ADVERTISEMENT

IHCMJ

Meanfarmer3160

Sophomore
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2022
Awesome person by all accounts, why would we consider someone with no P5 headcoaching or even coordinator experience?

You have to start somewhere...
There are always hidden gems...
There are some that just need a lucky break...
Caught lightening in a bottle...
Happened to be in the right place at the right time...
He had 8 games to audition...

I could go on.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that MJ "gets 8 games" in the most difficult of circumstances while Frost was given 4 plus years and never even approached the standards some are placing on MJ.

I have taken over some difficult situations in my career, but in my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine what MJ has to deal with.

The better half.
Rex-Kwan-Do.jpg

Reactions: Meanfarmer3160
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that MJ "gets 8 games" in the most difficult of circumstances while Frost was given 4 plus years and never even approached the standards some are placing on MJ.

I have taken over some difficult situations in my career, but in my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine what MJ has to deal with.
Wouldn’t be disappointed if they gave him more time. He’s already cut dead weight and according to Trev has the authority to run the team his way. I’d like to know who he’d target for assistants if he were given a contract through ‘24–assuming he’d make some changes. Maybe not

He was at high school games last week during the bye. Looks to me like he’s filling the role pretty well. Now he just needs to string together some wins, or at least pass the eye test, whatever that may be

Wouldn’t be disappointed if they gave him more time. He’s already cut dead weight and according to Trev has the authority to run the team his way. I’d like to know who he’d target for assistants if he were given a contract through ‘24–assuming he’d make some changes. Maybe not

He was at high school games last week during the bye. Looks to me like he’s filling the role pretty well. Now he just needs to string together some wins, or at least pass the eye test, whatever that may be
Have we ever known who the assistants will be when a new HC was hired?

How are they going to give him more time? As soon as the season is over, a decision will need to be made. The clock is ticking towards that decision. It is highly unlikely they would chance stringing this out any longer and then how do you convince assistants to come under that mess?

How are they going to give him more time? As soon as the season is over, a decision will need to be made. The clock is ticking towards that decision. It is highly unlikely they would chance stringing this out any longer and then how do you convince assistants to come under that mess?
Mickey would have zero trouble getting good assistants if he were named the head coach. None

Busch- The advice from Aranda the past two weeks: “It wasn’t, ‘Hey you need to run this or do this,’ We just talked about being a coordinator again. I’ve leaned on Dave a lot on that. His methodology, just how he prepares for the week. I use that exactly.”

Joseph told the Journal Star. “Dave has a really good understanding of what he wants to do with his defense, so Bill’s gonna understand that just by being around Dave. That’s helped him tremendously.”

I really don’t think MJ though is fighting for HC, but OC. I think both he & Busch want to take Cord jobs and want Aranda to be HC. I really believe those two care more about NU football then their careers too. I think they believe Dave is the right guy for the job. Notice we don’t hear as much talk from them about Orgeron

Busch- The advice from Aranda the past two weeks: “It wasn’t, ‘Hey you need to run this or do this,’ We just talked about being a coordinator again. I’ve leaned on Dave a lot on that. His methodology, just how he prepares for the week. I use that exactly.”

Joseph told the Journal Star. “Dave has a really good understanding of what he wants to do with his defense, so Bill’s gonna understand that just by being around Dave. That’s helped him tremendously.”

I really don’t think MJ though is fighting for HC, but OC. I think both he & Busch want to take Cord jobs and want Aranda to be HC. I really believe those two care more about NU football then their careers too. I think they believe Dave is the right guy for the job. Notice we don’t hear as much talk from them about Orgeron
Frankly I would rather have a position coach as the head coach than getting promoted to the OC. Calling plays is a learned unique skill. Being a head coach is more about organization and management which are transferable from other jobs

Reactions: tarheelhusker

Simple, you negotiate a contract through ‘24 and let Mickey utilize the search firm that’s currently in place to go get his assistants. He’s already in rebuilding mode—give him a real shot at succeeding. I think a lot of fans would really respect that kind of approach from the AD. Would show some class

Reactions: tarheelhusker
Simple, you negotiate a contract through ‘24 and let Mickey utilize the search firm that’s currently in place to go get his assistants. He’s already in rebuilding mode—give him a real shot at succeeding. I think a lot of fans would really respect that kind of approach from the AD. Would show some class
I was listening to Mickey’s presser today. 2 weeks on the job and he already handles questions like he’s been a head coach for years.

Reactions: anon_ra9uhqho6u5t2
Frankly I would rather have a position coach as the head coach than getting promoted to the OC. Calling plays is a learned unique skill. Being a head coach is more about organization and management which are transferable from other jobs
I agree with you But somewhat don’t agree with you about not promoting a position coach being promoted to OC.

you say HC is about organization and management. So is play calling. Understanding the situation is critical to calling plays and those two qualities are Vidal to play calling.

as Mike Tyson side, everyone’s got a plan until they get punched in the face. And that goes with play calling too

Reactions: bshirt73
I agree with you But somewhat don’t agree with you about not promoting a position coach being promoted to OC.

you say HC is about organization and management. So is play calling. Understanding the situation is critical to calling plays and those two qualities are Vidal to play calling.

as Mike Tyson side, everyone’s got a plan until they get punched in the face. And that goes with play calling too
Exactly why you need practice calling plays before I want to hire you as my OC. Show me you can do it. Right now Mickey has a great opportunity to show us what he can do running a program under difficult circumstances. So far I like the moves he’s made.

Excellent point and a fact that has been lost on some of our prior ADs. And some of our fans/boosters.
Like it or not Callahan was great at those things. Probably the best we’ve had since Tom. His failures were personality and his defensive staff. (That’s sort of management). Bill would have gotten rid of Coz and Elmo if Tom would have let him. Most people don’t realize that Elmo was forced on Callahan. Bo was fairly good organizationally but his management skills were a lot like Atilla The Hun. Frost? Pfft.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
Mickey would have zero trouble getting good assistants if he were named the head coach. None
I don't doubt that but there is no way he can say who his assistants would be until the time presents itself, that was the point.

I’d like one of our own to be successful right here in Nebraska. They truly know the fans and traditions.
Cheers Coach!
this attitude from fans and boosters is exactly the reason we are awful. nobody gives a shit about “muh tradition” when we’re getting boatraced by every team with a pulse

if Mickey strings together some wins, great. But let’s not start requiring that guys have some ties to the program.

Reactions: HuskAir
My thoughts exactly. And I am sure he is already sending out feelers to potential assistants so that if and when Trev interviews him for the job he can credibly point to a first class staff that he is bringing in. I think he would make an excellent head coach since he seems to have that "it" factor. Or so it seems to me. Best case scenario in my view would be if he wins five or six more games and we go 6-6 or 7-5. I do not see us beating Minnesota or Michigan, but if MJ and Busch can find a way to get the defense to at least an "average" status we could potentially win the rest. I am pessimistic about that happening and there is the added complication that our offensive line is now banged up and have not played well to begin with. We have been awful on both lines which does not bode well for MJ's chances.

MJ was on the LSU staff for 5 years
He was assoc head coach in 20 and 21

was he interviewed for the LSU job?

was he offered any head coaching jobs in 22 prior to coming to NU as a position coach?

will he be in consideration for any other head coaching jobs other than NU for 2023?

this attitude from fans and boosters is exactly the reason we are awful. nobody gives a shit about “muh tradition” when we’re getting boatraced by every team with a pulse

if Mickey strings together some wins, great. But let’s not start requiring that guys have some ties to the program.
I think the point tarheelhusker was making is it would be nice if one of our own was successful, not because he is one of our own he should get the job. Those are two different things.

I see a lot of people open to MJ getting the job, and you are right, it shouldn’t be handed to him because he’s a former husker, but if he can turn things around, he would be a great ambassador for Nebraska. But the only way you find out is letting him succeed or not. Do we want to take that risk? I don’t know.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Really why he has no P5 headcoaching experience, have we not learned those hard lessons? More experiments because he's a good dude? I want a winner a proven winner at the highest level.

We do not need anymore sentimental choices for head coach. This is big business let's treat it as such and get the best and grow this thing.

ADVERTISEMENT