ADVERTISEMENT

In 2018, Kirk Ferentz was the Worst Coach in the Power 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily so. Last year you guys had a very talented team and top tier defense...and we all seen how the results faired. Kirk Ferentz just isn’t an elite Head Coach. I know you Iowa fans will get butt hurt about this comment but I’m actually being fair here. Give Iowa Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney or even Scott Frost with Iowa’s talent and team last year and Iowa would have killed it last year. For one, Epenesa wouldn’t have been a back up with any other Head Coach in the country...sorry I’m still absolutely dumbfounded that Kirk Ferentz had him backing up Nelson or Hesse. Epenesa was the best Dlineman on the team. Just stupid.

And I agree with the Husker poster above this one. Ferentz always loses to one or few teams Iowa has no business losing to. But at the same time seems to win one or two games they shouldn’t. Ferentz is so inconsistent...I guess that’s why he’s coaching Iowa and no big name team.

Last years late swoon came when Nate Stanley hurt his hand early vs PSU. We were handling them pretty easy, then he hurt his hand and couldn't throw the ball into a lake the remainder of the season. I don't like to make excuses or blame 1 player, but in this case it's true. Stanley probably should have been benched, but he was left in due to experience, and he absolutely killed us in the 2nd half of the season

Yeah, sure. Three of our losses last year were because of injury too; including to you. We can all play the injury game.

Yeah, sure. Three of our losses last year were because of injury too; including to you. We can all play the injury game.

In most cases losing a player is rough, but you can overcome it. Quarterback is different, losing them is a game changer. We were somewhere in between there still having our QB, but he was a shell of himself and every team we played put 8 or 9 in the box against us. It is what it is. I think our back up QB would have done at least as well, maybe better but we'll never know.

Laughable. Ferentz loses too many games he should win to think he would ever be an elite coach. No matter the circumstances he would always revert to the mean.

You mean like Urban Meyer? Who pretty much always had the clearly better players, yet loses to a team like Purdue, or gets blown out at Iowa, or loses to MSU without their QB? Urban Meyer has won national championships, and yet he still loses head scratcher games against teams he shouldn't almost every year.

You guys don't like Iowa, and you don't like Ferentz ... fair enough. But he isn't so much different than any other coach. He'll win most games he should, lose some confusing ones, and win some upsets. With the talent we recruit at Iowa, compared to the top 2-3 teams in each conference he does better than you give him credit for.

You mean like Urban Meyer? Who pretty much always had the clearly better players, yet loses to a team like Purdue, or gets blown out at Iowa, or loses to MSU without their QB? Urban Meyer has won national championships, and yet he still loses head scratcher games against teams he shouldn't almost every year.

You guys don't like Iowa, and you don't like Ferentz ... fair enough. But he isn't so much different than any other coach. He'll win most games he should, lose some confusing ones, and win some upsets. With the talent we recruit at Iowa, compared to the top 2-3 teams in each conference he does better than you give him credit for.

I give him the credit he is due. He is middle of the road coach who produces tough, well developed, solid players/teams. His 20 years of work has shown who he is, a coach who's teams flirt with losing records much more than they do being above average or even great. I also don't dislike him, no reason to. So he beat us a few times, it's not like losing to you guys ruined our seasons, they were ruined long before that.

You guys are on a nice run against us congrats. You guys seem to confuse that with your program jumping up an echelon. You haven't, our losses are because of what has been happening internally.

P.S. bringing up Meyer to defend Ferentz is exactly the point. Meyer is considered a genius by most everyone (even here). Ferentz??? Not so much. They aren't in the same league. Ferentz is Pelini level, even though Pelini's record states he owned Ferentz by IA logic.

In most cases losing a player is rough, but you can overcome it. Quarterback is different, losing them is a game changer. We were somewhere in between there still having our QB, but he was a shell of himself and every team we played put 8 or 9 in the box against us. It is what it is. I think our back up QB would have done at least as well, maybe better but we'll never know.

Yeah, a good coach probably would have made adjustments but alas you guys have Kirk and Brian.

ISU isn’t that stupid. They have personally watched and seen Kirk the lame duck Ferentz win SQUAT with Iowa. Campbell is 5 times the Head Coach then Kirk is. Iowa is the only place for Ferentz...there is a reason no other team has EVER tried to hire Kirk. Two first round TEs, a solid WR, a QB projected well off in the future draft, a solid oline and RBs and they still barely break above 100th ranked offense. Pathetic!!!
Matt Campbell is 0-3 vs Kirk Ferentz

Reactions: SWIowahawks
This is year four for Cambell
His guys are finally filling up the roster, as they get better and better, like purdue,like nw, like minny.
Standing still going to take a huge beating.
I just dont see a KF team getting much better anymore, while all the other teams are.
Retirement may come earlier than many think.

Reactions: RedMyMind
This is year four for Cambell
His guys are finally filling up the roster, as they get better and better, like purdue,like nw, like minny.
Standing still going to take a huge beating.
I just dont see a KF team getting much better anymore, while all the other teams are.
Retirement may come earlier than many think.
100% agree. Iowa fans have very real reasons to be concerned.

I don’t think that’s a fair statement. Kirk doesn’t fit the “mediocre” because he hasn’t been “not good”. He has been good, not great.

Nebraska got kind of lucky that Frost went to Lincoln. Nebraska got an unproven NFL coach, a defensive coordinator, and a failed NFL, below average coach when they tried “to shoot for the moon”. If Frost didn’t go to Nebraska, he doesn’t accept the job.

I’ve stated before that I would still trade 2015 for having a new coach after the 2014 season so I’m no Kirk homer, but he is above mediocre by definition.

Got lucky? I'm thinking SF didn't go to NU because Touchdown Tommie freaking Frazier was our QB. And in any case the dude is from Wood River, NE. My GPA and his GPA would trade seed corn, there are deep deep roots in Nebraska. Lucky nothing, it was more lucky Stanford got him for a spell in the first place.

We did get an unproven HC, but he was an o line kind of guy with all kinds of super bowl-NFL sales pitches to bring to the table. And his offenses were pretty darn good plus his recruiting classes still are the best Nebraska has had since Osborne.

I think you give Pelini too much credit,.... did you see the CCG with Wisky??? But he was a good get at the time Nebraska hired him. He was the DC of LSU in 2007 for that NC team...

This brings us to Mike .500 Riley. Well not much to say,...watch Nebraska vs. Minnesota, and nothing against Minnesota, 2017. Should be obvious if you Google Mike Riley and look at his record.

Any one of those hires were not Saban, or Osborne, or Bowden. They were however hired after the previous coach had failed to put a product on the field resulting in a championship of any kind and a palpable upward trajectory. That is not playing nickle slots, that's pursuing what matters. The top.

As for KF not being mediocre....well...while not exactly .500, Iowa is not in any danger of running out of trophy space... That's mediocre in my opinion as a program...and that program is wearing kirk's mug.

I can't wait for Nebraska to get out of this funk and back to where it has been time after time after time. Since it's 100 plus year history. Nebraska isn't a scrub program.

Save this, mark it down. Neb will win by at least 14. I will happily eat crow if Im wrong. 4 years of frustration are going to come raining down. There will be no mercy, there will be no "save face", the gloves will be off. It could get ugly. Mentally prepare right now. That way you can have your excuses ready to go ahead of time.

Saved and marked. Of course Nebraska had a great run in the 90's. But Iowa fans are not going to worship Nebraska's glory years based on your performance since joining the B1G. Huskers jumped out to a 3-1 head to head record. Pelini, anger management issues and all, coached decent teams. At the same time, 2011-2014 were clearly down years for Iowa. The fact that Iowa won one and kept the other games close is a sign that Iowa will play Nebraska tough most years.

Now, most Hawkeye fans appreciate that Nebraska was down due to Riley --- but Riley was a self-inflicted wound, the head scratchers of all head scratchers from your AD. I mean seriously, how did that decision get approved??? And while Nebraska has been down, Iowa has recovered from 2011-2014 and gotten back to its norm (8/9/10 win seasons) and has taken care of business against Nebraska.

Now maybe Frost is in fact the savior. I have no doubt you'll be better because Riley is the definition of a clueless, sub par coach. That said, there's a lot of chest thumping and bragadacio on this thread riding on the abilities of Frost, who has yet to do anything at the P5 level.

Saved and marked. Of course Nebraska had a great run in the 90's. But Iowa fans are not going to worship Nebraska's glory years based on your performance since joining the B1G. Huskers jumped out to a 3-1 head to head record. Pelini, anger management issues and all, coached decent teams. At the same time, 2011-2014 were clearly down years for Iowa. The fact that Iowa won one and kept the other games close is a sign that Iowa will play Nebraska tough most years.

Now, most Hawkeye fans appreciate that Nebraska was down due to Riley --- but Riley was a self-inflicted wound, the head scratchers of all head scratchers from your AD. I mean seriously, how did that decision get approved??? And while Nebraska has been down, Iowa has recovered from 2011-2014 and gotten back to its norm (8/9/10 win seasons) and has taken care of business against Nebraska.

Now maybe Frost is in fact the savior. I have no doubt you'll be better because Riley is the definition of a clueless, sub par coach. That said, there's a lot of chest thumping and bragadacio on this thread riding on the abilities of Frost, who has yet to do anything at the P5 level.

How about back to a more realistic norm of 6/7/8 wins? Then you're being honest with yourself.

Reactions: husker2612
How about back to a more realistic norm of 6/7/8 wins? Then you're being honest with yourself.

I'm including bowl games. Not counting KF's first two years, he's had 3 seasons with 6 or fewer wins, and 3 seasons with more than 10. Last 4 years:

2018 (9-4)
2017 (8-5)
2016 (8-5)
2015 (12-2)

I'm including bowl games. Not counting KF's first year, he's had 3 seasons with 6 or fewer wins, and 3 seasons with more than 10. Last 4 years:

2018 (9-4)
2017 (8-5)
2016 (8-5)
2015 (12-2)
Iowa had pretty easy schedules those years. Next year is similar to what Nebraska had last year. Iowa goes 5-7

1 less 7 win seasons than ten win seasons. 1 less losing seasons than 8 win seasons. Just as many 6 win seasons as 9 win seasons. The 9 and ten win seasons are anomolies. Included in there is 3 ten win seasons in which the Big ten was horrid and you guys played like 8 teams with above .500 records over three seasons.

Iowa had pretty easy schedules those years. Next year is similar to what Nebraska had last year. Iowa goes 5-7

True on the first part, Iowa had relatively weak schedules. Should have had at least a win or two in each of those years. I'd be surprised if Iowa went 5-7 this year. Stout defense (LBs being the main ?), experienced O despite loss of Fant/Hock.

Your right....the Hawks have no chance of winning in Lincoln in year 2 of Frost. I figure you have the edge with your TE turned starting center.
Without scrolling down, I’ll just state what likely has already been said: *You’re...

Even better that you included the word “writer” in your moniker.

In all honesty, I don’t know that we should be knocking a team that has pretty much managed to own us at every meeting. I assure you, it pains me to say that. I have faith in Frost to put the performances on the field we’re expecting, however.

He won the Peach bowl as the head coach on a Division 1 team. He beat Auburn, who last I checked, was a P5 school, the one that beat the NC that year as well.

That's a better win than Florida's complete destruction of Iowa to the tune of 30 to an abysmal 3 in 2017. Wasn't the Gators ole boy fired that year too?

Got lucky? I'm thinking SF didn't go to NU because Touchdown Tommie freaking Frazier was our QB. And in any case the dude is from Wood River, NE. My GPA and his GPA would trade seed corn, there are deep deep roots in Nebraska. Lucky nothing, it was more lucky Stanford got him for a spell in the first place.

We did get an unproven HC, but he was an o line kind of guy with all kinds of super bowl-NFL sales pitches to bring to the table. And his offenses were pretty darn good plus his recruiting classes still are the best Nebraska has had since Osborne.

I think you give Pelini too much credit,.... did you see the CCG with Wisky??? But he was a good get at the time Nebraska hired him. He was the DC of LSU in 2007 for that NC team...

This brings us to Mike .500 Riley. Well not much to say,...watch Nebraska vs. Minnesota, and nothing against Minnesota, 2017. Should be obvious if you Google Mike Riley and look at his record.

Any one of those hires were not Saban, or Osborne, or Bowden. They were however hired after the previous coach had failed to put a product on the field resulting in a championship of any kind and a palpable upward trajectory. That is not playing nickle slots, that's pursuing what matters. The top.

As for KF not being mediocre....well...while not exactly .500, Iowa is not in any danger of running out of trophy space... That's mediocre in my opinion as a program...and that program is wearing kirk's mug.

I can't wait for Nebraska to get out of this funk and back to where it has been time after time after time. Since it's 100 plus year history. Nebraska isn't a scrub program.

Nebraska is no more than a 4 to 7 win team this year. You count on getting better but forget that everyone is else getting better also. Try to make to a bowl this year that would be huge.

Nebraska is no more than a 4 to 7 win team this year. You count on getting better but forget that everyone is else getting better also. Try to make to a bowl this year that would be huge.
We got an Iowa like schedule this year. Should be easy to get to 8-9 wins.

And you count on Riley as the standard of Nebraska football.

9 months in the system compared to 1 year and 9 months,.. so maybe others are getting better, but the amount of gain in efficiency for a team in year two as compared to an established team is huge. This is probably why you see a ton of teams out there have extremely successful seasons at year two of a new HC and staff.

Unfortunately for Iowa year two was a long long long time ago under their staff and that was a 3 win season....not even as good as Nebraska's first under Frost.

Beating a higher rated sec team than iowa is also a qualifier,just like P5.
Lil ol non P5 ucf has six nfl draftees since Frost was coach there, or since the 2017 draft.
Going undefeated at any level is special, and few teams ever reach that level at any level, we here know how that goes, does iowa?
I question your very approach, your qualifiers, as to how you rate Scott Frost.
He said, better get us this year, early in the season, that statement didnt look good, half way through, not one team found an easy win, not even the Big champs at their house.
It all starts this year.

Great effort in this thread all around, guys. You really hate Iowa here.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Hawk Writer
It’s cute that Iowa fan thinks we “hate Iowa here”, although some probably do dislike everything iowa, I would wager most on here respect Iowa (it’s very similar to Nebraska) and Iowa football for what it is. The problem is iowa fans. A fan base whose majority routinely belittle and denigrate the Iowa state program and fans, using series lead, number of conference championships and bowl game success etc...and rightfully so and then cry and whine when the tables are turned and they are on the receiving end. They cannot stand that we think of them the same way they think of ISU fan. Apples to apples comparison.

Ferentz is a great talent evaluator and developer of talent. He’s a sub par game day coach.

In all honesty, I don’t know that we should be knocking a team that has pretty much managed to own us at every meeting. I assure you, it pains me to say that. I have faith in Frost to put the performances on the field we’re expecting, however.
Owned every meeting? 29-17 Nebraska leads. Largest vicotory 57-0 Nebraska owns it. Nebraska has had win streaks of 3, 3, 5, 8 and 5 years. The last 10 meetings the record is even at 5-5. Prior to Mike Riley Neb had went 3-1 since joining the BIG. Now if you want to say they have owned us 3 times since joining the BIG10, Yes I would agree. Long term we own them and it isn't even close.

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
They owned Mike Riley. Blo Pelini went 3-1. You think a FG as time expired last year was a mangling? Lol

It’s cute that Iowa fan thinks we “hate Iowa here”, although some probably do dislike everything iowa, I would wager most on here respect Iowa (it’s very similar to Nebraska) and Iowa football for what it is. The problem is iowa fans. A fan base whose majority routinely belittle and denigrate the Iowa state program and fans, using series lead, number of conference championships and bowl game success etc...and rightfully so and then cry and whine when the tables are turned and they are on the receiving end. They cannot stand that we think of them the same way they think of ISU fan. Apples to apples comparison.

I would not throw all Iowa fans in this class. This year could be very interesting in the west division. I do not see a team challenging, as of right now, the East. But I do believe the west has better teams than in the past. There are more talented teams and this is why they play the game. You have a lot of very good skilled position players, and I would guess that you are hoping for the trenches to be stronger this year. Anyway, good luck this season and by the time we play we will know how good each of our teams are.

I would not throw all Iowa fans in this class. This year could be very interesting in the west division. I do not see a team challenging, as of right now, the East. But I do believe the west has better teams than in the past. There are more talented teams and this is why they play the game. You have a lot of very good skilled position players, and I would guess that you are hoping for the trenches to be stronger this year. Anyway, good luck this season and by the time we play we will know how good each of our teams are.
I’m very careful in choosing my words and try not to use words like “all”, “never” and so on....in my experience the vast majority of Iowa fans are very condescending toward ISU fans for the exact same reasons a lot of husker fans are condescending to Iowa fans. The only thing that’ll change the power dynamic is for Iowa to catch up in the series and total wins departments, luckily that will not happen in my lifetime.

2017- @ISU, PSU, @MSU, @Wisconsin, OSU, @NW. 5 ten plus winning teams. 4 other teams with winning records. 8 bowl winning teams. “Pretty easy”? ;)

Heck, Iowa had the easier schedule in 2015 and 2018 in that time frame. Nebraska has the easier schedule in 16, 17, and 19. Easier meaning easier crossovers. The whole notion that Nebraska gets screwed is so overblown and predicated on one team, OSU.

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
2017- @ISU, PSU, @MSU, @Wisconsin, OSU, @NW. 5 ten plus winning teams. 4 other teams with winning records. 8 bowl winning teams. “Pretty easy”? ;)

Heck, Iowa had the easier schedule in 2015 and 2018 in that time frame. Nebraska has the easier schedule in 16, 17, and 19. Easier meaning easier crossovers. The whole notion that Nebraska gets screwed is so overblown and predicated on one team, OSU.

Well the last time Iowa played Michigan, Ohio St and Penn St all in the same year was a year before Nebraska joined the B1G and Nebraska has played them all 3 twice and in 2024 they are all 3 on the schedule again, and the B1G has never given Iowa all 3 of these teams in the same year..

For one, Epenesa wouldn’t have been a back up with any other Head Coach in the country...sorry I’m still absolutely dumbfounded that Kirk Ferentz had him backing up Nelson or Hesse. Epenesa was the best Dlineman on the team. Just stupid.

It must be fun to spout off with zero clue what you're talking about. Why else would you do it so much? From AJE's dad, who played dline himself:

And of course Husker Nation remembers Parker Hesse.

Reactions: Hawk Writer
swiowahawks, Also check out how many times Iowa has played Indiana- Maryland- Rutgers at least 2 of those 3 teams from 2011- 2025 compared to Nebraska..

It’s night and day difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT