ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Baseball

I hope we at least score a couple runs on them next weekend. Our baseball season took a sharp decline south this season :(

Im sure the fighting Erstad's will come to play this weekend in hopes to land the #7 seed(lol) in the Big Ten tournament.

Is that the best they can get? 7? They are in for sure, right?

It's looking like 7th is the best we can do....8th is more likely because we likely won't do very well against Illinois. We are in for sure assuming we get one more win...that's the magic number. That or a Minnesota loss next weekend. Either way...it's pathetic we even have to worry about making the Big Ten tournament. We are going nowhere fast under Erstad.

Is that the best they can get? 7? They are in for sure, right?

Yes, 7th is the best they can do - doubtful with the way they are struggling to get through Purdue!. At this point they could drop out of 8th if they don't win today. Minnesota is reeling but I doubt we get one game in Champaign and if they sweep Mich st at home....we're out and they're in.

Yes, 7th is the best they can do - doubtful with the way they are struggling to get through Purdue!. At this point they could drop out of 8th if they don't win today. Minnesota is reeling but I doubt we get one game in Champaign and if they sweep Mich st at home....we're out and they're in.
We are going to lose again today. This team doesn't seem to care. We need more ball players and less speedo models. I thought for sure Erstad would change the attitude.

We are going to lose again today. This team doesn't seem to care. We need more ball players and less speedo models. I thought for sure Erstad would change the attitude.

Darin Erstad.........Sick

But hey....atleast Tom found a guy who would be here for the long run! As, that's more important than wins.

The Mike Anderson era is back today. We are getting beat up at home by a team that hasn't won a conference series in over two years and lost 16 straight conference games earlier this season. For that matter, I'm not even sure a Mike Anderson team ever reached that level of futility.

The Mike Anderson era is back today. We are getting beat up at home by a team that hasn't won a conference series in over two years and lost 16 straight conference games earlier this season. For that matter, I'm not even sure a Mike Anderson team ever reached that level of futility.
We deserve to stay home since we can`t even beat Purdue.

Reactions: sparky62

Really, the only thing Erstad has going for him is that he's not a complete D bag like Anderson was. Other than that...the Erstad hire has been a failure.

Really, the only thing Erstad has going for him is that he's not a complete D bag like Anderson was. Other than that...the Erstad hire has been a failure.

And once again it is time for my annual " we need more talent on the team " commentary. Not sure Erstad would know what to do with it even if we had the talent needed to compete with the big boys for an entire season.

Dare I ask where the speedo model reference is from and why you are looking for them?!?!?!Laughing

When the field flooded Roeder and another pitcher were on the dugout stairs in speedos
It was a generality. Seems like the whole team is more into looking cool and smooth rather than busting ass and doing what it takes. Again, opposite of how their coach played. Strange

When Erstad was hired, I was surprised at the number of people who were convinced he could just wave his World Series ring, great players would come running, and Husker Baseball would return to where it was under Van Horn and Childress. Anyone who didn't like the hire was in for a good finger-wagging.

I've tried to be supportive of Erstad, because he had a tough situation cleaning up the mess that Anderson left. But just as I feared, Erstad's not landing top-level talent and he's not keeping pace with some of the improving programs in the conference.

When Erstad was hired, I was surprised at the number of people who were convinced he could just wave his World Series ring, great players would come running, and Husker Baseball would return to where it was under Van Horn and Childress. Anyone who didn't like the hire was in for a good finger-wagging.

I've tried to be supportive of Erstad, because he had a tough situation cleaning up the mess that Anderson left. But just as I feared, Erstad's not landing top-level talent and he's not keeping pace with some of the improving programs in the conference.
Osborne overlooked every other candidate because Erstad loves Nebraska and would be here for the long run. He didn't consider that the long run under Erstad could mean a continued mediocre baseball program. Erstad had no business getting the job based on his actual resume. Just because you were a great college player and a solid MLB does not mean you are qualified to run a division 1 program.

Just because you were a great college player and a solid MLB does not mean you are qualified to run a division 1 program.

Agree. That's how I felt at the time, because a lot of baseball programs have done the same thing and it rarely works out. I was hopeful that Erstad would buck the trend, but he hasn't - not yet, anyway.

When the field flooded Roeder and another pitcher were on the dugout stairs in speedos

It was a generality. Seems like the whole team is more into looking cool and smooth rather than busting ass and doing what it takes. Again, opposite of how their coach played. Strange

Oh! Missed that. Yeah that's crazy.....being loose is one thing, but when you're spiraling out of control barely hanging on to the last spot to get into post-season when you should be competing for the title, the last thing I would want is my guys goofing around. Epic melt down to end the season. Could get ugly this weekend @ Illinois.

Being awfully tough on this team. How many of you actually attended UN-L or played college ball? Just curious.

I think they'll be fine moving forward.

Being awfully tough on this team. How many of you actually attended UN-L or played college ball? Just curious.

I think they'll be fine moving forward.

Outhit, out pitched, out coached, out hustled, out competed by the worst team in the conference. Just a few terms that Erstad used to describe this team. He attended UNL and played college ball. I'll take his assessment over yours. Still curious?

For teams to win, the game still has to be fun. Maybe erstad has taken all the "fun" out of it for these guys. I know the comeback, "winning is fun". Well, maybe the reverse is true. If the game is fun, youll win.......

So Mike A took the fun out of it....Darin Erstad takes the fun out of it....I'm sure Auggie, Van Horn were jerks/tough ...at some point our boys need to man up and play.

How you can't have fun playing at this level with our facilities. Buddy of mine went to Wheaton in Il, told me that numerous NW baseball kids said last year was the best baseball trip of their lives playing at Hawks field. Was the closest many get to a minor league/pro ball feel with atmosphere and facilities. Almost works to a disadvantage knowing we will get everyone's best shot and if our guys aren't having "fun" or bringing the "A" effort they will get beat by the Purdue's, NW's

Could be way off....just some thoughts

So Mike A took the fun out of it....Darin Erstad takes the fun out of it....I'm sure Auggie, Van Horn were jerks/tough ...at some point our boys need to man up and play.

How you can't have fun playing at this level with our facilities. Buddy of mine went to Wheaton in Il, told me that numerous NW baseball kids said last year was the best baseball trip of their lives playing at Hawks field. Was the closest many get to a minor league/pro ball feel with atmosphere and facilities. Almost works to a disadvantage knowing we will get everyone's best shot and if our guys aren't having "fun" or bringing the "A" effort they will get beat by the Purdue's, NW's

Could be way off....just some thoughts
I don't think it has anything to do with not having fun but more so Erstad's Inability to recruit(so far) to the type of offense he wants this program to be.

I just don't get how Boldt, Headley, Miller, Darby and Lubach all can hit then they tank vs the worst pitching staff yet that is Erstad. I blame players...mindset, preparation etc.

They didn't forget to hit week to week. Sure approach is coaching but these are big boys.

I just don't get how Boldt, Headley, Miller, Darby and Lubach all can hit then they tank vs the worst pitching staff yet that is Erstad. I blame players...mindset, preparation etc.

They didn't forget to hit week to week. Sure approach is coaching but these are big boys.
You are misinformed if you think this is a one week thing. Look at our stats in conference. This lineup had been lackluster all year. And yes...it falls on Erstad's shoulders.

25 games in a row! Just amazing. I don't care what the sport is and who the competition is, with a rotating pitching staff, what Illinois has accomplished is insane.

Honestly, I hope they keep the momentum into the CWS and represent the B1G well. The B1G overall has to continue to improve in order for top talent to consider playing in the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT