was at the MSU game. A 3 win team in terrible weather....and the place was nearly full. GREAT atmosphere. No bitching about the offense OR defense in the stands that I heard. That is unusual. It was just a fun fun atmosphere with everybody pulling in the same direction.

Reactions: Truehuskerfan
wow, talk about clueless. This group had to be shown and taught how to function all the day long here. From food, to weight room to study and trust each other. Building a championship culture isn't about ending year one 4-8 or whatever, it's about weeding out the losers who don't want to do the hard work M-F correctly, and properly teaching those who are hungry and passionately want to succeed. At no point this season did they get down and quit, it's a constant passionate fight and want too. There's a recognizable difference already from the soft disenfranchised only here for the gear and/ or to steal paychecks crews from the recent groups. And yes, for this I am grateful.

Reactions: 8lack5hirt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT