ADVERTISEMENT

Illini

Great hire for the Illini. I’m not sure where it went off the rails in Arkansas… Because it looked like he was really building something his first couple years there. Was it a recruiting issue?

Reactions: Uncle Donny
Good hire for Illinois
Good hire for the rest of the Big 10. He succeeded within a pre-built organization. Not much of Wisconsin's success goes to him. They were happy to see him go.

He does not have the resources, energy or discipline to succeed at a football desert like Illinois. I am pleased with this outcome. They'll stay where they are or possibly fall off even more. He's stealing their money.

Good hire for the rest of the Big 10. He succeeded within a pre-built organization. Not much of Wisconsin's success goes to him. They were happy to see him go.

He does not have the resources, energy or discipline to succeed at a football desert like Illinois. I am pleased with this outcome. They'll stay where they are or possibly fall off even more. He's stealing their money.
Major step down iMO. It's amazing what being an assistant or "consultant' for the Patriots will do for a guy's coaching career.

Reactions: TheNewNU and WHCSC
Great hire for the Illini. I’m not sure where it went off the rails in Arkansas… Because it looked like he was really building something his first couple years there. Was it a recruiting issue?

He needed to recruit Texas, It didn’t work, Add in drinking problem, Arrogant abrasive personality and he couldn’t keep assistant coaches.
I was living in Fort Smith Arkansas during B.B’s. stint in Fayetteville, The fanbase was very excited when he was hired, His mouth wrote a lot of checks his ability couldn’t cash, ( competing with Auburn, Alabama etc.). He did out kick his coverage with his wife so kudos for that!

Bielema6.jpg

Illini to give him 6 years, 4.2 million dollars. That's a lot of slop in the trough and exhibit A that many athletic directors have no idea what they're doing. They could have done so much better.

Illini to give him 6 years, 4.2 million dollars. That's a lot of slop in the trough and exhibit A that many athletic directors have no idea what they're doing. They could have done so much better.
Why in God's name would you hire a guy with that much baggage when you could have hired any number of young up and comers for that money who have proven they can build a program. Good heavens. Amazing.

Reactions: TheNewNU and WHCSC

Right now I feel like we know more about coaches stealing money.

Yes. He pissed off a lot of HS coaches in both Texas and Arkansas with his bravado and big ten know it all attitude. Wasn’t much appreciated down here. Consequently his recruiting dried up. Also, a lot of teams down here play wide open spread, and he was trying to enact a power game. Tough sell, ultimately cost him.

I think both the school and Bret are in similar positions...neither one are really in a position to demand much better.

Reactions: WHCSC

I agree. He’ll win a recruiting battle or two for the Illinois kid vs Iowa and Sconie and that’s a good thing.

He needed to recruit Texas, It didn’t work, Add in drinking problem, Arrogant abrasive personality and he couldn’t keep assistant coaches.
I was living in Fort Smith Arkansas during B.B’s. stint in Fayetteville, The fanbase was very excited when he was hired, His mouth wrote a lot of checks his ability couldn’t cash, ( competing with Auburn, Alabama etc.). He did out kick his coverage with his wife so kudos for that!

Bielema6.jpg
That is cringy as heck

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT