ADVERTISEMENT

I want this one badly...

marlon_fan

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2007
As some of you might know, I've been a Nebraska fan since 1987. I'm 38 years old so I remember the glory days. Also recall those disheartening losses in the Orange Bowl to Miami and Florida State. If Nebraska lost a game 15-20 years ago, it would throw me into a week long funk. Over time, I've become more accustomed to the losing. Haven't we all?

Having a different perspective on things has dampened my enthusiasm just a bit. Still follow the team 12 months a year and there's few things that would cause me to miss a game. But, I don't have that same jump in my step leading up to a 'big' game.

The game on Saturday though is causing me to have flashbacks. For me, the anticipation for Oregon is like it was when Nebraska went to Washington in 1997, or when Oklahoma came to Lincoln in 2001.

I really want the win on Saturday.

If you read, or listen, to anything from the national media about Nebraska football, you're going to have sift through a mini monologue about how the team is still trying to pick itself up off the mat after 15+ years of mediocrity and disappointment.

The players that come through this program, and most especially by the time they reach their senior season, walk around with the weight and burden of the kids that came before them and left without a conference championship or a BCS bowl game.

A fan base is still wounded and suffering from the failures of Solich, Callahan, and Pelini.

Beat Oregon and everything changes. Short-term, the opportunity is there to go 7-0 and be in the top 10 or 15 when they head into Madison. Long-term, you're going to have more than a handful of elite HS players take notice. Mike Riley will be able to attach tangible results to what's already proving to be an effective recruiting pitch.

So much is there for the taking. It's time to go out and grab it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News