ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine?

The games would not be nail bitters. He just throws some balls up for grabs that should be thrown away. He has Tony Romo syndrome with the falling away and throwing passes.

He had his WTF throw that we all saw and it cost us dearly, but he also had a great (although at the time I was yelling NO,NOT AGAIN!!) throw later on that went for a TD. I think you have to be a Husker fan to appreciate him, he's like that baby with a face only a mother can love, but she does love him. He's winning me over and I have no doubt if Ryker were our QB this year we would not be 6-0.

He had his WTF throw that we all saw and it cost us dearly, but he also had a great (although at the time I was yelling NO,NOT AGAIN!!) throw later on that went for a TD. I think you have to be a Husker fan to appreciate him, he's like that baby with a face only a mother can love, but she does love him. He's winning me over and I have no doubt if Ryker were our QB this year we would not be 6-0.

I also saw him throw it away at times. He's improved over last year for sure. Trust me, I yelled at him for a few of those bone-headed throws off his heels. He was running for his life all game. Gimpy and all.

armstrong can turn the ball over 50 times a game, as long as we win.
the problem is the former doesn't lend itself to the ladder. He's trying though, thats for sure. but if your the UNL #1 qb your going to be in a fish bowl, thats just the facts of life.

the main thing is get healthy and beat purdue.

Reactions: scarletred
I thot that throw led to Indiana running 3 straight times for 2 yards and then they punted... I remember thinking we got away with one...

Maybe I'm misremembering?
They intercepted at the NU 28 with 1:52 left in the half, ran 3 plays for no yards and kicked the FG to trail 8-17.

They intercepted at the NU 28 with 1:52 left in the half, ran 3 plays for no yards and kicked the FG to trail 8-17.
That one... ok. Yes, it did cost us a field goal. I didn't think that one was the wtf throw. That one at least hit cotton in the hands even tho it was high.

To me the wtf throw was the down the field chuck to Indiana DB.

That one... ok. Yes, it did cost us a field goal. I didn't think that one was the wtf throw. That one at least hit cotton in the hands even tho it was high.

To me the wtf throw was the down the field chuck to Indiana DB.
Yes, my bad, the wtf interception in the 4th resulted in them running 3 plays for 5 yards and punting. That may have also been when TA and Gates (reportedly) had the heated exchange on the sideline. Somebody, maybe HCMR must have calmed TA down because he seemed to be the "good Tommy" after that. Of course us TV viewers will never know since ABC had a split screen on the IU HC and DC between every play.

Tommy showed a lot of guts yesterday! Had some bad throws yes, but he was running for his life all game long on a bum ankle. I was pissed at the OL play, then I found out Gates was hobbled too. Good grief, just think how good this offense can be if we could somehow get healthy!

I have been a TA basher over the past couple years, but I do see improvement. When you take into consideration the OL yesterday, lack of receivers and sore ankle, I think he played a good game. When he starts to push too hard and takes the game solely on his shoulders is when he has WTF MOMENTS. DL saw that yesterday and gave him a couple of designed runs which settled him down. It kills me to say this, but without TA, NU is at best a below average team on offense. NU will only go as far as TA takes them.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
TA had done a great job of playing within the system all year before Saturday. I can't be too hard on him when he is running for his life on a bum ankle every passing play. We have to get our OL healthy or find some guys who can get the job done while our 1st team heals.

Any other QB on our roster would have been sacked about ten times. The OL play was beyond awful in the middle 2 qtrs.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
There are two different Nebraska football teams right now:

There is the team that hasn't yet scratched its ceiling yet with the full compliment of all its offensive starters on the field at the same time for more than one half in a Big Ten Game. .

And..

There is the current version trying to persevere through a ton of injuries.

If Nebraska can ever get healthy a long the oline again and then get Moore healthy and see the return of Westerkamp and Carter again, this team will finally be able to illustrate the extent of its potential.

I've stated it repeatedly, there are very few teams in college football that can defend Moore and Reilly on the perimeter, Westerkamp out of the Slot, and then Carter in the Tight End or H-Back role.

That's only happened in one full game, and part of another.. See Wyoming and Northwestern

Armstrong was a combined 38 of 59 for 560 yards and 4 TDs... to 1 pick.

If the offensive tackles can remain healthy, you can get by to some extent. But if not, then opponents are going to pressure the hell out of Tommy and without Carter or Westerkamp to provide added experience extending routes, Nebraska will struggle at times.

Lots of teams encounter injuries. The elite teams can absorb them better. Pelini recruiting did reap some good players and some NFL talent. But the recruiting was so disorganized and incomplete, that this current roster isn't ready to sustain top flight injuries.

Hell, Nebraska was basically down 3 NFL players on Saturday in Moore (did play about 4 snaps), Westerkamp, and Carter. Then you have to add that Farmer, Gates, and Knevel are their 3 most highly recruited and talented upper classmen linemen.

If Healthy, this team can be very difficult to defend. If injured, you need to see some major heart.

We are lucky to have TA under center. He was bumrushed all damn game and found a way to put up enough points to get a W. That dude is a relentless competitor. Sign me up for more of those guys.
Disagree with the part about TA putting up enough points to get a W. Without that defensive pick for a td, we don't win that game. Then there is the safety we gave up, and TA's int that led to 3 points for them that Husker.Wed. mentions above. The defense won that game.

There are two different Nebraska football teams right now:

There is the team that hasn't yet scratched its ceiling yet with the full compliment of all its offensive starters on the field at the same time for more than one half in a Big Ten Game. .

And..

There is the current version trying to persevere through a ton of injuries.

If Nebraska can ever get healthy a long the oline again and then get Moore healthy and see the return of Westerkamp and Carter again, this team will finally be able to illustrate the extent of its potential.

I've stated it repeatedly, there are very few teams in college football that can defend Moore and Reilly on the perimeter, Westerkamp out of the Slot, and then Carter in the Tight End or H-Back role.

That's only happened in one full game, and part of another.. See Wyoming and Northwestern

Armstrong was a combined 38 of 59 for 560 yards and 4 TDs... to 1 pick.

If the offensive tackles can remain healthy, you can get by to some extent. But if not, then opponents are going to pressure the hell out of Tommy and without Carter or Westerkamp to provide added experience extending routes, Nebraska will struggle at times.

Lots of teams encounter injuries. The elite teams can absorb them better. Pelini recruiting did reap some good players and some NFL talent. But the recruiting was so disorganized and incomplete, that this current roster isn't ready to sustain top flight injuries.

Hell, Nebraska was basically down 3 NFL players on Saturday in Moore (did play about 4 snaps), Westerkamp, and Carter. Then you have to add that Farmer, Gates, and Knevel are their 3 most highly recruited and talented upper classmen linemen.

If Healthy, this team can be very difficult to defend. If injured, you need to see some major heart.
I hate to think where we would be without TA right now with all of our O line injuries. IMO its remarkable how much he is getting done with the pressure he's getting and his own injury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT