ADVERTISEMENT

I found this insightful about Covid-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is factually inaccurate. The protests did not increase any cases noticeably anywhere that has been shown yet. They have discovered through that experience that the reason for that is the virus is very hard to transmit in the outdoor air.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommyb...ause-spike-in-coronavirus-cases/#35a6e81b7dac

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/safety-quality/little-evidence-protests-spread-coronavirus-us

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-protests.html

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...-tell-about-cluster-spread-of-the-coronavirus
Tens of thousands of people crammed together, shouting and going ape shit has not effect on virus transmission?
Sure...

Tens of thousands of people crammed together, shouting and going ape shit has not effect on virus transmission?
Sure...

Well I hope everyone reading this thread just got to witness what you did right there, i.e., ignore evidence to sustain your own incorrect belief!

It wasn't very good evidence.
Funny how cases spiked following a month of daily protests.
They are selfish people.

"It wasn't very good evidence." = "I don't like the evidence so I will denigrate it because I've learned that ignorant technique from take-a-guess."

Reactions: TerranPetteway
I disagree. Ones who feel intellectually superior tend to have a bigger problem admitting they are wrong. Thus leading them to stay wrong, ironically, and not being right.

Talk about confirmation bias. Your comment is belied by the studies. But you chose to cling to your erroneous beliefs over science. I have a feeling that because scientists are saying something you don't want to hear, you are sticking to your false assertion. In my experience with research scientists, they are very willing to admit error. Their professional lives demand it. I have little doubt that there are those at the very tops of their various professions who have become welded into a set position because they have spent their entire professional lives supporting that position, but it definitely isn't the case with the younger research scientists I know.

Talk about confirmation bias. Your comment is belied by the studies. But you chose to cling to your erroneous beliefs over science. I have a feeling that because scientists are saying something you don't want to hear, you are sticking to your false assertion. In my experience with research scientists, they are very willing to admit error. Their professional lives demand it. I have little doubt that there are those at the very tops of their various professions who have become welded into a set position because they have spent their entire professional lives supporting that position, but it definitely isn't the case with the younger research scientists I know.
their professional lives demand they tow the line
science throughout history has often been political

If outside protests doesn't spread the virus, why have they been canceling outside events all around the country?

their professional lives demand they tow the line
science throughout history has often been political

If outside protests doesn't spread the virus, why have they been canceling outside events all around the country?
That is categorically false and one of the reasons tenure exists in university systems...so scientists can be free to disagree with “accepted” paradigms without fear of retribution or losing their jobs

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
That is categorically false and one of the reasons tenure exists in university systems...so scientists can be free to disagree with “accepted” paradigms without fear of retribution or losing their jobs
if only that were the case. Many are in academic hiding in fear of being outed.
Being fired isn't the only way to punish dissenters

Covid doesn’t do well in heat Phoenix was 116 yesterday and had the largest hospital admittance to date this Wacko is hoping to become trumps medical spokesperson, she fits the bill
Not many people head outside in Phoenix when the temp hits 116. People sitting in air conditioned facilities lends itself to the spread of COVID. I've said for weeks that we should open bars BUT make them turn off the AC and open all of the doors and windows wide open. The only AC allowed should be a huge fan at one end of the building changing the air every few minutes. Tough to do today with today's modern buildings.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
That is factually inaccurate. The protests did not increase any cases noticeably anywhere that has been shown yet. They have discovered through that experience that the reason for that is the virus is very hard to transmit in the outdoor air.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommyb...ause-spike-in-coronavirus-cases/#35a6e81b7dac

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/safety-quality/little-evidence-protests-spread-coronavirus-us

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-protests.html

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...-tell-about-cluster-spread-of-the-coronavirus
You say something is not factually correct and then you cite NPR, the NY Times, Forbes and modernhealthcare.com? You can likewise find scientific opinions and data to support the idea that in fact the protests did cause a rise in cases in those cities at about the 3-1/2 week mark as would be expected in most other viral epidemiological investigations. It isn't just the people who participated in the protests who would be affected. It's the people they in turn infect. If someone gets infected I believe the rough average of other people who they infect is somewhere between 4 and 10 depending on who you read. By the time you reach the point where the virus has been passed several time after the original infection of the protestor, you'll see a statistically significant rise in cases. I've seen published data that supports a stronger correlation to the protests in Houston and LA than to any other event. It is COMPLETELY illogical to believe that those protests didn't facilitate spread of COVID.

I'm not sure if it is education or not, but I think you hit in on the head a little bit with the other pieces of the sentence. Right now Covid-19 has morphed into a huge political issue. If you are a Rep you aren't listening to a damn thing a Dem person has to say about it and vice versa. Your strong beliefs are jaded. I will say there are plenty of people that are in the right head space to sift through the information and draw their own conclusions, but that seems few and far between.

I do also hate everyone trying to draw conclusions on states based on their political affiliation. There are so many factors that drive this virus and trying to just say it is a Republicans or Democrats state leadership problem is dumb to me. Colorado is a blue state that opened basically they exact time Florida and Texas did. Why aren't they having the same issue? Is it that temps are nicer and people are able to stay outside vs. the stifling heat of the South?

Maybe at some point in this country we can get over the politics of this shit and focus on the facts and move in the direction that those facts lay out. Yes you are always going to have politics involved, but right now it's so polarizing that I want to vomit.
IF some media outlets would quit using every single COVID story as an opportunity to bash the President maybe we could get past the politics on this. Our national TV media is terrible and people are too lazy to seek out more intelligent news articles. Hell the NY Times fired anybody who wouldn't support the extreme left viewpoint this past month. Reuters has become my go to source for most of my information. USA Today has really tilted the past month. They're openly campaigning for Biden in their editorials. The LA Times has at least run a few articles on this virus that IMO are scientifically sound using Lewitt. as a source. I long for the days where it was difficult to decipher which political spectrum the news outlet might favor.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and WHCSC
You say something is not factually correct and then you cite NPR, the NY Times, Forbes and modernhealthcare.com? You can likewise find scientific opinions and data to support the idea that in fact the protests did cause a rise in cases in those cities at about the 3-1/2 week mark as would be expected in most other viral epidemiological investigations. It isn't just the people who participated in the protests who would be affected. It's the people they in turn infect. If someone gets infected I believe the rough average of other people who they infect is somewhere between 4 and 10 depending on who you read. By the time you reach the point where the virus has been passed several time after the original infection of the protestor, you'll see a statistically significant rise in cases. I've seen published data that supports a stronger correlation to the protests in Houston and LA than to any other event. It is COMPLETELY illogical to believe that those protests didn't facilitate spread of COVID.

I did! But I'm back now.

The protests happened starting May 26th. That was 6 weeks ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests#Impact_on_COVID-19_transmission

"Researchers reported that the protests did not appear to be driving an increase in coronavirus transmission.[327] A study by the National Bureau of Economic Research issued in June 2020 found "no evidence that urban protests reignited COVID-19 case growth during the more than three weeks following protest onset",[328] as well as "no evidence that net COVID-19 case growth differentially rose following the onset of Black Lives Matter protests, and even modest evidence of a small longer-run case growth decline."[328] Epidemiologists and other researchers suggested the protests had a relatively low impact on COVID-19 transmission because the protests took place outdoors where the virus is less likely to spread as compared to indoors;[327][329] because many protesters wore masks;[329] and because persons who demonstrated made up a small portion of the overall U.S. population (about 6% of adults).[330]"

But please, tell me again how my data is wrong and yours, which you will not show and rarely ever do, is right.

Having bars and restaurants open and people openly flaunting the distancing and mask rules while indoors is a major factor in spreading the virus.

IF some media outlets would quit using every single COVID story as an opportunity to bash the President maybe we could get past the politics on this. Our national TV media is terrible and people are too lazy to seek out more intelligent news articles. Hell the NY Times fired anybody who wouldn't support the extreme left viewpoint this past month. Reuters has become my go to source for most of my information. USA Today has really tilted the past month. They're openly campaigning for Biden in their editorials. The LA Times has at least run a few articles on this virus that IMO are scientifically sound using Lewitt. as a source. I long for the days where it was difficult to decipher which political spectrum the news outlet might favor.

Maybe that's because Trump sucks and has made everything about this country worse.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/9253...even-though-didnt-exist-during-administration

DURRRRRR.

I did! But I'm back now.

The protests happened starting May 26th. That was 6 weeks ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests#Impact_on_COVID-19_transmission

"Researchers reported that the protests did not appear to be driving an increase in coronavirus transmission.[327] A study by the National Bureau of Economic Research issued in June 2020 found "no evidence that urban protests reignited COVID-19 case growth during the more than three weeks following protest onset",[328] as well as "no evidence that net COVID-19 case growth differentially rose following the onset of Black Lives Matter protests, and even modest evidence of a small longer-run case growth decline."[328] Epidemiologists and other researchers suggested the protests had a relatively low impact on COVID-19 transmission because the protests took place outdoors where the virus is less likely to spread as compared to indoors;[327][329] because many protesters wore masks;[329] and because persons who demonstrated made up a small portion of the overall U.S. population (about 6% of adults).[330]"

But please, tell me again how my data is wrong and yours, which you will not show and rarely ever do, is right.

Having bars and restaurants open and people openly flaunting the distancing and mask rules while indoors is a major factor in spreading the virus.
now do fans in stadiums, which are also outdoors, can require masks and make up a small population of US adults.

if that science is correct, it should be applied consistently and assuage worry.

Last edited:

Bingo! Here in Texas we have been open since may 1

I don't disagree. I just wish more people focused on the facts of what is actually happening vs. buying into what FoxNews of MSNBC is trying to warp your brain into thinking. I try to find some people off of some of the podcasts I listen to to try to see if they give me a better idea of what is happening. Just so tired of trying to wade through the BS through media outlets. I do like when you bring some of that to the table and enjoy your perspective as you seem to have a load of knowledge in the area or are connected. Although that could be BS as this is a message board.

A month long daily protest/riots was much more non-essential than bars opening.

Contact tracers being barred from asking if ones were at the protests reeks of possible cover-up.

I disagree entirely, and so do the majority of Americans. These protests were important to spur change, and they are continuing because so many Americans believe in that change now, and are also out of work and angry.

Your arguments are bad ones and don't stand up to much scrutiny. But, that's fine. It's up to you to change your mind, not anyone else.

I disagree entirely, and so do the majority of Americans. These protests were important to spur change, and they are continuing because so many Americans believe in that change now, and are also out of work and angry.

Your arguments are bad ones and don't stand up to much scrutiny. But, that's fine. It's up to you to change your mind, not anyone else.
you like the riots for obvious reasons.

If there’s actual change, I agree. One college football season and probably thousands lost due to COVID isn’t much of a price to pay to affect much needed reform going forward.

That’s a big ‘if’, unfortunately.

if protests were safe, I have no idea why there’s any debate whatsoever about having half-full stadiums for football.

If there’s actual change, I agree. One college football season and probably thousands lost due to COVID isn’t much of a price to pay to affect much needed reform going forward.

if protests were safe, I have no idea why there’s any debate whatsoever about having half-full stadiums for football.
The change will be more of the same marxist BS that plagues this country

Just to step into that one: yeah, I agree that you could probably do outdoor sports with some % capacity where people stayed a certain amount of space apart and you did temp checks and stuff as people came in (not saying even half capacity, you have to let the experts drive that number). I think it's a huge hassle, but I wouldn't be opposed to it, as research and data is indicating quite strongly that this disease is not nearly as easy to spread outdoors, where it gets diluted very quickly, as it is indoors, where human aerosol just sits and recycles.

Just to step into that one: yeah, I agree that you could probably do outdoor sports with some % capacity where people stayed a certain amount of space apart and you did temp checks and stuff as people came in (not saying even half capacity, you have to let the experts drive that number). I think it's a huge hassle, but I wouldn't be opposed to it, as research and data is indicating quite strongly that this disease is not nearly as easy to spread outdoors, where it gets diluted very quickly, as it is indoors, where human aerosol just sits and recycles.
Why would experts need any input if they’ve already weighed in on a much less regulated event and gave it a thumbs-up?

There were zero of those controls in place, and no problemo according to them. Right?

Why would experts need any input if they’ve already weighed in on a much less regulated event and gave it a thumbs-up?

There were zero of those controls in place, and no problemo according to them. Right?

Well, as you said, the protests were spontaneous and just sort of happened on the streets. What you're talking about differs because it is a sanctioned athletic event hosted by a public or private entity with possible liability for providing a safe environment for the fans, players, and coaches. I'm just saying I wouldn't get fixated on half capacity, they may say its only safe or feasible, with the added checks that they will probably require, to do 30% or something.

Well, as you said, the protests were spontaneous and just sort of happened on the streets. What you're talking about differs because it is a sanctioned athletic event hosted by a public or private entity with possible liability for providing a safe environment for the fans, players, and coaches. I'm just saying I wouldn't get fixated on half capacity, they may say its only safe or feasible, with the added checks that they will probably require, to do 30% or something.
umm.. yea, maybe they 'just happened' on the first day. every day following, they were very much organized, even playing host to the very policy makers who are dangling the keys to the football season over the public's head like they're toddlers who don't get what they want if they don't comply.

no regulations, no crowd limits, no problem.

certainly you can see how this might be confusing to some looking to apply science consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT