ADVERTISEMENT

In 2018, Kirk Ferentz was the Worst Coach in the Power 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is great our coach who just went 4-8 isn’t considered a bad coach. I salute Iowa, another award they can add to their trophy case. The question is will Kirk get a raise from this award?

I would gladly wager a lot of money on this. I think it will be a good game and close. winner will be decided late. But Nebraska won’t win by at least 14. Iowa’s defense is going to be very very good. The dline will be better than it was last year and will maul that oline. Nebraska’s defense will be better than last year I’m sure but you have to be better than trash to get halfway to the fans expectation in Lincoln. Iowa’s defense will be better than Nebbys by a lot and nebbys offense will be better than Iowa’s by a pretty decent amount especially when you throw in big play ability that you have with your skill players and your qb who I think is best in the conference. But trenches win in the Big Ten. Iowa will still have that advantage this year. Average olines get exposed against good dlines. Nebby needs to figure that out. I’m sure frost will get there just might take more than one year to get there. I just hope both teams are ranked and both teams are playing for the right to rep the west in the conference title game. And Iowa wins.

Try not to have too much fun ripping this post apart with “Iowa sucks” replys

Bottom line is who ever comes into this game healthy at important positions wins this game..

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Technically Iowa got Penn St..
Moving forward we flipped for Michigan and Herky ended up with Rutgers.o_O

That is right they flipped for who played who for 4 years.:cool:
Not really, we have played them 4 times Iowa played them 5.

My head hurts after getting caught up on this train wreck thread. It’s pretty sad how people treat each other based on the accomplishments of 18-22 year old kids. It’s almost as sad as seeing parents get in a brawl at their 7 year old girls softball game. Shameful.

To be fair, it's a homer board. Here the home team fans can say pretty much what they want. Outsiders, if not fearing a violation, should act respectfully when visiting. Even if someone is being a total ass, you'll be backed up by more than a few if you keep your cool. You can see a handful of Iowa trolls ITT. That's probably what some wanted. Feel the need to go all homer and defend your turf? Head back to your home board and get it out of your system. You've fared pretty well on this board, TBH.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
To be fair, it's a homer board. Here the home team fans can say pretty much what they want. Outsiders, if not fearing a violation, should act respectfully when visiting. Even if someone is being a total ass, you'll be backed up by more than a few if you keep your cool. You can see a handful of Iowa trolls ITT. That's probably what some wanted. Feel the need to go all homer and defend your turf? Head back to your home board and get it out of your system. You've fared pretty well on this board, TBH.
Boxes you need to speak s l o w l y f o r i o w a f a n s

Iowas defense gave up 400 yds to a first year coaching staff, running back,qb with its second most effective wr out,at their house,and gave up 28 pts, 10 more than their average.
Nebraskas offense was held slightly below their average yds per game, however scored just 2 points less than their average.
After three converted 4th downs,iowas defense couldnt stop that freshman qb, and Nebraska scored, tho still needed a 2 pt conversion to tie, which iowa still couldnt stop.
Having a similar record to Bo, KF shouldnt be so embraced at iowa, but yet he is, and since Bo ,its obvious to all, iowa should have won, as Bo owned KF.
Iowas had the same structure for so long because of KF and his long lasting staff, which is admirable, they simply lack the knowledge and understanding of what happens in a coaching change, as Husker nation has too often been reminded.
Sorry iowa boys, your best most beloved simply is no better than Bo, and even lost overall to him, a guy we sent home.
Knowing how to win a natty, check,our coach knows, knows how to recruit, and has already something KF will never do, go undefeated, so those days of yore is instantly on SFs mind, he unlike all iowa fans, knows what it takes to get there, and win.
Again, something KF will never have.

Reactions: RedMyMind
No, the difference is Iowa has stuck with a mediocre coach, nationally speaking.

While Nebraska has shot for the moon, Iowa is still plugging nickles
I don’t think that’s a fair statement. Kirk doesn’t fit the “mediocre” because he hasn’t been “not good”. He has been good, not great.

Nebraska got kind of lucky that Frost went to Lincoln. Nebraska got an unproven NFL coach, a defensive coordinator, and a failed NFL, below average coach when they tried “to shoot for the moon”. If Frost didn’t go to Nebraska, he doesn’t accept the job.

I’ve stated before that I would still trade 2015 for having a new coach after the 2014 season so I’m no Kirk homer, but he is above mediocre by definition.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
I don’t think that’s a fair statement. Kirk doesn’t fit the “mediocre” because he hasn’t been “not good”. He has been good, not great.

Nebraska got kind of lucky that Frost went to Lincoln. Nebraska got an unproven NFL coach, a defensive coordinator, and a failed NFL, below average coach when they tried “to shoot for the moon”. If Frost didn’t go to Nebraska, he doesn’t accept the job.

I’ve stated before that I would still trade 2015 for having a new coach after the 2014 season so I’m no Kirk homer, but he is above mediocre by definition.
You have some good points, and I realize you didn’t start this tread. At least you look at it with open eyes. Just like most of us did under bozo. Riley on the other hand ugh, although I did support him simply because he was our head coach. I wouldn’t say Kirk is mediocre but to me if I’m a Iowa fan I’m disappointed because he hasn’t lived up to expectations

Since 2015 or New Kirk or Ferentz 3.0 whatever you want to call it Iowa is 12th in total wins among P5 teams from 2015-2018. That is one less win than Michigan and Penn St and only 3 wins shy of being in 6th behind Wisconsin. That's more wins than Notre Dame, LSU, TCU, USC, Auburn or Florida. In that same time period Nebraska is 83rd in wins amongst all teams (I am not taking the time to take out non P5 teams)one ahead of Iowa State, Indiana and Syracuse.

Since 2015 or New Kirk or Ferentz 3.0 whatever you want to call it Iowa is 12th in total wins among P5 teams from 2015-2018. That is one less win than Michigan and Penn St and only 3 wins shy of being in 6th behind Wisconsin. That's more wins than Notre Dame, LSU, TCU, USC, Auburn or Florida. In that same time period Nebraska is 83rd in wins amongst all teams (I am not taking the time to take out non P5 teams)one ahead of Iowa State, Indiana and Syracuse.

Wow since 2015. Grats.

LoL, you guys played for national titles decades ago. You guys love your history, because you haven't done anything in so long, you regurgitate stats from days gone by that happened before some of you were even born. You guys winning another will never happen, you just aren't smart enough to figure it out.

18 year old kids don't care what your program did in the stone age. You got a little hype with Frost as your new coach, but that will end quick if you don't win. But you guys keep telling us what is going to happen, even though you say it every year, and have been wrong for a while now
this right here is an always Iowa fan all the time post, you summarize your fan base perfectly

New Kirk.... Iowa at its best, everything before deserves an asterisk.....

I really pity iowa fans down the road, with no record of true greatness, their so called great coach will retire some day.
Oh, to be sure, iowa will supposedly nail it right out the box on their new coach. They have no idea.
If you have a former player thats coached an undefeated team, coached in the cfb playoffs, played defense in the nfl, played qb on a national champion team, been both offensive and defensive coordinators, then iowa fan, you too might have your Scott Frost.
Also, that guy needs to have recruited a heisman qb, top five nfl caliber college qbs etc.
Now, lets see, back to KF, Cowterd called it like it was, a mirage,iowa wasnt that good, losing to a team that lost to Nebraska,and getting destroyed in their bowl game, again, a bridesmaid making things look ugly in her brightest moments.

The only team in iowa is iowa state. If KF does good enough, he may get the luxury of coaching the Cyclones.

The only team in iowa is iowa state. If KF does good enough, he may get the luxury of coaching the Cyclones.

ISU isn’t that stupid. They have personally watched and seen Kirk the lame duck Ferentz win SQUAT with Iowa. Campbell is 5 times the Head Coach then Kirk is. Iowa is the only place for Ferentz...there is a reason no other team has EVER tried to hire Kirk. Two first round TEs, a solid WR, a QB projected well off in the future draft, a solid oline and RBs and they still barely break above 100th ranked offense. Pathetic!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: RedMyMind
ISU isn’t that stupid. They have personally watch Kirk the lame duck Ferentz win SQUAT with Iowa. Campbell is 5 times the Head Coach then Kirk is. Iowa is the only place for Ferentz...there is a reason no other team has EVER tried to hire Kirk. Two first round TEs, a solid WR, a QB projected well off in the future draft, a solid oline and RBs and they still barely break above 100th ranked offense. Pathetic!!!

There are shots you take when arguing with someone that sometimes you say to emphasis your point in a heated debate that are like half true but really your just saying to attack the other side and get a response but this is the kind of crap anyone with a brain and understands and follows college football laughs at. Maybe not here on this board but if Ferentz was available from 03-15 and you don’t think a ton of power 5 schools wouldn’t have wanted him you are the definition of stupid. Nobody would probably want him now no because he’s going to retire here soon come on. NFL teams have Poked around for like 15 years but Kirk wouldn’t do well with all the personalities that make up an nfl team.

Iowas defense gave up 400 yds to a first year coaching staff, running back,qb with its second most effective wr out,at their house,and gave up 28 pts, 10 more than their average.

You can even take it a few steps further than "2nd most effective wr out."

1. I will argue Spielman was Nebraska's MOST effective receiver. But that's open to interpretation.

2. ONLY ONE SCHOLARSHIP RECEIVER CAUGHT a PASS for NEBRASKA in that game. - Stan Morgan.

Huskers completed 10 passes to the running backs, 4 passes to the Tight End, 7 to Morgan, and then 4 to Warner, the Walk On back up to Spielman.

I have to laugh when Iowa fans think they've seen the peak of Nebraska's offense. That scheme is built to stretch the field vertically and from sideline to sideline. Nebraska nearly beat them when Iowa really only had to defend one receiver.

Next time these two teams take the field Nebraska will have the following personnel:

Z- Kanawai Noa/ Andre Hunt/ Woodyard
X - Spielman/ Warner/ Mike Williams
R- Wandale Robinson / Miles Jones
TE - Stoll/ Allen/ Rafdal
RB - Washington (yes I believe he will be there)/ Mills/ Rahmir Johnson

Yeah, and it is our worst period of Nebraska football in which we brought in a new, highly touted, coach. What is your point? Good for Iowa. They had a great year in 2015 that is helping that stat out. After that it'll be around 7-5 to 8-4 for the next 5-6 years and then Kirk will probably have another good season because that is what your team is. The comedy is Iowa fans thinking Nebraska isn't improving. Most of the talking heads are even taking notice and it is their job to dive into the stats. I'm sorry Iowa can't see it but Nebraska is getting better and the days of dominating a bad coach on his last leg is going to be over. Iowa is still going to win against Nebraska in years to come. That's football and it will happen, but the days of dominating Mike Riley are over.

Wow since 2015. Grats.
Yeah, I’ve congratulated some of these Iowa folks numerous times on their prowess over nice guy mike and their 3 point win over SF last year. Iowa fan will always have 2015-2018 and they will always treat it like it’s proof of something. If only they were as modest in defeat as they are chest thumpers in victory. They lose all credibility as they were as insufferable when the huskers were 8-2 from the 70s -2014 as they are now. SF did in his first season what it took old split lip KF to do in 2 seasons and that is win 4 games. We’ll be fine.

I really pity iowa fans down the road, with no record of true greatness, their so called great coach will retire some day.
Oh, to be sure, iowa will supposedly nail it right out the box on their new coach. They have no idea.
If you have a former player thats coached an undefeated team, coached in the cfb playoffs, played defense in the nfl, played qb on a national champion team, been both offensive and defensive coordinators, then iowa fan, you too might have your Scott Frost.
Also, that guy needs to have recruited a heisman qb, top five nfl caliber college qbs etc.
Now, lets see, back to KF, Cowterd called it like it was, a mirage,iowa wasnt that good, losing to a team that lost to Nebraska,and getting destroyed in their bowl game, again, a bridesmaid making things look ugly in her brightest moments.

You mean 4-8 Scott Frost? Sorry Bethune-Cookman they did beat you for win #4.

There are shots you take when arguing with someone that sometimes you say to emphasis your point in a heated debate that are like half true but really your just saying to attack the other side and get a response but this is the kind of crap anyone with a brain and understands and follows college football laughs at. Maybe not here on this board but if Ferentz was available from 03-15 and you don’t think a ton of power 5 schools wouldn’t have wanted him you are the definition of stupid. Nobody would probably want him now no because he’s going to retire here soon come on. NFL teams have Poked around for like 15 years but Kirk wouldn’t do well with all the personalities that make up an nfl team.

I don't speak gibbersh.

luckily he did go to Nebraska, so all is moot. Winking

Last edited:
Yeah, and it is our worst period of Nebraska football in which we brought in a new, highly touted, coach. What is your point? Good for Iowa. They had a great year in 2015 that is helping that stat out. After that it'll be around 7-5 to 8-4 for the next 5-6 years and then Kirk will probably have another good season because that is what your team is. The comedy is Iowa fans thinking Nebraska isn't improving. Most of the talking heads are even taking notice and it is their job to dive into the stats. I'm sorry Iowa can't see it but Nebraska is getting better and the days of dominating a bad coach on his last leg is going to be over. Iowa is still going to win against Nebraska in years to come. That's football and it will happen, but the days of dominating Mike Riley are over.

good call

What's sad is you think that is some great accomplishment. Mediocrity done well does not equal excellence...

You mean 4-8 Scott Frost? Sorry Bethune-Cookman they did beat you for win #4.
Even some of your own fans have admitted it take more that a few months to developed talent. Riley had 3 years to F this team up from top to bottom. Frost had 9 months. That 4-8 team last year was more to do with Riley than Frost. Now the 4-2 team we saw the back half of last year. That was Frost starting to come through.

Not really, we have played them 4 times Iowa played them 5.

I was just pointing out who played who over that time. Not trying to make a point that one school played another or this school played Indiana more and the other played OSU more. Over time all of this stuff evens itself out. The schedule argument gets old after awhile, because regardless whether its Nebraska, Iowa, an ACC school, SEC, etc. they all even out over time. Just like if Nebraska goes 11-1 this year I'm not going to sit here and say at the end of the season...but there schedule was so easy compared to another team. If Iowa had that schedule or if Purdue had Nebraska's schedule they would have the same record. It's a silly argument people have.

Yes, one year a school may catch some breaks and the schedule is "easier" than another schools. What is perceived as an easy schedule may not be by the time they play school "x" in November and vice=versa. Fortunately, for Iowa and Nebraska they get to sort it out on the field. Guess it's all just good conversation to have in the off season for some. Just don't understand why some (not saying you) get so butt hurt or worked up about schedules like that.

Reactions: husker2612
I was just pointing out who played who over that time. Not trying to make a point that one school played another or this school played Indiana more and the other played OSU more. Over time all of this stuff evens itself out. The schedule argument gets old after awhile, because regardless whether its Nebraska, Iowa, an ACC school, SEC, etc. they all even out over time. Just like if Nebraska goes 11-1 this year I'm not going to sit here and say at the end of the season...but there schedule was so easy compared to another team. If Iowa had that schedule or if Purdue had Nebraska's schedule they would have the same record. It's a silly argument people have.

Yes, one year a school may catch some breaks and the schedule is "easier" than another schools. What is perceived as an easy schedule may not be by the time they play school "x" in November and vice=versa. Fortunately, for Iowa and Nebraska they get to sort it out on the field. Guess it's all just good conversation to have in the off season for some. Just don't understand why some (not saying you) get so butt hurt or worked up about schedules like that.
8 years is short term in large scheme of things. Im sure over the course of say 20+ years it will all even out.

North Dakota State.
Since Mediocre man took over in 99 they have lost to
Western Mich 2000
Central Mich 2012
Northern Illinois 2013
North Dakota St 2016

Bonus: For as much as Iowa yappys about Iowa St being their little bro. They are 11-9 vs Iowa st since Ferentz took over That doesn't look like domination at all. Well I guess in Iowa's mind that is probably viewed and dominating. After all getting to 8 wins is viewed as a NC in their book.

You have some good points, and I realize you didn’t start this tread. At least you look at it with open eyes. Just like most of us did under bozo. Riley on the other hand ugh, although I did support him simply because he was our head coach. I wouldn’t say Kirk is mediocre but to me if I’m a Iowa fan I’m disappointed because he hasn’t lived up to expectations
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve finally settled in to the mindset that Kirk isn’t going anywhere. Maybe it’s the fact that I know he is sticking around but, I do see things are on the uptick. Recruiting and retention has gotten a ton better with the addition of young coaches. His in game coaching has completely changed as of late too. He is a lot riskier; I.E. fake FG against Nebraska (which was dumb IMO), going for it on 4th and ten on the last drive.

Hopefully, that game day style keeps evolving because the talent is undeniably there.

8 years is short term in large scheme of things. Im sure over the course of say 20+ years it will all even out.

Yes, that is what I was referencing was over a longer period of time. I'm sure because it's Iowa/Nebraska we are talking about is why that discrepancy with Ohio St. is bothersome to those on this board. Guessing if it was Nebraska/Illinois people wouldn't make such a deal out of it.

Anyway...to the OP comment about worst coach in Power 5. I think it's a bit short cited to judge this on schedule and NFL draft picks. There are numerous schools that turn out draft picks each year and they win 7,8,9 games. To me a person needs to look at everything involved before making such a "hot take" claim. One should look at recruiting, population base to recruit from, facilities, academic standards, region of the country, development, on-field coaching, etc. I mean you go look at some of the stats of what James Franklin has done when he doesn't have Joe Moorehead as an OC it's not impressive despite the recruiting. Lovie Smith at Illinois has huge markets around him and he can't seem to develop any of these guys. Maryland has the DMV area and Under Armour in their back pocket and can't seem to get anything done on the field. Those are just some examples in which I could pull one aspect or another and then use it to make my argument as the worst coach in this division or conference.

I get it, this is a Nebraska board to the dislike for all things Iowa is high. This is the case on any message board whether it's here or the Pittsburgh/Penn St. boards. I think its enjoyable to check out the different boards, but prefer to have legitimate conversations instead of ones where I can pluck this stat or this comment to fit an agenda.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve finally settled in to the mindset that Kirk isn’t going anywhere. Maybe it’s the fact that I know he is sticking around but, I do see things are on the uptick. Recruiting and retention has gotten a ton better with the addition of young coaches. His in game coaching has completely changed as of late too. He is a lot riskier; I.E. fake FG against Nebraska (which was dumb IMO), going for it on 4th and ten on the last drive.

Hopefully, that game day style keeps evolving because the talent is undeniably there.

Ya, those 40th ranked classes prove how much your recruiting is on the up-tick.

Yes, that is what I was referencing was over a longer period of time. I'm sure because it's Iowa/Nebraska we are talking about is why that discrepancy with Ohio St. is bothersome to those on this board. Guessing if it was Nebraska/Illinois people wouldn't make such a deal out of it.

Anyway...to the OP comment about worst coach in Power 5. I think it's a bit short cited to judge this on schedule and NFL draft picks. There are numerous schools that turn out draft picks each year and they win 7,8,9 games. To me a person needs to look at everything involved before making such a "hot take" claim. One should look at recruiting, population base to recruit from, facilities, academic standards, region of the country, development, on-field coaching, etc. I mean you go look at some of the stats of what James Franklin has done when he doesn't have Joe Moorehead as an OC it's not impressive despite the recruiting. Lovie Smith at Illinois has huge markets around him and he can't seem to develop any of these guys. Maryland has the DMV area and Under Armour in their back pocket and can't seem to get anything done on the field. Those are just some examples in which I could pull one aspect or another and then use it to make my argument as the worst coach in this division or conference.

I get it, this is a Nebraska board to the dislike for all things Iowa is high. This is the case on any message board whether it's here or the Pittsburgh/Penn St. boards. I think its enjoyable to check out the different boards, but prefer to have legitimate conversations instead of ones where I can pluck this stat or this comment to fit an agenda.
I think all things being equal.. Even getting 7-9 wins as consistently as he has done it, would still be considered unacceptable for many schools. Worst in p5 is probably a bit much. I think if he was at any blue blood program he would have been fired years ago. I posted a list awhile back and figured there were probably 15-20 schools in all of P5 that would be ok with Ferentz results these last 20 years.
However that being said considering the location and resources he has to deal with I think he has done the best possible for Iowa. Iowa is not and will never be a top tier program. They won't consistently get top recruiting class and they won't get top coaches to come there. Not meant as a knock. It is what it is. Like you said recruiting sucks, locations sucks, no history to fall back on. They are constantly fighting against the current. He has been great at getting average talent and turning them into NFL guys and is able to pull out a 10+ win season here and there. While beating teams like Michigan consistently. All programs have different levels of what they classify as success. For Iowa he seems to be perfectly fine. If the AD,fans, and players are happy with Ferenetz that is all the matters.

I think all things being equal.. Even getting 7-9 wins as consistently as he has done it, would still be considered unacceptable for many schools. Worst in p5 is probably a bit much. I think if he was at any blue blood program he would have been fired years ago. I posted a list awhile back and figured there were probably 15-20 schools in all of P5 that would be ok with Ferentz results these last 20 years.
However that being said considering the location and resources he has to deal with I think he has done the best possible for Iowa. Iowa is not and will never be a top tier program. They won't consistently get top recruiting class and they won't get top coaches to come there. Not meant as a knock. It is what it is. Like you said recruiting sucks, locations sucks, no history to fall back on. They are constantly fighting against the current. He has been great at getting average talent and turning them into NFL guys and is able to pull out a 10+ win season here and there. While beating teams like Michigan consistently. All programs have different levels of what they classify as success. For Iowa he seems to be perfectly fine. If the AD,fans, and players are happy with Ferenetz that is all the matters.

If he was at a blue blood school, his recruiting classes would be much better and his results would too. This is the most obvious point that everyone not at Iowa doesn't get. You could be the best coach in the world, but if you are recruiting wise behind at almost every position, you aren't winning all the time.
Anyone can recruit at Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma etc... Coaches that fail at schools like that happen though like Texas, USC, and Florida State recently. I don't believe Ferentz would fail with those built in advantages. He puts a good number of guys in the league for a team that gets a handful of 4 stars a year, i think if he had a full deck of cream of the crop athletic kids he would be thought of as one of the best coaches in the game. Unfortunately at Iowa, that isn't going to happen. Ferentz could retire tomorrow and Saban get hired, and we still would never have a top 10 recruiting class just due to tradition and location

Can you repost that list? Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, Indiana, Northwestern, Rutgers are just from the Big Ten. Boston College, Duke, NC State, UNC, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia. There’s 14 quick ones from from two conferences without looking into things much.

If he was at a blue blood school, his recruiting classes would be much better and his results would too. This is the most obvious point that everyone not at Iowa doesn't get. You could be the best coach in the world, but if you are recruiting wise behind at almost every position, you aren't winning all the time.
Anyone can recruit at Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma etc... Coaches that fail at schools like that happen though like Texas, USC, and Florida State recently. I don't believe Ferentz would fail with those built in advantages. He puts a good number of guys in the league for a team that gets a handful of 4 stars a year, i think if he had a full deck of cream of the crop athletic kids he would be thought of as one of the best coaches in the game. Unfortunately at Iowa, that isn't going to happen. Ferentz could retire tomorrow and Saban get hired, and we still would never have a top 10 recruiting class just due to tradition and location
Laughable. Ferentz loses too many games he should win to think he would ever be an elite coach. No matter the circumstances he would always revert to the mean.

Reactions: huskerssalts

Not necessarily so. Last year you guys had a very talented team and top tier defense...and we all seen how the results faired. Kirk Ferentz just isn’t an elite Head Coach. I know you Iowa fans will get butt hurt about this comment but I’m actually being fair here. Give Iowa Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney or even Scott Frost with Iowa’s talent and team last year and Iowa would have killed it last year. For one, Epenesa wouldn’t have been a back up with any other Head Coach in the country...sorry I’m still absolutely dumbfounded that Kirk Ferentz had him backing up Nelson or Hesse. Epenesa was the best Dlineman on the team. Just stupid.

And I agree with the Husker poster above this one. Ferentz always loses to one or few teams Iowa has no business losing to. But at the same time seems to win one or two games they shouldn’t. Ferentz is so inconsistent...I guess that’s why he’s coaching Iowa and no big name team.

Last edited:
Reactions: husker2612
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT