ADVERTISEMENT

If you could insert yourself into any big play the past 40 years

Bugeater

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Surprise, AZ via North Platte
of Nebraska football, which one would you put yourself in? Would you just want to be a player on the field when it happened, or be THE one who makes the play? Go back even another 10 years if you like.

So many to choose from, just imagine your name on the back of the jersey!

dd9G4.jpg

I would like to be the qb pitching or with the options when T O went for two and the National Title in the 80's. The other poster will make a good ref

Would have loved to been on the field for Schlesinger's TD run to put us up 24-17 in the '95 Orange Bowl. Decades of frustration released at that moment.

Personally, I would have liked to have been a part of the equipment crew during the 06 Texas game. I would have put extra strong crazy glue on Terrance Nunn's gloves.

2009 Big12 title game, so I could let the pre-snap clock run just one or two seconds longer on one of our plays in the second half.

Reactions: dckchusker
John Ruud. Actually, I'd like to be the ref and actually make the right call on that one.

He did make the right call. Kelly Phelps stepped on the sideline when he made the catch. In the very corner of the most common view of the play you can see the official waving his hands over his head to indicate the play was dead. The place was so noisy that no one heard the whistle. Several years back (probably 2008) they replayed the game on NETV with commentary by a number of people. John Ruud explained what had happened during the show, narrating over a shot from one of NU's camera's on the sidelines that showed Phelps clearly out of bounds. While Ruud said it was the correct call, the problem he still had was that no one explained what had happened even to TO until after the game.

He did make the right call. Kelly Phelps stepped on the sideline when he made the catch. In the very corner of the most common view of the play you can see the official waving his hands over his head to indicate the play was dead. The place was so noisy that no one heard the whistle. Several years back (probably 2008) they replayed the game on NETV with commentary by a number of people. John Ruud explained what had happened during the show, narrating over a shot from one of NU's camera's on the sidelines that showed Phelps clearly out of bounds. While Ruud said it was the correct call, the problem he still had was that no one explained what had happened even to TO until after the game.

Check out this video:
If Phelps stepped out (and it doesn't look like he did), they would have spotted the ball at the 10. An official was looking intently as Phelps was close to the sideline, and he did not react. As they are examining Phelps on the ground, you can see the official spotting the ball at the 19. The official waving his arms wildly was at the 19, ruling Phelps down. It was probably the same official that was watching him at the 10 yard line.

The whole second half of this game used to be on YouTube. It would be nice to see it there again.

ADVERTISEMENT