ADVERTISEMENT

I'm bored too.... 90-91Huskers basketball

mgbreis

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 16, 2004
https://huskers.com/news/2016/2/6/210692890.aspx

Here's a fun little article from 2016 with Beau Reid's thoughts/memories on the 90-91 team. I was a junior in high school and that team was just a hell of a lot of fun to watch. Saying they were loaded is an understatement. In retrospect their loss in the first round of the tourney has to be the biggest Husker sports fail/choke of all time.

Anyway, reading #'s 6-9 on his list, it's fun to think maybe next season's Huskers might be able to follow the same script? Losing this year, while having wars in practice with guys sitting out. Will be fairly big (no 7'2" guys like King though), but will play with a lot of tempo, should be a lot deeper, hopefully good ball movement and score a lot. We will NOT have the same success in conference, of that I'm nearly certain.

Reactions: artguy68
I vividly remember Danny Nee saying to Husker fans to come see this team play because you will probably never witness a better basketball team at Nebraska. So far Nee has been right. I had NU in the elite eight that year. Yes, they were THAT good. Huskers beat Kansas twice in less then a week's time. The same KU team that went all the way to the national title game before finally getting beat by Duke. Losing in the first round as a 3 seed to Xavier was a huge disappointment. The lost to Penn a few years later was another big time downer. Huskers were Big 8 Tourney champs that year (1994).

https://huskers.com/news/2016/2/6/210692890.aspx

Here's a fun little article from 2016 with Beau Reid's thoughts/memories on the 90-91 team. I was a junior in high school and that team was just a hell of a lot of fun to watch. Saying they were loaded is an understatement. In retrospect their loss in the first round of the tourney has to be the biggest Husker sports fail/choke of all time.

Anyway, reading #'s 6-9 on his list, it's fun to think maybe next season's Huskers might be able to follow the same script? Losing this year, while having wars in practice with guys sitting out. Will be fairly big (no 7'2" guys like King though), but will play with a lot of tempo, should be a lot deeper, hopefully good ball movement and score a lot. We will NOT have the same success in conference, of that I'm nearly certain.
Followed that team to the NCAA Regional in Minneapolis. Got great seats, had a great time, but the team just laid an egg. I think they got caught looking ahead to a possible matchup with Duke in the Sweet 16, and Xavier punched them squarely in the mouth.

That was a tough regional though. #6 seed UConn destroyed Xavier in the second round and would have been a tough out for the Huskers.

Followed that team to the NCAA Regional in Minneapolis. Got great seats, had a great time, but the team just laid an egg. I think they got caught looking ahead to a possible matchup with Duke in the Sweet 16, and Xavier punched them squarely in the mouth.

That was a tough regional though. #6 seed UConn destroyed Xavier in the second round and would have been a tough out for the Huskers.

not to bust your bubble but UConn was the 11th seed, they beat #6 LSU.

still think it’s crap that we got Xavier @ 14th seed. It today’s world a 22-10 Xavier is more like a 5 or 4 seed, granted they now play in a much more difficult conference. But it’s a named basketball program now. That loss in the tournament was the worst loss of my entire life in basketball. I loved that team. I was a little guy but it tore me up just as much as losing at football use to.

Reid is player I’ll never forget. My first Husker basketball game was when he hit a jumper as time expired to beat Danny and the Miracles the year they won it all

This thread depresses the hell out of me, and I wasn’t even alive yet. Someone hold me and tell me everything is going to be ok.

still think it’s crap that we got Xavier @ 14th seed. It today’s world a 22-10 Xavier is more like a 5 or 4 seed, granted they now play in a much more difficult conference. But it’s a named basketball program now. That loss in the tournament was the worst loss of my entire life in basketball. I loved that team. I was a little guy but it tore me up just as much as losing at football use to.

Reid is player I’ll never forget. My first Husker basketball game was when he hit a jumper as time expired to beat Danny and the Miracles the year they won it all
I'm well aware of who UConn played. They clobbered LSU (Shaq was a sophomore on that team) in the first round and Xavier in the second round, which is what I said above.

I agree that Xavier should not have been a #14 seed - they were too good for that. But my point is that even if the Huskers get by Xavier, they had a tough game waiting for them in the second round. We stayed for the UConn-Xavier game and UConn played really great that day.

Reactions: spinner4

I was at that Kansas game too. IIRC, Manning dribbled the ball off his leg and out of bounds to set up Reid's final shot. Devaney Pandemonium.

Reactions: spinner4
Does anyone remember that game against OU? (I think it was that year) I swear NU was down by 10 with about a minute left. That was probably the craziest ending to a game I've ever seen.
Honest to god I think I was watching it on a 13 inch tv with rabbit ears.

Does anyone remember that game against OU? (I think it was that year) I swear NU was down by 10 with about a minute left. That was probably the craziest ending to a game I've ever seen.
I remember late in the game they showed the foul trouble list for both teams and about 9 players were shown as “OUT.” Dave Logan was doing game and he said something like, “Is this a basketball game or a NASCAR race?”

Also remember Moody’s shot to send it into OT.

I didn’t go to Kansas City that year but some people I worked with confessed that they had left early and sold off their tickets for Saturday and Sunday, as Beau Reid describes in the article.

Last edited:
I remember the OU game happening, but not the details. I always remember a game against OU where Jaron Boone hit a buzzer beater with a shot that went over the corner of the backboard from the baseline. Eventually, they waved it off. I cant remember if we won or not.

Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb
I was at that Kansas game too. IIRC, Manning dribbled the ball off his leg and out of bounds to set up Reid's final shot. Devaney Pandemonium.

It was my sophomore year at KU and I watched it on TV with friends down in Lawrence. I endured a little teasing before the game and was told not to say a word after. I was slightly amused.:p

That was my freshman year at Nebraska. My dad had season tickets in the 80's, just because they were cheap and it was something to do. The fourth game of the season, they beat #5 Michigan State (three days after losing to Murray State), and you had to wonder if something special was happening. They didn't lose another game for TWO MONTHS. It was horrible how they lost in the first round of the tournament. You have to wonder if they were still spent from losing to Missouri in the Big Eight Championship four days earlier.

Reactions: mgbreis
I vividly remember Danny Nee saying to Husker fans to come see this team play because you will probably never witness a better basketball team at Nebraska. So far Nee has been right. I had NU in the elite eight that year. Yes, they were THAT good. Huskers beat Kansas twice in less then a week's time. The same KU team that went all the way to the national title game before finally getting beat by Duke. Losing in the first round as a 3 seed to Xavier was a huge disappointment. The lost to Penn a few years later was another big time downer. Huskers were Big 8 Tourney champs that year (1994).

Not up on my husker basketball But I thought one year we were a number four seed and got beat by Richmond in the first round

The first round loss for the 1991 team is by far the most disappointing Husker loss for any sport for me. Sure the 84 and 94 Orange Bowls sucked, but that tournament could have been a program changer. That team at minimum should have made the Sweet 16.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT