ADVERTISEMENT

If Sark dont workout at Texas

Texas will be able to hire about whoever they want whenever they need to. Most people may not like the pettiness Texas showed here but that is a far cry from somebody turning down a lottery ticket...which is what the Texas job is. Money, badass recruiting base, #1 school in the state, very easy conference to compete for titles in from day one....they will be fine. Mike Stoops will not factor into the next guys decision on any level.

Last edited:
Texas will be able to hire about whoever they want whenever they need to. Most people may not like the pettiness Texas showed here but that is a far cry from somebody turning down a lottery ticket...which is what the Texas job is. Money, badass recruiting base, #1 school in the state, very easy conference to compete for titles in from day one....they will be fine. Mike Stoops will not factor into the next guys decision on any level.

I agree that Stoops being there or not, likely won't have much of an effect on if Sark succeeds or fails there. But the fact that there continues to be too many fingers in the pie that is the Texas Football program will be a factor in whether he succeeds or fails there.

Texas has the potential to be a lottery job, but it has been throughout history a massive underachiever program.

I agree that Stoops being there or not, likely won't have much of an effect on if Sark succeeds or fails there. But the fact that there continues to be too many fingers in the pie that is the Texas Football program will be a factor in whether he succeeds or fails there.

Texas has the potential to be a lottery job, but it has been throughout history a massive underachiever program.

Coaches know what they're getting into when they take the call from them, and they pick up the phone anyway for all the reasons I mentioned prior.....and have they ever not gotten their first choice or been turned down before? I honestly don't know the answer, but my recent memory suggests when they offer the job, it's always accepted.

I knew a kid who played for Stoops at Arizona. From what he told me about Stoops and his behavior, I would not even want him on my staff. He is from the Bo Pelini school of personal behavior. That doesn't excuse the communication issue at Texas so this did get to be such a mess of offer and remove.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
I knew a kid who played for Stoops at Arizona. From what he told me about Stoops and his behavior, I would not even want him on my staff. He is from the Bo Pelini school of personal behavior. That doesn't excuse the communication issue at Texas so this did get to be such a mess of offer and remove.
I’d say more like Carl than BO but yeah I laugh when people would say that we should hire him.

Reactions: gw2kpro
Texas is going to have a hard time getting a good coach again. Texas boosters blocked Sark from hiring Stoops as his LB's coach.
Texas will never have a hard time getting a good coach. The university and its alumni have deep pockets, the school is based in a highly desirable city and in one the premiere recruiting hotbeds. That doesn't necessarily translate to success on the field.

I don't think they hired a good coach this time, so I guess I disagree with the entire premise of the OP. I'd be interested to know whether Sark asked "will I have 100% carte blanche to hire the staff that I choose?" I find it hard to believe that isn't one of the 10 standard questions that gets asked by every potential head coach, and I also find it hard to believe that Texas would tell anyone an unqualified "yes". So my feeling is that Sark got out over his skis here a little. Regardless, if hiring a "good coach" means being able to pay the latest and greatest hot name millions and millions then I doubt they'll ever have an issue.

He's a raging lunatic is what he is.

Reactions: ATX Husker
Exactly!

Sark would be wise to quietly move on from this and not let it take on a life of its own. It's probably a good move for the team to not associate itself with a lunatic and the board was right to stand up. Plenty of other guys out there that can coach linebackers. You don't need the drama. Now did they give Sark parameters going in, as in don't embarrass us? Would Stoops be a guy that Saban would want on his staff? Probably not.

I don't think they hired a good coach this time, so I guess I disagree with the entire premise of the OP. I'd be interested to know whether Sark asked "will I have 100% carte blanche to hire the staff that I choose?" I find it hard to believe that isn't one of the 10 standard questions that gets asked by every potential head coach, and I also find it hard to believe that Texas would tell anyone an unqualified "yes". So my feeling is that Sark got out over his skis here a little. Regardless, if hiring a "good coach" means being able to pay the latest and greatest hot name millions and millions then I doubt they'll ever have an issue.

Just guessing but he was LIKELY told he could hire whomever he wanted. He LIKELY even told his Ad who he was considering. It could of run afoul when the word got out and the booster (read money) people heard this and then put their collective feet down.

In Nebraska everyone would just be on the boards complaining to high heaven while there they have purse strings attached and lots of them and that is too much to overcome. Again, just a guess.

Yep.

There is this weird idea that "who would ever take that job" is real, it is not.

You are literally signing a winning lotto ticket. You think Tom Herman is mad that he is getting 25 million dollars to not work?

These coaches want that lotto ticket and then the real key is to get that second contract. Getting fired is not something they worry about because they are set for life.

No coach is sitting around going "No way I would take that Texas job, not with those boosters" when the reality of the situation is that at the very worst they would put up with it for one season, get canned, and be loaded.

ADVERTISEMENT