ADVERTISEMENT

I hope the rumored of assistant possibilities are true

You can be sure that if Frost is the head coach he will only hire people that he is familiar with and already has a connection. Don't look for any splash hires just because of they are big names (eg. like Diaco under Riley). Frost knows chemistry and teamwork on his staff is the most critical thing and NOT individual star power.
Did he tell you that?

Reactions: HuskerDana
While I hope it's true, I wonder how it could have happened so quickly, especially when both teams were in the thick of a conference title race. I don't know how the conversation and decision could happen so quickly from both ends.
But if it's true hells yeah
Yeah exactly what I said too. We shall see. Then the 2 glue-eaters ITT will be able to crow.

Reactions: scorcher2
Lupoi is a stud, one of the top recruiters in country. Was investigated by NCAA 3 years ago for giving 5000 to a family for their sons tutoring services in order to get him into UW. He gave the money, but switched schools and the NCAA decided not to punish.

Just stop. It wouldn't be the first time he has "broken" some interesting information. Bury the hatchet.
That’s kind of the approach I’m taking for now. It was nice, for once, to have a consensus on the board - Riley needed to go.

But we all knew that would be short-lived, and peoples’ agendas would come back to the surface.

how bout we hire him first before we talk about what coaches he may bring with him. just some food for thought, it isn't official yet and until we all see the name SCOTT FROST on the dotted line let's stop with the shit.

how bout we hire him first before we talk about what coaches he may bring with him. just some food for thought, it isn't official yet and until we all see the name SCOTT FROST on the dotted line let's stop with the shit.
Oh. Ok. Meanwhile we will have 38,000 threads from people jerking off to the thought of him coming home..... because that is WAY different.

Reactions: scorcher2
Riley got castrated on here for doing as much.
Riley's mistake is that at first he hired people who were NOT good coaches. AND he should have known better since he was familiar with them. Then to compensate he hired people (Diaco) who did not mesh with the rest of the team. Both of those moves led to his downfall.

There's nothing wrong with hiring people you are familiar with IF you know they are the best coaches. The mistake would be hiring friends that are losers.

Reactions: Sinomatic
While it’d be pretty awesome to reel those two in, I’m not sure in what fashion it would be and why they’d even leave Bama.
Tosh seems to do more recruiting than coaching at Bama and makes just under a million as an outside LB coach.
Is he wanting to spread his wings and trying to become a DC?
Ansley was born and raised in Alabama and has been at Bama as a GA and now as the DB coach. No clue what his motive would be for leaving unless Saban treats him like garbage like Saban treated Kiffin.

While it’d be pretty awesome to reel those two in, I’m not sure in what fashion it would be and why they’d even leave Bama.
Tosh seems to do more recruiting than coaching at Bama and makes just under a million as an outside LB coach.
Is he wanting to spread his wings and trying to become a DC?
Ansley was born and raised in Alabama and has been at Bama as a GA and now as the DB coach. No clue what his motive would be for leaving unless Saban treats him like garbage like Saban treated Kiffin.
Saban treats everybody like garbage. Go back and read some of the stories from his former pro players. People are just a means to accomplish his goals and I suspect he treats his assistants the same way.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Then to compensate he hired people (Diaco) who did not mesh with the rest of the team.
When you say "he" you mean not Riley.

There's nothing wrong with hiring people you are familiar with IF you know they are the best coaches.
It would be nice if people listed position coaches Riley should have hired instead. Not saying Riley hired the right guys, but I would be interested to know exactly who he should have hired in 2015?

I'm getting off track. Whoever our new coach is (I'm hoping Frost) I hope the AD and Boosters let him pick his guys and let him run his program. No more meddling.

Oh, I just heard it was because he hired his friends.

*Disclaimer; I really hope we do get Frost, but the double standard is pretty funny.

Had his "friends" been actual good hires do you think there would have been disgruntled fans? Maybe, but probably not as many compared to what we saw. I never saw it as people being worried about nepotism but more so hiring a bunch of coaches that were on the verge of being fired at Oregon St. If Frost brings in a bunch of his UCF assistants are you telling me you don't see the difference? Had Oregon St been good, instead of terrible the last few years under Riley I doubt there would have been much heartburn. Unfortunately, those who had the heartburn were right...Langsdorf/Banker/Read/Cavanaugh proved to be terrible hires.

Reactions: Sinomatic

It would be nice if people listed position coaches Riley should have hired instead. Not saying Riley hired the right guys, but I would be interested to know exactly who he should have hired in 2015?

I'm getting off track. Whoever our new coach is (I'm hoping Frost) I hope the AD and Boosters let him pick his guys and let him run his program. No more meddling.
We saw what happened on D this year when "Riley hired" guys he had no experience with. On top of that "he" hired a DC who ran a system that NONE of the defensive staff had ever coached before.

If Frost brings in a bunch of his UCF assistants are you telling me you don't see the difference?
Of course there's a difference. But what if Frost isn't successful here? Should he have brought in his friends who had only coached 2 years at a non-Power 5 conference?

Unfortunately, those who had the heartburn were right...Langsdorf/Banker/Read/Cavanaugh proved to be terrible hires.
I don't think Banker was a bad hire. He made big improvements from year 1 to year 2. We'll never know what year 3 could've been (I'm thinking Riley would still be here if Banker wasn't canned). Reed (and Hughes) was dealt with quickly. Cav and Langs did prove to be bad hires.

That's a lot of bad hires. For a guy that's been way around the block.
Possibly. Depends what your definition of "a lot" is. Also, I don't follow every team to know his assistant coaches are retained or not.

I believe James Franklin made just as many assistant coaching changes at PSU his first few years.

Really hope that we give SF all the resources ($$$) he needs to build the staff that he wants. This hiring process is as much about SF as it is his assistants.
We did for Riley. I'm sure we'll do the same and then some for Frost.

We saw what happened on D this year when "Riley hired" guys he had no experience with. On top of that "he" hired a DC who ran a system that NONE of the defensive staff had ever coached before.
His D-line coach PLAYED a 3-4 in the NFL for years

Which makes it even more moronic that he hired Banker in the first place as opposed to moving to a 3-4 from the start and hiring coaches who could actually implement the 3-4. Maybe he thought the ole "this is really my first year" was going to actually work out for him in year 3. Not so much. Either way...how did hiring his guys who he has had experience with work out on offense?

Of course there's a difference. But what if Frost isn't successful here? Should he have brought in his friends who had only coached 2 years at a non-Power 5 conference?

I don't think Banker was a bad hire. He made big improvements from year 1 to year 2. We'll never know what year 3 could've been (I'm thinking Riley would still be here if Banker wasn't canned). Reed (and Hughes) was dealt with quickly. Cav and Langs did prove to be bad hires.

That's obviously up in the air...is Frost the next coach at Nebraska? If so...I have no idea who he brings in. I don't think you are comparing apples to apples though. Again, Riley brought in a bunch of guys that were on the verge of being fired at Oregon St. The negative press on guys like Langsdorf/Banker were out there for all to see. I have yet to see that in regards to any UCF assistants. That doesn't mean they will turn out to be great hires....but they certainly won't come in with the baggage that the Oregon St guys did.

Riley practically brought in a staff he was familiar going .500 with.

Maybe he thought it would work out at a higher profile venue.

I thought his biggest mistake was bringing Banker in the first place. I thought he would try a fresh guy at the outset.

The issue is simply that you hire very competent coaches you are familiar with and who will have good chemistry as a team. Think of it as a very extended interview or an apprenticeship. You don't hire friends just because they are friends - that's the mistake. You hire the best people you already know because you are sure of their abilities and teamwork. They should not be "mercy or nepotism" hires.

Riley got castrated on here for doing as much.

Riley’s crew had a long track record of mediocrity (did they ever go 11-0 or win a conference championship?- yes I know the AAC<Pac10); Frost’s crew,we don’t know as much- they play exciting football and win. So that’s why everyone is probably a little more accepting. Hopefully 4.6.3.1 is right and Frost brings the best of the best- whomever that is...

His D-line coach PLAYED a 3-4 in the NFL for years
but never coached it. From what I saw, our D line was not our biggest problem. Their job description in Diaco's 2 gap system didn't help them. They looked like they sucked just like our D line sucked under Bo's 2 gap system once Suh and Crick were gone.

Fine. Heard Lupoi and Ansley, from the same guy that told me about Philly. Now you can call me out in a few weeks if it isn't true, or you can keep insulting and bitching like normal.
Now, back to your knuckle dragging, simpletons.

Heard that Miss St interviewed Jeremy Pruitt...likely that Nebraska will be competing with Miss St if Pruitt wants to bring Lupoi along or Alabama if Saban wants to promote him.

Which makes it even more moronic that he hired Banker in the first place as opposed to moving to a 3-4 from the start and hiring coaches who could actually implement the 3-4. Maybe he thought the ole "this is really my first year" was going to actually work out for him in year 3. Not so much. Either way...how did hiring his guys who he has had experience with work out on offense?
The offense was no where near as terrible as the defense....which isn't saying much. Last year's team won 9 games. Banker and his defense while not good enough did some things okay. I don't think Diaco was his idea. Changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 may not have been the worst move but hiring a 3-4 coordinator when NONE of his assistants had ever coached it was in hindsight a huge mistake. Losing Bobby made it even worse IMO. The only success Diaco had as a DC was with Bobby on his staff in some capacity.

Moos has been quoted as saying that he hires the coach and the coach hires his assistants and he stays out of that. That is the way it is supposed to work in spite of the "rumors" otherwise. This is a message board and sometimes reality doesn't play well with conspiracy theories.

Reactions: HuskerO
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT