ADVERTISEMENT

I just saw easily the dumbest movie I have seen in the last decade....

Hoosker Du

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2001
Colin Firth, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are an Academy Award winning actor. I know both Samuel L. Jackson and Michael Caine will take ANY role, regardless of how horrid the script is, but what caused you to include yourself in "Kingsmen: The Secret Service" is beyond my imagination. The director must have had photos of you with a hooker.

Also pretty disappointed that Bryan Ferry allowed a Roxy Music song to be a part of the closing credits. I know movies are for our imaginations to run wild, but this movie had very little imagination, ripped off the 007 Bond flicks, and was simply a stinker.

This post was edited on 3/9 1:45 AM by Hoosker Du

Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:
America disagrees with you, as do I. Loved it.
I loved it too, but I'll admit the movie isn't for everyone. Over-the-top cartoony violence, plus the punchline in the end...

At least it's not the same old boiler-plate action movie like your run-of-the-mill summer movie.

Looks good to me. I want to see it
74% on rotten tomatoes.

Really liked it too. I don't think it "ripped off" the Bond movies so much as it paid homage to them. Not for everybody for sure, but not anywhere near the dumbest movie in the last decade from my point of view.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Yup liked it as well. If this is the worse movie you have seen I would like to know the quality of movies you are comparing it to cause there have been some pretty bad ones over the years. Just not this one.

Foxcatcher has to be worse. My wife RedBoxed that waste of two hours on Saturday. Worst two hours I've seen in a long time, and that includes 50 Shades that I took her to on Thursday. To top it off she forgot to return it yesterday so we are charged for another day.

Originally posted by Hoosker Du:
Colin Firth, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are an Academy Award winning actor. I know both Samuel L. Jackson and Michael Caine will take ANY role, regardless of how horrid the script is, but what caused you to include yourself in "Kingsmen: The Secret Service" is beyond my imagination. The director must have had photos of you with a hooker.

Also pretty disappointed that Bryan Ferry allowed a Roxy Music song to be a part of the closing credits. I know movies are for our imaginations to run wild, but this movie had very little imagination, ripped off the 007 Bond flicks, and was simply a stinker.

It was an amazing movie... probably one of the greatest I've ever seen.

Originally posted by Cornicator:

It was an amazing movie... probably one of the greatest I've ever seen.
LOL! I think I can detect sarcasm.

Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:
America disagrees with you, as do I. Loved it.
Uh sorry, but America didn't "love" this flick. They rated it in the 70 range, which is still a D in my book. And the critics didn't either. Rated it in the 50s and 60s. That's an F.

I thought "Kick Ass" (same director) was pretty entertaining, and I understand this flick was spoofing James Bond movies, but it just went completely off the rails the 2nd half of the movie, and my eyes glazed over. I also thought the scene at the church was enough for me to strongly consider leaving. The Kill Bill movies were ridiculously over the top, but they did so without completely alienating the viewer, and without causing people to lose interest. 5 minutes straight of gratuitous violence in a church just didn't need to be done.

The responses in this thread just make my jaw drop. It's as if the entire board has been anesthetized.

Originally posted by gcadays99:
Yup liked it as well. If this is the worse movie you have seen I would like to know the quality of movies you are comparing it to cause there have been some pretty bad ones over the years. Just not this one.
You are right. I pay pretty close attention to what a movie offers before going in. I watch the trailers, because I don't like to waste 2 hours, 2,000 calories on popcorn and Cokes, and 35-40 bucks. I don't see many stinkers, because I do my homework. I made a mistake and obviously left my books at school on this one. It sucked..

This post was edited on 3/9 3:56 PM by Hoosker Du

Re: How about 'Whiplash'?

Originally posted by Catch50:

Just saw it and LOVED it!
Whiplash was very good. Being a drummer, I liked it that much more. :)

The church scene was all about ultimate mind control. They just completed the act till one was left.

Originally posted by red rover 70:
The church scene was all about ultimate mind control. They just completed the act till one was left.
Don't try to turn a ridiculous premise into high-brow viewing. We're talking about a movie whose main plot is a billionaire tree-hugging terrorist giving away millions of free sim cards, so he can cause people to turn against each other in a sort of medieval population paring. All in the name of minimizing our impact on the earth's ecosystem. Sigh..

Read that plot description again and tell me that any person above the age of 14 should be plunking down their dough to watch this ridiculous farce! I call it the 'Marvels Effect.' Every studio in Hollywood sees the huge market of infantile minds, and by damn, they are going to come out with their own mindless special effects p.o.s. movie and capture their piece of the pie.

People need to stop paying to see garbage like this, because it's the only way we'll get better movies.

This post was edited on 3/10 2:25 AM by Hoosker Du

Don't try to turn a ridiculous premise into high-brow viewing. We're talking about a movie whose main plot is a billionaire tree-hugging terrorist giving away millions of free sim cards, so he can cause people to turn against each other in a sort of medieval population paring. All in the name of minimizing our impact on the earth's ecosystem. Sigh..

Read that plot description again and tell me that any person above the age of 14 should be plunking down their dough to watch this ridiculous farce! I call it the 'Marvels Effect.' Every studio in Hollywood sees the huge market of infantile minds, and by damn, they are going to come out with their own mindless special effects p.o.s. movie and capture their piece of the pie.

People need to stop paying to see garbage like this, because it's the only way better movies will start being made.
You laid it out beautifully and i liked the movie.

He got to F an actual princess up the A, enough said the movie was awesome and hilarious. Also Sam Jacksons Mike Tyson Routine was great.

Originally posted by elvis1403:
He got to F an actual princess up the A, enough said the movie was awesome and hilarious. Also Sam Jacksons Mike Tyson Routine was great.
In a cell no less... :D

Originally posted by mwulf:
Birdman was the worst movie I saw all year
Was going to point out that when I posted I liked Birdman, there were plenty that didn't. And its ok.....that's the beauty of it all. Different strokes for different folks.

So Du, there really is no need to blast people that liked the movie. Not everyone goes to movies to watch oscar award winning performances....sometimes you just need to escape reality for awhile even if its just to laugh at some stupid stuff.

The Interview is a good example. Dumb. Stupid. Can't believe they spent money to make it. Laughed my arse off watching it.

People need to stop paying to see garbage like this, because it's the only way we'll get better movies.

I see. So if we liked the movie, we have infantile minds. Gotcha. I appreciate being told what I should and should not watch, particularly in such a polite and tactful way.

The worst movies I have seen were both on dates in the mid 90's.? : Dying Young (did not walk out but wanted to), and the Brady Bunch movie (did walk out).

I do not get into superhero movies in m adulthood so they don't count.

Originally posted by huskerbux:
Originally posted by mwulf:
Birdman was the worst movie I saw all year
Was going to point out that when I posted I liked Birdman, there were plenty that didn't. And its ok.....that's the beauty of it all. Different strokes for different folks.

So Du, there really is no need to blast people that liked the movie. Not everyone goes to movies to watch oscar award winning performances....sometimes you just need to escape reality for awhile even if its just to laugh at some stupid stuff.

The Interview is a good example. Dumb. Stupid. Can't believe they spent money to make it. Laughed my arse off watching it.
I enjoyed Birdman as well. Not to the level that I liked other movies, but I still felt good about seeing it. That's the difference to me.

I completely get it. There are movies that are intentionally ridiculous, and the creators get it. "Something About Mary" is one of those movies. The Ferrelly brothers know that it is a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.

In the case of this flick, I don't think the creators wanted this to be a movie that didn't take itself at least somewhat seriously. They poked fun at themselves, but not to the point where they didn't have conviction in the plot. But it went so overboard that it ceased to have theatric value. That's when I get irritated. When the bounds are pushed so much that it becomes ridiculous. I chew myself out for spending the time and money on something that's not redeeming in any way.

It didn't make me laugh much...didn't make me think much...and it didn't stir any emotions. Three signs that I wasted 2 hours of my time.

Originally posted by avhusker:

I see. So if we liked the movie, we have infantile minds. Gotcha. I appreciate being told what I should and should not watch, particularly in such a polite and tactful way.
Thanks. I always try to keep it polite and 'respectful.'
wink.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT