ADVERTISEMENT

I will just leave this here!!!

Ok some of you guys just cant get past Melvin Gordon or Wisconsin can you? Bo always had top 10 pass defense in the country and shut done numerous quarterbacks who went to the NFL.

Every damn coach has bad games every now n then even Alabama and the likes. I believe Bo coached damn near 100 games for Nebraska and most people only bring the SAME 4 or 5 GAMES.....you realize how that sounds?

Are yall happier with the shet show it's been the last 5 years?? I'm not happy and until the last 5 years I thought we had a chance to win every game we played. Now I just hope to get a win against Illinois and Rutgers...

Dude, take it easy.

giphy.gif

We are way past that time.
Rutgers is or was the only Big team where coaching was a joke,recruiting a joke etc.
You need players, Bo failed to get an entire team, a balanced roster,and it got worse each year.
It shows at ysu,comes in with a good start,he runs the program down.
The 2014 all big team only had 8 players,all Bos guys,all completely coached by him, yet the per team average was almost 11 players per team, Bo gave us 8.

Now, going to ysu, similar results are seen, and there ,it showed up on his record much quicker,ysu is no Nebraska,and Bo benefited despite his poor recruiting.

You are probably right at YSU, I don't know. I have never watched one second of their games or heard anything about them.

I skipped over much of this thread but it's unreal there are Bo apologists out there. He wad fired a year too late if you ask me.

Not an apologist, I don't care about him getting fired or if he got hit by a bus today...but to say he is a horrible person that only cares about himself is not accurate. So when someone says something stupid, they should be called out.

And I think everyone agrees that he was canned a year late.

No Bo Pelini fan, but logic would dictate that if Bo was a poor coach and a lazy recruiter that a better coach who wasn't a lazy recruiter should, once established:

average better than 9 wins per year
win/tie for the division more than half the time - play in the conf title game > 40% of the time

that is the bar that a poor coach and lazy recruiter was able to set here

I would recommend that we adopt the narrative that Bo's results were fine but he had to go due to professionalism issues - otherwise I suspect things may get uncomfortable in the future if we have to compare things like wins and losses, div titles

or we will have to interject things like

but, but ... Wisconsin or Iowa, or my god Minnesota to comfort us

Last edited:
Not an apologist, I don't care about him getting fired or if he got hit by a bus today...but to say he is a horrible person that only cares about himself is not accurate. So when someone says something stupid, they should be called out.

Obviously none of us know him well enough to say he's a horrible person throughout, but ALL of us are judged daily by our interactions with others. So if you cut me off at an intersection and flip me the bird, I'll conclude you're a dickhead. You might be nice to your wife and kids and care about your coworkers, but in that context you're a horrible person. I'm sure Bo cared about his players, etc. etc., but in my book his temper made him a pretty terrible person in the context of being a head football coach. His behavior was EXTREME, lest we forget.

You are probably right at YSU, I don't know. I have never watched one second of their games or heard anything about them.
He had them in the fcs championship game year two? Started losing once the previous coach and his Husker players that followed him left.
Once he's properly scouted by good coaches, once he has to do the upkeep at a high level in players, it starts to crumble.
It's possible he doesn't attract the right recruits, I do think his band is narrowed as to who plays for him, but those that are already there, and the few good ones he brings in get coached up.
At Nebraska,you're going to get guys no matter what,and back then closer to our better days,even more.
I think this helped Bo to an extent, plus having all those BC recruits created a great start for him he rode for awhile as well.

I was so happy when he was canned. I can't stand people like him. He was an embarrassment. If you're going to be an embarrassment, you better win big and he didn't. When you want to use an "us against the world" mentality, it's helpful if it's "us" as in the State, fanbase, donors and not "us" as in the coaches and players only and "f" the fanbase. He was a tool. When he said stupid things like "contrary to popular belief, I did not forget how to stop the run" and then you get boat raced time and again on the ground, he was stupid. He never beat any good teams. He was an idiot for bitching at Snyder in the Kansas State game for running up the score as the DC when Nebraska had killed Kansas State for 100 years. He was an idiot as the interim head coach getting an unsportsmanlike in the Alamo Bowl. He was an idiot getting the stupid penalty when playing Virginia Tech. Overall, he was an idiot. Glad he's gone and don't wish him well because I'm sure he doesn't wish anybody in Nebraska well beyond who was in his locker room.

No Bo Pelini fan, but logic would dictate that if Bo was a poor coach and a lazy recruiter that a better coach who wasn't a lazy recruiter should, once established:

win/tie for the division more than half the time - play in the conf title game > 40% of the time

I would recommend that we adopt the narrative that Bo's results were fine but he had to go due to professionalism issues - otherwise I suspect things may get uncomfortable in the future if we have to compare things like wins and losses, div titles

I would recommend you look at our losing record here current coaches last two classes and note both are better than anything Bo ever brought in.
Then, I would give it time for those two classes get here and actually see the field,playing against a much improved and stronger Big Ten.

I would recommend you look at our losing record here current coaches last two classes and note both are better than anything Bo ever brought in.
Then, I would give it time for those two classes get here and actually see the field,playing against a much improved and stronger Big Ten.
That's not how Jib rolls.

rodger ... will you please let us all know when we can start keeping score

the "tougher" schedule should be easily offset by superior coaching and recruiting

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Footballscoop says Bo is under consideration to return to LSU as Defensive Coordinator. My sympathy to LSU fans. RollingLaugh

Supposedly Bo is insisting that if he leaves Youngstown, that his brother Carl be named the replacement head coach.
Quid Pro Bro

Obviously none of us know him well enough to say he's a horrible person throughout, but ALL of us are judged daily by our interactions with others. So if you cut me off at an intersection and flip me the bird, I'll conclude you're a dickhead. You might be nice to your wife and kids and care about your coworkers, but in that context you're a horrible person. I'm sure Bo cared about his players, etc. etc., but in my book his temper made him a pretty terrible person in the context of being a head football coach. His behavior was EXTREME, lest we forget.

I mean...I guess if someone cuts me off and flips me the bird I don't think they are a horrible person. I think Ted Bundy is a horrible person. And I don't know him but he seems like he was horrible.

I would guess that ALL of us have cut someone off and that most of us have flipped off a person...but I am going to guess that most of us are pretty decent people.

please see bolded above - just let us all know when that occurs

I was so happy when he was canned. I can't stand people like him. He was an embarrassment. If you're going to be an embarrassment, you better win big and he didn't. When you want to use an "us against the world" mentality, it's helpful if it's "us" as in the State, fanbase, donors and not "us" as in the coaches and players only and "f" the fanbase. He was a tool. When he said stupid things like "contrary to popular belief, I did not forget how to stop the run" and then you get boat raced time and again on the ground, he was stupid. He never beat any good teams. He was an idiot for bitching at Snyder in the Kansas State game for running up the score as the DC when Nebraska had killed Kansas State for 100 years. He was an idiot as the interim head coach getting an unsportsmanlike in the Alamo Bowl. He was an idiot getting the stupid penalty when playing Virginia Tech. Overall, he was an idiot. Glad he's gone and don't wish him well because I'm sure he doesn't wish anybody in Nebraska well beyond who was in his locker room.

So, if he won, say, on average 2 more games a season...you would be okay with him even though he was an embarrassment?

I guess that feels like you really are not all that embarrassed.

By the way, I was never embarrassed by him or any coach of any team I have ever liked. I have never been embarrassed by any player on any team that I like. Maybe I am wired differently but I don't get embarrassed by people I don't know or don't care about.

Of course it isn't but its still fact,and good advice of the facts.
If this was Bo doing what SF did? Granted,our D would likely be different, and likely better to a degree, under Bo, the offense wouldnt be as good, and the record would likely be similar.
But, Bo never recruited at these levels, Bos attrition/fail rate was very high,his walkon program was just ok, not strong, so, even Bo wouldn't look good at this point, yet, we know he used to win nine in a weak ass Big, where wiscy was the only tough team, and iowa was sorta ksu level.
I think todays NW teams would have beaten Bos teams,iowas would have,and did,but theyre even improved.
Who was Illinois when Bo played them ? Purdue?
Minny beat Bo, yet there best team in decades was this year.

All fact

rodger ... will you please let us all know when we can start keeping score

the "tougher" schedule should be easily offset by superior coaching and recruiting
This year.
Show me where Bo ever played seven top 25 preseason teams?
I'll wait

Of course it isn't but its still fact,and good advice of the facts.
If this was Bo doing what SF did? Granted,our D would likely be different, and likely better to a degree, under Bo, the offense wouldnt be as good, and the record would likely be similar.
But, Bo never recruited at these levels, Bos attrition/fail rate was very high,his walkon program was just ok, not strong, so, even Bo wouldn't look good at this point, yet, we know he used to win nine in a weak ass Big, where wiscy was the only tough team, and iowa was sorta ksu level.
I think todays NW teams would have beaten Bos teams,iowas would have,and did,but theyre even improved.
Minny beat Bo, yet there best team in decades was this year.

All fact

I gotta give it up to you, you are relentless and I LOVE IT!

I am also starting to think you might be Shawn Eichorst! Ha

Bo is a good DC when he has the horses. Suh at NU. Dorsey at LSU. When he is a HC and doesn't feel the need to recruit he is terrible. If he is such a great HC why is he 32-27 at YSU and getting run out of town??
Because he is not such a great coach. I don't think anyone is arguing that, are they?

I gotta give it up to you, you are relentless and I LOVE IT!

I am also starting to think you might be Shawn Eichorst! Ha
Eichorst hated Bo for the same reasons some fans do.
Most fans hate SE for what he was, what he did and didn't do, I am one of those

Is that true...did the Huskers play 7n preseason top 25 teams this season?
This coming season, when the fruit,or much of it, of those two recruiting classes will be digested into this team.
You see, its presumed those players have already played with zero results,because we had another losing season, but facts show that not to be the case.

ass Big, where wiscy was the only tough team, and iowa was sorta ksu level.
Minny
beat Bo, yet there best team in decades was this year.

All fact

and there it is ....

but, but ... Wiscy
but, but ... Iowa
but, but ... NW
but, but ... Illinois
but, but ... Purdue
but, but ... Minny

I hope to god North Dakota State doesn't ever get a BIG invite

it's so unfair when you consider that the other teams are trying to win as well

this is why I keep saying we will become Iowa (maybe slightly better) ... there will always be reasons cited where 7 wins or 8 wins is really equivalent to 9-11 wins

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
So,this year, the Big started showing better, this coming year, theyre being rated.
Yes, the Big is better than when Bo coached here, and its getting better yet.

and there it is ....

but, but ... Wiscy
but, but ... Iowa
but, but ... NW
but, but ... Illinois
but, but ... Purdue
but, but ... Minny

this is why I keep saying we will become Iowa (maybe slightly better) ... there will always be reasons cited where 7 wins or 8 wins is really equivalent to 9-11 wins
There what is, you ignoring everything,every fact,every known substance on the Big?
Or, you cherry picking a team that owned us and still do, ignoring how iowa is better, minny is better, NW never won when Bo was here did they? A division? Illinois looking that good?

Is this coincidence to you?

and there it is ....

but, but ... Wiscy
but, but ... Iowa
but, but ... NW
but, but ... Illinois
but, but ... Purdue
but, but ... Minny

We were only slightly better under Bo than iowa is now.

So, if he won, say, on average 2 more games a season...you would be okay with him even though he was an embarrassment?

I guess that feels like you really are not all that embarrassed.

By the way, I was never embarrassed by him or any coach of any team I have ever liked. I have never been embarrassed by any player on any team that I like. Maybe I am wired differently but I don't get embarrassed by people I don't know or don't care about.

I don't personally get embarrassed by others actions either. But this isn't all about being embarrassed.

My feeling is he is a poor leader. Of both players and his coaches. Good leaders don't hunker down and play the us against the world card. That just ends up collapsing. When you you employ that it is just a matter of time before it fails.

I also don't agree with leading by intimidation and fear. Same as above. It is just a matter of time before it collapses. You wind up with people just trying not to screw up as opposed to thriving to succeed.

It is clear how he treated people behind closed doors. Just listen to his audios that were caught when he thought no one was listening. You are who you are when you think no one is listening.

Then throw in his in game tantrums. He was literally centimeters away from hitting a ref with his hat. He had multiple 15 yard penalties called directly on him. I don't really recall ever seeing another coach with as many unsportsmanlike penalties directly on them. His overall temperament is not a good leader. When you lose composure under pressure the team follows their leader. That is why the team cracked under pressure.

So my view is regardless of his 9-10 wins it was just a matter of time before things collapsed on him. There were way too many signs of poor leadership that I always felt would catch up to him.

Just my view, but Bo was a terrible leader and not someone I would want my kids to look up to for guidance.

Reactions: Sinomatic
I will say this again...NU was favored (at the start of the season) in every single game this year, except OSU.

I don't personally get embarrassed by others actions either. But this isn't all about being embarrassed.

My feeling is he is a poor leader. Of both players and his coaches. Good leaders don't hunker down and play the us against the world card. That just ends up collapsing. When you you employ that it is just a matter of time before it fails.

I also don't agree with leading by intimidation and fear. Same as above. It is just a matter of time before it collapses. You wind up with people just trying not to screw up as opposed to thriving to succeed.

It is clear how he treated people behind closed doors. Just listen to his audios that were caught when he thought no one was listening. You are who you are when you think no one is listening.

Then throw in his in game tantrums. He was literally centimeters away from hitting a ref with his hat. He had multiple 15 yard penalties called directly on him. I don't really recall ever seeing another coach with as many unsportsmanlike penalties directly on them. His overall temperament is not a good leader. When you lose composure under pressure the team follows their leader. That is why the team cracked under pressure.

So my view is regardless of his 9-10 wins it was just a matter of time before things collapsed on him. There were way too many signs of poor leadership that I always felt would catch up to him.

Just my view, but Bo was a terrible leader and not someone I would want my kids to look up to for guidance.

And that is fine, and totally normal to think that way. Again, my argument is that someone said he ONLY CARES ABOUT HIMSELF. I just don't think that is true. I think he cares about his players (current and former) and his family.

And that is fine, and totally normal to think that way. Again, my argument is that someone said he ONLY CARES ABOUT HIMSELF. I just don't think that is true. I think he cares about his players (current and former) and his family.
I should hope so. Even evil people do that....

Reactions: egaRdeR

I agree, not sure if we really know if he cares about himself only or not. But it is clear to me he is a blowhard jackass that is very misguided in what he thinks leadership is.

A lot of really bad people probably cared about others. That doesn't make them a good person.

There what is, you ignoring everything,every fact,every known substance on the Big?
Or, you cherry picking a team that owned us and still do, ignoring how iowa is better, minny is better, NW never won when Bo was here did they? A division? Illinois looking that good?

Is this coincidence to you?

according to Massey's strength of schedule in 2018 we had the 34th toughest schedule and in 2018 the 37th toughest

between 2008-2014 (Pelini years) we had a SOS ranked tougher than 34th 5 of the 7 years

It seems to me we have an instance of situational bias against Bo.
Yes we do, but this isnt a situation where people are staring down the mouth of a gift gorse here.
Bo earned what he got in his character actions,not his accomplishments.
If he were a losing coach here, those character flaws would have been met with a much higher degree of acceptance.

according to Massey's strength of schedule in 2018 we had the 34th toughest schedule and in 2018 the 37th toughest

between 2008-2014 (Pelini years) we had a SOS ranked tougher than 34th 5 of the 7 years
When exactly were those years? And, were those pre or post season? And if this is true, Bo never played a nine game Big schedule, which means he played a tougher ooc schedule, easier to win those games when youre not as scouted and known.
It also speaks to the Big getting better.
It also doesnt answer if Bo ever played seven top 25 preseason teams?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT