ADVERTISEMENT

IF Texas and OU go to the SEC, who would you most like to see in the B1G?

Oct 7, 2012
Baylor
Boston College
Boise State
BYU
Georgia Tech
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Louisville
North Carolina
Notre Dame
Oklahoma State
Pittsburg
San Diego State
Syracuse
TCU
Texas Tech
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
West Virginia

Tried to make this a poll but there were too many picks. These are all the realistic teams I could think of.

Assuming they take 2... From a fan perspective, I miss the short road trips to KU and KSU, so I'd selfishly want those back. I think the best picks for the conference would be North Carolina & Virginia, assuming they could be poached from the ACC. Despite Notre Dame's recent success, the Irish Catholic influence & the ND brand is starting to fade a bit. Long term I think NC & UVA are the better picks. JMO.

Baylor
Boston College
Boise State
BYU
Georgia Tech
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Louisville
North Carolina
Notre Dame
Oklahoma State
Pittsburg
San Diego State
Syracuse
TCU
Texas Tech
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
West Virginia

Tried to make this a poll but there were too many picks. These are all the realistic teams I could think of.

Assuming they take 2... From a fan perspective, I miss the short road trips to KU and KSU, so I'd selfishly want those back. I think the best picks for the conference would be North Carolina & Virginia, assuming they could be poached from the ACC. Despite Notre Dame's recent success, the Irish Catholic influence & the ND brand is starting to fade a bit. Long term I think NC & UVA are the better picks. JMO.
The only realistic candidates are Kansas and Colorado. Notre Dame and an ACC team won't happen due to buyout penalties. Although I don't really know what Notre Dame's contract penalty is, but for ACC teams it is like > $100,000,000 buyout penalty.

Wishfull thinking it would be 1. Notre Dame 2. North Carolina 3. Virginia/Ga Tech

Reactions: headcard
The only realistic candidates are Kansas and Colorado. Notre Dame and an ACC team won't happen due to buyout penalties. Although I don't really know what Notre Dame's contract penalty is, but for ACC teams it is like > $100,000,000 buyout penalty.
Does Colorado want out of the PAC? Why would they come along?

Wouldn’t Okie State be looking for a home? Kansas and Okie State would be cool.

Reactions: Huskerpro
Does Colorado want out of the PAC? Why would they come along?

Not sure Colorado wants out of Pac, but for more $ they might. Not sure they (and Kansas) work for BIG economics too, Delaney didn't even want Missery. Who knows? I think the BIG does nothing, possibly just take Kansas.

I wrote this in another thread, but to get an ACC team would be cost prohibitive for the school. Someone would have to do the math but it would take many years just to make upThe difference for the $50 million buyout to lead the ACC. Then you would have the buy in to the Big Ten.
The ACC network will continue to mature and bring in more dollars plus their other media rights. IfNotre Dame goes to the ACC in this round of expansion/contraction, the value of the ACC goes up and their TV partners will renegotiate their deals early.
Texas will add revenues to pay for themselves in the SEC, OU will be close, but I can’t think of 2 schools out there that the Big Ten could bring in that would generate $110 million in revenue to pay for themselves

Texas will add revenues to pay for themselves in the SEC, OU will be close, but I can’t think of 2 schools out there that the Big Ten could bring in that would generate $110 million in revenue to pay for themselves

I'm not a basketball fan so I honestly don't know but wouldn't the KU program with that team bring in some hefty dollars? KU/ND if possible I would think could be close? and that's purely me pulling numbers out of the sky

Actually, OSU would be a fun addition that I think would help us from a recruiting standpoint in Texas.... tons of kids from down here head OU/OSU's direction... perhaps we could be in the fray

Reactions: NUinnwks
I'm not a basketball fan so I honestly don't know but wouldn't the KU program with that team bring in some hefty dollars? KU/ND if possible I would think could be close? and that's purely me pulling numbers out of the sky
after last year, there isn't a chance in hell ND would join the b1g regardless of dollars.

the ACC bent over backwards for them last football season. they'll be justly rewarded for their foresight.

• Sad
Reactions: dinglefritz

Wishfull thinking it would be 1. Notre Dame 2. North Carolina 3. Virginia/Ga Tech
Careful. The key word by OP is "like" to see as opposed to who ultimately gets in.

Logic and like aren't the same. Your post is logical and a good point. But who would you"like" to see.

In a way I would like to see TCU and Baylor. Gets us into Texas. Baylor has very good academia.

I also like ND and ku.

There basketball stature would help with any renegotiations with Fox/ESPN in 2023 for sure. I don't know that it would be worth the whatever millions that would be needed to keep the rest of the Big Ten schools whole though.

The KC, Topeka, Wichita, rural Kansas market is decent sized, but getting the Big Ten network into the regular cable networks in Kansas would be beneficial.

Colorado would be another good candidate, but again I don't think they approach bringing in the $55 mil in revenues that would be needed to keep the league whole. Denver is a very nice sized market.

I wrote this in another thread, but to get an ACC team would be cost prohibitive for the school. Someone would have to do the math but it would take many years just to make upThe difference for the $50 million buyout to lead the ACC. Then you would have the buy in to the Big Ten.
The ACC network will continue to mature and bring in more dollars plus their other media rights. IfNotre Dame goes to the ACC in this round of expansion/contraction, the value of the ACC goes up and their TV partners will renegotiate their deals early.
As long as a school brings in more than they would take it is incrementally + for existing BIG schools. The hurdle keeps increasing as more schools join. This would have to be a long term decision so long term, a high probability the school keeps bringing in more than they would take.

The 4 Super Conferences that will be the new norm will be B1G, Pac-12, ACC and SEC. It will be hard getting school from the ACC or Pac-12. I would say Kansas and Okie State or Iowa State

The 4 Super Conferences that will be the new norm will be B1G, Pac-12, ACC and SEC. It will be hard getting school from the ACC or Pac-12. I would say Kansas and Okie State or Iowa State
I tend to agree. Although the more I think about it and look at it from a financial standpoint, the more I think the Big Ten could just stand pat at 14 and not add anyone.

As I wrote in another thread, there is a limited number of true P5 teams, if that number is 64 or 65 then maybe you get to four 16 team leagues. I think if the Big 12 goes away you will probably see some schools like a Houston, BYU, Boise St, UCF or Cincinnati that will make a jump and other schools like Vandy, Wake Forest, TCU or Utah could fall out.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
west:
Nebraska
ku (nice road trip)
okie state (connection to texas)(could be replaced with tcu or central florida)
baylor (texas recruiting, without ut) good Christian values, except for some reason became the texas rape capital :/
ucla (cheerleaders , so cal recruiting)(could be replaced with oregon, or cal...cal would be less likely to beat us)

midwest:
wisconsin
minnesota
iowa
northwestern
michstate

mideast:
indiana
illinois
purdue
rutgers
maryland

east:
ohio state
mich
west virginia
penn state
nd

Last edited:
west:
Nebraska
ku (nice road trip)
okie state (connection to texas)(could be replaced with tcu)
baylor (texas recruiting, without ut)
ucla (cheerleaders , so cal recruiting)(could be replaced with oregon)

midwest:
wisconsin
minnesota
iowa
northwestern
michstate

mideast:
indiana
illinois
purdue
rutgers
maryland

east:
ohio state
mich
west virginia
penn state
nd
Osu UM pay and nd in same group? Thanks no.
Go Blue!

Osu UM pay and nd in same group? Thanks no.
Go Blue!
lol, I know osu and mich like to play each other and want nd in the conference.....
if you look at it them teams are equally matched in them divisions..
except NU would more than likely dominate the west...but we would be rested up for conference and national playoffs :)

I'm trying to figure out how to include central florida in the west division, so: so.cal, texas and florida recruiting would be covered....

we could each have 1 perminate yearly rival crossover game, like mich vs mich state....or Nebraska vs rutgers
rutgers has history and is next to alot of ny people.....so maybe we could recruit ny people and show them how to play football..there's millions in ny, there has to be some that could play football.

and with ucla we would have some east coast / west coast action going on

Last edited:
USCw, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Colorado.

The ACC has a GOR going to 2035. Lot's of people seem to have no clue what that means. It means they are not an option.

Kansas and a big northern ACC school would be the dream (Virginia or UNC)

Obviously notre dame wouldn't be bad either but f*** them

Reactions: Bugeater
Colorado will be plenty happy with a bigger check coming in and still have access/exposure with the state of California through a pod.

USCw, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Colorado.

The ACC has a GOR going to 2035. Lot's of people seem to have no clue what that means. It means they are not an option.

Add Stanford and the Arizona schools as well, they become the Big Ten West. Add KU to our current division for the Big Ten Central division. Add Virginia or UNC to the Big Ten East. Three divisions of 8 teams in the Big Ten.

Buck the NCAA and establish a new 16-team playoff with the SEC and ACC. Each division winner gets an automatic bid.

Last edited:
There are 65 P5 schools including ND. Four 16 team super leagues equals 64. One school must exit. The focus on 16 teams is money driven, as even a little rain will fall on the less competitive teams in the league. The downside is the larger number dilutes the year to year competition between teams in the league and increases expenses and time away from school for all of the different sports.
And if this comes to pass, for sure the Big XII is the conference that gets cannibalized. I'm meh on the B1G, but it looks like TO, plus the officials at CU, Mizzou and TAMU made wise choices.
I prefer a 12 team conference for football.

I know Iowa will fight like HELL to keep Iowa State from joining the Big Ten.
You can cross ISU off that list.

Reactions: headcard
Hasn’t been mentioned but geographically and good for basketball would be Kentucky. They aren’t competitive in the sec in football. Good volleyball program.

Reactions: bluenrg
Adding Notre Dame would be a bigger splash than Texas and OU going to the SEC. Since I highly doubt ND is leaving the ACC I could see A&M, Arkansas, Iowa State, Missouri, Pitt all being legitimate additions to the B1G.

Just drop Iowa and replace with anyone.
Yea, I bet that you are tired of getting your asses kicked by the Hawkeyes. I bet that there are some Iowa State fans that would love to be in the B1G, just to get a chance to beat down Nebraska every year. Quite a change from before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT