In case you wanted to buy a vehicle anytime soon.

LightningJack

Sophomore
Gold Member
Mar 19, 2002
I would get off the fence really quick. There is a Global Microchip shortage for new vehicles. I just got into a new Suv after my other one needed $$$ out of warranty. I couldn't wheel and deal like I normally like too on a new one cause Dealerships don't have the inventory right now. They're selling closer to MSRP than ever before on some models.

The bright side is you can get pretty good money for your trade right now because they need inventory. They paid mine off, gave me 1K in equity knowing it needed $2500 in repairs and it was 8 years old. I got them to match the online offers I got from Carvana & Vroom to sell it. So I came out ok, I would move sooner rather than later if you want a new vehicle.

https://www.ketv.com/article/global...ar-dealerships-with-little-inventory/36304538

GBR

LightningJack

Sophomore
Gold Member
Mar 19, 2002
Have they gone all electric yet? Looking for about a 2015 Cummins
Don't think so (hope not) If you look and see what some new vehicles are selling for and then check the price a 1-2 year old used vehicle. Just buy the new one, almost no difference. Used car prices are Insane, go new if you can afford it.

I went to Baxter Toyota Lavista and they had 1 Tacoma & 1 Tundra on the lot. Some of the higher end Suv's and big Trucks people are paying over MSRP and you can't find them.

OneBadHuskerFan

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2014
Austin, TX
I drive a 2011 Mazda 6 and usually get a new car every 10 years or so, but right now I'm out. ypically I'll buy a new car at the end of the selling cycle since there are usually some great deals out there when they are trying to clear out stock for the newest year model. Those deals basically aren't existent lately.

Also, the shortages of just about EVERYTHING right now is crazy. Came across a thread on Reddit about the costs of lumber right now and it's just ridiculous.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
Also, the shortages of just about EVERYTHING right now is crazy. Came across a thread on Reddit about the costs of lumber right now and it's just ridiculous.
This is very true and really the biggest problem in front of us right now (and the biggest threat to recovery).

Hopefully production will ramp up again for everything, but it's like turning a giant ship, it takes a minute

LightningJack

Sophomore
Gold Member
Mar 19, 2002
I drive a 2011 Mazda 6 and usually get a new car every 10 years or so, but right now I'm out. ypically I'll buy a new car at the end of the selling cycle since there are usually some great deals out there when they are trying to clear out stock for the newest year model. Those deals basically aren't existent lately.

They've said the supply chain will catch up, but might be later in the summer. I'd still look around, you might have to look at a different Brand or Model. But there are still some good deals out there.

Your right about Lumber, been reading about it since the Pandemic started. We just got priced out the house we wanted. $400k was our top dollar, got told we'd have to go 425k without any upgrades to get it. So were skipping the custom, hoping to do semi-custom at that price. If not will buy existing, I just didn't want to get into a pricing war for something I like/not love.