ADVERTISEMENT

I posted yesterday about the hype Scott Frost...

B1G RED RULES

First Team All-Big Ten
Sep 7, 2013
...was promoting and several mentioned is was my fault for buying in. They are right.

A lot of “talk” coming from the Huskers today. While I appreciate their spirit, I’ll wait for action - thank you very much.

...was promoting and several mentioned is was my fault for buying in. They are right.

A lot of “talk” coming from the Huskers today. While I appreciate their spirit, I’ll wait for action - thank you very much.
As a true Husker fan you are always looking for reasons to hope. I know I am. I was a huge believer and koolaid drinker before last season. I bought all of the hype about Tanner Lee and the revamped defense. I thought we would have a break out season. lol. It was a breakout season alright.

I think Frost is trying to instill a winning mentality in these players and trying reinvigorate the fan base. What good coach would come in and say "Well, we may not be very good this year. We are very weak at the following positions..."? Granted, you don't have to go to the other extreme either, but I would rather have Frost pumping sunshine into these players than walking around saying nothing.

I would rather have a coach like SF that believes his team is capable of winning and says it than someone that wants to temper everyone's expectations. We are all grown-ass men and women, we can make up our minds about buying into hype or not.

You know, it isn't just the coaches and team that needs a culture change, it is a lot of fans as well. We have also forgotten a lot about how to be decent fans and cry like little girls at every misstep. It is embarrassing watching some of the crap posted on here.

Jim rose had a great comment this morning and it's like I elaborated in another post, he said the local sports media pumped so much sunshine that frost was a miracle worker and we ate it hook line and sinker, I truly believe coach frost knew about the talent level wasn't there like we're being told he knows it's going to take a couple of years or more. I truly be coach frost is a great coach and yes some of the players you can see have vastly improved especially on the defense side. As for the o line number 1 yes you can coach a player up but just maybe these guys aren't buying into his system or just flat out don't care or there just not very talented. Remember when they started winter conditioning and these guys were so out of condition that they had to dial it back yes omg. And I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the intensity for the second half of Colorado to all of Troy especially the o line were flat just no fire

Honestly, I believed it would take until year three to get to a nine win season. Sometimes the purge of some juniors and seniors is what helps a program move forward. Hope I’m wrong.

Jim rose had a great comment this morning and it's like I elaborated in another post, he said the local sports media pumped so much sunshine that frost was a miracle worker and we ate it hook line and sinker, I truly believe coach frost knew about the talent level wasn't there like we're being told he knows it's going to take a couple of years or more. I truly be coach frost is a great coach and yes some of the players you can see have vastly improved especially on the defense side. As for the o line number 1 yes you can coach a player up but just maybe these guys aren't buying into his system or just flat out don't care or there just not very talented. Remember when they started winter conditioning and these guys were so out of condition that they had to dial it back yes omg. And I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the intensity for the second half of Colorado to all of Troy especially the o line were flat just no fire

So can you show me where Jim Rose wrote or said these things in August. You know before the team was 0-2? Is he on record saying that it was going to be a 4-8 season at best? I don't remember seeing that, or hearing about that.

Anything short of his words in a tweet or post of some sort or some audio of him stating that the local media was pumping up this team to be more than it is. Otherwise, to me, it's just your typical 20/20 hindsight from a guy with a platform.

Reactions: jlb321
So can you show me where Jim Rose wrote or said these things in August. You know before the team was 0-2? Is he on record saying that it was going to be a 4-8 season at best? I don't remember seeing that, or hearing about that.

Anything short of his words in a tweet or post of some sort or some audio of him stating that the local media was pumping up this team to be more than it is. Otherwise, to me, it's just your typical 20/20 hindsight from a guy with a platform.
I can't say, I just herd him on the radio this morning at work and thought he had a good point. That's all guess I won't ever bring him up since it hit a nerve, like I said I thought he had a good point noting more nothing less

I can't say, I just herd him on the radio this morning at work and thought he had a good point. That's all guess I won't ever bring him up since it hit a nerve, like I said I thought he had a good point noting more nothing less

You can bring him up all you want. I will just find it interesting if he had these same thoughts in August and July. Or was he pumping sunshine too. The point is we can all now see that we either over valued the short term effects of coaching or that the talent is worse than 4 top 25ish classes would normally provide a team. To come on a radio show and be Captain Obvious isn't really making a point, unless you are saying, remember what I said in July......

I would rather have a coach like SF that believes his team is capable of winning and says it than someone that wants to temper everyone's expectations. We are all grown-ass men and women, we can make up our minds about buying into hype or not.

You know, it isn't just the coaches and team that needs a culture change, it is a lot of fans as well. We have also forgotten a lot about how to be decent fans and cry like little girls at every misstep. It is embarrassing watching some of the crap posted on here.

Post of the month!

I think this year is an adjustment year (call it year zero). Next year our schedule is EASY! The only loss I see is Ohio State, assuming we make great progress.

Now back to this year, I would normally be very upset and critical after losing to someone like Troy but I'm not. I have total faith is SF and staff and I'm so excited for Saturday's challenge against Michigan.

I think this year is an adjustment year (call it year zero). Next year our schedule is EASY! The only loss I see is Ohio State, assuming we make great progress.

Now back to this year, I would normally be very upset and critical after losing to someone like Troy but I'm not. I have total faith is SF and staff and I'm so excited for Saturday's challenge against Michigan.

So here we go again, we should only lose one game next year. Talk about pumping. What do you base that on? The same things as this year? How did that turn out?

So here we go again, we should only lose one game next year. Talk about pumping. What do you base that on? The same things as this year? How did that turn out?
I’ll take a stab... weaker schedule, more mature players having been in the system longer, stronger players as well due to being in the weight room for 21 months instead of 9, frost himself said before that year 2 is where he expects the team to really make a leap...

I’m not claiming 12-1, but we will be much improved.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

PREACH. Somewhere along the way, a fair number of fans lost perspective. It is possible to both enjoy the game and enjoy analyzing it while also allowing it room to breathe.

This video accurately represents a good portion of our fanbase, except we aren't salesmen, we are Husker fans. And the pretty little pet is Nebraska football.

To come on a radio show and be Captain Obvious isn't really making a point......

2A5HOVaL_400x400.jpeg

"What??? You mean the last
30 years have been a waste?"

I don't care anymore what our expectations were for this season two or three months ago. Obviously, a lot of us, myself included, had unrealistic expectations.

I am more interested now in a more fundamental question. What is wrong with this team? Why are we 0-2? What can we do to try and salvage this season? How is recruiting going? How is player development going? Are we building a program for the long haul? Obviously, few of us thought we would win any kind of title this year. So I am done going through all of the "what ifs" about the first two games. Time to focus on Michigan and the rest of this season.

I am all for giving Frost all the time it takes. But once a coach signs on the dotted line for millions of dollars they own their teams record. We are 0-2 in very winnable games to this point. I do not expect miracles but I am hoping by years end I can say we are a better team in 2018 than we were in 2017. I haven’t seen evidence of that yet.

I am all for giving Frost all the time it takes. But once a coach signs on the dotted line for millions of dollars they own their teams record. We are 0-2 in very winnable games to this point. I do not expect miracles but I am hoping by years end I can say we are a better team in 2018 than we were in 2017. I haven’t seen evidence of that yet.
Well, we do seem better on defense.

Players gotta say something, people are paid to put microphones in their faces several days a week. Of course they are going to say that they're better than this and they'll rally back. We'd crucify them if they were like, "Yeah we're bad and we'll stay bad and I don't really even care, this is what we are at this point."

Scott got a little ahead of himself with tooting the horn on the hype train talking about this team being more talented than UCF was and being ready to "win now." If he had his crystal ball to know he'd be starting his #3 QB in the second game after having the Akron game cancelled I don't think he says those things.

He's probably right that they have better players than Year One UCF did, but the big fat catch is that they don't play in the conference UCF plays in. There are 3-4 games left on that schedule that you look at as maybe a coin flip if Martinez is healthy. They're staring down the barrel of a 2-3 win season here.

Reactions: mmunso7

I'm basing this on the expected improvement from year one to two. A big hurdle we need to overcome is learning how to win.. I hope we can establish that this year.

Heck, even Riley improved from year one to year two. During year two, we were 7-0 and were ranked #6 going into Madison, where we lost in overtime... Of course the wheels came off pretty fast after that. But my point is if we can learn to win, and clean up our turnovers and penalties, I can us winning 9 or 10 games next year.

Special
I agree . But I don’t think we are a better team right now. Hopefully we are by seasons end
yep. Special teams and offensive line play are a train wreck. Followed closely by stupid as shit penalties.
So overall it is about the same in terms of results.
I do have hope though. Our defense seems genuinely better and I think we have more playmakers on offense this year than last.

Reactions: jlb321
I agree . But I don’t think we are a better team right now. Hopefully we are by seasons end
A better team at the beginning of last year or at the end of last year. Because this team is LIGHT YEARS better than the October/November Huskers who gave up an average of 45.0 points and lost by an average of more than 3+ TDs per game the last two months of the season.

If fans forget HOW BAD we were last year, go back and watch. Then compare to what you see here. We still are having blown assignments and struggling to execute consistently, but given our small sample size, I'd say we are already better than at any point last year.

Reactions: bshirt73
A better team at the beginning of last year or at the end of last year. Because this team is LIGHT YEARS better than the October/November Huskers who gave up an average of 45.0 points and lost by an average of more than 3+ TDs per game the last two months of the season.

If fans forget HOW BAD we were last year, go back and watch. Then compare to what you see here. We still are having blown assignments and struggling to execute consistently, but given our small sample size, I'd say we are already better than at any point last year.

So the difference of being 120th vs 85th?

I see your point. But we just lost to Troy. So sorry.... I am hopeful we will not fall off the cliff like we did last year, but so far things have not been great.

I don’t split hairs about how bad a team is.

For me personally there is:

Bad- average- good - great.

We were bad last year and thus far we are still in the bad category. I was hoping for at least average

Reactions: GoBigRed666
it's the perfect storm, 4th string qb, can't use all the weapons, morgan, etc.. so oline gets overloaded. they start breaking down, next thing you know. there's trouble in river city. and the defense is getting taxed cause the offense can't put point on the board. then they start breaking down on 3rd and longs...
Martinez need to get in there and make thing happen to take the pressure off others. (and keep the dancing around getting hurt to a min.)

Several thoughts here:

- It's not your fault for buying in; most of us did/have. It is your fault if you thought a terrible team that was 4-8, (lucky to win 4, even) would be world beaters;
- You're right to wait for actions rather than words, but don't lose hope in the interim. Look for improvement week to week.
- Having said the above, we all get a pass on frustration with last week's performance. Those kinds of games have to stop, right now. Going forward it's not an unreasonable expectation to see a lot of the stupid stuff cleaned up, and at least forcing other teams to beat us, rather than assisting them in their effort to do so.
- Hopeful signs include Martinez, Washington, Bell, Barry, Honas, Bootle. Far better defensive play. Coherent offensive scheming. Strength and conditioning.
- Whatever you do, don't log in to this board on Saturday after a loss. Your faith in humanity will die. Give it till Monday.

We will be the team we want. We're at rock bottom right now. The good news is, uh, I forget. It'll be alright.

Poster said we weren't any better than we were last year.

You think this team is just as bad as last year's team?

Will let the season play out but I am not interested in nuanced discussions about which 4-8 or 5-7 team is less bad than the other.

Reactions: GoBigRed666
We simply were worn out; therefore, if we don't have another 2-3 players what do you expect.
We need 3 players behind starters, that are good.

Will let the season play out but I am not interested in nuanced discussions about which 4-8 or 5-7 team is less bad than the other.
I'm actually most interested in letting the season play out before we start trying to make assessments of the team. Given the difficulty of the schedule, using records to compare the two might fool you.

So, the only way you'll know if the team is better than last year is if this year's team, playing the second toughest schedule in the country, has a better record than the previous year's team? Or is there something else you're going to use to evaluate it?

All the talk about inexperience at QB is the most frustrating and pathetic excuses. Too many are giving the coaches a pass regarding roster management. When Coach Frost arrived we had Lee, OBrien, Gebbia, Martinez, Bunch, and then pretty quickly Vedral.

Through practice or one v one meetings it dwindled to nothing but Freshman, a walk on, and a kid that was ineligible to compete. Then one freshman left.

Roster Management is part of the gig. With the poor performance in this regard, Bunch is our backup/starter, not 3rd string, not 4th string. The excuse s should end. If there is fault In this plight, Frost owns it...and handling this differently was easier than getting an OLine ready/assembled in just 9 months.

I am 100% bought in to coach Frost as a coach here and think he will get it done here eventually, but we have heard numerous comments on how bad the prior staff did things and heard it again today in the press conference. We all know how bad that last staff was and how bad they were at doing things. It's time to stop bringing it up IMO. It looks bad and makes it look like he is using it as an excuse for the things that are going wrong. I am of the belief that it is your team and those mistakes are yours and it is your responsibility to fix it. I feel that way with Frost. I felt that way with Riley, Bo, Cally, etc. Although some of the discipline issues, turnover issues and special teams issues are concerning to me, I have faith that they will get those shored up and we will be a better team at the end of the year than we are now.

Reactions: jlb321 and schuele

So true!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT