ADVERTISEMENT

If any Iowa fans give you crap about Frost....

Kirk has had five 10-win seasons in his first 20 years at UI. Three of those were in his first five seasons. He's had two 10-win seasons in the past 15. It has created a tough situation for fans, where they're happy he's generally successful, but they wonder why he can't replicate 2001-2003 more often. He's also had just two losing seasons in the past 18.

Solid, but unspectacular.

Not sure how I'd feel about that if Frost did the same.

Always love this reply! As if my focus on Indiana has anything to do with a win or loss. If my thought determines the outcome of the game, we're doomed.

I just think it's funny having a highly abysmal season and then pointing at a neighbor, who has had more success for awhile now, to try and prove the desire to win championships. I'm sure that fan base would like that to be the end result as well , but one may be more of a realist than the other - as well as being closer to that goal without constantly forcing the issue.

Reactions: JRich52806
Actually, he was 1-10 and 3-9 I believe, then went 7-5 and 11-2. I do think Frost is the right guy for you guys and you beat IU this weekend!
Thanks for the kind words - from a Hawk fan especially. We stink this yr, too many problems to fix, too many injuries to our best offensive weapons, coaches with no answers - we will be REAL FORTUNATE to win Sat. Sad to say, this could be another Minnesota.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Here is a thought experiment:

Ferentz is currently 5th all-time in total wins among B10 coaches, 5 wins behind Joe Paterno (162). He has157 wins (so far) at Iowa, his 21st season. This includes all wins conference and non-conference while coaching at a B10 school, including bowl games.

Assuming Ferentz reaches 160 wins to finish his 21st year as a B10 coach (3 more wins this season) and assuming Frost coaches 21years at Nebraska (8 wins so far in his 2nd year), would Husker fans expect Frost to pass Ferentz in total wins as a B10 coach after 21 years?

Another way to look at this is to assume Nebraska finishes 7-5 this year … say 6-6 + a bowl win. Frost would then have 11 wins in two seasons - he would need 150 wins over the next 19 years at Nebraska to pass Ferentz for wins over 21 B10 seasons. That is an average 7.89 wins per season

With the current state of the program and the ongoing rebuild in mind, would fans be happy with Frost averaging 8 wins per year with Frost as HC for the next 19 years?

Reactions: fly-by-night

Ferentz is currently 5th all-time in total wins among B10 coaches, 5 wins behind Joe Paterno (162). He has157 wins (so far) at Iowa, his 21st season. This includes all wins conference and non-conference while coaching at a B10 school, including bowl games.

Assuming Ferentz reaches 160 wins to finish his 21st year as a B10 coach (3 more wins this season) and assuming Frost coaches 21years at Nebraska (8 wins so far in his 2nd year), would Husker fans expect Frost to pass Ferentz in total wins as a B10 coach after 21 years?

Another way to look at this is to assume Nebraska finishes 7-5 this year … say 6-6 + a bowl win. Frost would then have 11 wins in two seasons - he would need 150 wins over the next 19 years at Nebraska to pass Ferentz for wins over 21 B10 seasons. That is an average 7.89 wins per season

With the current state of the program and the ongoing rebuild in mind, would fans be happy with Frost averaging 8 wins per year with Frost as HC for the next 19 years?
my head hurts with all that math...:)

my head hurts with all that math...:)
Yeah I had to put it down as a basis for the question. The question addresses wins over a longer period of time - an average of 8 per year - in light of the current state of the program and the current strength of the B10. Paterno, 4th on the all-time win list, averaged 8.5 wins per year at Penn State.

Kirk has had five 10-win seasons in his first 20 years at UI. Three of those were in his first six seasons. He's had two 10-win seasons in the past 11. It has created a tough situation for fans, where they're happy he's generally successful, but they wonder why he can't replicate 2001-2003 more often. He's also had just two losing seasons in the past 18.

Solid, but unspectacular.

Not sure how I'd feel about that if Frost did the same.

fify

Reactions: 9and4
Actually, depending on the cutoff date, it's two 10-win seasons in the past 10, 2009-2018. This year isn't done. He's had two 10-win seasons from 2005-2018, which is 14 seasons. Peace, Hawkeye.

Thanks for correcting the first statement, though. It is three 10-win seasons in his first six. The success was 2002-2004. My bad. I'm still learning about Iowa. Just moved here in 2017.

Happy? No. In fact that'd get him fired around the end of his first contract I would assume.

8-4 looks like a pipe dream for Husker fans.

Maybe the AD should inquire about rejoining the Big 12?

We were 3-1 against Iowa with a coach that is at Youngstown St. right now, so we know that Frost won't take long to get to that point as well. And we also know that our best teams would destroy Iowa's best, so there's that too.

Happy? No. In fact that'd get him fired around the end of his first contract I would assume.
Well that's what I wondered because an average of 8 wins per year stacks up pretty well against the winningest long term coaches in B10 history during the post WWII modern era (see list below).

It is my impression that most Nebraska fans believe Frost will be here for a long time, that its his dream job, and that he might possibly follow the Tom Osborne route and retire at Nebraska if he is successful.

B10 Conference Top 10 all-time wins*:
Woody Hayes (OSU) is #1 with 205 wins (28 seasons), an average of 7.3 wins per season.
Bo Schembechler (MI) is #3 with 194 wins (21 seasons), an average of 9.2 wins per season
Joe Paterno (PSU) is #4 with 162 wins (19 seasons), an average of 8.5 wins per season
Ferentz (active) at #5 with 157 wins (20.5 seasons), an average of 7.7 wins per season
Hayden Fry (IA) is #6 with 143 wins (20 seasons), an average of 7.2 wins per season
Llloyd Carr (MI) is #9 with 122 wins (13 seasons), an average of 9.4 wins per season
Barry Alverez (WI) is #10 with 117 wins (16 seasons), an average of 7.3 wins per season
#2 Amos Alanzo Stagg (OSU), #7 Henry Williams (MN), and #8 Robert Zuppke (IL) all coached before WWII.
*tie contests resulted before the inception of the OT rules which were implemented in 1996; the NCAA permitted a 12 game schedule starting in 2006.

Barry Alvarez might be the coach closest in comparison to Frost in the sense that both coaches inherited programs that needed a total rebuild. I believe most Wisconsin fans would consider Alvarez a successful coach there. He brought the program back to national prominence, 3 conference titles, 8-3 bowl record including 3 Rose bowl victories. And yet he averaged just 7.3 wins per season while coaching at Wisconsin.

Your assumption is that Frost would get fired near the end of his 7 year contract if he averaged 8 wins per year over that term. In his first 7 seasons at Wisconsin, Alvarez was 41-36-4.
Even if you switch the 4 tie games to victories, Alvarez then averaged only 6.4 victories per season his first 7 years. He had losing records each of his first 3 years, a breakthrough season in Year#4 with a conference championship and Rose Bowl win, 8 wins in Year#5, a losing season in Year#6, and 8 wins in Year#7.

I'm wondering if Nebraska fans would still have patience with Frost as coach if he had the same record and results as Alvarez after 7 years.

Last edited:
Well that's what I wondered because an average of 8 wins per year stacks up pretty well against the winningest long term coaches in B10 history during the post WWII modern era (see list below).

It is my impression that most Nebraska fans believe Frost will be here for a long time, that its his dream job, and that he might possibly follow the Tom Osborne route and retire at Nebraska if he is successful.

Woody Hayes (OSU) is #1 with 205 wins (28 seasons), an average of 7.3 wins per season.
Bo Schembechler (MI) is #3 with 194 wins (21 seasons), an average of 9.2 wins per season
Joe Paterno (PSU) is #4 with 162 wins (19 seasons), an average of 8.5 wins per season
Ferentz (active) at #5 with 157 wins (20.5 seasons), an average of 7.7 wins per season
Hayden Fry (IA) is #6 with 143 wins (20 seasons), an average of 7.2 wins per season
Llloyd Carr (MI) is #9 with 122 wins (13 seasons), an average of 9.4 wins per season
Barry Alverez (WI) is #10 with 117 wins (16 seasons), an average of 7.3 wins per season
#2 Amos Alanzo Stagg (OSU), #7 Henry Williams (MN), and #8 Robert Zuppke (IL) all coached before WWII.
*tie contests resulted before the inception of the OT rules which were implemented in 1996; the NCAA permitted a 12 game schedule starting in 2006.

Barry Alvarez might be the coach closest in comparison to Frost in the sense that both coaches inherited programs that needed a total rebuild. I believe most Wisconsin fans would consider Alvarez a successful coach there. He brought the program back to national prominence, 3 conference titles, 8-3 bowl record including 3 Rose bowl victories. And yet he averaged just 7.3 wins per season while coaching at Wisconsin.

Your assumption is that Frost would get fired near the end of his 7 year contract if he averaged 8 wins per year over that term. In his first 7 seasons at Wisconsin, Alvarez was 41-36-4.
Even if you switch the 4 tie games to victories, Alvarez then averaged only 6.4 victories per season his first 7 years. He had losing records each of his first 3 years, a breakthrough season in Year#4 with a conference championship and Rose Bowl win, 8 wins in Year#5, a losing season in Year#6, and 8 wins in Year#7.

I'm wondering if Nebraska fans would still have patience with Frost as coach if he had the same record and results as Alvarez after 7 years.

Osborne was 255-49-3 in 25 years which is good for 10.2 wins per year average. Osborne had 50 more wins than Woody and what was Hayes WL record in 25 years? Point is the B1G 10 coaches all suck and sucked

Last edited:

I feel like this conversation is leaning towards number of wins for some reason, and I most definitely could be wrong on that, but if so, that does not concern me.

Joe Paterno had a ton of wins, now vacant, which could be recognized as having been accumulated due to being in the game since the inception of the facemask on helmets. It's not a surprise to rack up a high number of wins over such a long period.

I am more interested in win pct. personally.

Reactions: SkerInCo
I feel like this conversation is leaning towards number of wins for some reason, and I most definitely could be wrong on that, but if so, that does not concern me.

Joe Paterno had a ton of wins, now vacant, which could be recognized as having been accumulated due to being in the game since the inception of the facemask on helmets. It's not a surprise to rack up a high number of wins over such a long period.

I am more interested in win pct. personally.

winning percentage can be misleading as well

i would much rather have cycles of 7-7-12-7-7-12 win seasons than 9-9-10-9-9-10 win seasons.

In scenario 1 you are nationally relevant every third year with 67% win percentage
In scenario 2 you are never nationally relevant but have a 72% win percentage

Reactions: Sinomatic
I just think it's funny having a highly abysmal season and then pointing at a neighbor, who has had more success for awhile now, to try and prove the desire to win championships. I'm sure that fan base would like that to be the end result as well , but one may be more of a realist than the other - as well as being closer to that goal without constantly forcing the issue.

I guess it falls under the addage, if you don't like the thread, don't read it. It's football, everyone points fingers as a fan. There's no moral high ground.

ADVERTISEMENT