Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
Piper - False Start
Cam - snapping issues
Farniok - gave up critical sack
Benhart - critical penalty
Jaimes - ???

Also, I could believe they put Cam back in once they yanked him? I am guessing it because they don't
have much confidence in Boe Wilson who played guard when Farniok moved to center.

And what is it you love about them? The hair? The big bellies? The slow foot speed? Seriously. This is the worst Oline we have had since Devaney set foot in Lincoln. Most of them would be outsmarted and get pushed around by the D-lines of several GPAC teams. That is no exaggeration.

And what is it you love about them? The hair? The big bellies? The slow foot speed? Seriously. This is the worst Oline we have had since Devaney set foot in Lincoln. Most of them would be outsmarted and get pushed around by the D-lines of several GPAC teams. That is no exaggeration.

Not the hair for sure. I am pretty sure they are all good hard working young men. Today was probably an exception, but often times we are not manhandled by opposing d-lines. For years I have been seeing safeties make a lot of tackles against us. To me, that means the fakes are not working.

Today however, #54 for Iowa was very good.

Reactions: headcard
72Matthew AndersonOL6' 6"255 lbsSophomore 1VLeesville, Louisiana
73Broc BandoOL6' 5"310 lbs22Senior 3VLincoln, Nebraska
74Brant BanksOL6' 7"300 lbsSophomore 1VHouston, Texas
65Bladen BaylessOL6' 3"260 lbsFreshman HSBeatrice, Nebraska
54Bryce BenhartOL6' 9"295 lbsSophomore 1VLakeville, Minnesota
59Ian BoerkircherOL6' 6"260 lbsJunior 2VAurora, Nebraska
79Alex ConnOL6' 6"280 lbsFreshman HSDerby, Kansas
69Turner CorcoranOL6' 6"285 lbsFreshman HSLawrence, Kansas
71Matt FarniokOL6' 6"335 lbs24Senior 4VSioux Falls, South Dakota
68Will FarniokOL6' 3"295 lbsJunior 2VSioux Falls, South Dakota
78Jimmy FritzscheOL6' 7"275 lbsSophomore 1VGreenville, South Carolina
65Christian GaylordOL6' 6"310 lbs23Baldwin City, Kansas
75Trent HixsonOL6' 4"310 lbs21Senior 3VOmaha, Nebraska
76Brenden JaimesOL6' 6"300 lbs21Senior 3VAustin, Texas
51Cameron JurgensOL6' 3"285 lbsJunior 2VBeatrice, Nebraska
77Michael LynnOL6' 6"290 lbsSophomore 1VGreenwood Village, Colorado
71Keegan MenningOL6' 4"310 lbsFreshman HSFremont, Nebraska
66Ezra MillerOL6' 6"310 lbsSophomore 1VHolstein, Iowa
53Riley MosesOL6' 2"305 lbsSophomore 1VFairmont, Nebraska
63Nouredin NouiliOL6' 4"285 lbsSophomore 1VFirth, Nebraska
57Ethan PiperOL6' 4"300 lbsSophomore 1VNorfolk, Nebraska
70Matt SichtermanOL6' 4"315 lbs21Junior 2VCincinnati, Ohio
76Eli SimonsonOL6' 5"260 lbsFreshman HSFremont, Nebraska
62Noah StafurskyOL6' 3"330 lbsSophomore 1VYork, Nebraska
56Boe WilsonOL6' 3"300 lbs23Senior 3VLee's Summit, Missouri

Pick 5....

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Jaime's is NFL talent for sure
Piper - False Start
Cam - snapping issues
Jaimes - ???

Also, I could believe they put Cam back in once they yanked him? I am guessing it because they don't
have much confidence in Boe Wilson who played guard when Farniok moved to center.
Jaime's is straight up NFL talent. We need several more linemen like him.

Why do you suppose Austin hasn't been successful getting some black lineman to Nebraska? Do most of the biggest athletic guys gravitate towards defensive line?

Piper - False Start
Cam - snapping issues
Jaimes - ???

The are better individually than as a group - which is a bad sign. Look back at the 1995 line and you'll see few great players individually but a stellar group. Synergy is the key at OL.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Piper - False Start
Cam - snapping issues
Jaimes - ???

Sarcasm?

Farniok and Jurgens repeatedly score failing grades and yet Frost plays them like they are Will Shields. If this is the best we have then we really are bad.
I'm not sure what the story is on Farniok other he must be the best we have. Jurgen's is the kind of athlete Frost wants at center. Jurgen's is playing just his second year at center with no spring and a screwed up fall camp. IF he can get his snaps under control he'll be very good IMO. Piper another soph is starting and Benhart a redshirt freshman. What do people expect in the B1G when 3 out of 5 O Line starters are underclassmen? We're asking a lot from those kids. The concern is whether or not there are guys who can step in for Jaimes when he moves on. Beyond that, I think we're building a really good base of young O linemen.

I think those young guys are really talented but man they're inconsistent at times. IMO, the problem NU has right now is the lack of talent in their upperclassmen in their O line other than Jaimes. Riley and Cavanaugh crapped the bed on O line recruiting those last 2 years other than Jaimes. Mike'l Severe called it from day one about Jaimes. He was his favorite O line recruit even though he wasn't ranked all that highly. He kind of gave a "meh" on the rest of the guys in that class and it has been proven out.

I'm not sure what the story is on Farniok other he must be the best we have. Jurgen's is the kind of athlete Frost wants at center. Jurgen's is playing just his second year at center with no spring and a screwed up fall camp. IF he can get his snaps under control he'll be very good IMO. Piper another soph is starting and Benhart a redshirt freshman. What do people expect in the B1G when 3 out of 5 O Line starters are underclassmen? We're asking a lot from those kids. The concern is whether or not there are guys who can step in for Jaimes when he moves on. Beyond that, I think we're building a really good base of young O linemen.

I think those young guys are really talented but man they're inconsistent at times. IMO, the problem NU has right now is the lack of talent in their upperclassmen in their O line other than Jaimes. Riley and Cavanaugh crapped the bed on O line recruiting those last 2 years other than Jaimes. Mike'l Severe called it from day one about Jaimes. He was his favorite O line recruit even though he wasn't ranked all that highly. He kind of gave a "meh" on the rest of the guys in that class and it has been proven out.
Farniok is exactly the same as Jerald Foster except not good at football.

Farniok and Jurgens repeatedly score failing grades and yet Frost plays them like they are Will Shields. If this is the best we have then we really are bad.
They very likely are the best we have. We already know this staff doesn't know how to develop players and that we're a really bad team.

Reactions: rrthusker
My issue is that it seems that the linemen aren’t always on the same page and they take plays off like farniok on the last play of the game you have to dig down deep and say to yourself I’m putting my guy on his ass hell I wouldn’t have been pissed if he held the guy and got called for it the main object is don’t let anyone at the quarterback. it also goes to every player, the receivers need the mind set I’m beating my guy and the quarterback let it fly I’d rather have Adrian throw a int deep in Iowa territory instead of not even attempting. frost needs to just let it fly stop second guessing yourself

Do you really think the young guys are talented??? If they were don’t you think they’d be playing??? Did you happen to notice who we beat out to recruit the tall slow foot guys? You won’t see any top 20 teams. Maybe some MAC teams and BiG schools or low Big 12.

Yep, unless there's a vicious, smashmouth OLine there's no way you're going to go 50-50 with the big boys. I thought we would have a vastly improved OLine this year but we haven't seen that yet. Developing my patience level is a rough damn business.

Piper - False Start
Cam - snapping issues
Jaimes - ???

I think they are all probably good kids but Jurgens and Farniok both had pretty poor games on Saturday. In Jurgens’ case I think he’s playing out of position and can possibly be a difference maker if they move him to guard. In Farniok’s case, I just don’t think he’s very good...but that said...the best we got right now.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Farniak, missed two keep blocks, 1 st one Huskers 2nd and 2 and Farniak let is guy get around him for a 2 yard loss and then on the screen pass Farniak didn't get the defensive guy blocked and he made the hit for another loss.

I think they are all probably good kids but Jurgens and Farniok both had pretty poor games on Saturday. In Jurgens’ case I think he’s playing out of position and can possibly be a difference maker if they move him to guard. In Farniok’s case, I just don’t think he’s very good...but that said...the best we got right now.
I don't know why people are singling Farniok out.
He really didn't do too bad. I can kind of understand Jurgens because of the snapping issues, but he's also the best run blocker we have. If I had to pick one, I'd say Piper is the weak link. The real problem is no one can really impose their will and the blocking at the 2nd level is downright putrid. Also pass blocking is pretty bad all around.

He really didn't do too bad. I can kind of understand Jurgens because of the snapping issues, but he's also the best run blocker we have. If I had to pick one, I'd say Piper is the weak link. The real problem is no one can really impose their will and the blocking at the 2nd level is downright putrid. Also pass blocking is pretty bad all around.
Three years is a long time to watch a guy get beaten like a drum.

Farniok gets singled out because he's so slow. He's our worst guy at getting to the second level and he fails often in pass pro. I'll give Piper a little bit of slack because he's so damned young to be starting in the B1G. I think Frost just got tired of Wilson's penalties. Farniok has had games where he's had 3 holding calls in one game I think. IMO, Frost decided to go with Piper because he figured it was a toss up with Wilson's penalties so he may as well get a young guy ready for the future. When Jurgens, Piper and Benhart are seniors, this O line is going to be salty IMO.

And Farniok is only the best we have right now because of his size and experience. I think we'll get an upgrade there in physical talent next year.

Reactions: Rick.Shaw
Yep, unless there's a vicious, smashmouth OLine there's no way you're going to go 50-50 with the big boys. I thought we would have a vastly improved OLine this year but we haven't seen that yet. Developing my patience level is a rough damn business.
I really believe that not having a spring camp, summer workouts and a normal fall camp really hurt us more than some other teams. The teams that are playing well are teams that have older more experienced lines especially. Frost put HUGE emphasis on recruiting guys that could be here in the spring in part because he KNEW we needed immediate help. That extra camp would have helped guys like Piper and Benhart IMO. Then you add in all of the young RBs and WRs were trying to play and you get what we've got. No spring ball OR 7 on 7s in the summer sure as hell didn't help our QBs either. Developing timing with your WRs is a big deal and we totally missed out on that when the B1G banned them from doing anything.

Reactions: dpnavy and bshirt73
Piper - False Start
Cam - snapping issues
Jaimes - ???

I wonder how many laps Frost will have them running at the next practice? Winking

• Haha
He just doesn't move his feet well at all. Steady guy but not athletic enough IMO.
I think you hit upon it above - people are frustrated that it's Farniok's fourth year in the program and showing little sign of improvement. I don't think most people expect offensive linemen to be great right away, but with Farniok the die is cast.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT