ADVERTISEMENT

I was wondering how long it would take....

BetterRed

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2006
Somewhere in the middle of Omaha
...before someone made mention of this. I'm surprised it's taken this long. Admittedly, I've noticed this too, so maybe I'm guilty of it as well. But I also like to think the players assembled for Wisconsin are just good players that Ryan recruited and assembled. But it's a shame anyone had to make notice of it, IMO, publicly.
This post was edited on 4/7 3:19 PM by BetterRed

White Wisky

Having family in Wisconsin, I don't see an issue with the article, and I'd say it's correct on all points.

Here's my point: Yeah, maybe the article is true on all points. But so what? Does this have to be made an issue or brought out publicly? What if one of the final four schools in the Frozen Four had five of it's starting six players on ice, were black? I'm sure everyone would agree that that would be a bit different from the norm. But there are a handful of black hockey players scattered everywhere. Would it be necessary to take notice of this in a public arena like USA Today has here? IDK. I guess I'm just sick of race being made such an issue everywhere like USA Today here has done.

I truly believe most folks are tired of race baiters, fighting, hating because of skin color, and killing. I say most folks,

I don't know if our country can be turned around, at least in my lifetime. I hope so.

Race and basketball are so intertwined. Texas Western vs Kentucky. Fab Five vs. "White Duke." Ryan's Wisconsin. The subject of race will always come up in basketball. It is probably the one area where you can have a peaceful conversation about race.

See the attached article. Iowas Mr Basketball from a great basketball town, has zero D1 scholarship offers. Read between the lines, what is the implication?

OWH

Interesting article, AD. I think this paragraph gives off enough implication.

In some respects, Sioux City East coach Ras Vanderloo said, Tillo is being penalized by the improper evolution of the college game, which puts much greater stock in players who can run and jump and have "high ceilings,'' than those who are well-schooled in the fundamentals and have more polish

Even though you can read between the lines, it's a feature story about the kid, though. It wasn't blatant like the USA Today story.

I agreee. It seems everyone has to look at everything through race colored glasses. If wisconsin had not made the final four you probably would not have seen this article. You also dont see articles on the lack of black swimmers, hockey players, golfers, and Nascar drivers. So what.

Originally posted by BetterRed:

Here's my point: Yeah, maybe the article is true on all points. But so what? Does this have to be made an issue or brought out publicly? What if one of the final four schools in the Frozen Four had five of it's starting six players on ice, were black? I'm sure everyone would agree that that would be a bit different from the norm. But there are a handful of black hockey players scattered everywhere. Would it be necessary to take notice of this in a public arena like USA Today has here? IDK. I guess I'm just sick of race being made such an issue everywhere like USA Today here has done.
In case you haven't been spending most your time in 2015 everything is brought out publicly and made an issue of.

I found it odd that the story makes no mention that Bronson Koenig is Native American. He's a member of the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) tribe.

This post was edited on 4/7 7:14 PM by 500mileRadius

Wow - I am shocked somebody made an observation about the % of black vs white people related to something!?!? Maybe someday we can have a society where a person is judged based on the content of their character versus the color of their skin. I have a dream...

As a black man, I can tell you I'm tired of hearing about racial issues. We all do the samething just a little different. You might find out you like another way better.

Originally posted by jeans15:
As a black man, I can tell you I'm tired of hearing about racial issues. We all do the samething just a little different. You might find out you like another way better.
Agree totally! I'm just trying to point out that basketball's history is intersects with numerous stories that involve race. As I mentioned before, The Texas Western/Kentucky story is one of the most famous games in the history of the sport. It will always be there.

Larry Bird's career will always be linked to the Isiah Thomas' comment about if Bird was black, he'd just be another "good guy."

NBA TV every so often plays a 2 hour show about Bird and Magic Johnson's rivalry and friendship. There's all sorts of racial aspects brought up in that show.

I brought up the Fab 5 in an earlier post. You can't talk about the Fab 5 without bringing up the negative letters sent by alumni with nagative racial comments about the team. These things are history, and shouldn't be forgotten, as it's not only history, but microcosms of our society.

My point is that there are reasons why Wisconsin's racial make up is what it is, and it's of interest to people, or the story wouldn't have been written. Race and basketball collide to this day, down to the youth level. I've seen it and heard it. As long as it exists at the youth level, then people will talk about race and basketball.

When I said basketball is probably the one place where you could have a peaceful conversation about race, this is what I meant. I bet you could put Bobby Hurley, Christian Laetner, Jalen Rose, and Chris Webber (heated rivals 20 years ago) in a room and have them talk about race and basketball. I'd bet there'd be some disturbing stories, but Id but it'd be full of laughter too. As a fan, I'd love to just sit and listen, and I bet people would learn something!

So I don't see talk about race and basketball as a negative thing. Basketball more than any other sport brings people of opposing races together. The players don't have pads and helmets on, so you see who they are. The fans aren't sitting in large outdoor stadiums, they are in close proximity indoors in gyms. People if they are open minded can see that we all do the same things just a little differently and that's ok.

lol the article from the OP cracks me up------at the end of the day Frank got called a n i gg a

Originally posted by newAD:

Originally posted by jeans15:
Agree totally! I'm just trying to point out that basketball's history is intersects with numerous stories that involve race. As I mentioned before, The Texas Western/Kentucky story is one of the most famous games in the history of the sport. It will always be there.

Larry Bird's career will always be linked to the Isiah Thomas' comment about if Bird was black, he'd just be another "good guy."

NBA TV every so often plays a 2 hour show about Bird and Magic Johnson's rivalry and friendship. There's all sorts of racial aspects brought up in that show.

I brought up the Fab 5 in an earlier post. You can't talk about the Fab 5 without bringing up the negative letters sent by alumni with nagative racial comments about the team. These things are history, and shouldn't be forgotten, as it's not only history, but microcosms of our society.

My point is that there are reasons why Wisconsin's racial make up is what it is, and it's of interest to people, or the story wouldn't have been written. Race and basketball collide to this day, down to the youth level. I've seen it and heard it. As long as it exists at the youth level, then people will talk about race and basketball.

When I said basketball is probably the one place where you could have a peaceful conversation about race, this is what I meant. I bet you could put Bobby Hurley, Christian Laetner, Jalen Rose, and Chris Webber (heated rivals 20 years ago) in a room and have them talk about race and basketball. I'd bet there'd be some disturbing stories, but Id but it'd be full of laughter too. As a fan, I'd love to just sit and listen, and I bet people would learn something!

So I don't see talk about race and basketball as a negative thing. Basketball more than any other sport brings people of opposing races together. The players don't have pads and helmets on, so you see who they are. The fans aren't sitting in large outdoor stadiums, they are in close proximity indoors in gyms. People if they are open minded can see that we all do the same things just a little differently and that's ok.
Solid post. You nailed it bro.

so we are to take away from this article what exactly? That elite black bball players don't want to play for Wisconsin because of the style of play? Who gives a s$&t?

Well said newAD! It doesn't have to be a bad thing to talk about race!

Of course it doesn't have to be a bad thing to talk about race, but for some damn reason, the only time it gets talked about is when something bad happens, which, as far as I am concerned, is THE problem. The constant (and usually first) narrative is "look what happened between this white (or white-hispanic if the person isn't 100% "white") and black person . . . it must have been his race that [fill in the blank]." Nobody has to go back very far to see a perfect example of a false narrative which caused a great deal of damage and destruction (emotionally and physically), a lot of which could have probably been avoided if not for the wanting of it to be about race. There are lots of people in society (news [and as of late, politics] in particular) that want the racial tension, and they do all they can to sell it, because it is good for business.

This article reflects so many negative stereotypes and prejudices. You don't have to read past the title of the article to see it: "Wisconsin doesn't hide from 'white guys' reputation." The obvious question is, what in the hell is there to hide from? What is the "white guy" reputation? There is no doubt that, as used here, "white guys reputation" is a pejorative phrase. Why?

Littered throughout the article are comments like these:

"He was just saying we've got too many white guys," Taylor says with a chuckle. "I still get kind of poked at, teased about it, because it always seems like there are about four white guys and a black point guard all the time (in Wisconsin's starting lineup)."

"I think the misconception is that Bo just likes to recruit the big, white kids," says Howard Moore, who was an assistant coach under Ryan from 2005 to 2010

Taylor, who was an all-Big Ten Conference point guard for Wisconsin, says, "I think the style of play we have doesn't appeal to the premier athlete."

Myers, who was a Wisconsin undergrad and medical school student in the 1970s and '80s, says the school's history as an overwhelmingly white university means minority students "run into situations and circumstances where you face racism."
Why is a black guy getting teased for playing with white guys? Why do people believe Bo Ryan is racist because he has a team with more white than black? Are there any premier athletes that aren't black? Clearly, there is a direct correlation between the % of blacks at a school in relation to incidents of racism (better let all the southern schools know about this, I don't think they got the memo)?

This article very much gives the feeling that it is a problem that W has mostly white guys, and the explanation is in large part reliant upon prejudices and stereotypes, but I suspect most people won't care or won't even recognize it because it is mostly directed at whitey.

This post was edited on 4/8 11:38 AM by Lincoln100

This post was edited on 4/8 12:31 PM by Lincoln100

Originally posted by skintight:
lol the article from the OP cracks me up------at the end of the day Frank got called a n i gg a
But....as per Dave Chappelle, white kids listening to hip-hop love that label.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT