ADVERTISEMENT

I will say this now before someone else does..

TruHusker

Head Coach
Sep 21, 2001
There are at least two schools of thought on first game play calling on both sides of the ball.

Go basic, some call it vanilla, whatever that is, and how would you recognize it? Don't show your future opponents too much, let them guess.

The other is show as much as you can to give the opposing teams more to prepare for and give your team an opportunity to use all the weapons whether those are plays or players.

There is probably a middle ground which is where I would guess they will go this weekend. Show some things so you can work on them, but perhaps hold back on a couple. I also expect the Huskers to establish power on both sides of the ball and build off if that.

You want to eventually use all of the O and D so the players are comfortable with it at some point in a game. Vanilla is often an excuse for a mediocre or poor performance.

Not certain if Frost and Chin know vanilla as a flavor/option! :) Thoughts?

I dont see why they dont come right out and call a reverse flea flicker wr screen double pass fumblerooski from AM to Wandale to Jurgens to start the first game with. ......it worked in practice lol

I wouldn't call myself a student of Scott Frost's coaching, but I did watch a handful of UCF games and my take away is that Frost has such a wide playbook that he doesn't need to hold much back in the first part of the year for later games. You may see some "trick" plays against much lower competition than you'd ever see from the Osborne/Solich staffs. I put trick in quotations because I don't necessarily consider them trick plays but just something out of the ordinary.

My read on the Frost offense is that it is a very modular offense and by that I mean every position has 10 or so moves that they must master. So for example a WR must know how to run the routes of a "curl", "post", "screen", "slant" etc but not necessarily an entire playbook (ie. where the guard is pulling every play) or even what the running back may be doing on any given play. This then allows Frost the flexibility to come up with seemingly endless permutations out of different formations. I believe this is why Urban said it's such a hard offense to prepare for because on any given play you literally have no clue what could be coming at you.

You play every game to win. The idea that you hold back is silly. With modern technology, do any of you really think the opposing coaches don't know every play Scott Frost has ran or called since 7th grade?

One wrinkle or trick play is not going to win a game. Solid fundamentals, good blocking and tackling, mental sharpness, few penalties, no turnovers, strong special teams, etc. will win games before a reverse double halfback pass fake will.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Saturday's game is a ridiculous mismatch. Run the basic formations and throw in a few plays from the back of the playbook, doesn't matter.

The biggest decision for Frost will be when to pull the starters. If Nebraska is ahead by 23 midway through the 3rd and [insert key offensive player here] suffers a season ending or otherwise serious injury, Frost will have to face some tough music.

I wouldn't call myself a student of Scott Frost's coaching, but I did watch a handful of UCF games and my take away is that Frost has such a wide playbook that he doesn't need to hold much back in the first part of the year for later games. You may see some "trick" plays against much lower competition than you'd ever see from the Osborne/Solich staffs. I put trick in quotations because I don't necessarily consider them trick plays but just something out of the ordinary.
As long as the 3rd-string QB doesn't audible from a run to pass in a blowout, right?

Not always a matter of choice.
Id be shocked if all of Frosts offense that he wants to run this season is already in and been worked on.

They have 25-50 plays they are dialing in on for game week. Keep in kind many of these “plays” are really just option sets for the wrs/qb/ol etc based on the defensive look so one play could actually end up looking like four different plays if that makes sense.

But Id be shocked if Frosts entire offense has been introduced at this point.

Reactions: huskerdude88
There is a chunk of the playbook that Frost did not get to last year. New system, freshman QB and all. Lack of a Duck-R type player like Wan'dale. I would think they will try to get to a little of everything that they want to be "vanilla" in terms of their offensive operations this year. And has been explained, there are derivative plays out of formations that can be run. Those will be seen less often during the season, and probably not used Saturday. However, any opposing D can view some video from Frost's last year at UCF and get a hint of things they might see.
Having a back like Mills is a real sweet contrast for an offense like Frost's. If he can produce like we hope, it's we're coming right at you one play, then we're running right by you the next.

Well I'm sure there is a game plan. Each team they face will have certain strengths and weaknesses. The game plan is usually centered around that, and then adjustments are made as you go. I would suspect whatever plays fit the game plan, or situation will be used.

There are probably personnel matchups that are considered as well.

I think this is the formula, week in and week out, regardless of opponent.

I don't think you will see any trick plays for this game, but for others it's possible.

The skers are really young, the starters will play most of the game if not all the game.

And if you are worried about what you put on film...you are doing it wrong. This is not HS where the coaches break down HUDL film for 3 hours Saturday morning while making fun of their players and bitching about having to cover a study hall first semester.

The skers are really young, the starters will play most of the game if not all the game.

And if you are worried about what you put on film...you are doing it wrong. This is not HS where the coaches break down HUDL film for 3 hours Saturday morning while making fun of their players and bitching about having to cover a study hall first semester.

Ha, that sounds familiar. We lived in the sticks and had to meet coaches somewhere in the middle to pick up film and then we watched it together all Sunday afternoon after the HC watched it all Saturday afternoon.

Nothing ticked me off more than to walk into a classroom as an administrator and seeing a coach drawing up plays or coverages when they should be teaching.

Your point about worrying what you put out on film is valid as well. I had a first year coach and the teams exchanged soap scrimmage film. He didn't want to give anything away so we played some stupid looking D that I am sure didn't fool anyone. Everyone is looking for that edge.

I am in the camp where you run your offense and defense full tilt, all of it.

Reactions: Lars72
I know this has been said, but I'll say it again, just in case.

I think Frost's offense is complexly simple. It is complex for those who have to defend it, but simple in that the offensive players have a finite number of reads, plays, shifts, or whatever. The complexity comes with how many different ways Frost can combine route combos or motions off of the same formation.

With that said, I doubt the full offense is ever fully implemented. There are just too many variations.

I don't think you see a vanilla game plan. I think the coaches game plan for what works against this week's opponents defensive schemes. They put in x number of plays, run those plays in game prep and will continue to run those plays all game long.

There is a chunk of the playbook that Frost did not get to last year. New system, freshman QB and all. Lack of a Duck-R type player like Wan'dale. I would think they will try to get to a little of everything that they want to be "vanilla" in terms of their offensive operations this year. And has been explained, there are derivative plays out of formations that can be run. Those will be seen less often during the season, and probably not used Saturday. However, any opposing D can view some video from Frost's last year at UCF and get a hint of things they might see.
Having a back like Mills is a real sweet contrast for an offense like Frost's. If he can produce like we hope, it's we're coming right at you one play, then we're running right by you the next.
But thats just it.
Every year, and during the season, what was done last year our of a set formation, or even week to week, depending on opponents strengths and wesknesses, the mismatches are created in game, with specific instructions to certain players.
And to mix it up, our opponents know our players strengths and wesknesses as well of course, but as the coaches have been saying, it doesnt matter who's in at the time, the call is the call, even if it isnt our best fits for it.
Then of course, nearly every play can be or is a triple option, just not on the ground only.
I'm sure this has been posted before, but it's still a great primer, not saying you wv, but anyone who wants a deeper dive of looks and the differentiations from those same looks, look here, another good read.
https://huskerchalktalk.com/

I know this has been said, but I'll say it again, just in case.

I think Frost's offense is complexly simple. It is complex for those who have to defend it, but simple in that the offensive players have a finite number of reads, plays, shifts, or whatever. The complexity comes with how many different ways Frost can combine route combos or motions off of the same formation.

With that said, I doubt the full offense is ever fully implemented. There are just too many variations.

I don't think you see a vanilla game plan. I think the coaches game plan for what works against this week's opponents defensive schemes. They put in x number of plays, run those plays in game prep and will continue to run those plays all game long.

Good coaches see the weaknesses in a D, either schematic or personnel, great coaches, see them and know exactly how to attack and exploit those very small weaknesses.

It is my understanding that almost any play can be run from any formation in Frosts O. So a inside zone read with a RPO can be run from any of the multiple sets, 00 to 23 packages and everything in between ( I assume they use the two digit numbering system with the first being the RB(s), the second the TE(s) and the rest have to be WR up to 5 total).

I get so tired of everyone who gripes about a team "running the same dang plays over and over", well they may look like the same to you but they are not. There are so many things going on outside the LOS and inside, you can't keep track of them as a casual observer.

I agree, Frost is just going to run what he wants to and when he wants to. The D on the other hand, could save some packages for later on if they can play straight up, which should not be a problem.

Good coaches see the weaknesses in a D, either schematic or personnel, great coaches, see them and know exactly how to attack and exploit those very small weaknesses.

It is my understanding that almost any play can be run from any formation in Frosts O. So a inside zone read with a RPO can be run from any of the multiple sets, 00 to 23 packages and everything in between ( I assume they use the two digit numbering system with the first being the RB(s), the second the TE(s) and the rest have to be WR up to 5 total).

I get so tired of everyone who gripes about a team "running the same dang plays over and over", well they may look like the same to you but they are not. There are so many things going on outside the LOS and inside, you can't keep track of them as a casual observer.

I agree, Frost is just going to run what he wants to and when he wants to. The D on the other hand, could save some packages for later on if they can play straight up, which should not be a problem.
Vanilla D with no or little blitzing

There are at least two schools of thought on first game play calling on both sides of the ball.

Go basic, some call it vanilla, whatever that is, and how would you recognize it? Don't show your future opponents too much, let them guess.

The other is show as much as you can to give the opposing teams more to prepare for and give your team an opportunity to use all the weapons whether those are plays or players.

There is probably a middle ground which is where I would guess they will go this weekend. Show some things so you can work on them, but perhaps hold back on a couple. I also expect the Huskers to establish power on both sides of the ball and build off if that.

You want to eventually use all of the O and D so the players are comfortable with it at some point in a game. Vanilla is often an excuse for a mediocre or poor performance.

Not certain if Frost and Chin know vanilla as a flavor/option! :) Thoughts?

WTF.

Vanilla D with no or little blitzing

Being as we run a base 3-4, I doubt it will be "little to no" blitzing. Maybe not disguising our blitzes much, but running a 3-4 you really have to blitz a decent amount just because you're only fielding 3 down lineman.

Ha, that sounds familiar. We lived in the sticks and had to meet coaches somewhere in the middle to pick up film and then we watched it together all Sunday afternoon after the HC watched it all Saturday afternoon.

Nothing ticked me off more than to walk into a classroom as an administrator and seeing a coach drawing up plays or coverages when they should be teaching.

Your point about worrying what you put out on film is valid as well. I had a first year coach and the teams exchanged soap scrimmage film. He didn't want to give anything away so we played some stupid looking D that I am sure didn't fool anyone. Everyone is looking for that edge.

I am in the camp where you run your offense and defense full tilt, all of it.

I can fix that for you...just stay in your office all day like most admins! Haha

Shoot, most HS football coaches don't even "teach" that first quarter...Ken Burns Civil War here we come! Press play!

As an administrator, I completely agree.

Verduzco has already said that most of the plays have been worked on, but the play book is whittled down for each game, based on what they think will work on the opponent. He said the offense gets easier now, because there are only so many plays scheduled for use in each game.

Reactions: saluno22
Everyone has tape on Frost now so come out and run mostly everything. Get your offense and defense in a rhythm and get subs in during the second half. Nothing worse than half assing a lower opponent to still have them in the game in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT