ADVERTISEMENT

If the team responds,

The program is in good hands. After watching this, I hope he can pull it off.

I hope so, too. The players do seem to love him. And even though it was against Indiana, it sure seemed to show that many have bought in to the physicality and playing for themselves mentality.

MJ seems like a solid dude, the players love him and play hard for him, so it would be splendid if this all worked out as-is.

I suppose, if anything, it would be a pleasant surprise for all the players and the fanbase.

I just want Nebraska to be successful. I don’t care what the coaches name is or where he played college football. Having said that, I am very impressed with Mickey. I hope he has a great run the rest of that way and stakes claim to the job. Not because he is a former Husker, but because I think he has “it” and has a very high ceiling.

I find it interesting that a player like Frost who was coached by a man who demanded toughness and was a starting QB of a national Championship team yet he became so soft, he lost his tough mentality in my opinion.

Frost acted tough as a coach but under his guidance his teams became very soft and gave up in most cases. Now we get to see what toughness is really like under the guidance of coach Joseph and it's night and day from Frost.

I wonder, when did Frost become so weak minded he certainly wasn't a weak minded player at Nebraska, he was a tough player but became a weak and soft coach and not a true leader of young men.

Mickey is just doing what Nebraska football coaches have done for most of the years since Devaney came. What Frost was doing becomes more and more of a mystery. It's not like the dude hadn't seen how it was done.

Frost only had a small snapshot of NU football to go off. He spent most of his career working under more of a finesse style of football than he did at NU. What was he here? 3 years? Out of a 15-20year career. Mickey came in as a young kid, worked his way up to starter, then just kept grinding everywhere he went. Not sure where Frost went wrong/soft.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that Mickey was Trev’s hire.
I'm kind of curious about his vision for the team long-term. Does he like the offense he has or is he making the best of the situation to salvage the season.

It seems all of these coaches should understand about the need to be physical and tough, have great line play, special teams and limit/minimize mistakes like penalties and turnovers. But how do great coaches actually accomplish what they say they are about? Scott Frost was obviously a huge fraud and failed on multiple fronts.

Mickey is going to make a huge emphasis on recruiting. He can recruit and so can Busch. We need more, and we need a proven plan for development and retention of talent

Frost only had a small snapshot of NU football to go off. He spent most of his career working under more of a finesse style of football than he did at NU. What was he here? 3 years? Out of a 15-20year career. Mickey came in as a young kid, worked his way up to starter, then just kept grinding everywhere he went. Not sure where Frost went wrong/soft.
Yep, Frosty got corrupted. He should have been disgusted by the soft play he saw at all the schools he went to after Nebraska. It's like he never really understood what made Nebraska great. Those guys could pull together and put dread into their opponents with a relentless mauling style football. They didn't always win, but they were almost always the toughest team on the field that day.

Mickey is just doing what Nebraska football coaches have done for most of the years since Devaney came. What Frost was doing becomes more and more of a mystery. It's not like the dude hadn't seen how it was done.
Frost is a guy that believes X's and O's is what wins you games when the lights are on you on Saturday. Mickey believes in doing your work in the dark, then that work will be it's own light on Saturday.

Frost is a guy that believes X's and O's is what wins you games when the lights are on you on Saturday. Mickey believes in doing your work in the dark, then that work will be it's own light on Saturday.
That's probably accurate, but he sure was stupid to think the atmosphere of practice could simulate what an opponent would do on a Saturday. Just too many variables to account for while believing the scheme would take care of it all.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Owning the conversation and gig from the jump. I appreciate it and will pull for him and this team. Great opportunity for Mickey. 1 Day at a time. 1 game at a time. GBR
Just the little I've seen, he is my choice for head coach. Give him a short contract with lots of reward for success. He will excel at recruiting, players love him, and he's great in the interviews. His honesty about everything is refreshing.

Reactions: headcard
That's probably accurate, but he sure was stupid to think the atmosphere of practice could simulate what an opponent would do on a Saturday. Just too many variables to account for while believing the scheme would take care of it all.
I have no disagreement with your assessment. Is Mickey the guy? Who knows, but he does seem to have many of the intangibles and that it factor that could make him a very successful HC.

Yep, Frosty got corrupted. He should have been disgusted by the soft play he saw at all the schools he went to after Nebraska. It's like he never really understood what made Nebraska great. Those guys could pull together and put dread into their opponents with a relentless mauling style football. They didn't always win, but they were almost always the toughest team on the field that day.
Most likely happened when he was an assistant at Oregon. :)

Just the little I've seen, he is my choice for head coach. Give him a short contract with lots of reward for success. He will excel at recruiting, players love him, and he's great in the interviews. His honesty about everything is refreshing.
Short contracts will hurt you in recruiting. He'd have to get at least 4 years. I'd say 4 years, 20 million, with accelerators for success.

I have no disagreement with your assessment. Is Mickey the guy? Who knows, but he does seem to have many of the intangibles and that it factor that could make him a very successful HC.
Yeah, I'm a little bit hesitant, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. When Trev handed him the game ball last week and the team erupted, that spoke volumes to me.

I want to see three more games. We lose tomorrow or get the shit kicked out of us by Purdue and/or Illinois you guys are all going to be singing a different tune. I like the guy but jeeze, take a deep breath.
You're right, we need to see how this team responds the rest of the way before we anoint Mickey as the guy to turn the program around. I am happy Alberts made the decision to give Joseph the reins for the remainder of the season, now it's up to Mickey to see what he can do with it. I would be very happy if Joseph does indeed turn things and we don't have to turn to an outsider especially a retread or cast off from another team.

Mickey is definitely saying and doing the right things. I love his enthusiasm about the program and where it’s headed in the future…
Win the West to change Trev's mind. I hope know one thinks Trev is waiting till November to see. Trev has his man.

Short contracts will hurt you in recruiting. He'd have to get at least 4 years. I'd say 4 years, 20 million, with accelerators for success.
I wonder if longer contracts mean as much now with the transfer portal? I wonder how many recruits think, "I wonder if this coach will be here for my 4 years?" If players don't like a school, or playing time, it's easier than ever before to just leave.

Far too soon for me. Trying not to get wrapped up in the moment. We have forgotten what’s it’s like to have a voice that breeds enthusiasm and not eye rolls.
Let’s settle in and see how the season progresses. How the team responds to his communication internally. Responds to getting curb stomped, because I still expect that to happen at some point with the lack of defensive talent we have up front. What will the next game look like.

If we can string together another performance like last week (minus the penalties) it will show us there has been a legit shift. I will believe right now, today, Mickey can come in and get us to Bo Pelini team level, and possibly a little better. 8-11 wins year in year out. I believe he understands he can't do it alone and needs top level coordinators and assistants to help him.

But I do not know if he can move us past that. Maybe, maybe not. Is that enough for this fan base? Is beating Iowa 8/10 years good enough? That is pretty much where we were when Bo was let go. We wanted more. Now we are so far down, I think getting back to that 'Bo' level is a good start. But for how long?

Of course, I could be completely full of sh#t. I thought Frost would do the same here.

Reactions: BleedRed78
If we can string together another performance like last week (minus the penalties) it will show us there has been a legit shift. I will believe right now, today, Mickey can come in and get us to Bo Pelini team level, and possibly a little better. 8-11 wins year in year out. I believe he understands he can't do it alone and needs top level coordinators and assistants to help him.

But I do not know if he can move us past that. Maybe, maybe not. Is that enough for this fan base? Is beating Iowa 8/10 years good enough? That is pretty much where we were when Bo was let go. We wanted more. Now we are so far down, I think getting back to that 'Bo' level is a good start. But for how long?

Of course, I could be completely full of sh#t. I thought Frost would do the same here.
Lol me also, MJ is not it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT