ADVERTISEMENT

If I would have said at 10:30 am 9/18/2021 that

….Nebraska would have held OU to 23 points, that they missed 2 FG and an extra point and only lost by 7.

I would have had replies like lay off the booze so early.
I may have been a little more forgiving if we hadn't lost to a pathetic Illinois team with a backup QB who lost to UTSA the following week. I'm done with all the lip service. Just win the games you should win. Maybe play smart and beat an Oklahoma once in awhile. But I guess that's too much to ask for.

The question is which is the real Nebraska team. What we saw against Illinois? Or what we saw against OU? But we did lose both games, and that has been the real Nebraska for quite some time. I hope this game will prove to be a turning point, but I am going to wait to see how the season turns out before I get giddy. Bowl game or bust.

The question is which is the real Nebraska team. What we saw against Illinois? Or what we saw against OU? But we did lose both games, and that has been the real Nebraska for quite some time. I hope this game will prove to be a turning point, but I am going to wait to see how the season turns out before I get giddy. Bowl game or bust.
This doesn’t appear to be a ‘giddy’ thread.

I was pleasantly surprised but still a little disappointed. Clean some things up and we could win those games..
Agree. No one is saying it was a perfect performance. The game was closer than I thought it would be and the team made plays I didn’t think they would. Same attitude and effort the rest of the season and there are 4 more wins out there.

I think both can be true and exist at the same time, but this game was as far as they’ll most likely get with this current staff. If Frost stays, and he probably will, he’s going to have to make changes on the offensive staff and in special teams. There’s no way he can’t and keep his job.

He’s already cleaned up his act it appears, since Trev came / the Illinois game, so that’s one step forward.

Reactions: BleedRed78
….Nebraska would have held OU to 23 points, that they missed 2 FG and an extra point and only lost by 7.

At what point does it stop being about results and start being about how the team performs? No one would have thought we could line up and go at it with Oklahoma for 4 quarters. I get it. We were better physically than anyone thought we would be. But when it comes to what we can control, Nebraska continues to make the same mistakes. We can control that. False starts, missed field goals, unnecessary roughness, and mental mistakes are us problems. When we lose due to “us problems” people get upset because it’s the same story we’ve seen for years. I can handle losing. I can’t handle losing because we beat ourselves. We beat ourselves today, and that is independent of the opponent.

Reactions: HuskersRise
Would’ve felt decent, then watched the game and experienced many of the same frustrations of games and years past. That blocked and returned PAT feeling was brutal, and unfortunately very familiar. The concept of satisfaction of the close loss is legit, but fleeting.

At what point does it stop being about results and start being about how the team performs? No one would have thought we could line up and go at it with Oklahoma for 4 quarters. I get it. We were better physically than anyone thought we would be. But when it comes to what we can control, Nebraska continues to make the same mistakes. We can control that. False starts, missed field goals, unnecessary roughness, and mental mistakes are us problems. When we lose due to “us problems” people get upset because it’s the same story we’ve seen for years. I can handle losing. I can’t handle losing because we beat ourselves. We beat ourselves today, and that is independent of the opponent.
I guess I have accepted that the 2021 version of Nebraska isn’t a top 15 team so when a game against the current #3 team in the country, on the road ends with Nebraska losing by 7, I am going to take it.

If that same thing happens next week in East Lansing, I won’t be very accepting because I didn’t think we would beat OU but I do think we can beat Michigan St.

As of tonight, this team has 1 less win than I thought they would. If we beat Mich St, northwestern and Purdue, we only have to steal one game to replace the bad loss to Illinois. Be that Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin or Ohio St. Getting to a bowl game is still possible.

I may have been a little more forgiving if we hadn't lost to a pathetic Illinois team with a backup QB who lost to UTSA the following week. I'm done with all the lip service. Just win the games you should win. Maybe play smart and beat an Oklahoma once in awhile. But I guess that's too much to ask for.
This. From what we’ve seen from this staff there’s no reason to believe this will carry over to next week. Just when expectations begin to grow we fall flat.

Beat Sparty and I’ll be singing a different tune.

Look out Southern Texas!
Nebraska transplant Mother to her child (who has only lived Husker misery):
“Is that Tuco person on ‘the kool-aid’?”

Look out Southern Texas!
Nebraska transplant Mother to her child (who has only lived Husker misery):
“Is that Tuco person on ‘the kool-aid’?”
Not really. I just thought the team played much better today. They were in a position to win the game against a current top 5 team. They didn’t play scared, weren’t intimidated by the environment and outside of the 2020 big ten kicker of the year, performed at a respectable level.

Not really. I just thought the team played much better today. They were in a position to win the game against a current top 5 team. They didn’t play scared, weren’t intimidated by the environment and outside of the 2020 big ten kicker of the year, performed at a respectable level.
I agree with this. Still disappointed by the volume of mistakes, but they outperformed expectations at the end of the day.

I didn't hear any of the game as I was in the mountains. Later when we were where we had a wireless signal I was surprised at the final score. I have to admit it. I look forward to going through the replay when I get home. I did see a few replays and the blocked kick was a killer. Understatement

I guess I have accepted that the 2021 version of Nebraska isn’t a top 15 team so when a game against the current #3 team in the country, on the road ends with Nebraska losing by 7, I am going to take it.

If that same thing happens next week in East Lansing, I won’t be very accepting because I didn’t think we would beat OU but I do think we can beat Michigan St.

As of tonight, this team has 1 less win than I thought they would. If we beat Mich St, northwestern and Purdue, we only have to steal one game to replace the bad loss to Illinois. Be that Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin or Ohio St. Getting to a bowl game is still possible.
That assumes that just getting to a bowl game was the end goal for this season, which it shouldn't be. This is likely one of the most talented teams Frost will ever have. He needs to produce, and that means more than just barely squeaking into a bowl game.

And at 10:30 you would have said I’ll take it because at 10:30 this morning everyone was expecting at 25 point or more blow out loss.
Yep. I was definitely expecting a blowout loss and was pleasantly surprised we made a game of it. Still …. I know I should be happy about that and I know it is a sign of hope or something, but all it left me with was the same feeling of missed opportunity that I have felt about NU football for 20 years now. Kind of like when Pelini and Callahan almost won the Big 12 in three title games we lost. Somehow we just always seem to come up short. So I am not ready to jump on the moral victory “we are making progress” bandwagon just yet. We should have beaten OU yesterday and taken a huge leap forward for our program. And yet we didn’t and for all the same reasons we have lost under Frost for three years. Yesterday’s game gave me some hope. But mostly it left me feeling empty and disappointed. Another missed opportunity. Rinse, cycle, repeat.

@Tuco Salamanca I am right there with you. I was guessing 54-17 and was so wrong and am glad I was!

Joel Klatt had some very good words to say about Nebraska and felt the team is very close. I am going to be more positive here on out. Also, the OL is struggling but I see progress. It's the special teams that to me have made no progress. We'll see as the season goes.

Finally, I believe that the blocked extra point was not kicked by Culp so looks like Scott made a move to try to improve.

I didn't hear any of the game as I was in the mountains. Later when we were where we had a wireless signal I was surprised at the final score. I have to admit it. I look forward to going through the replay when I get home. I did see a few replays and the blocked kick was a killer. Understatement
Do yourself a favor, fast forward through the special teams stuff. You are going to give yourself a migraine if you watch it. Special teams were horrid yesterday.

If we hadnt laid an egg at Illinois, we'd be talking a shot at the big 10 championship right now
That game is still the reason why I think we’ll lay more eggs..

Special Teams will be the reason why SF hasn’t been successful in Lincoln..

That assumes that just getting to a bowl game was the end goal for this season, which it shouldn't be. This is likely one of the most talented teams Frost will ever have. He needs to produce, and that means more than just barely squeaking into a bowl game.
Your opinion.

If this team gets to a bowl, that is improvement. Considering 90% of the team returns it bodes well for next year.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Agree. No one is saying it was a perfect performance. The game was closer than I thought it would be and the team made plays I didn’t think they would. Same attitude and effort the rest of the season and there are 4 more wins out there.

Yep. Hopefully Frost has learned that he needs to slow the game down and rely on his defense to win games . He needs to swallow his pride and completely change his offensive philosophy for the rest of the year and let the strength of this team lead the way.

Reactions: timnsun
I have to say, I think the showing yesterday may have lowered the heat on Frost’s seat just a touch.

the reality is the Defense played well enough to win. Offense actually showed some life. Special Teams killed is. AM was what we needed him to be. He made good decisions. No turnovers, except that late INT, which actually was beneficial to us. Made some good reads and good throws. The offensive game plan was solid. Frost went to the run and stuck with it. When he could have panicked he stuck with the run. And he FINALLY deferred on a coin toss.

The OL made a ton of mistakes and a few of the penalties, especially the two personal fouls on Jergens, are unacceptable. But in the end they were physical, opened up some running lanes and did give AM some time. At times they looked good and at times they looked like the disaster were used to.

I guess the point is I’ve seen some growth the last couple of weeks. And if the team can play at that same level for the rest of the season, and continue to work on eliminating mistakes, maybe we’ll have a shot at 6 wins. Maybe we need to realize that we brought in an inexperienced head coach and expected him to work miracles, while in reality he needs OJT. We may not like that, but that’s what we got and maybe instead of getting back on the coaching carousel we need to be patient another year or two.

Maybe it’s wishful thinking, but I expected a blowout and saw a very competitive/entertaining game where there were enough positives to give me hope that maybe Frost is beginning to figure it out.

Call me crazy, but I think MSU may be better than OU right now. They are playing good football right now and that is going to be a tough game next week. We’re going to need to play like we did against OU and maybe a little better.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Call me crazy, but I think MSU may be better than OU right now. They are playing good football right now and that is going to be a tough game next week. We’re going to need to play like we did against OU and maybe a little better.
MSU does look pretty damned good. They and Michigan BOTH have found QBs.

@Tuco Salamanca I am right there with you. I was guessing 54-17 and was so wrong and am glad I was!

Joel Klatt had some very good words to say about Nebraska and felt the team is very close. I am going to be more positive here on out. Also, the OL is struggling but I see progress. It's the special teams that to me have made no progress. We'll see as the season goes.

Finally, I believe that the blocked extra point was not kicked by Culp so looks like Scott made a move to try to improve.
And that blocked extra point was all about one guy on our O line not being ready for the snap so he got knocked on his ass allowing the kick to be blocked.

They don’t have the offensive firepower that OU does. Their pass defense is susceptible, they are basically a big ten west team.
Their wins are over a not good northwestern team, an FCS team and an overrated Miami team.

now they may very well kick our ass. But like I said before, a Big Ten west team, shut down the run and make their QB beat you. He is a game manager and thrives on play action.

They don’t have the offensive firepower that OU does. Their pass defense is susceptible, they are basically a big ten west team.
Their wins are over a not good northwestern team, an FCS team and an overrated Miami team.

now they may very well kick our ass. But like I said before, a Big Ten west team, shut down the run and make their QB beat you. He is a game manager and thrives on play action.
Northwestern lost to Duke over the weekend. Yikes.

Reactions: leodisflowers
This team loses games it should win. Winners find a way to win. Losers can’t help but to lose. And it all starts with the HC

Reactions: bigboxes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT