ADVERTISEMENT

I think a millennial is going to take my job

blackshirts25

Walk On
Dec 10, 2004
My name is Darwin and I work for a light fixture company in Omaha. I just can’t keep up with the techy stuff they keep putting in my job to sell light fixtures to builders and custom home buyers. I’ma seller and I’ve done this for almost thirty years, fresh out of school. But now they got Becky and this kid named Yawni breathing down my neck to add orders in faster, and get this, sell MORE. I mean for the love. Where is this next generation going? Times are changing. Sorry to rant but this Friday has me just ready to turn out the lights.

Just so I have this right, you’re upset that your product line is evolving and that you, a salesperson, have a sales goal that grows year over year?

My name is Darwin and I work for a light fixture company in Omaha. I just can’t keep up with the techy stuff they keep putting in my job to sell light fixtures to builders and custom home buyers. I’ma seller and I’ve done this for almost thirty years, fresh out of school. But now they got Becky and this kid named Yawni breathing down my neck to add orders in faster, and get this, sell MORE. I mean for the love. Where is this next generation going? Times are changing. Sorry to rant but this Friday has me just ready to turn out the lights.
There’s always Fedex or UPS.

Reactions: CatColumbia
giphy.gif

As a 61 year old "BOOMER", I feel your pain. I don't enjoy most technology other than the wonders of Quickbooks, Turbotax and the internet. It makes the 80 page tax return a little easier to stomach. My kid has the electronic door locks that he can unlock from his phone. Of course I own the house and can't get in without him using his app. We put in a state of the art security system with all kind of sensors in our house when we built it 12 years ago. Now you can get a completely wireless one for about a tenth of the cost, they work better and they're easier to use. My wife wants a kitchen faucet that all you have to do is touch it turn it on. When I visit our friends with one of the damned things I can never get it to shut off. What's so fricking tough about turning a lever? I can't keep up. Thankfully I have kids who do. Thank God I'll die soon.......

With lighting controls evolving to near impossible levels of complexity to understand, us electrical engineers and lighting designers need lighting reps and manufacturers to keep up with the evolving technologies. Keep up on the control aspect of the lighting industry and your job will be safe. We need someone with expertise to be able to explain these things to us and clients.

As a 61 year old "BOOMER", I feel your pain. I don't enjoy most technology other than the wonders of Quickbooks, Turbotax and the internet. It makes the 80 page tax return a little easier to stomach. My kid has the electronic door locks that he can unlock from his phone. Of course I own the house and can't get in without him using his app. We put in a state of the art security system with all kind of sensors in our house when we built it 12 years ago. Now you can get a completely wireless one for about a tenth of the cost, they work better and they're easier to use. My wife wants a kitchen faucet that all you have to do is touch it turn it on. When I visit our friends with one of the damned things I can never get it to shut off. What's so fricking tough about turning a lever? I can't keep up. Thankfully I have kids who do. Thank God I'll die soon.......
Exactly. I just replaced our older GPS unit in our car with a new one. Within a week I returned it and went back to the old one. You use a GPS to navigate to a location. My old one did that admirably. The new one had about 35 new “features and functions” that made it impossible to use. Especially if you need to change something while driving. I don’t need my GPS to order Chinese takeout for me....

Exactly. I just replaced our older GPS unit in our car with a new one. Within a week I returned it and went back to the old one. You use a GPS to navigate to a location. My old one did that admirably. The new one had about 35 new “features and functions” that made it impossible to use. Especially if you need to change something while driving. I don’t need my GPS to order Chinese takeout for me....

Honest question, why do you need a GPS? Can’t your smart phone handle that?

Well dingle, I wouldn't get ready to put dimes on your eyes just yet!!!

But I agree about QuickBooks and TurboTax. 86 page tax return?? Is that what you send in or what you put I your file?

Reactions: perkyhusker
Communism if your answer friend. Everyone gets a job, a ration card, and you don't have to worrying about innovation.

Last edited:
Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
Don’t have a smart phone. I live in the mountains. Smart phones suck for reception. I have to use a stupid flip phone instead
There's an episode on the Andy Griffith show where a salesman's car breaks down and he gets stuck in Mayberry (Man in a Hurry), when he tries to use the phone, he finds that two old ladies talk most of Sunday on the party line.

He talks about technology of the day and voices his displeasure over the whole situation, but in the end, he takes time to figure out that less technology and more laid back aren't that bad a thing.

There's an episode on the Andy Griffith show where a salesman's car breaks down and he gets stuck in Mayberry (Man in a Hurry), when he tries to use the phone, he finds that two old ladies talk most of Sunday on the party line.

He talks about technology of the day and voices his displeasure over the whole situation, but in the end, he takes time to figure out that less technology and more laid back aren't that bad a thing.
I loved that show.

Reactions: Bugeater
None of you are safe! Amazon is the only way to go.

U

I hear ya, bought a weatherproof, HD wireless camera/video with nightvison outdoor camera (no server) that attaches magnetically (one screw) for 60 bucks— and I don’t have to pay monthly fee

Reactions: dinglefritz
With lighting controls evolving to near impossible levels of complexity to understand, us electrical engineers and lighting designers need lighting reps and manufacturers to keep up with the evolving technologies. Keep up on the control aspect of the lighting industry and your job will be safe. We need someone with expertise to be able to explain these things to us and clients.
I hear you. Man, for the last five years or so, my boss had no idea what was going on with lighting controls to the point that he wouldn't even review anything related to it. Luckily he was great at all of the administrative and political stuff to make up for his lack of controls competence. But damn, the energy standards are just getting tighter and they've squeezed just about everything they can out of fixture efficiency, now the system sophistication requirements keep growing.

Reactions: HuskAir

Nice reference!

Reactions: Bugeater
newer is not always better... the upgrade can be worse than what preceded it. This happens quite often in many industries.

There isn't a single millennial that frightens me, but I'm a gen x.

Now that 8 year old on the playstation telling me I suck at call of duty, well.. he might actually be right.

I’m still laughing... and crying in agreement

I am a 55 year old software guy. Ready to retire in the next couple years. Our company is wanting to dive into AWS now. Seems cool but I don't really care about learning all about it at this stage of my career.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

Troll level: expert

The other day, my wife accidently touched something on my keyboard. The screen went upside down. Thankfully I was able to use her computer to google up the solution. Still ...

I watch Andy Griffith Show reruns every day. Funny and helps me relax after work.

Reactions: HuskerO
ADVERTISEMENT