ADVERTISEMENT

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

To me that was the most important line from the presser. He was clearly saying Nebraska lost its way when it went away from the formula that worked. Solid defense and an offense centered on a dual threat QB, which he said is impossible to stop.
Translation: I think Nebraska should return to its roots

He also spoke of our fractured and fragile fan base and an increase in apathy. He wants to hire a coach that will unite the fans and ignite excitement.
Translation: I am not going to hire a head scratcher. I am going to hire someone this fan base will really rally around.

He said he liked the sandwiches in Philly in response to the question about meeting Frost there.

Add it up. Scott Frost is our next coach
What do you mean? You can’t run that kind of offense anymore. Defenses are too fast nowadays. And then with these spread type offenses everybody is running, those old Blackshirt defenses couldn’t keep up. Ok I’m being facetious here folks.

A lot of us have been saying we need to get back to our roots for years. Now our AD is saying it. But saying it and doing it are two different things. Scott Frost is the obvious choice to bring back the Big Red Machine. And YES, it will still be successful if modeled after Ozzy, McBride and Co. (with a few tweaks here and there, of course). Come on home Scott. Let’s get this thing reloaded. GBR.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Tom Osborne's roots were WCO with I formation fullback and RB runs. I'm not exactly sure when he added the option but Ferragamo and Humm virtually refused to run it. Tagge was a beast and could just truck a linebacker. Slow but effective.....:eek:

No way were his roots WCO, that offense didn't even come around until Walsh made up some system to aid a QB with a bum shoulder who couldn't throw the deep ball as effectively.

The term WCO is really a non-specific passing offense where the QB has multiple options.

The term was used to describe the old Coryell offenses (offenses that threw the ball more than they ran it) but once the 80's showed up and Walsh's system became popular someone called it the WCO and it stuck to that system. WCO term pre 80's means something quite a bit different than post 80's.

To me that was the most important line from the presser. He was clearly saying Nebraska lost its way when it went away from the formula that worked. Solid defense and an offense centered on a dual threat QB, which he said is impossible to stop.
Translation: I think Nebraska should return to its roots

He also spoke of our fractured and fragile fan base and an increase in apathy. He wants to hire a coach that will unite the fans and ignite excitement.
Translation: I am not going to hire a head scratcher. I am going to hire someone this fan base will really rally around.

He said he liked the sandwiches in Philly in response to the question about meeting Frost there.

Add it up. Scott Frost is our next coach

Agree and looks that way. Ready to eat some crow when Scott turns Florida down.

When he described the ideal offense, it was almost identical to UCF's current offense ( even mentioned option ball). Like i said, Moos doesn't come across as dumb, id bet a decent amount Frost is N. If not, well it's down to fuente, cambell, mullen, leach, possibly sumlin.

I think it's Frost now, but Norvell is a good candidate too, IMO

We have all had to eat crow on here at one time or another. And if Frost ends up NOT coming here, there are going to be tons of us eating crow.

At this point, I don't want to see any Husker fans eating that crow. Frost is the best option for Nebraska. Too much tradition, fan support, and uniting of the fringe elements (BoBots, RileBots, Solich Lovers, Cally Haters, etc).

I personally just thought he would take the UF job, because, well, that's what I would have done.

From a fan's perspective, Frost at Nebraska is a great outcome, like it should have happened 3 years ago, let it happen now forever.

Amen

We have all had to eat crow on here at one time or another. And if Frost ends up NOT coming here, there are going to be tons of us eating crow.

I wonder if one of these would go well with crow? :D

sweet-heat.png

Sweet-Baby-Rays.png

Humm, Ferragamo and Van Brownson followed Tagge and it was almost comical to watch them run option. They knew before the ball was snapped that they were going to pitch it.Winking

Actually Brownson was a Sophmore with Tagge and Devaney started him before over Tagged to start the 1969 season against USC...Tagge eventually over took Van Brownson.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
I know, isn't it funny that during our most unstable period as a football program, our record is better than Iowa during your best years?

Maybe you should go back and check the final rankings over the past 15 years.

Iowa has 4 Top 10 finishes. Nebraska has how many?

Maybe Nebraska should follow the Iowa model of stability at the coaching spot. Since Ferentz has been at Iowa Nebraska is about to have their 5th different coach. One program has 4 Top 10 finishes in that time--the other might have maybe one. One has a coach named B1G Coach of the Year 4 times in that time, the other has none. One has begun a domination of the other, not just in terms of W & L, but in terms of the scoreboard (3 straight ass kickings).

Actually this isn't about punching your theories in the face as every stat I've mentioned is a fact, not a theory. Step back from your high horse, put your ego aside, and accept what's happened and focus on what must be done to improve the program. I'm simply suggesting a "lack of stability" in the UN program is the root problem. I get it feels like salt in the wounds to have to look west at a state school like Iowa in a state only 1/3 larger than yours that also has to compete against another Power 5 in-state school (which you don't), and see what they've done consistently over the past 15 years versus what Nebraska has. Sometimes you need to eat some humble pie and learn instead of talking like the 98 pound weakling who hides behind the bushes and wants to talk smack that he can't back up. Unfortunately for you over the past 15 years you can't argue the facts.

Last edited:
Maybe you should go back and check the final rankings over the past 15 years.

Iowa has 4 Top 10 finishes. Nebraska has how many?

Maybe Nebraska should follow the Iowa model of stability at the coaching spot. Since Ferentz has been at Iowa Nebraska is about to have their 5th different coach. One program has 4 Top 10 finishes in that time--the other might have maybe one. One has a coach named B1G Coach of the Year 4 times in that time, the other has none. One has begun a domination of the other, not just in terms of W & L, but in terms of the scoreboard (3 straight ass kickings).

Actually this isn't about punching your theories in the face as every stat I've mentioned is a fact, not a theory. Step back from your high horse, put your ego aside, and accept what's happened and focus on what must be done to improve the program. I'm simply suggesting a "lack of stability" in the UN program is the root problem. I get it feels like salt in the wounds to have to look west at a state school like Iowa in a state only 1/3 larger than yours that also has to compete against another Power 5 in-state school (which you don't), and see what they've done consistently over the past 15 years versus what Nebraska has. Sometimes you need to eat some humble pie and learn instead of talking like the 98 pound weakling who hides behind the bushes and wants to talk smack that he can't back up. Unfortunately for you over the past 15 years you can't argue the facts.

Ah yes, over the past 15 years. And why are we choosing to start with 2003 as a starting point?? Because your program sucked before that? The fact is...Iowa has been playing college football for what, maybe 120 years, and your program has been mired in mediocrity the vast majority of that time. In possibly our worst period, we still have a better record than Iowa.

Yes, you can say we made some poor hires, but the idiot that made the AD hires that resulted in Callahan and Riley, Harvey Perlman, is no longer here, thank goodness. Now we can move on and improve.

The thing many Iowa fans fail to understand is that we have made some exceptional hires in our past, and those hires that have given us the 4th most wins in the history of college football, 5 national titles, multiple All Americans, and endless tradition...will be what will help us get back to being a strong program again very quickly with the right hire.

Looking forward to future games..

When Moos was asked what style of football he prefers he said "winning football". Which means he is open to a variety of approaches so long as they are successful. But then he went on to be more specific.

He was at Washington State. A bottom feeder program in the shadow of Washington. His coaching choice options were limited. So he searched out a coach who was a winner but who was unemployed. Smart move. Leach was the best hire available to him so he went with it.

Art Briles is a winner and available.

ADVERTISEMENT