ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine that. No BIG officials

I was wondering what the statistic was how many times they’ve held us over the last seven years and it’s never been called just curious if anyone knows
Same observation It was funny to hear their fans because they’ve never had a holding call they don’t have to deal with it

Part of me wants the Vadgers to lose but the other part wants Oregon Ducks to lose so the PAC 12 sees their best team isn’t even as good as our 2nd/4th best BIG 10 team.

That offensive PI was great. Enjoyed the shit out of them and Ohio st not getting all the calls. F em.

The bowl games reminded me of when Kansas plays in the NCAA Tournament and every official suddenly has it in for them (aka, not answering the bell like a trained dog every time Bill Self complains).

Their idea of blocking is to grab the jersey on the outside part of each shoulder.

I have never seen that video before today. That is actually almost unbelievable to see, and you don't do that unless you have a vested interest!
Hopefully one day we well get the ref bias as well.

That would be good.....but us bitching about officials non-stop won't help us get to that point.
Huh? How in the world would fans complaining or not complaining about officiating have any effect on the officiating we get?

I would say, if anything, most people are too lenient on officiating. You always hear the comments about how they're only human and they are going to miss some things. I fully understand that, which is why I don't complain about every single little ticky-tack thing they miss or don't call.

What I don't get is missing blatantly obvious things that have a major effect on the outcome of a play. Just as an example, this isn't meant to start some huge long discussion about the officiating in that game, the play in the Iowa game that the TV guys felt the need to show the replay of 10,000 times. The one where you can clearly see Will Honas only a few yards away from the running back, in position to make a possible play, and an Iowa OL literally wrapping his arms around his waist and pulling him out of the way. There is zero chance in the world that not one of EIGHT FREAKING REFS on the field didn't see that, especially since it happened so close to the guy with the ball. If they didn't see it, that's disturbing in and of itself, because that means someone isn't doing their job properly. If they did see it and decided not to throw a flag, why? I understand letting minor things that happen pretty much every play go, but that very literally could have changed the outcome of that play. Maybe Will Honas wouldn't have made the tackle, but that's not for the refs to determine, you call the penalty.

That's where the "they're only human" argument falls flat for me. In college football, there are 8 refs on the field and there are 22 players; while areas of responsibility and such mean it doesn't quite work out like this, that essentially means each ref has the responsibility to watch between two and three players. If each ref keeps to his job and watches his area of responsibility, there should be very few blatantly obvious things missed. In the area of penalties by the OL specifically, there are two refs; the head ref and what's now called the center judge (which has been added in recent years and upped the crews from 7 to 8) that stand behind the offense on opposite sides of the field and watch for penalties in the area of the OL and QB. There should be no blatantly obvious holds missed, but you still see plenty missed. Whether they are actually missed or willfully missed is a different story.

Last edited:
I would like to see after every game not only the winning coach and players and losing coach and players press conference I would like to see the head official answers questions. I know the official from the Clemson Ohio st gave more of a statement then a actual question and answers.why should these officials be above everyone else. I know some will say you’ll never get anyone to do the job. It should be out in the open instead of back room deals

Rather than complaining, maybe we should figure out their technique so we can use it also.
images

Huh? How in the world would fans complaining or not complaining about officiating have any effect on the officiating we get?

I would say, if anything, most people are too lenient on officiating. You always hear the comments about how they're only human and they are going to miss some things. I fully understand that, which is why I don't complain about every single little ticky-tack thing they miss or don't call.

What I don't get is missing blatantly obvious things that have a major effect on the outcome of a play. Just as an example, this isn't meant to start some huge long discussion about the officiating in that game, the play in the Iowa game that the TV guys felt the need to show the replay of 10,000 times. The one where you can clearly see Will Honas only a few yards away from the running back, in position to make a possible play, and an Iowa OL literally wrapping his arms around his waist and pulling him out of the way. There is zero chance in the world that not one of EIGHT FREAKING REFS on the field didn't see that, especially since it happened so close to the guy with the ball. If they didn't see it, that's disturbing in and of itself, because that means someone isn't doing their job properly. If they did see it and decided not to throw a flag, why? I understand letting minor things that happen pretty much every play go, but that very literally could have changed the outcome of that play. Maybe Will Honas wouldn't have made the tackle, but that's not for the refs to determine, you call the penalty.

That's where the "they're only human" argument falls flat for me. In college football, there are 8 refs on the field and there are 22 players; while areas of responsibility and such mean it doesn't quite work out like this, that essentially means each ref has the responsibility to watch between two and three players. If each ref keeps to his job and watches his area of responsibility, there should be very few blatantly obvious things missed. In the area of penalties by the OL specifically, there are two refs; the head ref and what's now called the center judge (which has been added in recent years and upped the crews from 7 to 8) that stand behind the offense on opposite sides of the field and watch for penalties in the area of the OL and QB. There should be no blatantly obvious holds missed, but you still see plenty missed. Whether they are actually missed or willfully missed is a different story.
I'm going to go with actually missed, since I have no reason to as to why something would be blatantly or willfully missed.

Many in our fan base have complained about officiating in the Big 8, Big 12, and now Big 10. 3 conference affiliations or configurations, spread out over decades. That's why I don't take the conspiracy stuff very seriously.

I would like to see after every game not only the winning coach and players and losing coach and players press conference I would like to see the head official answers questions. I know the official from the Clemson Ohio st gave more of a statement then a actual question and answers.why should these officials be above everyone else. I know some will say you’ll never get anyone to do the job. It should be out in the open instead of back room deals
They won't and they shouldn't have to, for the following:

1) An official isn't going to be able to explain why he called a holding call (or a missed one) on #67 3 minutes into the game at a press conference 3+ hours later.

2) This one is the most important....and this will likely get me attacked again as not being a "true fan"......the referees are not elected officials or heads of publicly funded agencies. Therefore, they should only be held accountable by the conference with whom they are affiliated. Why should a college football official be held accountable to the general public anymore than you with regards to your job?

The school at which I currently work has had a huge problem with fans getting ejected from games for berating officials. I asked our recently retired FB coach (coached here for over 30 years...FB and BB) if he had ever coached a game in which the officials made more mistakes than the players. Right away, without not needing to think, the answer was "no". I feel pretty certain the same thing applies to college and pro football.

Bottom line...we all make the choice to watch or not watch football. The officials, therefore, owe us nothing other than an effort to do the best that they can, for the integrity of the game. We as fans are not owed explanations on any call beyond what is announced on the field when the call is made.

They won't and they shouldn't have to, for the following:

1) An official isn't going to be able to explain why he called a holding call (or missed one) on #67 3 minutes into the game at a press conference 3+ hours later.

2) This one is the most important....and this will likely get me attacked again as not being a "true fan"......the referees are not elected officials or heads of publicly funded agencies. Therefore, they should only be held accountable by the conference with whom they are affiliated. Why should a college football official be held accountable to the general public anymore than you with regards to your job?

The school at which I currently work has had a huge problem with fans getting ejected from games for berating officials. I asked our recently retired FB coach (coached here for over 30 years) if he had ever coached a game in which the officials made more mistakes than the players. Right away, without not needing to think, the answer was "no". I feel pretty certain the same thing applies to college and pro football.

Bottom line...we all make the choice to watch or not watch football. The officials, therefore, owe us nothing other than an effort to do the best that they can. We are not owed explanations on any call beyond what is announced at the game when the call is made.
But they expect a coach to answer the question why did you call a certain play in the 3 quarter on third and short at their own 15 or a player to get up and answer a question about a certain play

But they expect a coach to answer the question why did you call a certain play in the 3 quarter on third and short at their own 15 or a player to get up and answer a question about a certain play
First of all, who is the "they" you are referring to? Who exactly is making the coaches and players do so? We need to have an understanding of who that is.

I'll give you this much, though....a coach and a player have much more of a vested interest in the game and its outcome than an official does (game planning, play script, etc.). Therefore, they are much more likely to remember a specific play than an official.

Last edited:
First of all, who is the "they" you are referring to? Who exactly is making the coaches and players do so? We need to have an understanding of who that is.

I'll give you this much, though....a coach and a player have much more of a vested interest in the game and its outcome than an official does (game planning, play script, etc.). Therefore, they are much more likely to remember a specific play than an official.
They as the media, and I’m referring to the press conference just after the game ends

They as the media, and I’m referring to the press conference just after the game ends
The media doesn't make anyone do anything.

I'd bet good money that the requirement of the coach to answer questions at the presser is made either by the school (contractually, I'm guessing), the conference, or the NCAA. The media doesn't make that call....they just ask the questions, and write the stories.

And, again...I stand by my assertion that the coach and players have a much more vested interest in the game, hence their remembering of what happened on a given play in the game.

Do you honestly think that a referee would answer the question of, "Why didn't you call #67 for Wisconsin for holding at 2:17 into the 1st quarter?" with an answer anything different than something along the lines of, "Because I didn't see it."?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT