ADVERTISEMENT

If I'm Mike Riley, I'm sending last night's film to the top 5 HS and JUCO DEs in the country...

Cornicator

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Feb 27, 2009
Meadville
.. And then I'm on a jet to have quiche with all of them tomorrow. Michigan State attempted 38 passes last night. On all 38 passes, the Spartans committed 3 or 4 blockers to the interior of the Husker defensive line. McMullen was removed on most passing downs or moved inside. Maliek was used in a bandit role a few times with Maurice, Vince, and McMulen inside. Freedom is still only about 75% and not really effective off the edge. The vast majority of passing downs saw Dzuirs and Gangwish in one on one situations vs the Spartan offensive tackles. Those 2 only accumulated one hurry. Dzuris never even sniffed Cook.

Maliek may not be here next season. But even if he turns pro, the interior Dline is still going to command extensive attention from opponents. If you're a defensive end who wants personal glory, you should come to Nebraska. You're going to have ample opportunity to rack up monster numbers.

If Maliek goes, this is my ideal rotation: Vince, McMullen, Maurice, and hopefully another year for Kevin Williams at Dtackle. McMullen is a massive human being and plays the run well. I like him at DT or even at Base End in short yardage, early down and distance or goal line situations. At DE, Freedom really needs to be the Strongside guy. And hopefully with another year of development and some health, he can secure that role. I hope Daishon can come in and play the backup to Freedom. I know people are excited about Alex Davis, but the Weak side is where Nebraska needs an instant difference maker out of the JUCO route. If Alex can be given a part time role behind a more seasoned playmaker, the defense will be better off.

This defense is 2 dominant edge rushers and 2 dominant safeties away from being. Pretty damn good. Selling the Defensive Ends should be the easiest sales job ever. BTW.. I like Dzuris and think his mustache is beautiful. But he should be a special teams contributor at best. A guy like Gangwish should be a rotation player. He's a high effort and motor guy. Those players are valuable when they are rested and can come in and stress out a tired offensive linemen. But guys like Gangwish are exposed themselves when they are asked to play every down.

Nebraska really has a great opportunity to sell some instant PT here. A lot of bad luck has caused Nebraska issues this year. They've lost close games for a few reasons here and there. We've also debated the talent issue ad nauseam. Some of its warranted. Some of its an overreaction. But just imagine how different things would be if Randy Gregory and Avery Moss were out on the Edge. Hell Cam Meredith or Barry Turner would make a difference. Additional pressure off the edge will change the way this team defends and force teams to free up the dtackles. But most importantly, it will reduce the insane pressure on the Secondary.

Let's go share some film and eat some quiche.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.