ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate eligibility for transfers

how about schools that have a transfer show up pay the school that got left behind a hefty transfer fee or said player sits out the year.

if a coach leaves or is fired, that restriction is null and void.

?

If that goes into effect, the NCAA should really do some work to keep the transfers above the board and transparent.

Set up an auction house online where schools could simply bid on each player on different teams.

Set up a trust for the player, teams bid on who they want on their roster next season, player gets to make the decision on where they want to go with the committed $$$$ amount being one of the factors to consider.

"Transfer recruiting / bidding" season ends before the early signing period for incoming freshman so teams know what roster spots they weren't able to fill from players on other teams.

Last edited:
I can’t believe the NCAA has been able to put restrictions on transfers at all. It really feels like they’ve overstepped their legal powers.

I don’t care if a kid gets a new coach or gets homesick or simply doesn’t think he can beat out another player at a position. Let him go play elsewhere if he wants.

Frankly, limiting a kid in a short 4 year period to showcase his abilities seems like a ridiculous case of administration overstepping their bounds and unfairly punishing a kid for wanting to change.

The mid major basketball coaches are really against this, they are afraid it could turn them into basically minor league teams for the big dogs.

Reactions: Crushinator
Who do you think Nebraska will become a feeder school for? Who will become our feeder school?

Who do you think Nebraska will become a feeder school for? Who will become our feeder school?
Football? We won't be a feeder school for anyone, but I could see use taking back the local guys who blow up at Ohio, Wyoming, ect.

Players should be allowed one transfer in their career and be able to start immediately. Obviously mid-season transfers would not be allowed.

I would then also implement a rule saying once a player transfers...that's it. Eligibility must be exhausted at that school.

For sure this rule would favor teams with the better TV contracts - players that can transfer will if they see more exposure increasing their chance of playing in the NFL. I think it would actually level the playing field for the Power 5...although you can assume a few schools will get really good at finding transfers (Saban and Meyer won't let a chance to steal good players slip through their hands - and have the ability to spend "whatever it takes"). They could have a scouting department working on non-Power 5 players to do some cherry picking - not all Power 5 schools would be able to match what schools with huge budgets can do.

Reactions: headcard
This will make the rich richer and the poor poorer. Right now scholarship limits are supposed to level the playing. Over signing still creates some problems as the B1G can't do it with their 4 year guarantee's. What few holes Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, and Clemson have in their rosters they will just pilfer the lower teams for. The lower class teams will not be losing their best players to the draft after their Junior year.......they will be losing them to the top teams after their Freshman and Sophomore years. Alabama will NEVER have a weakness.

on the agenda for discussion by the NCAA and reports are there is a good chance of passing ... I believe it would allow for a one time transfer

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bt...-changing-transfer-rules-immediately-eligible

From the Article:
First, when a school hired away another school’s coach, that coach might be allowed to bring along players with him. Really like Joe Basketball at State U? Try to hire his coach, and he could be playing for your school next season. And Joe Basketball’s coach is likely to ask for a higher salary since he can bring Joe Basketball with him. With all of the uncomfortable discussion about how everyone is getting rich of student-athletes except the student-athletes, this would make coaches look even more like they were pimping their players. That’s a bad look.

Second, this is going to really hurt small schools. If a player has a good year in the MAC, why not transfer to an MVC school the next year? Have a good year there, transfer again to the Big East. The biggest programs will be able to suck up the best talent from elsewhere. Hate how Kentucky relies on one-and-done freshmen? You’ll really hate it when they rely on the best senior transfers that have skill and experience.

This is a horrible idea. I hate the way America keeps inventing new safety nets for people who make bad decisions. If every important decision could have a "do over", or a financial bailout from some gov't entity how and when will people ever learn how to be an adult and live with consequences. Hate this.

The only way it would be plausible say player jones transfers from Kansas to Ohio state, then Ohio state would have to compensate Kansas. All these schools are spending boats loads of money recruiting these kids then figure a average of 10 grand more or less a year for scholarship. So maybe it would cost Ohio state 20 grand for this player. If the NCAA passes this it will kill college athletes.

Would not really like this but maybe if their coach they committed leaves then they can also immediately leave as well.

I agree with the KISS method, I also think that it could be a dangerous game here if they just open the flood gates, there needs to be some kind of stipulations to this. I think that if the player has been a starter for at least a year or played x amount of minutes at school then if they want to transfer fine but you will have to sit out a year. only exceptions would be if head coach is fired or went some place else if you want to follow ok, unless there will be some kind of mass exodus from that school. could you have imagined how bare Nebraska would have been had players been eligible to transfer after Bo was fired? those kids followed him like it was a cult. I guess my bottom line is I kind of cringe at the thought of a free for all, there should only be valid reasons to transfer without penalty, buried in the depth chart, coaching changes, family issues should get a free pass, however Im a starter at Idaho with potential but now Michigan is asking me to come play for them because their QB went pro early and they failed to plan for that isn't a good reason, and that's how this would pan out if there are no restrictions

Reactions: Crushinator
This a bad bad idea. This will definitely decrease parody unless they do it right.

Allow kids who are at a program that has a HEAD coaching change to transfer without penalty. Otherwise if they want to transfer and play immediately, they would have to "walk on" for a year.

Without restrictions, could the original school pull a UCF and not release them from their scholarship agreement?

Reactions: gw2kpro
Put a limit on the number of "immediate transfers" each team gets. So maybe 3-4 for football, and 1 for basketball. Any transfers above that limit have to sit out a year.

If you want to even the playing field a bit, give the non-P5 schools a higher limit. So maybe the smaller schools are allowed 7-8 immediate transfers for football and 2-3 for basketball.

could you have imagined how bare Nebraska would have been had players been eligible to transfer after Bo was fired? those kids followed him like it was a cult.
I think most of them were smart enough to know that transferring to YSU probably wasnt in their best interest. Plus, they would have had to have enough scholarships available.

KISS Method here...

1) Undergrad players can only transfer once when a HC is fired or voluntarily leaves for another job.

2) Players can NOT follow that coach to his/her new job.

Next problem.

1. Add NCAA Sanctions to your list - immediately eligible to transfer.
2. The 2 rules proposed should only apply to immediate eligibility. The sit out one year rule still applies for all other situations
3. Moving down to lower level - no waiting period (same as today)
4. 5th year grad students have an exception - that needs to stay as well.

This is still too tilted in the favor of the school the player is at. Alabama moves guys off the roster via transfer all the time. They get the roster spot immediately for recruiting - the player has to sit a year before they can play. That is not right IMHO.

The only way it would be plausible say player jones transfers from Kansas to Ohio state, then Ohio state would have to compensate Kansas. All these schools are spending boats loads of money recruiting these kids then figure a average of 10 grand more or less a year for scholarship. So maybe it would cost Ohio state 20 grand for this player. If the NCAA passes this it will kill college athletes.

seems like it would narrow the differences in management between what the nfl and what colleges are, now. It will be like free agent marketing EVERY year.

Last edited:
Stupid idea. It's going to turn into college basketball where a quarter of your team transfers out every year. They should get rid of blocking transfers to certain schools. That's an idea I could get behind. But not this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT