ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois

The Illinois DL is not real deep, they may go 5 deep on the front 3, but they also moved a starting OLineman to Dline after Bielema arrived. If Nebraska moved Benhart or Jurgens to Dline we would be concerned about DLine depth. Running the ball will help, but rushing the passer play after play takes as much out of a DLineman, physically, as getting pounded does. Teams with no depth need to get worn out physically, then mentally. Nebraska's Oline will probably be improved, but it isn't quite to the point of dominating a team up front yet.

In my opinion, I want to see to see a 50/50 or 55/45 mix of run/ pass over the 3 quarters then a steady diet of Stepp in the 4th to either salt the game away.
Idk...I played dline I'm hs and a season of semi pro arena ball. Rushing the passer charged my battery! Defending the run however...

But we'll see I guess. I do absolutely think depth is an issue for them. Their starters at least on offense and dline are solid though.

All you guys predicting a double digit win at Champagne ought to share a copy of your betting slips. I'm expect the point spread to narrow some by gameday. Its going to be an uncomfortably close game IMO, especially if its approaching mid-80s at KO. Nebraska by 6 something like that.

Lovie did not leave the cupboard bare and while a team with a first year coach can be a liability for that team, the first game with the first year coach also presents a problem for that team's opponent. Everyone else in the B10 will be watching the replay on Sunday to see what Bielema is running, wrinkles and all, while Nebraska will be finding out in real time.

does not wanting to lay the points = scared?

asking for a friend
@WHCSC

giphy.gif

Reactions: dinglefritz
Idk...I played dline I'm hs and a season of semi pro arena ball. Rushing the passer charged my battery! Defending the run however...

But we'll see I guess. I do absolutely think depth is an issue for them. Their starters at least on offense and dline are solid though.
How big were you then? That may have something to do with it

How big were you then? That may have something to do with it
At my peak I was a 6'1 240 defensive end benching 400, squatting 550 and deadlifting 500. I held my ground, don't get me wrong lol. There's just nothing like getting to pin your ears back and go qb hunting...

The big thing that stood out to me was their gap in depth. Their second team dropped off a cliff compared to their first team. I think depth (thank God) is finally becoming a strength of ours for the first time in a long time (aside from maybe QB sadly). Our best strategy to win might be to wear their starters on defense down with a good, patient run game and some no huddle offense that needs to finally zip lightning fast in year 4 of Frost's scheme like he did with UCF. I think if we can do that with some success and limit their big plays on offense, we stand a chance.
Bret is going to control the clock. We won't have a chance to wear anyone down. Our system doesn't work like that anyway. Offensive attempts will be limited and defensively we will be out there all day again. It could come down to kickers and turnovers.

Reactions: nu2u and BleedRed78
Bret is going to control the clock. We won't have a chance to wear anyone down. Our system doesn't work like that anyway. Offensive attempts will be limited and defensively we will be out there all day again. It could come down to kickers and turnovers.
You sound like our defense won’t get any stops🙄.. Man you’re a negative nelly…

At my peak I was a 6'1 240 defensive end benching 400, squatting 550 and deadlifting 500. I held my ground, don't get me wrong lol. There's just nothing like getting to pin your ears back and go qb hunting...
These guys have 60 pounds on where you were. That’s gonna tired them out a bit

All you guys predicting a double digit win at Champagne ought to share a copy of your betting slips. I'm expect the point spread to narrow some by gameday. Its going to be an uncomfortably close game IMO, especially if its approaching mid-80s at KO. Nebraska by 6 something like that.

Lovie did not leave the cupboard bare and while a team with a first year coach can be a liability for that team, the first game with the first year coach also presents a problem for that team's opponent. Everyone else in the B10 will be watching the replay on Sunday to see what Bielema is running, wrinkles and all, while Nebraska will be finding out in real time.
We get it. You hate America and the Huskers.

This was the game that would set the tone for the season. They are literally the worst team in the B1G ... though that could change
😥

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT