ADVERTISEMENT

If a player chooses a non traditional football school over NU does it matter?

Bringing football history into the equation most wideouts would choose UCLA over Nebraska and it's not even close. UCLA is a great decision for many wanting to play football. It's not a big deal.
This is a good point. Things are and will continue to be different for wideouts under Frost than historically at Nebraska, but can’t argue against this point.

I’m very disappointed we didn’t land this kid but having said that, it’s not the end of the world. Really happy to see this staff show major class during the process. Coach held liking his tweet yesterday when he said he was going to announce. This staff was on top of it from the get go on this. You can’t win every recruiting battle and how you react to a loss is key and this staff didn’t miss a beat or chase fools gold.

UCLA is a dam good school and California has some hot girls. But there are hot girls at every college. And having gone to a college in a big city, you really miss out on college life. Going to clubs trumps frat parties. And at the time that seems wise but in hindsight, one can always go clubbing, one only has a limited time to go to college/frat parties and live a college town life.

Also, UCLA is the 4th important football team in the City. No one in LA gives a rats ass about the Bruins and that’s only going to get worse. The rose bowl looks very empty when only 56k show up to a stadium that seats 90k. And all in a conference that is easily the weakest of the P5 and lacks the media coverage most other conferences get.

Lastly, NU does not need a 6’5 WR. It’s not 2005 anymore. Size isn’t that big of a key at WR. Look at the NFL. Look at the super bowl. Neither team has a big WR in their starting lineup. Josh Reynolds is the biggest legit WR we will see in the game & he’s the 3rd option in the LaRams receiving core. TE is the spot you utilize size at and I believe we are actually pretty stacked with young talent there. I’m totally happy with 5-10 & 6 ft WR core that gets open in space. That system works. Rather have that then only big bodied WRs. Go watch the Chargers vs Pats playoff game from a few weeks ago and tell me which type of core is easier to scheme against.

Kid choosing Kelly over Frost tells me all I need to know. Bad judgement. Kelly is not what he was at Oregon. Different time, different place. Oregon & Nike made Kelly, that was evident in Philly.

Kelly is trending down
Frost is trending up.

Pac12 trending down.
B1G stagnant, but Powerful.

UCLA stagnant.
Nebraska trending up.

Then there's this:

I’m very disappointed we didn’t land this kid but having said that, it’s not the end of the world. Really happy to see this staff show major class during the process. Coach held liking his tweet yesterday when he said he was going to announce. This staff was on top of it from the get go on this. You can’t win every recruiting battle and how you react to a loss is key and this staff didn’t miss a beat or chase fools gold.

UCLA is a dam good school and California has some hot girls. But there are hot girls at every college. And having gone to a college in a big city, you really miss out on college life. Going to clubs trumps frat parties. And at the time that seems wise but in hindsight, one can always go clubbing, one only has a limited time to go to college/frat parties and live a college town life.

Also, UCLA is the 4th important football team in the City. No one in LA gives a rats ass about the Bruins and that’s only going to get worse. The rose bowl looks very empty when only 56k show up to a stadium that seats 90k. And all in a conference that is easily the weakest of the P5 and lacks the media coverage most other conferences get.

Lastly, NU does not need a 6’5 WR. It’s not 2005 anymore. Size isn’t that big of a key at WR. Look at the NFL. Look at the super bowl. Neither team has a big WR in their starting lineup. Josh Reynolds is the biggest legit WR we will see in the game & he’s the 3rd option in the LaRams receiving core. TE is the spot you utilize size at and I believe we are actually pretty stacked with young talent there. I’m totally happy with 5-10 & 6 ft WR core that gets open in space. That system works. Rather have that then only big bodied WRs. Go watch the Chargers vs Pats playoff game from a few weeks ago and tell me which type of core is easier to scheme against.

I would say the opposite of that, girls love the ease and convenience of frats houses (and that it is free for them)

I changed the title. I should have left the players name out of it. I never intended to bad mouth Njoku. As I stated I know nothing about him.

My argument was around the atmosphere a player may seek out at a UCLA vs NU, that I just don't think would lead them to success here at NU.

Reactions: LikeNebraska
Kid choosing Kelly over Frost tells me all I need to know. Bad judgement. Kelly is not what he was at Oregon. Different time, different place. Oregon & Nike made Kelly, that was evident in Philly.

Kelly is trending down
Frost is trending up.

Pac12 trending down.
B1G stagnant, but Powerful.

UCLA stagnant.
Nebraska trending up.

Then there's this:
It is possible that he like Frost more than Chip, but that wasn't a deciding factor for him.

It is possible that he like Frost more than Chip, but that wasn't a deciding factor for him.
So, better program, team trending up, conference not in dumpster fire mode, tradition, solid coaching staff weren't all part of his decision? Next, you're going to tell me a 5-star football player has aspirations of being a doctor.

Anyone who would choose Purdue over Nebraska wouldn't cut it here either I bet....
Yes....I mean no....I mean.....
Purdue-Fan.jpg

From a purely football perspective, what has UCLA done?

Please, educate us.

Nebraska is 7-6 all time vs UCLA. Three straight losses, four straight wins then some back and forth. Won the last one to break the tie.

I would say the opposite of that, girls love the ease and convenience of frats houses (and that it is free for them)

Don’t be naive, hot girls drink for free everywhere. But I don’t see how that’s the opposite of what I’m saying. Not saying girls prefer one over the other in my post. I’m saying one misses out on a college experience when you live in a big city and go to college in a big city. That’s just from personal experience and from the kids I went to school with.

You can even kind of see this in kids that go to Creighton vs UNL IMO but at a much smaller level.

Last edited:
In the grand scheme of things, what really matters is the players Nebraska gets and how those players develop, hopefully to the level that gets Nebraska into the B1G title game and beyond now and then.

Nebraska is 7-6 all time vs UCLA. Three straight losses, four straight wins then some back and forth. Won the last one to break the tie.
I guess I’m not being clear.

What have they won? Not head to head... but have they won an NC? How many conference titles do they have? What is there history? Someone else said they are the 4th most important football team in town. That’s what I’m talking about.

If he chose UCLA for the total package outside of football as well, good for him. And as another pointed out, their WR history is better than ours as well.

But that’s it. I’m not mad he went to UCLA. Maybe he wanted to see Southern California. Can’t blame him.

Don’t be naive, hot girls drink for free everywhere. But I don’t see how that’s the opposite of what I’m saying. Not saying girls prefer one over the other in my post. I’m saying one misses out on a college experience when you live in a big city and go to college in a big city. That’s just from personal experience and from the kids I went to school with.

You can even kind of see this in kids that go to Creighton vs UNL IMO but at a much smaller level.
Ahhhh, I read your post wrong.

Depends on the school. There are tons of schools in bigger cities that have great campus environments, complete with frat parties and everything.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Maybe chip doesn't make his players do mandatory weight training and other accountability. Maybe the kid chose because of that, Just like all the transfers to Oregon state those players didn't want to work hard at Nebraska

There are many factors in recruiting but I would bet UCLA is just an awesome place to go to school in general. If a recruit has the mindset 'would I love being a student here if I had a career ending injury my freshman year?' then UCLA(and USC) will win out vs a lot of contenders.

I have been to USC for a gameday and it's a pretty awesome vibe out there with the weather and that's me saying this as a Floridian which has nice winters & springs. That's why I thought UCF was done with Dillon Gabriel when he visited USC but thankfully the Milton connection saved us.

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT