ADVERTISEMENT

In 2018, Kirk Ferentz was the Worst Coach in the Power 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you type Scarlet your team keeps adding players to the Big Ten all-drug team. I’m guessing your plug for Phil Steele’s magazine will include guys in rehab this fall and not on the field. Good Lord someone’s in charge there right?

Players have been smoking pot for decades and decades and that includes Iowa too...

Don’t think for one minute Iowa U is mother Theresa in the college football world..

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Besides SWiowahawks we have to be getting some of the most dense posters from the state of Iowa over here...o_O
SWiowahawks
Navy-blue-fitted-suit-A-Well-Dressed-Man-2019.jpg

All other Iowa fans on here
132161_1.jpg

Holy crap you must be dense. You cannot possibly believe that what Nebraska did in the 70s, 80s, and 90s wasn't respected by every team in the country and then feared for about 6 of those years.
They were never on the level of what Alabama has been doing. This whole debate started when one of you stated Nebby would be the next Alabama which is totally ridiculous.

They were never on the level of what Alabama has been doing. This whole debate started when one of you stated Nebby would be the next Alabama which is totally ridiculous.

When they mention best college football teams of all time, the 1971 and 1995 Nebraska team always get mentioned..And that is a fact regardless how much you deny..

I get it now.... So the Hawks should strive for 4-8 correct? Or is it back to back 4-8? It’s just how life works right? I’m done here...you guys are nuts.
It's always entertaining watching posters like you with no argument devolve back into a single point even when it's no longer relevant to progressing the discussion

When they mention best college football teams of all time, the 1971 and 1995 Nebraska team always get mentioned..And that is a fact regardless how much you deny..
Honorable mention maybe, 2 teams 24 years apart don’t equate to modern day Alabama no matter how hard you spin it.

Hey, I get it, you're probably thinking this is just another Nebraska fan trying to troll in Iowa fans. That's not the case. Kirk Ferentz's performance in 2018 was easily his worst season ever at Iowa, and I will argue the worst in all of the Power 5.

The Big Ten West was terrible, and Iowa potentially 5 or 6 FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS STARTING, and 10 LIKELY FUTURE NFL Draft picks starting in their starting 22. Think about that for a moment. Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois and Purdue haven't had 10 NFL players combined over the last two NFL drafts.

Here are the draftees from 2019:

TJ Hockenson - 1st Round
Noah Fant - 1st Round
Anthony Nelson - 4th Round
Amani Hooker - 4th Round

Ok, well that's 4 guys... Two tight ends, a Defensive End, and a Safety.

But lets look at 2020 likely draft eligible players:

DE AJ Espensa - Expected 1st Round
QB Nate Stanley - projected 1st Round to 3rd Round
OT - Alaric Jackson - Projected 1st Round
OT - Tristan Wirfs - projected Round 1 to 2
DT - Cedrick Lattimore - projected 3rd to 4th Round
DE Chauncey Golston - will leave early 3rd to 4th round

In a year when a dreadful Northwestern Team won the Big Ten West let's look at Iowa's conference season:

Crossover Games: (No Ohio State or Michigan)

They play at a bad Indiana team. - Easy Win
They draw clustereff team in Maryland to Kinnick - Easy Win
Play at a marginal Penn State team (arguably the 4th best team from the East Division) - Loss, but Iowa could've easily sustained this loss and still won the West.

Iowa gets Wisconsin and Northwestern at Home.

Iowa loses to the worst Wisconsin team of the last 20 years in Kinnick
Iowa allows 200 yards rushing to a Northwestern team that couldn't run on anyone all season. Ferentz completely outschemed and outcoached by a vastly inferior team in Kinnick.
Iowa loses at a 6-6 Purdue team which still has NO depth after Brohm inherited a shitty roster. Brohm completely outschemes and outcoaches Ferentz.

Iowa draws road games at Illinois and Minnesota, the two worst teams in the West. They then get to play one of the worst Nebraska teams of all time, at home. Scott Frost completely outschemes and outcoaches Ferentz with only one Scholarship Receiver healthy for the game. But Iowa wins on a last second field goal to avoid Overtime.

Iowa NOT going 12-1 and easily winning the Big Ten West is an indictiment on Kirk Ferentz, and he seriously was the absolute worst coach in the Conference last season.

Gee, if only Football was played with 2-4 players on both sides of the ball you might have a point.

Sorry, but what Nebraska did from 93-2001 exceeded what Bama has done. What Nebraska did from 69-2001 hasnt even been touched by anyone. Ohio St is probably the only school that can lay a claim otherwise.

How many undefeated seasons does Bama have since Saban got there? How many did nebraska have in a 4 year stretch? The numbers don't lie.

Reactions: husker2612
Honorable mention maybe, 2 teams 24 years apart don’t equate to modern day Alabama no matter how hard you spin it.

Alabama hasn’t had a unbeaten team since 2009..
Which one of those teams that lost has been mentioned being the best of all time?

You’re the one trying to spine it because you don’t know the history evidently of the 2 Nebraska teams..

PS How many top10 teams did the 2009 Bama team beat since they went unbeaten...

Last edited:

Gee, if only Football was played with 2-4 players on both sides of the ball you might have a point.

Since you all insist on being here, please enlighten us as to your opinion of Iowa state football and how you feel about ISU fans.

I’ve asked a few times and no Iowa fan has had the guts to answer.

So here ya go:

The facts are that most Iowa fans feel that the Iowa football program is superior to ISU due to Iowa having more overall wins, more conference championships, more head to head wins, more top 10 finishes and the list goes on. These are the same reasons most Nebraska fans and more importantly most college football fans know that Nebraska football is vastly superior to Iowa (oh yeah and those 5 pesky NCs Nebraska has won, to Iowa’s zero AP/UPI/CFP NCs). Quite simply there is nothing for iowa fans to offer us. On the other hand if you iowa fans want to know what it’s like to cheer for a Top 8 all time team or a team with 5 legit NCs, just ask, we’ll be happy to share.

Congrats on iowas four years of sustained success against Nebraska.

I’m talking about last year 270 yards rushing 2018 Not Mike Riley....Frost was on the sideline the guy with a red N on his hat. After the game he made mention of the physicality of Iowa and the lack there of what he put on the field. I don’t care about Mike Riley I do what your fan base does....pretend “it” didn’t happen
Again he had 9 months . Riley was here 3 years, and by many player accounts there was little to no S&C those 3 years. It was a lift/ exercise when you feel like it. S&C can not turn around in 9 months after 3 years of garbage. It just doesn't work that way. So yes, Iowa was still bigger and stronger. However Neb must have did enough if it took Iowa a last second field goal to beat us? Add another year in improving S&C. Things are going to look much more different this year and going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
Since you all insist on being here, please enlighten us as to your opinion of Iowa state football and how you feel about ISU fans.

I’ve asked a few times and no Iowa fan has had the guts to answer.

So here ya go:

The facts are that most Iowa fans feel that the Iowa football program is superior to ISU due to Iowa having more overall wins, more conference championships, more head to head wins, more top 10 finishes and the list goes on. These are the same reasons most Nebraska fans and more importantly most college football fans know that Nebraska football is vastly superior to Iowa (oh yeah and those 5 pesky NCs Nebraska has won, to Iowa’s zero AP/UPI/CFP NCs). Quite simply there is nothing for iowa fans to offer us. On the other hand if you iowa fans want to know what it’s like to cheer for a Top 8 all time team or a team with 5 legit NCs, just ask, we’ll be happy to share.

Congrats on iowas four years of sustained success against Nebraska.
Got'eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeem

Sorry, but what Nebraska did from 93-2001 exceeded what Bama has done. What Nebraska did from 69-2001 hasnt even been touched by anyone. Ohio St is probably the only school that can lay a claim otherwise.

How many undefeated seasons does Bama have since Saban got there? How many did nebraska have in a 4 year stretch? The numbers don't lie.
You realize you are trying to argue facts with Iowa fans right? They aren't the best when it comes to facts, logic, stats, and reasoning. They will however tell you every single minuscule detail about the last 4 years. Nothing else matters before that.

ain't nothing wrong with a little laughter....it is just a young man's game...

....ain't nothing wrong with
5 natties
897 wins
46 conf. ships
54 all-Americans

...either....

I'll give you credit, if you give what's due as well.

Jirk HATES Bluebloods. I'm going to be laughing at that well into the next 4 years. Bwahahahahahahaha

Don't you worry, Ha_k_riter, Adrian and all of the normal kids on this side of the river will be there.
tenor.gif

Hey, I get it, you're probably thinking this is just another Nebraska fan trying to troll in Iowa fans. That's not the case. Kirk Ferentz's performance in 2018 was easily his worst season ever at Iowa, and I will argue the worst in all of the Power 5.

The Big Ten West was terrible, and Iowa potentially 5 or 6 FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS STARTING, and 10 LIKELY FUTURE NFL Draft picks starting in their starting 22. Think about that for a moment. Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois and Purdue haven't had 10 NFL players combined over the last two NFL drafts.

Here are the draftees from 2019:

TJ Hockenson - 1st Round
Noah Fant - 1st Round
Anthony Nelson - 4th Round
Amani Hooker - 4th Round

Ok, well that's 4 guys... Two tight ends, a Defensive End, and a Safety.

But lets look at 2020 likely draft eligible players:

DE AJ Espensa - Expected 1st Round
QB Nate Stanley - projected 1st Round to 3rd Round
OT - Alaric Jackson - Projected 1st Round
OT - Tristan Wirfs - projected Round 1 to 2
DT - Cedrick Lattimore - projected 3rd to 4th Round
DE Chauncey Golston - will leave early 3rd to 4th round

In a year when a dreadful Northwestern Team won the Big Ten West let's look at Iowa's conference season:

Crossover Games: (No Ohio State or Michigan)

They play at a bad Indiana team. - Easy Win
They draw clustereff team in Maryland to Kinnick - Easy Win
Play at a marginal Penn State team (arguably the 4th best team from the East Division) - Loss, but Iowa could've easily sustained this loss and still won the West.

Iowa gets Wisconsin and Northwestern at Home.

Iowa loses to the worst Wisconsin team of the last 20 years in Kinnick
Iowa allows 200 yards rushing to a Northwestern team that couldn't run on anyone all season. Ferentz completely outschemed and outcoached by a vastly inferior team in Kinnick.
Iowa loses at a 6-6 Purdue team which still has NO depth after Brohm inherited a shitty roster. Brohm completely outschemes and outcoaches Ferentz.

Iowa draws road games at Illinois and Minnesota, the two worst teams in the West. They then get to play one of the worst Nebraska teams of all time, at home. Scott Frost completely outschemes and outcoaches Ferentz with only one Scholarship Receiver healthy for the game. But Iowa wins on a last second field goal to avoid Overtime.

Iowa NOT going 12-1 and easily winning the Big Ten West is an indictiment on Kirk Ferentz, and he seriously was the absolute worst coach in the Conference last season.

b628df17183263b034c407d4ab0fb20a.gif

The last 4 years? I have been laughing at your program longer than that give credit where it’s due.
You do know that outside of Iowa, nobody cares about your never will win anything of substance football team, right? 99% of the college football world doesn’t even see your team play or care to for that matter.

You do know that outside of Iowa, nobody cares about your never will win anything of substance football team, right? 99% of the college football world doesn’t even see your team play or care to for that matter.
Even when they were undefeated and looked like a potential playoff team a few years ago, nobody cared. I can guarantee you that the next time Nebraska goes into the final week of the season undefeated the whole country will be paying attention. The rise and fall of giants is a way more interesting storyline than a middle of the road team doing pretty much anything.

And Iowa never will.
Here is what I don't understand about Iowa. They bash relentlessly on Nebraska for not only these last 4 years but for the last 15-20. The 4 years I will give them, they were a better football team no doubt about it. The last 15- 20 they have been no better than Nebraska. Would be different if Alabama or Ohio St was trash talking us. Iowa is like the weak, nerdy kid. Making fun of the weak nerdy kid. The big difference is Nebraska hasn't always been weak and disrespected by the rest of the football world, Iowa ALWAYS has been, with little to no hope of changing.

Even when they were undefeated and looked like a potential playoff team a few years ago, nobody cared. I can guarantee you that the next time Nebraska goes into the final week of the season undefeated the whole country will be paying attention. The rise and fall of giants is a way more interesting storyline than a middle of the road team doing pretty much anything.
Also that same year, nobody was praising Iowa. All the talking heads were saying Iowa didn't belong and were overrated. Nebraska gets more attention being a 4-8 team than Iowa ever will. Hell even this year, we are getting more hype coming off a 4-8 year than Iowa is coming off 8 wins. We are getting Heisman hype, we are getting predicted to win the West. We are already predicted to get 8 or 9 wins. There is a reason for that. Iowa is Iowa, they are always going to be average. Everyone in the country knows what Iowa brings to the table. Even after these last 4 years. Even after what we have went through these last 15- 20 years. I would still take Nebraska over Iowa. We at the very least try to compete for championships. We aren't afraid to make changes in attempt to get more. Iowa is happy getting their 9 win season and that will never change.

Last edited:
Im trying to think of a list of p5 schools where Ferentz would still be coaching after 20 years. Thoughts? Basically if it is a basketball school, they would be happy with Ferentz. lol

BIG10
Indiana
Rutgers
Illinois
Iowa
PAC12
Oregon St
AZ
Cal
SEC
Vanderbilt
Arkansas
Kentucky
ACC
Wake Forest
Duke
NC St
Syracuse
BIG12
Kansas
Iowa St

Im trying to think of a list of p5 schools where Ferentz would still be coaching after 20 years. Thoughts? Basically if it is a basketball school, they would be happy with Ferentz. lol

BIG10
Indiana
Rutgers
Illinois
Iowa
PAC12
Oregon St
AZ
Cal
SEC
Vanderbilt
Arkansas
Kentucky
ACC
Wake Forest
Duke
NC St
Syracuse
BIG12
Kansas
Iowa St
Good list, Iowa is a wrassling school though. o_O

Undefeated seasons is the only stat Nebraska surpasses Alabama when comparing the stretch they are on. They are also in the SEC and have played more games. I’m sorry but Alabama’s 10 year span is the best in college football history. Heck, take away 2009 and keep the same span as your 1993-2001 and it’s still not debatable.

They have lost one more game in that 9 year stretch while playing more games and by far tougher competition. 4 national titles to 3* for Nebraska. Heck, they have lost as many title games in that stretch as Nebraska won*.

This of course, isn’t even counting the undefeated 2009 season for Bama.

Heck, Clemson is in the middle of a stretch that could rival Bama some day. Their 2019 team could have a say in the best team of all time.

Last edited:
Undefeated seasons is the only stat Nebraska surpasses Alabama when comparing the stretch they are on. They are also in the SEC and have played more games. I’m sorry but Alabama’s 10 year span is the best in college football history. Heck, take away 2009 and keep the same span as your 1993-2001 and it’s still not debatable.

They have lost one more game in that 9 year stretch while playing more games and by far tougher competition. 4 national titles to 3* for Nebraska. Heck, they have lost as many title games in that stretch as Nebraska won*.

Heck, Clemson is in the middle of a stretch that could rival Bama some day. Their 2019 team could have a say in the best team of all time.
Your whole post gives evidence of why it’s debatable even though as an Iowa fan you had to put in that “it’s still not debatable.” You Iowa fans are too much. I get it that a lot of husker fans on here think you’re an “ok” Iowa fan, but to me it’s like saying a canker sore is not as bad as HSV 2, while true both are still herpes viruses.

The last 4 years? I have been laughing at your program longer than that give credit where it’s due.
Biggest question is how long does Iowa clutch on to these last 4 years? When Neb is curb stomping them year in and year out, will Iowa still be bringing up these 4 years. I am guessing yes. Beating Nebraska these 4 years is equivalent to 4 NC to other schools. Sad! I pray Neb never gets to the point that beating Iowa 4 years in a row is celebrated so much. Where one of our top goals for the year is just to beat Iowa. If that happen then we are doomed to be average forever like Iowa.

Last edited:
Biggest question is how long does Iowa clutch on to these last 4 years? When Neb is curb stomping year in and year out, will Iowa still be bringing up these 4 years. I am guessing yes. Beating Nebraska these 4 years is equivalent to 4 NC to other schools. Sad! I pray Neb never gets to the point that beating Iowa 4 years in a row is celebrated so much. Where one of our top goals for the year is just to beat Iowa. If that happen then we are doomed to be average forever like Iowa.
tenor.gif

Your whole post gives evidence of why it’s debatable even though as an Iowa fan you had to put in that “it’s still not debatable.” You Iowa fans are too much. I get it that a lot of husker fans on here think you’re an “ok” Iowa fan, but to me it’s like saying a canker sore is not as bad as HSV 2, while true both are still herpes viruses.
giphy.gif

You do know that Nebby and Iowa are normally televised on the same network, Just Saying!

They still think the 71 game was the game of the century, sheesh!

You guys can try to denigrate Iowa all you want. But Iowa State, Colorado, and Kansas State haven’t ever in any era given Nebraska this kind of rub-your-noses in it type of consecutive beatdowns that Iowa has delivered these past few years. This ain’t the Big 12 north. I think you guys need to rethink your respect game. This series is never going to have 30 game win streaks like you were used to in the Big 8.

Iowa is a peer school to you in revenue, fan support, facilities, coaches, etc. Schools like ISU and KSU are 3rd tier nobodies that will be headed downhill again once Oklahoma and Texas decide not to share TV revenue equally anymore as Big 12 revenue continues to slip. It might be easier to deal with the losses if you understand what you are dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT