ADVERTISEMENT

If we lose to Purdue’s Diaco defense...

I’m a whole lot more worried about stopping Moore, Bell and that passing game.

me too, surprising we average 2 more yards a game than Purdue but Moore has only played in two games..

Frost staff should know Diaco’s defense enough to be pretty productive except we don’t have UCF‘s talent...

Reactions: lazysunday
Sounds as if we're tiptoeing around saying this game is "winnable."
giphy.gif

Purdue struggled defensively in most of the Rutgers game, but especially after Derrick Barnes was ejected for targeting.

That game was interesting, in that a Rutgers offense that had been rather prone to turnovers and shooting itself in the foot stuck to the basics with its backup QBs and just focused on moving the chains. They also got a big kickoff return for a TD, but I think offenses often perform better when there are fewer toys in the toybox and the OC/play caller isn't focused on showing everyone how brilliant he is.

Purdue struggled defensively in most of the Rutgers game, but especially after Derrick Barnes was ejected for targeting.

That game was interesting, in that a Rutgers offense that had been rather prone to turnovers and shooting itself in the foot stuck to the basics with its backup QBs and just focused on moving the chains. They also got a big kickoff return for a TD, but I think offenses often perform better when there are fewer toys in the toybox and the OC/play caller isn't focused on showing everyone how brilliant he is.
Rutgers mixed in their throwing QB, Sitkowski, with the runner, Langan.

They ran the ball 52 times, with Langan carrying it 21 times for 95 yards. He also completed all four of his passes.

Their running backs had 25 carries, while Sitkowski had three, and they gave it on reverses a couple of times.

Sitkowski threw 27 times. So that's about a 2:1 run:pass ratio. QB run:RB run ratio was 1:1.

No interceptions on those 31 passes, and only one sack.

Rutgers punted just once, going for it on fourth down three times, converting once. They were 10-17 on third down.

In short:
  • Heavy on the run
  • Two-headed QB, playing to the strengths of each
  • Don't be afraid of third and even fourth down
  • Try to win special teams for a change
  • Purdue without their best LB for the first half (targeting)
  • Purdue without their best DE for the entire game (COVID)
On the other side:
  • Frost 0-2 vs. Brohm
  • Purdue beat Iowa; we didn't.
  • We seem to shit the bed against teams like this

They ran the ball 52 times, with Langan carrying it 21 times for 95 yards. He also completed all four of his passes.

Their running backs had 25 carries, while Sitkowski had three, and they gave it on reverses a couple of times.

Sitkowski threw 27 times. So that's about a 2:1 run:pass ratio. QB run:RB run ratio was 1:1.

Rutgers punted just once, going for it on fourth down three times, converting once. They were 10-17 on third down.

In short:
  • Heavy on the run
On the other side:
  • Frost 0-2 vs. Brohm
Yeah the one sack Rutgers gave up was early in the game and resulted in a safety. It was 3rd and 11 from their own two-yard line, and the OC called a slow-developing play-action pass. Why you would go play action on 3rd and 11 is beyond me, let alone from the end zone. But I think that play also helped convince Schiano and his OC to keep it simple and minimize the cute factor the rest of the way.

Unless Purdue gets healthy on the Dline and Karlaftis miraculously avoids the 21 day covid, Nebraska shouldn't pass the ball with Barnes being out in the first half due to that BS targeting. If they don't have 200 yards rushing....

There is no reasonable reason, considering where the program is, to believe that they should be able to do everything that needs to be done in a game, to win that game.
what once people thought was a difficult schedule turns out to be a pretty easy schedule. Penn State is the worst team in the league even though they outgained us by 200 yards. None of the teams in the West is any good except maybe wisconsin and we didn't have to play them. basically avoided 2 losses that people thought were guaranteed losses before the season began. the West might be the worst division in college fb

In short:
  • Heavy on the run
On the other side:
  • Frost 0-2 vs. Brohm

Don't have your running backs fumble. Leading to 10 unanswered points to close out game, would be good.

Take advantage of any Purdue mistakes. As we all know, TDs > FGs.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Purdue has given up more points in each successive game this year. If the pattern holds NU should score 40+.

• Wow
Reactions: cidsports
Boilers have scored 42 points (2018) and 31 points (2019) against Chinander.

In 2019, Rondale Moore did not play and neither did Purdue’s starting QB. Also their backup QB got hurt during the game, leading to their third string QB driving Purdue the length of the field on a game winning drive.

Huskers need to score 35+ points on Saturday to win. We will not imo, which means another loss is coming our way

Unless Purdue gets healthy on the Dline and Karlaftis miraculously avoids the 21 day covid, Nebraska shouldn't pass the ball with Barnes being out in the first half due to that BS targeting. If they don't have 200 yards rushing....

Are you still confident that Diaco can get it done? Your board seems to be melting down on how bad the guy sucks... We tried to tell you.

what once people thought was a difficult schedule turns out to be a pretty easy schedule. Penn State is the worst team in the league even though they outgained us by 200 yards. None of the teams in the West is any good except maybe wisconsin and we didn't have to play them. basically avoided 2 losses that people thought were guaranteed losses before the season began. the West might be the worst division in college fb

It has been for like 8 years

Which leads me to believe we'll throw 40 times. We are, unquestionably, the dumbest team in America.

Diaco, Riley, ho, ho, ho. Imagine if we had such incompetent coaches. We are so lucky to have the 2017 UCF coaches. I still get goosebumps remembering that glorious 2017 Knights season!

Are you still confident that Diaco can get it done? Your board seems to be melting down on how bad the guy sucks... We tried to tell you.
Ehh. I think its more than just Diaco being bad. The defense was pretty good until injuries set in. No one really knows if it is Diaco, the youth on defense, or what exactly. There are two camps. The he sucks and needs to go camp and the he hasn't been outstanding, but look at the defense he has to work with. Outside of 5 or 6 players, 4 of which have been injured on and off, he has nothing to work with in terms of upperclassmen or talented upperclassmen.

Where am I? I think im in the middle. Idk that hes been great, but without karlaftis, watts, and Mitchell on the dline, its a bunch of underclassmen and a stud in Lorenzo Neal. Zero pass rush and Diaco needs that for his D to work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT