ADVERTISEMENT

I miss real football.

huskerfan1414

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 25, 2014
Watching 1995 Florida State-Virginia.

Fullbacks. Running backs. Under center. Shotgun when needed. Play action, TEs.

Real grass.

Big Linebackers.

Big shoulder pads. Round helmets with standard facemasks. Hard hitting.

No attempt by the refs to make playing defense impossible. Teams being punished for not protecting QB and having him pass 55 times instead of coddled by the refs.

Not basketball on turf.

This has nothing to do with Nebraska glory days, (although I do feel part of frosts problem is trying to create a new game instead of playing a tried and true football scheme. Part of Iowas consistency is playing actual football, while they lack the recruiting to be elite.)

I just miss real football. That is all.

I think most people prefer the older style of play. I loved seeing the QBs just get absolutely wrecked trying to pass 40 times a game.

Reactions: Jhollenbeck41
Wouldn’t it be awesome to see us in the Paul Johnson double wing with LM and Wandale as the WB’s. Mills at FB.

• Love
Reactions: BleedRed78
Frost can’t coach the offense he’s ran for a decade basically, why does anyone think he or the staff would be successful coaching one they aren’t familiar with?

Me too. I predict football to evolve into something completely different in the coming decade or two: either professional flag football, or a violent game played by robots as humans are removed from harm by our "superiors".

Reactions: WHCSC and TFrazier
I agree, old football was so much better but going way back to nfl pre 1978 and pre rule changes that shifted it to a pass league. The nfl I watched in the 1970 up to 77 was bout as good as sports get, 11 guys vs 11 guys where each position was much more similarily important as oppossed to the totally QB centric game we have now.

Vince Lombardi made a comment once about football, he said it was nearly a perfect game with the one flaw was that the QB position was more important than the others, that comment could be amplied by 5 in todays game.

I would love to see 2 new leagues a new nfl where rules were geared to make it a running game similar to the old nfl

Also a diiferent nba where there was not a 3 point play where you had 5 on 5 with players of different skill sets trying to work together to get a teammate a high percentage shot.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Me too. I predict football to evolve into something completely different in the coming decade or two: either professional flag football, or a violent game played by robots as humans are removed from harm by our "superiors".

As long as it doesn’t resemble this classic. Yes, I owned it “back in the day.”

NZVR.gif

Im gonna disagree. Wasnt it Alabama vs LSU a few years back where Bama won 9 to 6? Ill take a high scoring affair any day. Unfortunately old football was having a very negative long term impact on guys that played. Football is a business and offense sells tickets and keeps players safer.

Watching 1995 Florida State-Virginia.

Fullbacks. Running backs. Under center. Shotgun when needed. Play action, TEs.

Real grass.

Big Linebackers.

Big shoulder pads. Round helmets with standard facemasks. Hard hitting.

No attempt by the refs to make playing defense impossible. Teams being punished for not protecting QB and having him pass 55 times instead of coddled by the refs.

Not basketball on turf.

This has nothing to do with Nebraska glory days, (although I do feel part of frosts problem is trying to create a new game instead of playing a tried and true football scheme. Part of Iowas consistency is playing actual football, while they lack the recruiting to be elite.)

I just miss real football. That is all.
I imagine there were guys saying the same thing in the 90s. A lot of people are nostolgic when looking at old games.

The reality is times change. Football has changed every decade since the inception.

It's ok to look fondly on tbe past but still enjoy today.

It's just different.

• Sad
Im gonna disagree. Wasnt it Alabama vs LSU a few years back where Bama won 9 to 6? Ill take a high scoring affair any day. Unfortunately old football was having a very negative long term impact on guys that played. Football is a business and offense sells tickets and keeps players safer.

Amazingly, that was 9 years ago, 2011, when many of our roster were in elementary school still.

Frost can’t coach the offense he’s ran for a decade basically, why does anyone think he or the staff would be successful coaching one they aren’t familiar with?
He knows Osborne's offense that he played in very well. Maybe he should install it in the future

• Love
He knows Osborne's offense that he played in very well. Maybe he should install it in the future

So did Solich, people continue to make the mistake that TO’s success was lines on paper, it was his feel for calling a game and the best run blocking OL in college football history.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I miss old school football too, running, tackling, blocking, shorter commercial breaks, old conferences and bowl games that meant something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT