ADVERTISEMENT

I think we get 9+ wins next year.

GammaxuvirHusker

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 8, 2014
Our win/loss record this year is not good, so I get the pessimism, but if you look beyond that I think we have reason to be optimistic for next year. This team has faced one of the toughest schedules of any team this year and we were in every single game. One or two good plays/lucky breaks and this team could be undefeated (or close to it). Now, look at our schedule for next year and then look at our current depth chart and see how many starters we could potentially have returning next year. In my view, everything is lining up for the team to have a great season.

Just my two cents.

Depth Chart
2022 Schedule

Our win/loss record this year is not good, so I get the pessimism, but if you look beyond that I think we have reason to be optimistic for next year. This team has faced one of the toughest schedules of any team this year and we were in every single game. One or two good plays/lucky breaks and this team could be undefeated (or close to it). Now, look at our schedule for next year and then look at our current depth chart and see how many starters we could potentially have returning next year. In my view, everything is lining up for the team to have a great season.

Just my two cents.

Depth Chart
2022 Schedule

We will see who the OC is. If it is a shitty hire, it will be a losing season. We will see.

Reactions: oldjar07
Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa know how to beat Nebraska and have proved it the last 4 seasons. Start with a way of beating these teams and going 8-4 or 9-3 look promising.

I think even 8-5 (consider the bowl game as a coin flip) and Frost keeps his job. Replacing Sparty and Ohio State with Rutgers and Indiana should give him a chance at plus two wins right off the bat.

Brohm 3-1 vs. Frost.
Bielema 1-0 vs. Frost.
Fleck 3-1 vs. Frost.
Chryst 2-0 vs. Frost.
Ferentz 3-0 vs. Frost.
Fitzgerald 2-2 vs. Frost.
Harbaugh 3-0 vs. Frost.
Allen 1-0 vs Frost.
L. Riley 1-0 vs. Frost.
Schiano 0-1 vs. Frost.

Nine wins will require beating North Dakota and Georgia Southern, plus Frost finding ways to beat seven of the above coaches.

Color me skeptical.

Brohm 3-1 vs. Frost.
Bielema 1-0 vs. Frost.
Fleck 3-1 vs. Frost.
Chryst 2-0 vs. Frost.
Ferentz 3-0 vs. Frost.
Harbaugh 3-0 vs. Frost.
Allen 1-0 vs Frost.
L. Riley 1-0 vs. Frost.
Schiano 0-1 vs. Frost.

Nine wins will require beating North Dakota and Georgia Southern, plus Frost finding ways to beat seven of the above coaches.

Color me skeptical.
except now it's Alberts

Just my two cents.

Depth Chart
2022 Schedule
Depending on the OC and who we can get in the portal, PLUS an easier schedule as you say, then I think it's possible.

In my opinion, Nebraska's Trev Alberts is to Nebraska what Barry Alvarez was to Wisconsin. He's going to be pulling all the strings from here forward and whomever is the actual head coach (head coach in name only) isn't so important.

Reactions: oldjar07
Brohm 3-1 vs. Frost.
Bielema 1-0 vs. Frost.
Fleck 3-1 vs. Frost.
Chryst 2-0 vs. Frost.
Ferentz 3-0 vs. Frost.
Harbaugh 3-0 vs. Frost.
Allen 1-0 vs Frost.
L. Riley 1-0 vs. Frost.
Schiano 0-1 vs. Frost.

Color me skeptical.
Trev Alberts 1-0 vs Frost.

Get Jack Miller or Spencer Rattler in the transfer portal. I don't like Rattler based off what I have seen from this kid. He is very arrogant, and looks very immature. But he will need a rehabilitation year to make his singular goal of being a high round draft pick after being unseated at Oklahoma. He will be like getting a one year rental in his contract year. Talent is there, I just wouldn't want him for more than one year.

Jack Miller is a former five star turned four star due to missing his senior season in high school. He hasn't ran away from the competition at Ohio State, but the writing is on the wall he won't get a shot there behind Stroud, McCord, and now Ewers. Plus he just got suspended for a driving incident involving alcohol(Not as severe as the Ruggs incident). This kid was seen as the future at Ohio State before getting injured in high school. He stayed even after Ohio State got him a fellow five star in Stroud. That shows a form of moxie a certain other former Ohio State QB that had to transfer after three years when he was buried behind two other guys.

I don’t want to dissuade anyone from being optimistic, but the endless talk about a bounce here or a break there is exhausting. Having the worst special teams unit in college football, a sieve for an offensive line and erratic QB play are not freak accidents. They are telltale characteristics of a bad team.

Last edited:
Brohm 3-1 vs. Frost.
Bielema 1-0 vs. Frost.
Fleck 3-1 vs. Frost.
Chryst 2-0 vs. Frost.
Ferentz 3-0 vs. Frost.
Harbaugh 3-0 vs. Frost.
Allen 1-0 vs Frost.
L. Riley 1-0 vs. Frost.
Schiano 0-1 vs. Frost.

Color me skeptical.
With a new O style, new OC and possibly a brand new QB..oh and still no full time Special teams coach..

And we will have a drop off on D next yr, not sure how much, but there will be a drop off. That needs to be factored in..

Depending on the OC and who we can get in the portal, PLUS an easier schedule as you say, then I think it's possible.

In my opinion, Nebraska's Trev Alberts is to Nebraska what Barry Alvarez was to Wisconsin. He's going to be pulling all the strings from here forward and whomever is the actual head coach (head coach in name only) isn't so important.
I think if Frost hires Helfrich as the OC that will fit right into Trev's plan of getting rid of SF next year.

These buddy hires for Frost have just not cut it on the offensive side of the ball.

Helfrich will be nothing more than a yes man for Frost, just like Frost likes it.

I think at this point, Scott is in charge of the team, and Trev is in charge of anything he wants to be in charge of.

Regardless of what they say publicly, I don't think Frost likes Trev nor do I think Trev likes Frost.

Trev was brought in to do a job, and he's gonna do it. What is done and said publicly is secondary to what is actually put in place privately. In Frost's mind, this is not a good working relationship. He has been used to doing thngs the way he wants to, and that ship has sailed.

However, I will be curious to see what type of coach this make Frost. He may get a lot tougher on the kids, he may become way more demanding, and if he feels threatened, he may actually play the best players, as happened earlier this year. That would be a good thing.

I think if Frost hires Helfrich as the OC that will fit right into Trev's plan of getting rid of SF next year.

These buddy hires for Frost have just not cut it on the offensive side of the ball.

Helfrich will be nothing more than a yes man for Frost, just like Frost likes it.

I think at this point, Scott is in charge of the team, and Trev is in charge of anything he wants to be in charge of.

Regardless of what they say publicly, I don't think Frost likes Trev nor do I think Trev likes Frost.

Trev was brought in to do a job, and he's gonna do it. What is done and said publicly is secondary to what is actually put in place privately. In Frost's mind, this is not a good working relationship. He has been used to doing thngs the way he wants to, and that ship has sailed.

However, I will be curious to see what type of coach this make Frost. He may get a lot tougher on the kids, he may become way more demanding, and if he feels threatened, he may actually play the best players, as happened earlier this year. That would be a good thing.
I agree with most of this. I'm not sure who Scott will hire or how that is going to work, but it does seem like it's not well defined.

Some reports make it sound like bigger changes are coming, others make it sound like there isn't.

The part with Scott saying he can spend more time with fans and boosters, I laugh at that. Scott doesn't like that sort of stuff. He loves being the OC and being detailed in the offense. So there is a disconnect here.

I do agree, this is like firing Scott, without firing him. If they hire the OC Trev wants or approves of, then he gets the changes that he wants, and Scott can go hunting and nobody cares.

In this light, I think Trev is most certainly steering the program now. Not SF. I think it will remain that way for a long time, and Trev will hopefully get us back to winning football.

The relationship between Scott and Trev, I have no idea. It might not be as bad as you think. Certainly they have come to an agreement and way forward for a year, so thinking big picture AD moves, I'm now more positive of this, if someone else is really going to run the offense.

Just my two cents.

Depth Chart
2022 Schedule
I'll wait and see who we get as the new assistants first. With the right group of coaches brought in, it's possible.

Just my two cents.

Depth Chart
2022 Schedule
Get the right crew together and I would agree

I don’t want to dissuade anyone from being optimistic, but the endless talk about a bounce here or a break there is exhausting. Having the worst special teams unit in college football. a sieve for an offensive line and erratic QB play are not freak accidents. They are telltale characteristics of a bad team.
And yet the team was within one score of winning/tying all games but one (9 points to OSU). With even marginal improvement in those areas we likely win most of those games.

I agree with most of this. I'm not sure who Scott will hire or how that is going to work, but it does seem like it's not well defined.

Some reports make it sound like bigger changes are coming, others make it sound like there isn't.

The part with Scott saying he can spend more time with fans and boosters, I laugh at that. Scott doesn't like that sort of stuff. He loves being the OC and being detailed in the offense. So there is a disconnect here.

I do agree, this is like firing Scott, without firing him. If they hire the OC Trev wants or approves of, then he gets the changes that he wants, and Scott can go hunting and nobody cares.

In this light, I think Trev is most certainly steering the program now. Not SF. I think it will remain that way for a long time, and Trev will hopefully get us back to winning football.

The relationship between Scott and Trev, I have no idea. It might not be as bad as you think. Certainly they have come to an agreement and way forward for a year, so thinking big picture AD moves, I'm now more positive of this, if someone else is really going to run the offense.
Admittedly, I don't know how Trev and Scott really feel about each other. I'm just basing it on the fact that Scott has been running a weekend flag football program, and now someone, with authority, has come in and said that shit's gonna stop.

Given Frost's enormous ego, in having dealt with these types for a long time, they will portray that they are willing to change, but at the very depths of it they hugely resent it.

Ultimately they're not able to feed their ego with having someone watch over them, and they go on, or are forced to go on, to greener pastures.

Frost was brought here to rescue this program, to restore it to the great heighths of Devaney and Osborne. That hasn't and won't happen.

It's like the University begged him (with 5 Mil a year) to come here and resurrect this program, yet found in about 2 years that was a pipe dream.

And for whatever reason, I think Frost planned to be here for 25 years or so and the reality has shown him that that isn't likely.

I see Frost, at some point, moving on and becoming a really successful coach at some school that has what he needs. He's a young guy whose gonna be in the game as long as he wants to, and I wish him well, despite all my criticisms of him.

I think even 8-5 (consider the bowl game as a coin flip) and Frost keeps his job. Replacing Sparty and Ohio State with Rutgers and Indiana should give him a chance at plus two wins right off the bat.
You would think so. But outside of Northwestern this season we have proven that we can consistently make awful teams look great.

Using Frost history:
Losses: OU, Mich, ILL, Wisky, Iowa, Minny, Ind, Purdue
Wins: two scrubs
Toss ups: NW, Rutgers

So, 4-5 wins tops.

Just my two cents.

Depth Chart
2022 Schedule
I feel like your next post is going to include some information on a bag of black money and you can sell me the washing solution for a small fee

Frost was brought here to rescue this program, to restore it to the great heighths of Devaney and Osborne. That hasn't and won't happen.

It's like the University begged him (with 5 Mil a year) to come here and resurrect this program, yet found in about 2 years that was a pipe dream.
I would be happy with a head coach getting us to 9-10 wins a year and a division title every other year and coming within 1 rigged second to win a conference title! Ya know.....the Pelini years. Is that too much to ask?

Beggars can't be choosey...........

Reactions: pharvey0829
I don’t want to dissuade anyone from being optimistic, but the endless talk about a bounce here or a break there is exhausting. Having the worst special teams unit in college football. a sieve for an offensive line and erratic QB play are not freak accidents. They are telltale characteristics of a bad team.
When I look at "special teams" it was all about the guys putting their feet on the balls. Not the whole unit. I thought our coverage and schemes were better this year. So really you're talking about 3 guys. Just 3 guys who could make a HUGE difference for you team. We've got to find a better punter, kicker and QB. And oh yeah, for the love of God find somebody who can coach an OT.

Huskers did play tough this year and many close losses. Lots of talent. Just get a more reliable QB and a better place kicker and Nebraska should start winning more. Just hope it's not against OU in Sept.

I would be happy with a head coach getting us to 9-10 wins a year and a division title every other year and coming within 1 rigged second to win a conference title! Ya know.....the Pelini years. Is that too much to ask?

Beggars can't be choosey...........
Believe it or not, I wasn't a Solich, Callahan, Pelini, Riley or Frost guy. I was a guy who wanted a team to play good football, play their asses off, not beat themselves, and realistic enough to know that the the typical national powers would all have recruiting advantages.

I didn't care if NU ran it 80 times or threw it 50 times as long as they didn't beat themselves. And yes, even back in the Devaney and Osborne days I was smart enough to know that OU, FSU, Miami, and a couple others just had better talent, had great coaching, and even when NU played their best, they could still be beaten.

Sometimes that yielded a 13/14 and 0 season, some 12-1 years, and even with the 9 win seasons. Usually anytime NU lost their Senior QB it was going to take part of the season to really roll, and usually meant a loss or two and then there was always OU to deal with.

I don't care if Frost develops into "the guy", or someone else, I would just like some respectability and national respect again, but mostly statewide pride in a football team that plays hard and is hard to beat. That's all.

I'd like to be able to get excited again to have NU play in some games that actually MATTER. Beat teams they should, play for a division title, play for a conference title every 2-3 years and maybe every 5-6 years be in the Playoffs.

I dont feel it.
I’d take bowl eligible at this point.
if theyre better, I’d happily eat my words.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT