ADVERTISEMENT

If the naritive is it's not possible to win in lincoln,

This was interesting. Rhule turned down Nebraska, then they came back to him. This leads me to believe he WAS Trev’s top guy all along and he did what it took to secure him!

Reactions: bama_husker

This was interesting. Rhule turned down Nebraska, then they came back to him. This leads me to believe he WAS Trev’s top guy all along and he did what it took to secure him!
What’s weird is that they’re saying the they’re saying the exact same thing about Fickell: that he turned down Wisconsin initially, but then went back to him with a better offer once the AD decided that Leonhard wasn’t the answer.

Fickell

I've told this story here a lot, so I'll abbreviate. I worked with a Vietnamese immigrant who was a boat person. Unlike most Vietnamese in SoCal, this guy was a football fanatic, more pro than college. He told me to enjoy our Nattys because schools in cold weather areas can't win anymore because kids only want to play in the SEC. Told him last time I checked OSU, Notre Dame, PSU, etc. were doing OK and he said, "That's different". I could never pin him down on why that was different.

then why does lincoln have 3 times the NC's then the whole state of texas since 1980?
Perhaps the narrative needs to be its not possible until you have a one in a hundred year coach named Tom Osborne. Until proven differently, that is the narrative.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
I've told this story here a lot, so I'll abbreviate. I worked with a Vietnamese immigrant who was a boat person. Unlike most Vietnamese in SoCal, this guy was a football fanatic, more pro than college. He told me to enjoy our Nattys because schools in cold weather areas can't win anymore because kids only want to play in the SEC. Told him last time I checked OSU, Notre Dame, PSU, etc. were doing OK and he said, "That's different". I could never pin him down on why that was different.
Sounds like he's been listening to Cowherd, I've heard him say that kids want to be at the beach not scooping snow several times.

Good segment, but someone should let him know that we've been playing Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St virtually every year. Scrapping divisions should hurt Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. We shall see though.

What’s weird is that they’re saying the they’re saying the exact same thing about Fickell: that he turned down Wisconsin initially, but then went back to him with a better offer once the AD decided that Leonhard wasn’t the answer.

Fickell
This is extremely common. If he’s your first choice, you'll go back to him. If he’s not, you won't try again and say he’s not interested. That's why it's so hard to pinpoint what a 'realistic' hire actually is. We assume guys like Urban are unrealistic and then don't even try. All along it might have been more realistic if we actually tried. If even the 2nd tier hires take multiple tries before saying yes, why not take a chance at the absolute best?

Reactions: Frozone
Perhaps the narrative needs to be its not possible until you have a one in a hundred year coach named Tom Osborne. Until proven differently, that is the narrative.
true, but I remember someone named bob, who gave tom his job, who also won just as many NC's in his time in lincoln, then the whole state of texas...so point stands, you can win in lincoln...it's possible,not this impossible everest folks paint,

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Those schools have local recruiting bases…except Notre Dame…and they are different. Still, clearly it is not impossible to have success at Nebraska. It is more difficult sure. Some of the advantages we had in the past are gone, but not all of them. Nebraska is still a special place with great facilities, fans, and history.

then why does lincoln have 3 times the NC's then the whole state of texas since 1980?
It's possible, but look at the talent the state of Nebraska produced in the 90s. It was insane. You had a Heisman trophy winner. Linemen on both sides with incredible NFL careers. Superbowl winning running backs. This state has not put out anything remotely close to that since that time frame.

So both Nebraska and Wisconsin went back with bigger bags of money....and both got their man....

Who would have guessed....

If this doesn't work out with Rhule, and I hope it does, they should learn from this and go drop the damn Brinks truck, it's garage, and the road it drives on, in the lap of the best dang coach out there by performance.

Or they can keep screwing around.

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
So both Nebraska and Wisconsin went back with bigger bags of money....and both got their man....

Who would have guessed....

If this doesn't work out with Rhule, and I hope it does, they should learn from this and go drop the damn Brinks truck, it's garage, and the road it drives on, in the lap of the best dang coach out there by performance.

Or they can keep screwing around.
seeing a&m and msu did 100 million for jimbo and tucker
and trev did 62 for rhule..

I'd say he did great

Reactions: Dylman
Sounds like a sour grapes Bo fan.
Not a fan of Bo. Just pointing out as great as TO was, it took 21 years for him to get his first NC. He had his chances earlier but it isn’t easy. I remember many said he couldn’t win the big ones. College Football is much different now. It’s not like the Big 8 / Big-12 days for us.

It also took TO 21 years to finally do it. No coach is given 21 years today.
Here's a summary of our year-end AP poll rankings under TO: 1973 to 1976 - Top 10; 1977 - 12; 1978 to 1980 - Top 10; 1981 - 11; 1982 to 1984 - Top 5; 1985 - 11; 1986 - Top 5; 1987 to 1988 - Top 10; 1989 - 11; 1990 - 24; 1991 - 15; 1992 - 14; 1993 - Top 5; 1994 - 1995 - 1; 1996 -Top 10; 1997 - Top 5 (2 in AP; 1 in Coaches)

Tom Osborne was in absolutely no danger of being fired for almost always getting us ranked at year end in the Top 10 and frequently in the Top 5 - there would still be a statue of him if the three NCs hadn't happened

Interesting he talks about how getting rid of divisions will make it more difficult for Nebraska to "get back" to being competitive. Because we would have to play OSU and Michigan "every couple years."

Without looking, haven't we played either one or both of those teams every year since joining the B1G?

Reactions: bama_husker
Interesting he talks about how getting rid of divisions will make it more difficult for Nebraska to "get back" to being competitive. Because we would have to play OSU and Michigan "every couple years."

Without looking, haven't we played either one or both of those teams every year since joining the B1G?
The only thing getting rid of divisions would do would eliminate the chance of Nebraska winning the Big 10 West division - well, who cares? There's not a single team in the Big 10 West right now ranked in the top 25 in the AP poll - winning that division isn't exactly something to boast about.

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
Not that it matters now, but it’s interesting who the two schools that he desires that wants to coach for if he didn’t receiver the right deal..

true, but I remember someone named bob, who gave tom his job, who also won just as many NC's in his time in lincoln, then the whole state of texas...so point stands, you can win in lincoln...it's possible,not this impossible everest folks paint,
A bit or revisionist history here. Yes, Bob did turn the program around when he came in 1962 after being let go by Wyo. He had some very good seasons and was 47-8 in his first 5 years at Nebraska. Then he had some stinker years of 6-4 twice and the talk began. So he wasn't exactly trending in the right direction. Then he hires Tom and the rest, as they say, is history. They go on to win the NC in 70-71.

The simple answer is yes, Bob did win at Nebraska but he needed someone like Tom to get him over the top when the sledding got rough in 67-68 which Tom not only did but continued to do for many more years.

Keep in mind that those three NC's came under Coach Osborne with at least two of those teams being ranked very highly in terms of best college teams of all times. Different times, different type of players, different conferences, etc. Can still win in Lincoln but perhaps not like the 1990's.

It's possible, but look at the talent the state of Nebraska produced in the 90s. It was insane. You had a Heisman trophy winner. Linemen on both sides with incredible NFL careers. Superbowl winning running backs. This state has not put out anything remotely close to that since that time frame.
And why is that? They still play football in NE. Why is Omaha schools not turning out a few very talented RB's anymore? Curious?

Yeah, I don't think Greg has looked closely at our schedule since joining the Big 10. However, in general, If you had a true power in the west right now, they would have a relatively easy path the the CCG and probably the playoffs.

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
I think the conventional wisdom is that the game changed somewhat in the 2000s: The SEC became the center of gravity of the CFB world, everyone's games are televised, strength training became ubiquitous, power/option football was no longer a thing in P5, etc. If you are not in the SEC, only certain recruiting powers like tOSU, Michigan, Clemson, maybe ND, FSU & USC have a chance to compete at the highest levels. It remains to be seen how far Nebraska can go in this era with good coaching.

Reactions: redwine65
That's just a ignorant perspective, like I encountered countess times down south.

And why is that? They still play football in NE. Why is Omaha schools not turning out a few very talented RB's anymore? Curious?
Gee idk. How many Superbowl caliber players came from Nebraska in the last 60 years?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT