ADVERTISEMENT

I love our o-line but ...

I think you hit upon it above - people are frustrated that it's Farniok's fourth year in the program and showing little sign of improvement. I don't think most people expect offensive linemen to be great right away, but with Farniok the die is cast.
He came out of a good high school program and his dad played in the league. He had a big time S&C program for a high schooler and he was already fairly well maxed out when he got to Lincoln. What you saw as a freshman at NU was about all he was going to be physically at NU IMO. Just the way it is. IF he could just line up and go straight ahead at his guy, he would probably hold his own. When he has to move his feet he struggles.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I really believe that not having a spring camp, summer workouts and a normal fall camp really hurt us more than some other teams. The teams that are playing well are teams that have older more experienced lines especially. Frost put HUGE emphasis on recruiting guys that could be here in the spring in part because he KNEW we needed immediate help. That extra camp would have helped guys like Piper and Benhart IMO. Then you add in all of the young RBs and WRs were trying to play and you get what we've got. No spring ball OR 7 on 7s in the summer sure as hell didn't help our QBs either. Developing timing with your WRs is a big deal and we totally missed out on that when the B1G banned them from doing anything.

Yes sir, that rings some difficult situation for HCSF that he really can't do much about it. Except to hang in there the best he can. Good points dinglefritz.....that does help a lot.

I think they are all probably good kids but Jurgens and Farniok both had pretty poor games on Saturday. In Jurgens’ case I think he’s playing out of position and can possibly be a difference maker if they move him to guard. In Farniok’s case, I just don’t think he’s very good...but that said...the best we got right now.
Are we better with farniok at center and jurgens at guard?
I’m not real high on farniok. Think he has a lot of heart, which I love, but also gets penalized and beat a lot.

Benhart is dominant but young. Watch him in 1-1 situations with any opposing team including Ohio St. Unless they guy stops trying he should be AA level by junior year. Frost should look for a junior college center or even check the transfer portal and move Cam Jurgens to guard. Corcoran should be able to start playing without wasting a redshirt.
Frost would be wise to try hiring a big name O-coordinator to help entice offensive skill recruits. And spend more time recruiting in Texas and the Midwest. Florida has a ton of talent but it doesn't stick around.

Benhart is dominant but young. Watch him in 1-1 situations with any opposing team including Ohio St. Unless they guy stops trying he should be AA level by junior year. Frost should look for a junior college center or even check the transfer portal and move Cam Jurgens to guard. Corcoran should be able to start playing without wasting a redshirt.
Frost would be wise to try hiring a big name O-coordinator to help entice offensive skill recruits. And spend more time recruiting in Texas and the Midwest. Florida has a ton of talent but it doesn't stick around.
He did take I think the best JC center this past year as a walk on right? Haven't seen him. The problem is that Frost has to have a really athletic center for his scheme to work. Jurgens a converted TE fits that to a tee....if he can just snap the damned ball. He's smart and athletic but it appears he gets too juiced up and just has mental lapses on his snaps.

I’m not real high on farniok. Think he has a lot of heart, which I love, but also gets penalized and beat a lot.
Farniok isn't really athletic enough for what Frost wants at center and neither is his little brother. I won't be surpised to see Will transfer after this year. He might get a shot if we would lose Jurgens again to an injury longer term.

Yes. They are the best we have.
They're the best we have who are physically ready to play. We've got some athletic O linemen who will show up next year IMO. Corcoran for one. A couple of converted high school TEs are going to compete for time.

Farniok gets singled out because he's so slow. He's our worst guy at getting to the second level and he fails often in pass pro. I'll give Piper a little bit of slack because he's so damned young to be starting in the B1G. I think Frost just got tired of Wilson's penalties. Farniok has had games where he's had 3 holding calls in one game I think. IMO, Frost decided to go with Piper because he figured it was a toss up with Wilson's penalties so he may as well get a young guy ready for the future. When Jurgens, Piper and Benhart are seniors, this O line is going to be salty IMO.
They're all terrible at getting to the second level and pretty much worthless there anyway. I've seen other guys fail way more often in pass protection. Jurgens never picks up the delayed blitz. Our tackles are really bad in pass protection. I don't know why you'd single Farniok out for that.

I think you hit upon it above - people are frustrated that it's Farniok's fourth year in the program and showing little sign of improvement. I don't think most people expect offensive linemen to be great right away, but with Farniok the die is cast.
The sad thing is nobody else is going to get any better either with our current coaching.

He came out of a good high school program and his dad played in the league. He had a big time S&C program for a high schooler and he was already fairly well maxed out when he got to Lincoln. What you saw as a freshman at NU was about all he was going to be physically at NU IMO. Just the way it is. IF he could just line up and go straight ahead at his guy, he would probably hold his own. When he has to move his feet he struggles.
Or he's had piss poor coaching while he's here and doesn't get any better just like all the other guys who haven't gotten any better due to poor coaching.

They're all terrible at getting to the second level and pretty much worthless there anyway. I've seen other guys fail way more often in pass protection. Jurgens never picks up the delayed blitz. Our tackles are really bad in pass protection. I don't know why you'd single Farniok out for that.
Jurgens is actually amazing at climbing to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th levels. Sure, he doesn't touch a single soul along the way, but my God can that dude climb

72Matthew AndersonOL6' 6"255 lbsSophomore 1VLeesville, Louisiana
73Broc BandoOL6' 5"310 lbs22Senior 3VLincoln, Nebraska
74Brant BanksOL6' 7"300 lbsSophomore 1VHouston, Texas
65Bladen BaylessOL6' 3"260 lbsFreshman HSBeatrice, Nebraska
54Bryce BenhartOL6' 9"295 lbsSophomore 1VLakeville, Minnesota
59Ian BoerkircherOL6' 6"260 lbsJunior 2VAurora, Nebraska
79Alex ConnOL6' 6"280 lbsFreshman HSDerby, Kansas
69Turner CorcoranOL6' 6"285 lbsFreshman HSLawrence, Kansas
71Matt FarniokOL6' 6"335 lbs24Senior 4VSioux Falls, South Dakota
68Will FarniokOL6' 3"295 lbsJunior 2VSioux Falls, South Dakota
78Jimmy FritzscheOL6' 7"275 lbsSophomore 1VGreenville, South Carolina
65Christian GaylordOL6' 6"310 lbs23Baldwin City, Kansas
75Trent HixsonOL6' 4"310 lbs21Senior 3VOmaha, Nebraska
76Brenden JaimesOL6' 6"300 lbs21Senior 3VAustin, Texas
51Cameron JurgensOL6' 3"285 lbsJunior 2VBeatrice, Nebraska
77Michael LynnOL6' 6"290 lbsSophomore 1VGreenwood Village, Colorado
71Keegan MenningOL6' 4"310 lbsFreshman HSFremont, Nebraska
66Ezra MillerOL6' 6"310 lbsSophomore 1VHolstein, Iowa
53Riley MosesOL6' 2"305 lbsSophomore 1VFairmont, Nebraska
63Nouredin NouiliOL6' 4"285 lbsSophomore 1VFirth, Nebraska
57Ethan PiperOL6' 4"300 lbsSophomore 1VNorfolk, Nebraska
70Matt SichtermanOL6' 4"315 lbs21Junior 2VCincinnati, Ohio
76Eli SimonsonOL6' 5"260 lbsFreshman HSFremont, Nebraska
62Noah StafurskyOL6' 3"330 lbsSophomore 1VYork, Nebraska
56Boe WilsonOL6' 3"300 lbs23Senior 3VLee's Summit, Missouri

Pick 5....

Are these current weights. If so you can eliminate about 7 immediately

If he can snap, he’s a better option at C IMO

Hope you’re not talking about this last game. He needs lots of work for someone in his 2nd year already. Might be too tall. Speed rushers eat his lunch. Athletes from OSU etc will key on him.

Farniok gets siingled out because he's usually the one who gets beat when our QB gets sacked. Jaimes has graded very well for his pass pro. You clearly have a vendetta against Frost and Austin. Time for you to go back to coaching Pop Warner....

Farniok gets siingled out because he's usually the one who gets beat when our QB gets sacked. Jaimes has graded very well for his pass pro. You clearly have a vendetta against Frost and Austin. Time for you to go back to coaching Pop Warner....
That said what can Austin hang his hat on? His snapper is the worst in FBS if not ALL of College FB (if not all of HS FB) and one of his two most veteran offensive linemen (Farniok) is average at best (most likely two notches below that). Not seeing great things that he’s done in his past couple of years. Respect your opinion but...just the way I see it.

Jaimes is not a good pass blocker. And everyone gets beat in pass pro, not just Farniok. There's no reason at all to single Farniok out.

Reactions: TheVegvisir
That said what can Austin hang his hat on? His snapper is the worst in FBS if not ALL of College FB (if not all of HS FB) and one of his two most veteran offensive linemen (Farniok) is average at best (most likely two notches below that). Not seeing great things that he’s done in his past couple of years. Respect your opinion but...just the way I see it.
I'm not hanging that all on Austin. Jurgens doesn't have the problem in practice. That has to get fixed or he needs to move to guard. Riley and Cavanaugh are to blame for the lack of quality depth on the O line. They left quite a few bodies on the roster but at most 3 legit B1G starters. Jaimes is legit. 2 guys who graduated were good linemen. Frost had no way of knowing that until he got to work with them in spring camp AFTER he was hired. So he's had 2 years to recruit for spots where guys normally need 3 to contribute. They started addressing O line in a big way that first full class. That doesn't fix the problem for several years....and no JUCO linemen weren't going to plug the holes. We've tried that before.

Jaimes is the only NU O-lineman who would sniff the field for a top 25-ish team. Most would be viewed as projects who might contribute down the road, while Farniok would be considered a fourth-year bust who once had a great offer sheet.

Jaimes is the only NU O-lineman who would sniff the field for a top 25-ish team. Most would be viewed as projects who might contribute down the road, while Farniok would be considered a fourth-year bust who once had a great offer sheet.
I think Benhart and Piper could be very good O linemen by the time they're done. Hell, Jurgens could too but there's no way we should expect 3 underclassmen to hold their own in the B1G right now. No way. Jaimes will very likely play in the NFL. I'll be shocked if he doesn't. Not because of my "analysis" but because of what people say who I'm quite sure know what they're talking about. They've either played or coached at a much higher level than "high school position coach".

Reactions: schuele
I really believe that not having a spring camp, summer workouts and a normal fall camp really hurt us more than some other teams. The teams that are playing well are teams that have older more experienced lines especially. Frost put HUGE emphasis on recruiting guys that could be here in the spring in part because he KNEW we needed immediate help. That extra camp would have helped guys like Piper and Benhart IMO. Then you add in all of the young RBs and WRs were trying to play and you get what we've got. No spring ball OR 7 on 7s in the summer sure as hell didn't help our QBs either. Developing timing with your WRs is a big deal and we totally missed out on that when the B1G banned them from doing anything.
This week should offer a good comparison. Both teams start 2 SR, 1 SP and 2 FR on their line.

Purdue’s current starting 5 oline came into this year with less experience than NU’s current starters (73 starts to 39). Purdue’s LT, C and RG had less starts than their NU counterpart. At LG and RT Purdue starts a RS FR and a true FR. So zero starts just like Piper and Benhart but still less experience for their RT who is a true frosh.

NU is supposed to have more talent too. Every one of NU’s starters rated higher than their Purdue counterpart coming out of high school. NU starts 3 former 4*’s and 2 former 3*’s. Purdue starts a 4*, 2 former 3 stars and 2 former 2*’s. NU’s 5 had a 247 average of .893. Purdue’s 5 had an average of .808. And yes Jurgens is a converted TE but is also the guy Frost said could be the 2nd coming of Rimington.

So this week, when looking at the two olines, we should expect see the more talented and more experienced NU line perform better against a Diaco defense than the less experienced and less talented Purdue line performs against Chins guys. I really hope NU is clearly better by a lot. They have the experience and talent, we should see the coaching and the “want to” shine through.

Very well said!! Yes, finally some words that are valid thoughts that go a long way! We are a young team that needs practice and games!! When Coach Frost explains this same thoughts, some people jump on him as excuses!! Another reason why he wanted replacement games for the Big 10 not starting!! But some wanted to jump on him and blast him for it! Both national and in the sacred Big 10!!

Very well said!! Yes, finally some words that are valid thoughts that go a long way! We are a young team that needs practice and games!! When Coach Frost explains this same thoughts, some people jump on him as excuses!! Another reason why he wanted replacement games for the Big 10 not starting!! But some wanted to jump on him and blast him for it! Both national and in the sacred Big 10!!
That is way too many exclamation points. Way, way too many.

I don't know why people are singling Farniok out.
He really didn't do too bad. I can kind of understand Jurgens because of the snapping issues, but he's also the best run blocker we have. If I had to pick one, I'd say Piper is the weak link. The real problem is no one can really impose their will and the blocking at the 2nd level is downright putrid. Also pass blocking is pretty bad all around.
I question your ability to see anything if you don't know why people are singling out Farniok.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT