ADVERTISEMENT

I am bored so....

Because Michigan has more raw talent than we do and lately we have made a habit of making bad teams look good (see Illinois game this year.). In other words ... we never pull off any upsets anymore. We never punch above our weight class and often punch down to a lower weight class. We have not had a really "special" win where we outplayed a team with superior talent and won in a long, long, long time.
Last time with TMart at Washington? Or at KState?

Reactions: bshirt73
Because Michigan has more raw talent than we do and lately we have made a habit of making bad teams look good (see Illinois game this year.). In other words ... we never pull off any upsets anymore. We never punch above our weight class and often punch down to a lower weight class. We have not had a really "special" win where we outplayed a team with superior talent and won in a long, long, long time.
2016 Michigan State?

I am already drinking the KoolAid (somewhat diluted this year) and looking forward to next season. I looked at our schedule and at the roster we have coming back. So I thought I would venture a way, way, way too early prediction for this coming season.

Definite losses in my view: Oklahoma and Ohio State
Probable losses: Michigan and Wisconsin.
Probable wins (there are no definite wins for this team anymore): Illinois, Buffalo, Michigan State, Southeastern Louisiana,
Toss ups: Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota

Assuming we win all of our "probables" and that we split the toss ups that would put us at 6-6.
There are still so many variables and we do not even yet know if there will be fans in the stadiums in large numbers. If we lose AMart to injury we are down to Smothers. Yikes. And I doubt Martinez stays healthy the whole season. So depth at QB is probably going to cost us at some point. For that reason alone I think 6-6 is our ceiling.

On the other hand, if we catch some breaks this year, and AMart stays healthy, and a running back and receivers emerge, and our defense is improved, and our special teams don't lay turds, we just might have the talent to go 9-3 or 8-4. But I doubt all of those factors will line up.

Nebraska “might have the talent to go above .500 but I am not sure we have the coaching at this point. I don’t want to hear that we are close to turning the corner...actually do it.

Pennsy...I think 6-6 is a possibility but it might be a little bit optimistic based on the last few seasons. I am done drinking the Kool-Aid from the coaches and the Nebraska media.

However, I will hope for the best and want the coaching staff to succeed. They need to show it on the field for this and many other fans in 2021.

kool-aid-man-backs-out-o.gif

Last edited:
I am already drinking the KoolAid (somewhat diluted this year) and looking forward to next season. I looked at our schedule and at the roster we have coming back. So I thought I would venture a way, way, way too early prediction for this coming season.

Definite losses in my view: Oklahoma and Ohio State
Probable losses: Michigan and Wisconsin.
Probable wins (there are no definite wins for this team anymore): Illinois, Buffalo, Michigan State, Southeastern Louisiana,
Toss ups: Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota

Assuming we win all of our "probables" and that we split the toss ups that would put us at 6-6.
There are still so many variables and we do not even yet know if there will be fans in the stadiums in large numbers. If we lose AMart to injury we are down to Smothers. Yikes. And I doubt Martinez stays healthy the whole season. So depth at QB is probably going to cost us at some point. For that reason alone I think 6-6 is our ceiling.

On the other hand, if we catch some breaks this year, and AMart stays healthy, and a running back and receivers emerge, and our defense is improved, and our special teams don't lay turds, we just might have the talent to go 9-3 or 8-4. But I doubt all of those factors will line up.
Now your depressing me, all the things thank needs to get fixed, if nu football is a dumpster fire again this fall I just can’t see frost surviving and I’m really hoping he will be successful

The real depressing thought is having to fire a Husker legend who came with such high hopes and start over - again. Every time we hit the reset button we are further from relevance than ever, and less attractive to the coaching talent needed to turn this around. Concern is we become Kansas-like in trying to find the right guy to lead this forward, vs an Oklahoma or Alabama who wiffed a few times but found the solution and righted the ship. I'm really hoping for success too this season. Just wish hope was all it took.

The real depressing thought is having to fire a Husker legend who came with such high hopes and start over - again. Every time we hit the reset button we are further from relevance than ever, and less attractive to the coaching talent needed to turn this around. Concern is we become Kansas-like in trying to find the right guy to lead this forward, vs an Oklahoma or Alabama who wiffed a few times but found the solution and righted the ship. I'm really hoping for success too this season. Just wish hope was all it took.
My thoughts on Frost are as follows: There are three possibilities...

1. His three losing seasons means he is not a good head coach and never will be a good head coach. So if he has another losing season we should fire him.
OR
2. His three losing seasons means he is a young coach on a learning curve but who has a high ceiling. He has made a lot of mistakes a seasoned coach would not have but he has learned his lessons. And when he gets his legs under him and really gets this humming with the right coaches, talent, chemistry and so on, look out. Once the wins start coming things will turn around quickly. This is his dream job and he will be at NU for a long time.
OR
3. He already is a good head coach but he really did inherit a mess and really did just have some bad luck with injuries and some unexpected recruiting busts. But he is now on the verge of getting us back to winning football.

Right now, my hunch is option #2 is the closest to the truth. And if it is, then we need to be patient and give him time. In some ways I think even Frost let his last season at UCF go to his head and I think he had an inflated sense of his readiness to be a P5 head coach. Hi swagger and bragging in that first press conference were ill advised. He found out quickly that he wasn't as much of a finished product as a coach as he thought he was. But since he really does want to stay at NU and really does love the place, I think he puts his arrogance and swagger aside and starts to make the changes that are needed. I think he is already doing that.

Reactions: bshirt73
My thoughts on Frost are as follows: There are three possibilities...

1. His three losing seasons means he is not a good head coach and never will be a good head coach. So if he has another losing season we should fire him.
OR
2. His three losing seasons means he is a young coach on a learning curve but who has a high ceiling. He has made a lot of mistakes a seasoned coach would not have but he has learned his lessons. And when he gets his legs under him and really gets this humming with the right coaches, talent, chemistry and so on, look out. Once the wins start coming things will turn around quickly. This is his dream job and he will be at NU for a long time.
OR
3. He already is a good head coach but he really did inherit a mess and really did just have some bad luck with injuries and some unexpected recruiting busts. But he is now on the verge of getting us back to winning football.

Right now, my hunch is option #2 is the closest to the truth. And if it is, then we need to be patient and give him time. In some ways I think even Frost let his last season at UCF go to his head and I think he had an inflated sense of his readiness to be a P5 head coach. Hi swagger and bragging in that first press conference were ill advised. He found out quickly that he wasn't as much of a finished product as a coach as he thought he was. But since he really does want to stay at NU and really does love the place, I think he puts his arrogance and swagger aside and starts to make the changes that are needed. I think he is already doing that.

I tend to agree with on #2 and he has to learn the hard way with some of his comments he has made since he arrived..

As far is #3 is concerned he did inherit a mess especially where the program had suffered with strength and conditioning under the Riley regime and running the WCO..

He knows he better make some changes now that he has had time playing in the Big 10 conference. He is no longer playing in the American Conference where you pass more times than running the football...

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Yes but they did win a national championship under Gene Stallings in 1992

Unfortunately, our futility is more severe than anything Alabama went through. In the 25 years between Bryant and Saban, they only had 4 losing seasons with no back to back years. Only 2 of their 6 coaches had winning % significantly below 70%. In the 23 seasons since Osborne (can that be right?), we have had 7 losing seasons, including 5 of the past 6, with only 2 of 5 coaches having winning %'s significantly over 50%.

Like others, I really hope Frost can grow into the job, but its time to show some sustained momentum.

Unfortunately, our futility is more severe than anything Alabama went through. In the 25 years between Bryant and Saban, they only had 4 losing seasons with no back to back years. Only 2 of their 6 coaches had winning % significantly below 70%. In the 23 seasons since Osborne (can that be right?), we have had 7 losing seasons, including 5 of the past 6, with only 2 of 5 coaches having winning %'s significantly over 50%.

Like others, I really hope Frost can grow into the job, but its time to show some sustained momentum.
How is Nebraska a place you can grow into a job? How low do we settle? If you can’t coach at Nebraska then you don’t need to be the coach. It should not be a place where you learn how to be a power 5 Coach.

How is Nebraska a place you can grow into a job? How low do we settle? If you can’t coach at Nebraska then you don’t need to be the coach. It should not be a place where you learn how to be a power 5 Coach.
I agree, to me being the head coach at Nebraska should be considered one of the top 15 or so jobs in the country.

I agree, to me being the head coach at Nebraska should be considered one of the top 15 or so jobs in the country.
Unfortunately it’s not a top 15 job anymore. Maybe not even s top 30 job. We are one of the worst teams in the BIG , we need to realize that .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT