ADVERTISEMENT

I want Husker Football as much as you, but...

The_Glove_Man

Senior
Jun 9, 2010
Madison, WI
this season is doomed. Collegians are gonna be collegial. This virus is so contagious there is just no way that it isn't going to decimate some locker rooms this season and introduce chaos and panic and probably lawsuits.

I have $100 that says neither the SEC nor the Big 12 nor the ACC makes it through their whole schedule this year.

Universities that are planning to let fans into the stadium are pure crazy.

Call me when there's a vaccine.

You will lose that bet... The SEC will be playing football come hell or high water, they won't care if they have an OT playing QB. I suspect the other 2 leagues will follow suit as well.

It's too bad we got caught up in the BS politics. It's pretty clear to anyone with half a brain what happened, just look at the map of who is playing and who isn't.

this season is doomed. Collegians are gonna be collegial. This virus is so contagious there is just no way that it isn't going to decimate some locker rooms this season and introduce chaos and panic and probably lawsuits.

I have $100 that says neither the SEC nor the Big 12 nor the ACC makes it through their whole schedule this year.

Take a lap

giphy.gif

From the college athletes I've talked to, the bigger issue is the players who keep having to quarantine because they were exposed to someone with Covid. Sitting around 14 days in Q ... one kid sick can equal a LOT more in Q because they were exposed, BUT HAVE NO SYMPTOMS.

Stay home and be quiet. And wear a mask so others know just how much you care.

Define

Assuming you're serious...define "decimate".

It’s so damn contagious you hardly know anyone who’s had it
It's so damned contagious that an internal medicine M.D. I know had it, had sex with his wife the night before he became ill, and she never got infected. She was negative to the antigen test twice AND recently was negative to the antibody test. It's so damned contagious that a 75 year old I know didn't get it from his wife either. She had one night of chills back in March and a runny nose with COVID and yes they sleep in the same bed. They've been flying all over the country visiting grandkids for the past several months.

Getting COVID19 when your 18 to 22 and healthy most players will not even know they are sick. This is not a death sentence, life must go on

It's so damned contagious that an internal medicine M.D. I know had it, had sex with his wife the night before he became ill, and she never got infected. She was negative to the antigen test twice AND recently was negative to the antibody test. It's so damned contagious that a 75 year old I know didn't get it from his wife either. She had one night of chills back in March and a runny nose with COVID and yes they sleep in the same bed. They've been flying all over the country visiting grandkids for the past several months.

I think I had it. I’ve had a cold twice since Feb. Never took a min off my job. My two kiddos have been sick too. But they got over it in a day.

I don’t doubt there’s a bug going around. But I also don’t doubt there’s something sinister going on with the fear propagating from our media.

I also had an uncle in Alabama that had it. 70 years old, breathing problems, 250 lbs over weight. Beat it in 5 days and used a steroid based inhaler. Worst he had was a cough, loss of taste/smell, and a low grade fever.

You just don't know that they've had it.

I work for a company that employs 20k people in my area. Yes, there’s been hundreds of positive cases. We’ve had 1 hospitalization and 0 deaths from the pandemic. These are people working in factories, production based.

the guy who was hospitalized was the CFO on a return trip from Las Vegas. Ended up with pneumonia and was on a vent. He survived and fully recovered

For serious? If we can save hundreds or thousands of lives by waiting 6 more months until there's a vaccine, then clearly that is what we do.

How many will you kill while waiting?

Why are you willing to kill those lives?

How many will the vaccine kill?

Would you like me to keep going?

Do you see how incredibly stupid this all is?

Saying we shouldn't play is simply ignoring the facts of what's actually happening to people in the age range of college football players.

Since the beginning of the pandemic there have been a total of 300 deaths from Covid for people between the ages of 15 and 24 in the US. During that same period there have been 336 deaths from Pneumonia or the Flu for the same age group.

Of the 170,566 deaths reported to the CDC from Covid in the US a total of 360 were from people under the age of 25. That is only 0.2% of all Covid deaths.

There are 42,970,800 people between the ages of 15 and 24 in the US. Covid has killed 0.0007% of the population between 15 and 24.

Let's also consider the fact that the guys playing football will be in the top 1% of physical fitness of all 15 to 24 year olds. They will have better medical care than the vast majority of 15-24 year olds. They will eat better than the vast majority of 15-24 year olds. They will also be tested multiple times a week.

So I ask this in all seriousness, Why shouldn't they play? The players are currently more likely to die from the flu/pneumonia than from Covid. I totally understand the argument for keeping fans out of the stadium. I DO NOT understand players not being allowed to play.

(All numbers used are from the CDC. See here: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm)

Last edited:
I suppose we will just have to suck it up at that point. The blue hairs will stay home and we'll be able to stand up and cheer loudly in West stadium. Silver linings.
How can we stand up & cheer loudly in West stadium if there isn't an effective vaccine? I thought you just said we had to keep it shut down until there is a vaccine?

Reactions: bshirt73
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT