ADVERTISEMENT

(If bored) How would you feel if you were Mike...

maplesyrup95

Junior
Nov 26, 2014
Riley? Leaving Oregon State for Lincoln? He said that he surprised himself leaving Corvallis. Here is a decent ESPN article about Mike and the overall coaching change. I know Dirk wrote awesome articles about what MR was leaving behind, but also that he was excited to try something big one last time. For his family's sake and hospitality's sake, let's hope Mike Riley gets accumulated better day by day this summer and heading into fall. But overall, how would you feel? Have you felt like this before?

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/86051/riley-looks-back-at-oregon-state-forward-with-huskers

From my perspective, I bet it was incredibly tough. And quite honestly, I bet he has thoughts every day on whether or not he made the right decision.

Not sure if I'm reading your question correctly as far as how someone would feel. Anyone that has transferred with a job and involved uprooting the family has felt this way. Not really earth shattering. It takes time to get your family routine going while trying to adjust to a new job at the same time....you get pulled in more directions than you would had you stayed. But its all new and exciting so it takes the edge off. Yes, I have done it a couple times. The last time was actually coming back home to Omaha so it was even more special.

He upgraded in jobs and salary and because of that, I would think he is still walking on cloud nine. Be different if you were say...head coach of a college blue blood, got canned, and ended up taking a job at say...somewhere in a division 2 conference. That might change things a bit, but I would think in this situation, he's pretty stoked, still.

Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:

He upgraded in jobs and salary and because of that, I would think he is still walking on cloud nine. Be different if you were say...head coach of a college blue blood, got canned, and ended up taking a job at say...somewhere in a division 2 conference. That might change things a bit, but I would think in this situation, he's pretty stoked, still..
pelini-nyo.jpg

This post was edited on 4/16 2:38 PM by hamneggs53

He's moving from one job and location to a another. A lot of people do that, some repeat it multiple times in their lives.

I've moved three times. I hoped for a better quality of life with each move, and that offset any angst.

And now for the candor. He needs to consider Lincoln his PERMANENT home, get a house and get his wife here. He's not a kid anymore, so just cut the umbilical cord with Corvallis.

Originally posted by 500mileRadius:
One wonders whether he was being pressured to make staff changes and instead he chose the life raft for himself and his buddies.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
I don't wonder that at all, and I bet most others don't either. What I know, is that this is yet another cheap shot your tossing at our new coach.

I did see the photos of the gun they held to his head when he accepted the job offer. It looked pretty scary.

It wasn't all sunshine and puppy dogs in Corvallis by the time he left. The honeymoon was starting to wind down.

I think it's likely 2 fold:

1. On one hand, I believe he truly felt he wanted the challenge of coaching at a big time program again. He had turned down those chances previously.

2. I also think he probably misses home and his personal routine. Anyone would miss that. Corvallis was where he lived for nearly 40 years of his life.

Originally posted by Cornicator:
I think it's likely 2 fold:

1. On one hand, I believe he truly felt he wanted the challenge of coaching at a big time program again. He had turned down those chances previously.

2. I also think he probably misses home and his personal routine. Anyone would miss that. Corvallis was where he lived for nearly 40 years of his life.
He's got to be thinking, "Good Heavens. What did I get myself in to. These people are nuts." I can't imagine taking on the challenge he did at this stage of his career but we see guys in the NFL do it time and time again. IMO, his personality and ability to hire good staff and delegate make it possible. IMO, we are damned lucky to have him. It obviously won't be a 30 year run for him, but who is to say that Langsdorf won't be here for 30 years. I'm lovin me some Mike Riley. It looks like a great hire thus far and I hope the on field results are as enjoyable to watch as the last few months have been.

Originally posted by 500mileRadius:
One wonders whether he was being pressured to make staff changes and instead he chose the life raft for himself and his buddies.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I do not wonder about life rafts.

Bad idea to bring up buddies while trying to defend Bo.

Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:

He upgraded in jobs and salary and because of that, I would think he is still walking on cloud nine. Be different if you were say...head coach of a college blue blood, got canned, and ended up taking a job at say...somewhere in a division 2 conference. That might change things a bit, but I would think in this situation, he's pretty stoked, still.
I see what you did there
laugh.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT