ADVERTISEMENT

I know I'm going to get roasted for this post.

illhawkdvv

Walk On
Sep 10, 2008
As you can see I'm an Iowa fan and I'm 81 years old which means I suffered through 17 years of loosing seasons and hiring coaches every few years. We hired what were to be people that could turn programs around and hero's that were old hawks. They all looked the same until HF and he was different. He didn't try to recruit player right away to fit his system. He took a defensive back we had made him QB and in two years we were in the Rose Bowl. Believe me the cupboard was real bare when he got here. I'm not trying to be a smart a--- but Frost just isn't the answer. Actually I wish for you guys he was. I lived in Omaha for three years in the early 60s and have many Husker friends. I tell people I went to a game with some friends in I think it was 1961 against N Dakota and the official tickets sold were 25.000 but 10'000 were in the stands.

was 25.000 but only 10.000 were in the stands.

As you can see I'm an Iowa fan and I'm 81 years old which means I suffered through 17 years of loosing seasons and hiring coaches every few years. We hired what were to be people that could turn programs around and hero's that were old hawks. They all looked the same until HF and he was different. He didn't try to recruit player right away to fit his system. He took a defensive back we had made him QB and in two years we were in the Rose Bowl. Believe me the cupboard was real bare when he got here. I'm not trying to be a smart a--- but Frost just isn't the answer. Actually I wish for you guys he was. I lived in Omaha for three years in the early 60s and have many Husker friends. I tell people I went to a game with some friends in I think it was 1961 against N Dakota and the official tickets sold were 25.000 but 10'000 were in the stands.

We all hoped Frost would be the answer but he’s just not what we thought he would be. I believe Trev has the stones to do what needs to be done. Keeping Frost around will be more of the same. This sh*t must stop. STEP UP TREV. Make the change. Enough already.

There are some that realize Scott Frost isn't the guy. There are some that can't imagine firing a former starting QB that won a national title and think it's a death sentence to fire him.

At the end of the day, being a college football head coach is a results-oriented profession, and you are judged based on your wins and losses no matter where you played college football.

The biggest problem Scott Frost has is his own ego.

I know Trev Alberts is letting the season play out and will announce the decision at the season's end. I'm pretty confident he is working behind closed doors on possible replacements though and will hire a person that believes in the rushing attack, good special teams, and good defense.

Sir, you come in here, you're respectful and you still show appreciation for a sport that you've enjoyed for a LONG time. Not speaking for the others, but someone would have to be a real jerk to dog you just because you're a Hawkeye fan. By the way, you are entitled to write "smart ass" if you choose.

Really though, for the new head coach, Trev really doesn't need to go beyond the names of Jamey Chadwell, Jeff Monken, Jeff Haffly, and Chris Klieman. Any of those 4 would win big at Nebraska.

In the end, it makes no sense in the world for any person to still think a head coach with 4 straight losing seasons, 5 losing seasons out of 6 years of being a head coach, and the worst-ranked recruiting class in the Big Ten, and the same mental, undisciplined, and disorganised football product on the field will somehow be successful wth just another 7 months worth of effort.

Every single head coach that had losing seasons early in their head coachign career that became great head coaches were always improving their teams from the first season, to the second season, to the third season and then a championship came. Barry Alvarez won a Rose Bowl in year 4. Nick Saban drastically improved the MSU program from what it was like when he took over before going to LSU. I can give outnless examples.

No college football head coach in the history of the sport has gone from 5 out of 6 seasons as a head coach as losing seasons and won at an elite level. Has never happened. Never. Never will either. You are either a damn good head coach or you aren't. Frost isn't.

Really though, for the new head coach, Trev really doesn't need to go beyond the names of Jamey Chadwell, Jeff Monken, Jeff Haffly, and Chris Klieman. Any of those 4 would win big at Nebraska.
I'm kinda thinking too many guys on here think SF will return, and despite the shitty 3+ years of SF, I'm not gonna be pissed if he retains him. None of us know what Alberts is thinking.

If the money guys want him here, he will be here. The same theory applies if they want him gone.

At the end of the day, I've been a Husker fan since '62 and I'd really like the program in the next few years to get back into the Top Ten area and regain some respect again.

When I was a kid, I talked a lot of shit about NU football, and I've been really silent for 2 decades. I miss the ole days.

In the end, it makes no sense in the world for any person to still think a head coach with 4 straight losing seasons, 5 losing seasons out of 6 years of being a head coach, and the worst-ranked recruiting class in the Big Ten, and the same mental, undisciplined, and disorganised football product on the field will somehow be successful wth just another 7 months worth of effort.

Every single head coach that had losing seasons early in their head coachign career that became great head coaches were always improving their teams from the first season, to the second season, to the third season and then a championship came. Barry Alvarez won a Rose Bowl in year 4. Nick Saban drastically improved the MSU program from what it was like when he took over before going to LSU. I can give outnless examples.

No college football head coach in the history of the sport has gone from 5 out of 6 seasons as a head coach as losing seasons and won at an elite level. Has never happened. Never. Never will either. You are either a damn good head coach or you aren't. Frost isn't.
You want me to give you Trev's cell #?

That 19th year with that 57-0 Week 2 loss on road there and the 58-13 November 8 loss on the road in WL need to be included or mentioned.

Otherwise, I appreciate you sharing your reflection. Like you, I have family, friends who are Huskers and once lived in Omaha myself.

Sir, you come in here, you're respectful and you still show appreciation for a sport that you've enjoyed for a LONG time. Not speaking for the others, but someone would have to be a real jerk to dog you just because you're a Hawkeye fan. By the way, you are entitled to write "smart ass" if you choose.
Io_a still sucks, though, right?

I'm sure a hawkeye fan wants to coaching carousel to continue to spin round and round......

but the plug in going to get pulled on that carnival ride, it's time to get back to NU football

• Haha
Reactions: farmrock
No need. Not going to go into why. that is for me to know and others not to know.
LOL. I have no clue what Trev's cell # is. I was hoping to pitch in a hundred bucks and solicit donations on this site to PAY someone to get anti that number so he can have a personal call with Trev.

At that time, I'm thinking Trev would reassure anti that he, Trev, is the actual, paid AD and WILL make any if needed, coaching change, regardless if anti approves or not.

Although I just did, I really don't care to belittle anyone that is expressing their opinion on this or any other site. But, collectively, we are treated as if we are dumb asses that just don't have the ability to bring cogent input on the subject.

Reactions: countrybob

Just the other day Trev was quoted in an interview saying: "I base all my important professional decisions on what alzheimers patients from rival fan bases post on free message boards."

3724b67d451ad6c55f421d619a622a1b.jpeg

I'm sure a hawkeye fan wants to coaching carousel to continue to spin round and round......

but the plug in going to get pulled on that carnival ride, it's time to get back to NU football
You know what I say? F$%# Iowa and everything about Iowa. He can go post his own shit on his own board. Yea they have been better than us for a while but still have never won shit. get lost.

I respect the fact that he didn't....and I liked his post as well...

I want to thank all of the Husker fans for the sportsman like replies. One thing I would like to straighten out is 99% of Iowa fans would love to see Nebraska keep Frost and not hire someone new. Let's face facts no one with the fan base stadium and all around advantages Nebraska has could possibly do as bad as Frost has done. Not trying to be a smart ass as you put it but him staying is the best thing the rest of the BIG could hope for.

I want to thank all of the Husker fans for the sportsman like replies. One thing I would like to straighten out is 99% of Iowa fans would love to see Nebraska keep Frost and not hire someone new. Let's face facts no one with the fan base stadium and all around advantages Nebraska has could possibly do as bad as Frost has done. Not trying to be a smart ass as you put it but him staying is the best thing the rest of the BIG could hope for.
Yes, other Big Ten coaches would like Scott Frost to remain as the Nebraska head coach since every single one of them in the Big Ten West has a winning record against Frost.

Great OP. Those 17 non-winning seasons prior to Fry had to be excruciating. And his first two seasons ran that streak to 19 seasons before Iowa was good.

In addition, Iowa was just as bad as Nebraska during the 1940s and early 1950s until Evashevki's teams won a couple of Rose Bowls. And then you have to go back to the Howard Jones teams of 1920 and 1921, led by Aubrey Devine and Duke Slater to find any big success here in Iowa City.

To compare, Nebraska had two non-winning seasons between 1900 and 1940, and one was during the pandemic-WWI season of 1918. We had zero losing seasons between 1962 and 2003, and just two from 2004-2014.

Iowa's legacy of failure is something that we'll need 50 more years to catch up with. Hats off for your patience and enthusiasm. Going to a game at Kinnick Stadium is a lot of fun, especially when the Hawks lose.

Good luck to all when the racism lawsuit finally goes to trial. I have a feeling Kirk will be winding down his career about that time, 2023.

Last edited:
Great OP. Those 17 non-winning seasons prior to Fry had to be excruciating. And his first two seasons ran that streak to 19 seasons before Iowa was good.

In addition, Iowa was just as bad as Nebraska during the 1940s and early 1950s until Evashevki's teams won a couple of Rose Bowls. And then you have to go back to the Howard Jones teams of 1920 and 1921, led by Aubrey Devine and Duke Slater to find any big success here in Iowa City.

To compare, Nebraska had two non-winning seasons between 1900 and 1940, and one was during the pandemic-WWI season of 1918. We had zero losing seasons between 1962 and 2003, and just two from 2004-2014.

Iowa's legacy of failure is something that we'll need 50 more years to catch up with. Hats off for your patience and enthusiasm. Going to a game at Kinnick Stadium is a lot of fun, especially when the Hawks lose.

Good luck to all when the racism lawsuit finally goes to trial. I have a feeling Kirk will be winding down his career about that time, 2023.
This was a beautiful.

Lets face facts. Nebraska is BY FAR the worst academic school in the conference. If you have a degree from this institution -best of luck learning how to complete the Denver omlette scramble project. I cannot imagine having a child enroll at this “institution.

Secondly - my goodness is your team a treat to watch. I almost fell off my couch on that punt return!

Rick,

UTEP Class of 1951

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78

The good news was "get off your fanny" help Bob Devaney showed up the next year. And as they say the rest is history.

Lets face facts. Nebraska is BY FAR the worst academic school in the conference. If you have a degree from this institution -best of luck learning how to complete the Denver omlette scramble project. I cannot imagine having a child enroll at this “institution.

Secondly - my goodness is your team a treat to watch. I almost fell off my couch on that punt return!

Rick,

UTEP Class of 1951
Warren Buffet says hello.

Reactions: Sinomatic

AbleFickleFirecrest-size_restricted.gif

Rick,

UTEP Class of 1951
AbleFickleFirecrest-size_restricted.gif

There are some that realize Scott Frost isn't the guy. There are some that can't imagine firing a former starting QB that won a national title and think it's a death sentence to fire him.

At the end of the day, being a college football head coach is a results-oriented profession, and you are judged based on your wins and losses no matter where you played college football.

The biggest problem Scott Frost has is his own ego.

I know Trev Alberts is letting the season play out and will announce the decision at the season's end. I'm pretty confident he is working behind closed doors on possible replacements though and will hire a person that believes in the rushing attack, good special teams, and good defense.
Heck, a HC that can get Special Teams up to just mediocre level gets 2-3 more victories over a SF led team.

Too much effort goes into dumb swing pass plays that go for nothing or negative yardage when more time should be spent on Kickoff and Punt coverage! Been that way for 4 years!

Rick,

UTEP Class of 1951
UTEP...lmao this dude knows all about winning big with dynasties, legacies, and all the great traditions! 🤣

Here I am again and wanted to say I watched Frost on TV and it reminded me of another thing that I think separates him from an great coach. He kept saying this player or that player didn't do this or that or kicked it wrong not mentioning himself. In all of the years HF and KF have been at Iowa I haven't heard them ever throw a player under the bus for any reason. They have always taken the blame. I believe this filters down into the locker room which hurts moral and ends up in early transfers. Just my opinion.

Reactions: dpnavy
Here I am again and wanted to say I watched Frost on TV and it reminded me of another thing that I think separates him from an great coach. He kept saying this player or that player didn't do this or that or kicked it wrong not mentioning himself. In all of the years HF and KF have been at Iowa I haven't heard them ever throw a player under the bus for any reason. They have always taken the blame. I believe this filters down into the locker room which hurts moral and ends up in early transfers. Just my opinion.
This is a tiresome Iowa meme designed to steer players away from Nebraska.

You need to listen to Kirk's comments and Scott's comments more closely.

One example, on Saturday, in a losing game, Frost was asked what happened on the key play of the game. He said the punter punted the ball the wrong way. Did he name the punter? No. Did he tell the truth? Yes.

On Saturday after the escape against CSU, Ferentz was asked about the personal foul against LaPorta and the Petras interception. Kirk said both hurt his team and that they'd work on the issue. Did he name the tight end and quarterback? No. Did he tell the truth? Yes.

At 65 years old (entering his last two or three years, though the racism trial may shorten that even more — see we can create damaging memes too), Kirk is a seasoned practitioner of "coach-speak." He has learned to use the pronoun "we" better than Frost has, but what's the difference between saying, "Petras shouldn't throw interceptions" after another spectacular Petras blunder and "We shouldn't throw interceptions"? No difference other than a proper noun vs. a vague pronoun. Yet everybody knows about whom he's talking.

Should Frost have said "WE should have punted it right instead of left"? Would that soothe your soul?

It's "morale," not "moral." And you know what destroys morale? Twenty years of hiring and coddling overt racists on your coaching staff and getting sued by numerous players because of it.

Is Kirk a better coach than Scott? Absolutely. Is he a better person? Nope.

Here's my opinion: Go Terps!

That's nice. Another thing that reminds me of how the Nebraska and Iowa programs are separated from one another, is that I heard Iowa players have been given a bunch of shit from former coaches, under Kirk Ferentz, for things related to their culture.

In all my years watching the Cornhusker program operate I've never heard any of Nebraska's coaches doing that.

I think that filters down into the Nebraska fans regard for Iowa fans opinions about anything regarding the Cornhusker program.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: 9and4
That's nice. Another thing that reminds me of how the Nebraska and Iowa programs are separated from one another, is that I heard Iowa players have been given a bunch of shit from former coaches, under Kirk Ferentz, for things related to their culture.

In all my years watching the Cornhusker program operate I've never heard any of Nebraska's coaches doing that.

I think that filters down into the Nebraska fans regard for Iowa fans opinions about anything regarding the Cornhusker program.

Just my opinion.
But he's 81. We're supposed to be nice to visitors.

It is too bad that Kirk's tenure will probably end in the next three years because of that coming racism trial. All that momentum in the program gone. If I were a high school junior or senior, there's no way I'd go to Iowa knowing that the 2023 season will be overshadowed by the racism trial that will probably end Ferentz's career. (See how easy that is?)

I knew if I stayed long enough the nice fans would go underground. Meant no disrespect and hope Frosty stays for at least a couple more years. KF will leave when he wants to.

I'm sure you are. But I'm surrounded by concern trolls like yourself who seem to be worried about what a bad person Frost is and "how could anybody play for him?"

On your way out, contemplate which of the two coaches has been named in a lawsuit alleging a pattern of racist behavior by his coaching staff.

Be well, but save your opinions for the gang at the Hamburg #2 or down at George's.
First of all, I was referring to the older gentleman. Second of all, find where I said what a bad person Frost is and how could anybody play for him. Good luck finding that, or anything like that I wrote.

Thirdly, feel free to check any of my 154 posts on here and see if the word KF or Iowa appears in any single one. They don't.

Lastly, you don't know anything about me.

If being respectful to someone much older than me is being a concern troll, then I guess I qualify. Now you can take your opinion of me and do with it what you will. I'm not on this public forum to argue, I can and will express my opinion, with or without your approval.

Have a good day and the answer is 13.

Reactions: Hawkman34 and 9and4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT