ADVERTISEMENT

I saw growth from Frost last week

Oct 7, 2012
I have been pretty negative of Frost so far this year. But last Saturday was the first time in 4 years I remember thinking “he’s getting better at this”. Obviously this is coming from the eyes of an armchair / couch potato quarterback. But what I saw…

- He was even keeled throughout the game. When we had bad plays, I saw him more actively seeking out coaches and players (and presumably identifying solutions)… Instead of the dumbfounded looks and/or visible frustration

- He stuck to the game plan, didn’t abandon the run even though we weren’t very successful

- There were no excuses, no finger pointing in the halftime or post game interviews. He was focused on the details on what WE needed to do. After the game, his mind was already on what we need to accomplish to compete with Oklahoma.

- He coached his ass off up until the last second. With that option being overturned by the refs, he could have easily said, “10 seconds left, big fvcking deal”. But he was coaching aggressively, trying to get it reversed, making sure every single rep our guys got counted.

That’s the attention to detail we need from our head coach. We still have a long, long way to go. And I’m not expecting a miraculous turnaround this year. But it gave me hope Frost still can figure this out. If he grinds through this year and makes a bowl, I think you see him make some tough changes for the better.

What growth? SPecial teams were a disaster again. Run game still is not lead by the RB's. OL sucks.

Oh Toure scores 2 TD's and AM should have been sacked in the long run he had that lead to one of the other 2 TD's.

Show growth against P5 schools and then we can chat.

I’m not arguing the product wasn’t shitty. We still didn’t look like a good team. I’m just saying that SF seems to be learning / coming into his own with in game coaching. That’s some degree of progress.

The AD has spoken. But now he needs to get to a meeting with Trev to discuss who to hire from a list of Gus, Jamey, Jeff, Lance, Chris and any of his other close personal friends he is on a first name basis with.
Did I miss something from Trev? Or are you just speculating he has met with Frost about this

Body language matters. He's got to find that fine line where he's passionate and fired up but can then dial it in. Just watch Nick Saban. He's coaching like he himself is competing for something. He doesn't concede anything. Every detail matters.

The AD has spoken. But now he needs to get to a meeting with Trev to discuss who to hire from a list of Gus, Jamey, Jeff, Lance, Chris and any of his other close personal friends he is on a first name basis with.
Malzahn coming off a 21.4Million dollar buyout at Auburn, signed an 11Million dollar 5 year contract with UCF. I say the chances of him coming here is zero.
Even Tom Herman had a 15Million dollar buyout at Texas after going 32-18. Not advocating him as the new HC but at least he has a track record of success playing against the big boys. Pressure cooker at Texas just as hot as in Lincoln.
3 years as Offensive Coordinator/QB coach for Meyer at OSU, 2 good years at Houston, and then the 4 year gig at Texas.
We could do a lot worse.
Fire away.
By the way Tuco, I generally like your viewpoints.

Reactions: WHCSC
frost seemed kinda upset about something during the first on field interview after the game.
maybe it was that forward pass call he was arguing about right at the end.

that call did not bug me, nor the pick one...for years...decades... we have had ray charles and stevie wonder reffing games. you have to play above the bs calls..Nebraska always have had to...

and thats why you put games away after you go up by two scores, and don't take a siesta..so they can't kill you with a bad call at the end of the game.

the helmet one bugged me cause it was weird. but I just put that into the bad call category and you play above that..

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Malzahn coming off a 21.4Million dollar buyout at Auburn, signed an 11Million dollar 5 year contract with UCF. I say the chances of him coming here is zero.
Even Tom Herman had a 15Million dollar buyout at Texas after going 32-18. Not advocating him as the new HC but at least he has a track record of success playing against the big boys. Pressure cooker at Texas just as hot as in Lincoln.
3 years as Offensive Coordinator/QB coach for Meyer at OSU, 2 good years at Houston, and then the 4 year gig at Texas.
We could do a lot worse.
Fire away.
Herman should be on the official list

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Nonsense. Option plays don't work anymore...said so by some message board posters.
No what you were told is that a base offense of option football won't work in the Big Ten. That hurt your feelings and now you are taking what was actually written and going to the extreme.

So basically, if a team's base offense is option, the opponent will game plan for option, when your base offense is not option, there is very little time spent on defending option. So it could actually work as a sort of off speed pitch.

We could do a lot worse.
Fire away.
I think Herman got the raw end at Texas, he isn't who some of the power brokers wanted and they made his life hell, and forced him out. He was 32-18 and had 4 bowl wins, including a NY6 Sugar Bowl.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Herman was the next coach. I still prefer a defensive minded guy as the head man.

I’m not arguing the product wasn’t shitty. We still didn’t look like a good team. I’m just saying that SF seems to be learning / coming into his own with in game coaching. That’s some degree of progress.
Year 4 and worse results with better players suggests coaching keeps getting worse and worse every year.

I think Herman got the raw end at Texas, he isn't who some of the power brokers wanted and they made his life hell, and forced him out. He was 32-18 and had 4 bowl wins, including a NY6 Sugar Bowl.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Herman was the next coach. I still prefer a defensive minded guy as the head man.
Interesting. I was thinking if he can't dominate the Big12 excluding OU, than he won't anywhere else.

Herman spends more time at strip clubs on recruiting trips than he does actively working his job.

And he is a married man with kids. The best he can do right now is be an analyst for the Chicago Bears and their shitty offense.

We could do a lot worse.
Fire away.
Yeah, and Herman didn't deal well with the pressure cooker, so I'm not sure how that can be seen as a positive attribute for him. He was combative with the press from day one, anymore I see that as a sign of insecurity from a guy in over his head. Maybe he learned from the experience, but I'd rather let someone else roll the dice.

I have been pretty negative of Frost so far this year. But last Saturday was the first time in 4 years I remember thinking “he’s getting better at this”. Obviously this is coming from the eyes of an armchair / couch potato quarterback. But what I saw…

- He was even keeled throughout the game. When we had bad plays, I saw him more actively seeking out coaches and players (and presumably identifying solutions)… Instead of the dumbfounded looks and/or visible frustration

- He stuck to the game plan, didn’t abandon the run even though we weren’t very successful

- There were no excuses, no finger pointing in the halftime or post game interviews. He was focused on the details on what WE needed to do. After the game, his mind was already on what we need to accomplish to compete with Oklahoma.

- He coached his ass off up until the last second. With that option being overturned by the refs, he could have easily said, “10 seconds left, big fvcking deal”. But he was coaching aggressively, trying to get it reversed, making sure every single rep our guys got counted.

That’s the attention to detail we need from our head coach. We still have a long, long way to go. And I’m not expecting a miraculous turnaround this year. But it gave me hope Frost still can figure this out. If he grinds through this year and makes a bowl, I think you see him make some tough changes for the better.
And, down at the goal line, he finally put the QB under center in the I formation and had a lead blocking fullback! What a revelation Lol!

Herman spends more time at strip clubs on recruiting trips than he does actively working his job.

And he is a married man with kids. The best he can do right now is be an analyst for the Chicago Bears and their shitty offense.
Is that the best he can do, or just something to buy time until another job opens up?

What a guy does in his free time is not my concern. Strip clubs are filled with a bunch of married dudes. Who effing cares?

The biggest coaching issue he had at Texas, and it is something Frost struggles with too, is that he didn't always play his best players because of personality conflicts, or maybe a really talented guy wasn't always the best practice player. So he would rather play the guy with less talent and ability than the better player.

Reactions: scarletred
He's improved the football team, certainly the defense. The offensive line clearly is the weakest link, with special teams being right there with them. Those weaknesses are obvious. However, he is learning, improving, and gaining traction. Anybody who can't see progress, simply chooses not to acknowledge it. I still believe there is a place in the offense for a lead blocking fullback/H-back type. Often times we are 1 block away from springing 5-10 yard run, instead of the 0-1 yard gains we get now. Or line up in the actual shotgun, instead of the pistol, and read/option teams to death.

He's improved the football team, certainly the defense. The offensive line clearly is the weakest link, with special teams being right there with them. Those weaknesses are obvious. However, he is learning, improving, and gaining traction. Anybody who can't see progress, simply chooses not to acknowledge it. I still believe there is a place in the offense for a lead blocking fullback/H-back type. Often times we are 1 block away from springing 5-10 yard run, instead of the 0-1 yard gains we get now. Or line up in the actual shotgun, instead of the pistol, and read/option teams to death.
Frost doesn't spend any time with the defense. You realize that, right?

I understand what you are getting at, but what changes is that if you bring in an H-back or a Fullback, then the defense also brings another player into the box that you have to account for. So what ends up happening is that you are still 1 block away from springing a longer run.

I still believe there is a place in the offense for a lead blocking fullback/H-back type.
Debbie? Is that you? If not, I was wondering if you might be my mother in law who yells at the TV at least once per game, "Give it to the fullback!" And I always say, "There is no fullback." And then she acts like she's pissed off. This has been going on for years.

We could do a lot worse.
Fire away.
I like Herman

I like Herman
I'm ok with advocating herman as a hc if frost does please the masses.
houston is a good recruiting area....maybe frost can get him as oc...
so we have frosts florida recruiting and hermans texas recruiting.

I think we have a better chance with texas players not transferring then florida ones.
less distance and more incommon with texas. then florida.

Or the special teams, but everyone blames those shortcomings on him, right?
If the D was getting worse Frost would get the blame because he hasn't addressed a problem. By not making sure special teams are improved, he should be getting a lot more blame than he already does.

A head coach is responsible for everything that goes on in a college football program regardless if one is active in coaching up a position or either side of the ball.

thanks-obvious.gif

He did look a bit taller Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT