ADVERTISEMENT

In 2018, Kirk Ferentz was the Worst Coach in the Power 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it, you broke it down way better then I ever could. And you just mentioned the guys being drafted...you don’t even count for the guys that signed undrafted... It’s basically what I kept saying but never had the patients enough to break it down like that. Anyone who truly looks at it the way you just explained it, could see you nailed it on the head. DEAD ON.

I kept pointing out that the Huskers with freshman and sophomores all over the place, in Frosts first year after taking over an absolute disaster for a team that Mike Riley put together...Iowa has the team with that talent...coaches that have been in place for years to 20 plus years and Frost about beats them??? Kirk literally had to pull off a last second field goal to keep it from going over time... AGAIN...in Frost year 1, with an extremely young team??? Yep...you nailed it. Then Iowa gives Kirk Ferentz a raise??? Wow!?!?

Sorry, but Frost came that close in year one while Martinez was a true freshman that didn’t play a down of football his senior year...can you imagine how year 2 will be??? No way the Huskers lose this year...not happening.
NU still lost.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
So a converted DL, got it, thanks. Iowa couldn’t do better than 9 wins with a cake schedule last season, I don’t see KF leading iowa to greater than 8-9 this upcoming season.
Oh hey, you are still around. I’m still waiting on that link that says Kirk Ferentz covers up rapes by his players.

I’d be happy with 9 wins this upcoming season unfortunately.

Looking down the road Iowa has the talent on campus to “run the table” in 2019. Thanks to the OP for pointing that out!

From a development standpoint, Nebraska was at least 2 years behind Iowa in 2018. That was the difference in the game and it was only a 3 point difference. Ferentz is an OK coach and seems to be one of the genuinely good guys in college football so I really cant say much bad about him, but objectively looking at things you have to see that Nebraska is going to pass Iowa in a very short period of time.

I just look at it this way: on a national level, is it more likely that Nebraska or Iowa becomes the next Alabama? That's a pretty easy question to answer.

From a development standpoint, Nebraska was at least 2 years behind Iowa in 2018. That was the difference in the game and it was only a 3 point difference. Ferentz is an OK coach and seems to be one of the genuinely good guys in college football so I really cant say much bad about him, but objectively looking at things you have to see that Nebraska is going to pass Iowa in a very short period of time.

I just look at it this way: on a national level, is it more likely that Nebraska or Iowa becomes the next Alabama? That's a pretty easy question to answer.
Neither?

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
Hey, I get it, you're probably thinking this is just another Nebraska fan trying to troll in Iowa fans. That's not the case. Kirk Ferentz's performance in 2018 was easily his worst season ever at Iowa, and I will argue the worst in all of the Power 5.

The Big Ten West was terrible, and Iowa potentially 5 or 6 FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS STARTING, and 10 LIKELY FUTURE NFL Draft picks starting in their starting 22. Think about that for a moment. Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois and Purdue haven't had 10 NFL players combined over the last two NFL drafts.

Here are the draftees from 2019:

TJ Hockenson - 1st Round
Noah Fant - 1st Round
Anthony Nelson - 4th Round
Amani Hooker - 4th Round

Ok, well that's 4 guys... Two tight ends, a Defensive End, and a Safety.

But lets look at 2020 likely draft eligible players:

DE AJ Espensa - Expected 1st Round
QB Nate Stanley - projected 1st Round to 3rd Round
OT - Alaric Jackson - Projected 1st Round
OT - Tristan Wirfs - projected Round 1 to 2
DT - Cedrick Lattimore - projected 3rd to 4th Round
DE Chauncey Golston - will leave early 3rd to 4th round

In a year when a dreadful Northwestern Team won the Big Ten West let's look at Iowa's conference season:

Crossover Games: (No Ohio State or Michigan)

They play at a bad Indiana team. - Easy Win
They draw clustereff team in Maryland to Kinnick - Easy Win
Play at a marginal Penn State team (arguably the 4th best team from the East Division) - Loss, but Iowa could've easily sustained this loss and still won the West.

Iowa gets Wisconsin and Northwestern at Home.

Iowa loses to the worst Wisconsin team of the last 20 years in Kinnick
Iowa allows 200 yards rushing to a Northwestern team that couldn't run on anyone all season. Ferentz completely outschemed and outcoached by a vastly inferior team in Kinnick.
Iowa loses at a 6-6 Purdue team which still has NO depth after Brohm inherited a shitty roster. Brohm completely outschemes and outcoaches Ferentz.

Iowa draws road games at Illinois and Minnesota, the two worst teams in the West. They then get to play one of the worst Nebraska teams of all time, at home. Scott Frost completely outschemes and outcoaches Ferentz with only one Scholarship Receiver healthy for the game. But Iowa wins on a last second field goal to avoid Overtime.

Iowa NOT going 12-1 and easily winning the Big Ten West is an indictiment on Kirk Ferentz, and he seriously was the absolute worst coach in the Conference last season.

I love it. Iowa sucks and so does Kirk the Jerk.

Oh hey, you are still around. I’m still waiting on that link that says Kirk Ferentz covers up rapes by his players.

I’d be happy with 9 wins this upcoming season unfortunately.

Of course you will Iowa. You’d be happy with 6 wins or more any season. A championship will not happen for you. Sorry

Iowa was the most underperforming team in the Big 10 last year. They should have taken the Big 10 west with ease. That's why I think they'll be one of our toughest games this year, and unfortunately we'll probably lose again.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Of course you will Iowa. You’d be happy with 6 wins or more any season. A championship will not happen for you. Sorry
6? No. 9? Yes. I’m not content with 9 wins last year however. I’m comfortable with where Iowa stands in the grand scheme of college football. My opinion doesn’t matter because Kirk isn’t going anywhere so why fight it with high expectations?

Did you look at the court findings that I posted? You know, when the facts come out? I rest my case.

https://globegazette.com/news/iowa/...cle_48a9bdfa-2337-11e0-a4d2-001cc4c002e0.html
As I stated before, in an effort to cut off the typical Iowa fan excuses, the victims mom believes KF was involved with trying to convince the girl not to go to the police and I believe the victims mom.

BTW in terms of football, Iowa is to Nebraska what ISU is to Iowa. The numbers support my opinion. Have a great weekend. RollingLaugh

As I stated before, in an effort to cut off the typical Iowa fan excuses, the victims mom believes KF was involved with trying to convince the girl not to go to the police and I believe the victims mom.

BTW in terms of football, Iowa is to Nebraska what ISU is to Iowa. The numbers support my opinion. Have a great weekend. RollingLaugh
I take it you’ll believe the victims parents in Mo Washington’s case over what the actual court finds? Is that what you’re saying?

Cornicator takes the cake for managing to troll two fanbases simultaneously. Seriously, we've had this debate previously, no? Clearly this is headed for 10+ pages of razor sharp analysis.
This might be a new one. I’ve made the same proclamation on our boards. Kirk is a great developer and has a great eye for talent. But his game day coaching leaves a lot to be desired. Finding game changers at WR has been his biggest downfall IMO. Also, not being 2nd place in the battle for stud RB recruits.

I wonder how many coaches over the years vs Nebraska have won 3 straight games in Memorial Stadium? KF will be looking for 4 straight this year.

Reactions: SnohomishRed
NU still lost.

And????? Frost was still in year one...still had true freshman QB....still took a staff that’s been in place for years and years now to barely squeak out a last second FG win....was still in IOWA...and it STILL took a last second field goal to beat this 4-8 Husker team full of youth....only a dumby can’t see the issue there...Iowa should have smoked us. Shows how good of a Head Coach Scott Frost really is. EDITED....Actually shows how good Frost and Adrain Martinez is. Martinez absolutely torched Iowa. I can only imagine how year two will go with experienced players on the field...

Lol...this is just me doing what the Iowa fans do on this board (outside SWIowahawks).Taking crap just to talk crap...regardless if it makes sense or if there’s facts proving other wise. But the OP is right...actually dead on. Iowa should have OWNED the West last season. Having that defense and the talent they had on offense...no reason for NW to win and Iowa to lose the games they did...none. Which shows what type of Head Coach Iowa has...worried more about improving his defenses numbers instead of letting his offense go.... And I stand by my prediction...HUSKERS WILL NOT LOSE THIS YEAR AGAINST IOWA...PERIOD!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIowahawks
Can confirm.

Wmu1KnF.gif

If some Iowa fan posts the gif of the dancing Husker fan I'm going to kick you square in the nuts. :p

I wonder how many coaches over the years vs Nebraska have won 3 straight games in Memorial Stadium? KF will be looking for 4 straight this year.

Bring it...The Husker nation is ready...You’re not going to like the outcome this year... Riley is no longer on the sideline..

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
And????? Frost was still in year one...still had true freshman QB....still took a staff that’s been in place for years and years now to barely squeak out a last second FG win....was still in IOWA...and it STILL took a last second field goal to beat this 4-8 Husker team full of youth....only a dumby can’t see the issue there...Iowa should have smoked us. Shows how good of a Head Coach Scott Frost really is. EDITED....Actually shows how good Frost and Adrain Martinez is. Martinez absolutely torched Iowa. I can only imagine how year two will go with experienced players on the field...

Lol...this is just me doing what the Iowa fans do on this board (outside SWIowahawks).Taking crap just to talk crap...regardless if it makes sense or if there’s facts proving other wise. But the OP is right...actually dead on. Iowa should have OWNED the West last season. Having that defense and the talent they had on offense...no reason for NW to win and Iowa to lose the games they did...none. Which shows what type of Head Coach Iowa has...worried more about improving his defenses numbers instead of letting his offense go.... And I stand by my prediction...HUSKERS WILL NOT LOSE THIS YEAR AGAINST IOWA...PERIOD!!!
NW is the only one I totally blame on the coaches. Fant only played in 13 (I believe snaps) that game. Either Kirk and Brian completely flubbed up or there was some sort of quiet punishment being handed out.

Excuses I know but context matters sometimes and what else do we have to talk about right now? Iowa caught Wisconsin early while they were still rolling. Caught NW later when they started rolling. Caught Penn State at the right time, thumb injury at the wrong time. Purdue is the one game where the defense completely flubbed. Injuries without much depth will do that. Definitely under achieved no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:
NW is the only one I totally blame on the coaches. Fant only played in 13 (I believe snaps) that game. Either Kirk and Brian completely flubbed up or there was some sort of quiet punishment being handed out.

Excuses I know but context matters sometimes and what else do we have to talk about right now? Iowa caught Wisconsin early while they were still rolling. Caught NW later when they started rolling. Caught Penn State at the right time, thumb injury at the wrong time. Purdue is the one game where the defense completely flubbed. Injuries without much depth will do that. Definitely under achieved no matter how you look at it.
blah blzh

Ok. I give up. After reading this thread....The Huskers are now officially the most dangerous back to back 4 win team ever in the storied history of College Football.

Ha ha Go ahead and take shots at Ferentz and Iowa fans. I am content knowing you finished tied in the win column with Illinois and a game behind Indiana who had a peak 5 win season.

Nate Stanley isn't that good in my book. Maybe your OC doesn't use him to show his strengths. Out out of all the QBs we face this year, he's down on my list that scare me.
Nate has 48 TDs and 15 int the last two seasons he just needs to be more consistent in crunch time. You probably do feel he isn't that good because vs Nebraska we are usually running the ball at will and don't ask him to do much.

Nate has 48 TDs and 15 int the last two seasons he just needs to be more consistent in crunch time. You probably do feel he isn't that good because vs Nebraska we are usually running the ball at will and don't ask him to do much.
Dammit. Solid burn.

Reactions: JPR95
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT