ADVERTISEMENT

I was told the Big East was a great conference?

A

anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

Terrible tourney showing the last couple years. And yes, they "at least got there". But they were supposed to, and did nothing. Poor showing for such a strong conference.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

1 sweet 16 from 7 teams in 2 years that were 6 seeds or better. Have not beaten anyone better than an 11 seed.

I really wouldn't care if we didn't have to hear how they get zero respect and deserve to be mentioned with the top conferences. Another year of whining for them.

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
Terrible tourney showing the last couple years. And yes, they "at least got there". But they were supposed to, and did nothing. Poor showing for such a strong conference.
We are told a lot of stuff here that is mostly fairy dust and pipe dreams.
happy.r191677.gif

If there really are Big East fans who claim it's a great conference, they are decidedly wrong. It's a pretty good conference where entertaining basketball is played, but it's definitely not great.

The discussion that took place here was in response to the claim that Nebraska would have finished in the top three of the Big East, and that Villanova might be the only Big East team that makes the tournament. Nothing that happened this week makes that statement any less idiotic.

You forgot the part where Crayton fan claimed it is the best conference. I agree with your other points.

I didn't see that post, but the Creighton fan who claimed that is every bit as delusional as the guy who thinks NU would have been a top-three Big East team.

Originally posted by schuele:
I didn't see that post, but the Creighton fan who claimed that is every bit as delusional as the guy who thinks NU would have been a top-three Big East team.
I think I remember that post. Lots of LOL's in that thread.

There was no discussion. It was one poster of their rocker. At the end of the day the Big East once again proves they don't belong in the same conversation as the other top leagues.

Originally posted by huskerbaseball13:
There was no discussion. It was one poster of their rocker. At the end of the day the Big East once again proves they don't belong in the same conversation as the other top leagues.
Look, I'm not a Big East fan or anything, but to say they're not in the same conversation with some of the other conferences simply because Villanova lost to NC State (who holds wins over Duke, Louisville, and UNC) is just wrong. Outside of Villanova, only Georgetown should have made the sweet 16 by seeding.

And before we jump the gun, the Big 10 could easily end up with only one sweet 16 team. The Big 12 is only going to get one or two. The SEC is only getting one. So trying to make sweeping generalizations about the conference based on sweet 16 teams is problematic. Was the Big East overrated by their BPI that claimed they were the second best conference? Yep. Sure was. But most of us already knew that. But it's still a good conference. It's just not the ACC.

I just gotta ask again, what is the point of spelling Creighton wrong?

Originally posted by shine003:

Originally posted by huskerbaseball13:

Look, I'm not a Big East fan or anything, but to say they're not in the same conversation with some of the other conferences simply because Villanova lost to NC State (who holds wins over Duke, Louisville, and UNC) is just wrong. Outside of Villanova, only Georgetown should have made the sweet 16 by seeding.

And before we jump the gun, the Big 10 could easily end up with only one sweet 16 team. The Big 12 is only going to get one or two. The SEC is only getting one. So trying to make sweeping generalizations about the conference based on sweet 16 teams is problematic. Was the Big East overrated by their BPI that claimed they were the second best conference? Yep. Sure was. But most of us already knew that. But it's still a good conference. It's just not the ACC.
I agree completely with this post. The Big East is not the second best conference. It's most certainly behind the ACC, and probably the Big XII and even Pac 12. I think the Big East is on par with the Big 10, personally. But it's still a good conference. The Big East certainly hasn't done well in this tournament, but nor has the Big XII, really. And Villanova, Butler and Georgetown lost to good teams from both the ACC and Pac 12. Those are hardly big upset losses. So yeah. It's not the best conference. But it's not horrible, either. Like this poster said. It's just not the ACC.

Remind me again how the Big Ten did last year in March? The Big East will end up getting 1 team in the sweet 16 in the last two years and most likely not go further. Until they do something in March like all the other power conferences have done they will not get any respect. This isn't the old Big East. This is a new conference that hasn't proven anything on the big stage.

This post was edited on 3/22 12:37 PM by huskerbaseball13

Nobody has said it's not a good conference. But the majority of their fans think they deserve the old respect the Big East got because they now play in the Big East. Nope. This is a new league....even if the Big Ten gets 1 sweet 16 team the league has proven in the past to be top tier. The new Big East hasn't. And they have fallen flat on their face the last two years in March. That's why nationally they will not get the respect they think they deserve.

I would think this this new edition of the Big East us on par with the current edition of the Atlantic 10 conference...probably a little better but overall about the same ...its probably the best mens soccer conference out there but soccer is not ....well its soccer

The "Big East" is not on par with the BIG. They have some good teams, but losing Syracuse, ND and Miami hurt. Slapping makeup on Xavier, Butler and Creighton and claiming dominance is bad form. It's upper-level mid majors and Georgetown.

Eh.....the old Big East was like a mega-conference with 16 teams. Nobody was as good as that conference. Not even the ACC. They had all those great east coast teams. So certainly the new Big East isn't as good as that. But who was?

Originally posted by Soda Popinski:
The "Big East" is not on par with the BIG. They have some good teams, but losing Syracuse, ND and Miami hurt. Slapping makeup on Xavier, Butler and Creighton and claiming dominance is bad form. It's upper-level mid majors and Georgetown.Defecting away from UConn hurt the league too. Seemed like the non-football Big East schools were gung ho about starting their more compact league. I understand their reluctance in admitting lesser schools in the old Big East to maintain a football league.

The league probably knew that the league quality might take a step back before it could go two steps forward.

Yes, the Big East had a tough showing in this year's tournament. However, The ACC last year only had one team that made the sweet 16. Seriously, can we please stop with these power 5 label garbage applying to basketball. Point blank, power five only applies to Football. There is way more parity in Basketball than in football. Understand, when it comes to March Madness, the better team doesn't always win. This year's tournament is not any different. During the regular season, the Big East was the second best conference, right behind the Big 12. Also, the Big East had a 7-2 record against the ACC in the Regular season. When it comes to March, in a one and done tournament, anything can happen, just ask Kansas who has failed to reach the sweet 16 for a second year in a row or Duke who lost in the first round last year against Mercer. This is why they call it March Madness. Another thing to remember; A lot of the larger conference are top heavy, and rest of the conference is a drop off. Bigger doesn't mean better, which is probably why the Big 12 might decide to stay put and not add another school.
This post was edited on 3/24 8:49 AM by HoyaAnt

ADVERTISEMENT