ADVERTISEMENT

If TO had coached at Bama

How many National Championships would he have won there?
What parameters are we dealing with here? Are we assuming that Tom studied under Bryant instead of Devaney? Takes over in 73 and sticks around until 97? Is Epley involved in the same way?

Maybe several, maybe zero.

Succeeding and working for Devaney was likely a lot better fit for TO than being the guy who stepped in for The Bear.

What parameters are we dealing with here? Are we assuming that Tom studied under Bryant instead of Devaney? Takes over in 73 and sticks around until 97? Is Epley involved in the same way?

I have never seen so many qualifiers and such a crazy hypothetical!

I go with 3.

I know we think of Tom as a legend, and he was smart to go out on top, but it was really a long process of him trying to figure things out, getting beat in the orange bowl for a lot of years before he got the right formula.

make a few changes, have him leave for Colorado, and his career doesn't come close to being a hall of fame coach.

He wouldn't have won a title at Alabama during those years. Alabama wasn't really even relevant then either.

Bill Snyder would have been a better hypothetical. Tom was legendary and won everything at N. I'm not sure how he could have done any better at Bama.

Bill, however, although he could have taken the UCLA job in the mid-90s, stuck with it at K-State and got close a couple times but never wore the ring. Had he been at Alabama or UCLA for that matter, one can only guess.

I know we think of Tom as a legend, and he was smart to go out on top, but it was really a long process of him trying to figure things out, getting beat in the orange bowl for a lot of years before he got the right formula.

make a few changes, have him leave for Colorado, and his career doesn't come close to being a hall of fame coach.

He wouldn't have won a title at Alabama during those years. Alabama wasn't really even relevant then either.

I'm sorry what period of time are you talking about with regards to Alabama and not being relevant?

just looked it up. bama lost 13 games between 71 and 80. that seems relevant.

just looked it up. bama lost 13 games between 71 and 80. that seems relevant.

To me the question in this hypothetical is would he take over for Bryant after the 1982 season? Or for Ray Perkins after the 1986 season.

The Tide in 1982 was still relevant, a little less so in 1986

I'm sorry what period of time are you talking about with regards to Alabama and not being relevant?
Other than a few showings, pretty much the 80's, 90's, up through about 2008. Since then, they have been dominant, and in the 70's they were dominant too. But during that timeframe I mention, they were not talked about much. Florida cleaned their clock repeatedly.

That is only 4 conference titles during a 28 year run.. and why I called them not too relevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyldcard
ADVERTISEMENT