ADVERTISEMENT

I have a legit question. Does Satterfield know how to run the ball?

HuskerOH

Senior
Dec 4, 2007
El Ranchito Dominican Republic
I know nothing of his past except a few SC fans who was happy to see him leave. After watching his game plans this year, he runs it when the plays are scripted then bails on it after that. Running the ball is a mindset and takes patience. By the second quarter it is almost extinct. Great for DR padding his stats but horrible for future games.

I may be wrong, and probably am, but this team does not know how to force their will on any team.

I know nothing of his past except a few SC fans who was happy to see him leave. After watching his game plans this year, he runs it when the plays are scripted then bails on it after that. Running the ball is a mindset and takes patience. By the second quarter it is almost extinct. Great for DR padding his stats but horrible for future games.

I may be wrong, and probably am, but this team does not know how to force their will on any team.
We ran the ball in the second half. Some of it is figuring out what the D is doing and adjusting to it. We were moving the ball but couldn't finish drives for TDs. DR has the ability and the authority to audible out of run plays at the LOS. I wonder how many of our pass plays started out as run calls from the OC.

We rushed 32 times and passed 26 times yesterday. Not sure why this question is constantly asked….

I think we have one back who can consistently create successful running plays when the line provides minimal or no holes and that is EJ. I hope he has moved up the depth chart after yesterday. Another year of Pipeline-lite is probably more the problem than OC play calls.

But I also acknowledge that in the “glory days” the running game often required two or three quarters to wear down the opposition and we certainly don’t run enough to wear down anyone. But we also have a great young passer to ride and TO never had one as skilled as Raiola. (Maybe Ferragamo and Berringer were close.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Truewooper
You bring up a good point but I think we’ve been pretty balanced overall with the play calling. My complaint is we dont ride with one back enough.

Sadly we don’t have a good enough line yet to open lanes for the running backs.. They can’t even be counted on to get one yard. In many 3rd and 1 situations they piss down their pants and false start

I guarantee rhule told satt to get under center in the second half and go downhill.

Satt knows how, he just overthinks it. He has a host of plays that are designed to work after the defense stops the traditional run game. The problem is he skips step one and forgets the traditional run game.

OCs can be this way. They overthink it or too quickly assume that they wont be able to run basic plays effectively, because if it isnt a genius play its “easy” for the defense to stop. Sometimes they out think hemselves.

I think we have one back who can consistently create successful running plays when the line provides minimal or no holes and that is EJ. I hope he has moved up the depth chart after yesterday. Another year of Pipeline-lite is probably more the problem than OC play calls.

But I also acknowledge that in the “glory days” the running game often required two or three quarters to wear down the opposition and we certainly don’t run enough to wear down anyone. But we also have a great young passer to ride and TO never had one as skilled as Raiola. (Maybe Ferragamo and Berringer were close.)
EJ should have been the 1 or 2 back all year. Not sure what Barthel or Sat or Rhule has been watching.

Correct depth chart:

EJ obvious number one (Can slash up the middle and can always house the ball)
Donte number two (When you want to run power and set a tone)
Rhamir (when you are in an obvious passing down)
Gabe (when Donte is getting breathing treatments, and you still want to go downhill)

The running game in the glory days didn't often require 2 or 3 quarters to wear anyone down. When Osborne decided he was going to run option out of the pro I people thought he was nuts. What it allowed him to do was to stretch the field horizontally and vertically simultaneously and his offenses were doing things to opponents not seen before. He often had enough points on the board by half to have the W. Instead of packing it in, he kept running his system, rewarding his bench who busted their ass all week in practice with meaningful snaps running his offense. Look at how many years Osborne won rushing titles. All those rushing yards didn't come in the third and fourth quarters.

You bring up a good point but I think we’ve been pretty balanced overall with the play calling. My complaint is we dont ride with one back enough.

Sadly we don’t have a good enough line yet to open lanes for the running backs.. They can’t even be counted on to get one yard. In many 3rd and 1 situations they piss down their pants and false start
This is, and has been my issue for quite a few years now and it seems to just transfer, no matter the coaching staff.

The RB never has a chance to get into a rhythm when you swap them out every 2 or 3 plays.

Reactions: king_kong_
We rushed 32 times and passed 26 times yesterday. Not sure why this question is constantly asked….
It gives people the idea we don't run enough because we pass when it feels like we need to run. Truth is our OL still can't knock people off the ball when other teams know we are going to run so we tend to pass in those situations imo.

Reactions: dpnavy
Rahmir has the best homerun/elite speed out of the group. The coaches have preached about turning an 8 yard play into an 80 yard play and I think they see RJ doing that the most in practice, so that's why it's translated to reps in games. That said, I am thrilled with EJ. Really all of our backs. We have some studs and the coaches do a pretty good job of rolling them all through.

for some, anything less than 80% run isn't running the ball.
We are running the ball 53 percent of the time. I don't feel there needs to be a percentage. I do however know that in Nebraska, and in the Big Ten, if you are throwing 47 percent of the time, you better be Ohio St. They won't win a national title throwing the way they do either. Ironically the last time they won it all they ran it at a 63 percent clip. Tom Herman was promoted away, Ryan Day elevated and Meyer lost his X's and O's. Now they get punched in the mouth any time they play someone who has just slightly lesser talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT